Xoom.comI should've used Western Union

I used this company since i wanted to send money to my family in the Philippines for their new year celebration. This company promised a fast, reliable, and smart way to send money so i tried them out, now, i realize i should have just used western union. Here's the problem: dec. 29 we used their website to send $250 to the Philippines (= to php 10,043). The following day, my sister texted us that they (banco de oro - xoom's releasing affiliate) only gave her php 6,300. Our credit card has already been charged the $250 + $14 transaction fee + $8 finance charge, and still, my family has yet to receive the full amount up to now, and it's already jan. 2 in the Philippines. I called their customer service and they said it would take 3 business days to clear this, which is bullcrap because they already have my money and that money was meant for my family to celebrate the holidays. I asked to talk to a supervisor but the agent said he/she was out of the building.

• Ho
    Hosanixp Nov 19, 2018

Xoom is the most [censored]ed up product out there..This is for scammers and don't use because you will be scammed on there unless you are sending money to family that you are sure of...

• Pr
    princess banaag Aug 20, 2016

i receive text for xoom.com. and i receive money for lucky??? who is he or she??and the money is only 26, 899 something..so im curious that..scamming here

Xoom Customer Service Feb 06, 2014

Hello Maxh,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you would send me an email to [email protected] I'll gladly assist you further and help resolve the issue.

maxh Jan 31, 2014

I tried to use xoom.com after having read positive reviews. I spent quite a while giving them all possible information, faxing my passport and proof of address. Waited for a few days for the transaction to get through. Then they finally told me that they are unable "verify your profile". They didn't tell me why. It's my bank account, my credit card and my address which is on the driver's license. They also won't tell me what the problem with my profile is. I feel criminalized, even though it's probably just a problem in one of their procedures.

Xoom Customer Service Jul 29, 2013

Hello Menchie 17,

I'm sorry to hear that someone stole your private financial information and used it to attempt to send a Xoom transaction. However, please know that you are not responsible for fraud. Our anti-fraud team has most likely already cancelled the transaction, but please do send us an email to [email protected] and I will see to it that one of our agents from that department contacts you right away.

• Me
    Menchie17 Jul 24, 2013

Now i dnt have any money in my bank account because of this $600 unathorized transaction... We should do a class action lawsuit..im so disappointed with xoom never will i send money again thru xoom.

• Me
    Menchie17 Jul 24, 2013

Is there a way we can sue xoom for doing this unauthorized transaction. They should be double checking the id of the person getting the money.

Xoom Customer Service Mar 20, 2013

Hello,

We do apologize for any inconvenience. However, we must verify all transactions, and at times that requires additional information from customers so that we can verify their account information. It is not only for compliance purposes that we do this, it is also for the safety of our customers and their sensitive information. You can send me a message to [email protected] and I will gladly review your case.

• Sl
    slickdeals Mar 13, 2013

The company disabled my account and wont provide any means online to re-activate it. Callling the CSR, which got routed a 3rd world country, asked for personal information which I dont care to share with people from 3rd world country.
    The CSR did not even offer to help with account reactivation and was borderline rude. I wont do business with them again.

• Ib
    Ibbang Jun 03, 2012

I was referred by a friend. Also, their commercial on TFC and in the internet said that when you refer a friend, you both get a $25.00 gift certificate and if you send money through Xoom.com until June 9, you also get the Pacquiao's promo. However, I had to cancel my first transaction because when my brother went and get the money, he texted me and told me that he can not get the money until 3 or more days. So i called the customer service and yes, they confirmed that it's true of what my brother told me. I got an advise that to send money in a faster way, I can use my credit card and those first 3 transactions that I cancelled wasn't considered as my first transaction. So I used my credit card because my brother needed the money so bad. I had to wait 3 hours or until 2:30 in the morning to watch the availability of my transaction. Good thing about it is my brother got the money after a long hours of waiting! Unfortunately, my friend and I didn't get the $25.00 reward because of the cancellation of my first transaction. If I should've known that this will happen? I never, never, never send money through XOOM.COM!!! What makes me upset is the very next day, I got an email from them saying that I can refer a friend to get the $25.00 reward!!!What a "BS"!!!

