1&1cannot cancel the contract

R

I purchased a domain and web hosting this week. The service I got cost more initially that advertised but agreed to that. Struggled to log in. Tried to get through to them on phone to get help getting online but never got through to a person. I was just stuck on hold.
I eventually did get onto the control panel and found the service was very restricted in what i could and couldn't do, to the point it wasn't a suitable host for me at all.

It had stated 30 day money back return so i cancelled through the control panel. It confirmed cancellation but said i needed to confirm by phone.
I repeatedly tried calling the number but could not get through to a person to cancel.

I emailed the email contact highlighted in the cancellation confirmation email but have had no response. The cancellation request expires after 7 days, which i am in danger of not meeting because i can't get through.

In the cancellation part of the website it says the number is toll-free and available 24/7.

Today i managed to get through to a representative. He told me he couldn't help because the cancelation team only work Mon- Fri until 8. He said i could try emailing the team but that i would need to ring back Monday. He didn't provide an email address. Told me he could try to get them to call me back, but when i gave him my number he interrupted and said he was giving me their number. It is the same number I had called.

I asked if I could cancel in writing. He said maybe, but then said no. He didn't know. He said i could try but i would probably need to ring back Monday. I said if i wrote in with recorded post would it be ignored. He said he didn't know, then yes.

I then asked how i am supposed to call in the week if I am working full-time and then when i get home I can't get through to a person. He said he knew it was difficult but I had to ring back.

As far as I can see they are making it nearly impossible to cancel. It's misleading and I only hope the claim it is toll-free is at least true or I will have one heck of a bill for the time spent on hold.

• Pv
    PVQ Jan 14, 2017

I'm also having difficulty in cancelling the contract with them. I have complete the cancellation process, but the contract is still not cancelled. I repeated so many times, but no luck. It is so obvious that they intentionally make the cancellation process very troublesome to steal money from customers. IMO this company should be shutdown by authorities