Joh6514 Apr 09, 2011

Before using any computer to send money everyone should have a good firewall and run a virus scan before trying to send money

• Sc
    Scuba guy Feb 25, 2011

I completely disagree with these complaints. Maybe the people have no credit or they are making a scam themselves. I have used xoom many times with the money being available in less than 2 hours, and the only delay comes from my bank. If you send money Friday night it will not clear until Monday.

Mae_C Feb 01, 2011

I should have read this before sending money... they are such a hoax ... the reason why they are free is because they are just lessening the conversion I thought they will give the money in dollar and i never knew their scam was to send it in peso the current exchange rate is 44.08 but their exchange rate is 43.5 so even i cancelled the service they still go ahead and do it, bottomline they will just promise it will be cancel but they are just trying to to defuse my rage... never again

• Ke
    kekwatile masipa Jan 27, 2011

Xoom is definately not the company to use if you want to have a peace of mind when transferring your money. They have consusltants that do not know what are doing, not well trained. This company is the worst company do business with. If you go with them, you stand the chance of losing you moeny with no definate answers. Its been a while since my last transfer that was not successful and i keep getting a run around answer.
    Be advised that if u want to lose money, have a headache, not get a straight answer, poor service, incompetent staff than Xoom is the company for you

• Ta
    TagaCebu II Jan 26, 2011

Go to a bank with branches in your country, or shipping agents with personal counter to send and a personal counter to verify the receiver. But the best is a Debit Card like Excella, Netspend. Make copy and mail your love ones the card. Use the internet to buy and refill them. Check if your bank has a direct deposit to Excella or Netspend. Be aware that others are bad. They have monthly $5 charge, balance check fees etc and bad service. Control the card by changing the password over the Web. You alone can change. Next money transfer will be easy fast and cheaper. Deposit or Web transfer to refill the VISA debit card. Inform your love one of the new password to withdraw. In US, I like Excella based on $400 max per day withdrawl the cost will be:$1.50 for Excella and a $5 for foreign withdraw and $<2.50 local country ATM fee. Banks today charge 3% of amount, service charge to deposit and ATM fees. A single money transfer to Philippines is best by PNB, Metrobank USA. Johnny AirCargo is best due to strict ID checking even if you are a frequent customer.

• Ju
    judgeme Dec 19, 2010

use western union fast and legite!

MARIO FIGEAC Oct 16, 2010

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE FACT THAT ANOTHER PERSON FEELS THAT THERE IS NOT A CANCELLATION POLICY WITHIN XOOM.COM
    I CANCELLED A TRANSACTION 12 HOURS AGO, AND YET THEIR PARTNER IN EL SALVADOR, CENTRAL AMERICA WENT AHEAD AND PAY THE $25 TO THE RECIPIENT, DESPITE OF THE FACT THAT I INSTRUCTED TO STOP THE PAYMENT AND CANCEL THE TRANSACTION. I WILL NEVER USE THEIR SERVICES AGAIN. WELL FARGO BANK IN TOWN CHARGES ME WAY LESS THAN XOOM.COM, SO I WILL GO BACK TO DOING BUSINESS WITH MY BANK. IN THE MEANTIME I WILL ADDRESS THE MATTER WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU OF CALIFORNIA, THE FTC, AND THE BANKING OFFICE THAT HAS AUTHORIZED XOOM CORP TO HANDLE OVERSEAS TRANSACTIONS FROM CALIFORNIA.

MARIO FIGEAC Oct 16, 2010

I sent $ 25 to someone that i just met on line from El Salvador via Xoom.com services, on 10/15/10. Shortly thereafter, at 11 pm on 10/15/10 I called xoom to check if the funds have been picked up or not, and i was informed that in fact the money was still available for pickup. I then cancelled the transaction, and I was sent an email confirming the cancellations of the funds transfer. Today, 10/16/10, I was informed by xoom.com that the money was cashed around 10:00 am. I have contacted xoom.com customer service, and i have been told that there is nothing they can do about the cancellation notice, despite the fact that it was sent about 12 hours before the payment of funds took place!!! I requested to speak to a supervisor, and I was informed that someone will call me in the course of the day to that effect. I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND THEIR SERVICES, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH XOOM.COM VERY UNRELIABLE, PAYMENTS ARE USUALLY DELAYED FOR AT LEAST 3 DAYS, OR SO. I WILL NEVER USE THEIR SERVICES AGAIN.

• Br
    Brianc64 Aug 29, 2010

When I send money it's usually an emergency. Xoom was great when I first started using it, but now every time I use it I get Xoom Processing with an estimate of a weeks time to complete. I think this will be the last time. Other wire sevices cost more but they are instant. I think Xoom is holding my money waiting for a better exchange rate for themselves.

• Sn
    snowydeejay Aug 28, 2010

Xoom needs closing down...how do we achieve that?

• Sn
    snowydeejay Aug 28, 2010

To whom it may concern

Looks like your days are numbered. Stop stealing from people.

Xoom.com — I should've used Western Union

I sent that to xoom as they have treated me like [censor].

• Yo
    yourluckytree Aug 24, 2010

My family have 9 days going to differents office and stores for pick up the money 200 dollars, no body answer about the money, this company is absolute unorganized is terrible customer service.

my family pay 140 dollars in taxis and I send 200.00, right now i am trying xomm.com refund me my money and no body say Yes I can help You this is for 10 days more, Western union is more expensive but is good service.

Be careful You need thinking a lot before send money for this company xomm.com.

[email protected] is my email We can help more people and show the good business way to this bad company.

MadConsumer1 Aug 22, 2010

RazaRizvi if I were you, I would contact your Attorney Generals office in the state you live and report them for theft. Not only does this company need to be shut down, but the top guys there need to be put in prison for there crimes. XOOM is the biggest scam I have ever seen, and I have seen many!

• Ra
    RazaRizvi Aug 22, 2010

I’ve had a very bad experience with xoom. We sent $400 to a needy relative in India from US. For some reason, the person who was supposed to receive it was not able to visit the bank for a few days. When he did manage to go to the bank, he found out that the name of the receiving party was changed and someone else withdrew the $400. When we called customer service we were told that they got a message requesting the change from our email. We checked our outgoing emails and no email was sent from us. The customer service refused to help further in this matter. Apparently someone inside this shady company is committing the fraud. We had to send the money again using some other service.

• Kw
    kwakkid Aug 12, 2010

I have been monitoring Xoom.com for couple days, because I noticed that their exchange rate was out of date and was about %5 lower than it should.
    Their customer service said, their exchange rate gets updated once every night from Bloomberg's. So I waited and see if they truly update.

After few days observation, I believe they really haven't updated up to true market exchange/transfer rate.
    In case of transferring money from US to S. Korea, they are banking on extra %4-5% of your money.

Their shady practice of business worries me and I think I rather pay few more dollars and use other services available at bank.

• Ca
    Calle Tayco Aug 02, 2010

Wow, these complaints (lots of them) are scary. I should have read the reviews/complaints first before I sent money via Xoom. I agree, sending money via Xoom was frustrating. My bank was credited already and I didn't get notification that money is ready for pick up after 6 days. I am wondering if they playing the "float". I would not recommend sending money via Xoom.

Xoom Customer Service Jun 30, 2010

Hello Fourourright,

My name is Matthew and I am a manager here at Xoom. I apologize for any inconveneince. Please send me an email to [email protected] and please make mention of your post on complaintsboard.com and I will look into this issue right away.

• Fo
    forourright Jun 26, 2010

I sent my money to China on June 14 2010. Now it is June 26 2010 my family has been to the post office for 5 times still has not received the money. What Xoom does? We should get together to see our Attorney General for our right.
    Everybody, let me know how to contact with you.

johnfuzzy Jun 09, 2010

very vulgar language posted in complaint by dennis

• Da
    Daveowen55 May 17, 2010

I sent Monie to England on the basis of there adverts ...24 hrs anywhere in the world...Well 3 days later and the monie was still not there. I talked to there customer service..VERY VERY RUDE PEOPLE... and was told it was clearing. I instructed XOOM to cancel the transaction, and was told NO we carnt. I contacted my band and for a $29 fee put a freeze on any and all transactions this company my try.
    THIS cOMPANY SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN... It is quite clear that it is a RIP OFF ...SCAM Company. Has anyone noted any address on there web site ??????? WHO excatly are they. IF YOU USE THIS COMPANY BE IT AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

• Pa
    paul65717 May 15, 2010

I was happy with xoom and used them several times with no problems, , , , , then for no reason, , , , they cancelled my account and no longer will allow me to use their service, , , , , , have tried many times to find out what happened, , , , , but no answers from them

MadConsumer1 May 04, 2010

I have been using XOOM for a while now. All of a sudden i get an email from them today, stating the following...

We write to inform you that, after careful review, we have disabled your Xoom account for violations of the Xoom User Agreement, effective immediately.

This decision cannot be appealed, and our customer service team will not be able to discuss the matter with you beyond restating the above.

Nonetheless, if you feel compelled to contact Xoom regarding this decision, you may send an email to us at [email protected]

I read the entire Terms of Service and NO WHERE did I violate anything. I send money to friends in the Philippines. This company is Just a scam. There reps are the dumbest people in the world.

If anyone would like to start a class action Lawsuit against these scammers let me know.

• Di
    diebythesword76 Apr 11, 2010

hi, I am glad I found this free board to post queries about these ###, liars, thieves bearing the name of Xoom
    I have a small software company, I work as a freelancer. I am from South America, I wont tell where I am.
    I received payments from customers all over the world since around 1 year or more
    Now just "suddenly" and without any explanation, everytime someones tries sending me money for my services I got a transaction "CANCELLED" message because of my "inability" to receive funds :) HILARIOUS RIGHT ??
    FUNNY I JUST TRIED MY MOM BEING A RECEIVER OF THE MONEY AND I GOT HER CANCELLED AS WELL ! NOW IS ALSO SHE UNABLE TO RECEIVE FUNDS ? :) WHY?

I think I had been getting around $600 a/month through Xoom from over 1 whole year, consecutive. Why dont you make your own math to see what you did earn with me (this one that now is unable to receive funds) on every FEE you charged during one whole year ? Now you say now that I am not a fully qualified receiver of money

GRAB THIS

you didnt CONSIDER me I was a non-qualified receiver when you worked with me and my customers and actually GOT A PROFIT from me during 1 whole bloody year, maybe 1k during a whole year based on the sending fees you charged

###ing ###, I wont ever use Xoom again in my life
    you are lucky I dont place a lawsuit against you for all the harms and damages made towards my company and the consequences this will arise
    Did you know that Moneygram online is only meant to be used in USA? Did you know a paypal cheque delays 15 days to come from USA to anywhere in the world ?

Not to mention not every customer has the time to go to a moneygram office to make you the transfer .
    What about Western Union? Great service, but expensive as a ### . Just $17.95 for sending $100

Xoom is the worst ### ever. There's no english word able to describe the level of anger I have at this moment against this company

Marcos Skayff Mar 31, 2010

I have also been using xoom.com for the last 5 month. I have to say that I did seveal succesful transactions with their service. I used to send money to Uruguay from my PayPal account. Last march 15th, 2010 I did some other money transfer using xoom, but this time they were not able to complete the transaction. They argumented any kind of technical issues, and finally the transaction never took place. In the day number 7 I asked for a refund to my PayPal account, and guess what? 10 days after I´m still waiting for it! No news about my money. I hope I can recover my money back soon. I do not recommend the use of Xoom.com at this moment. In fact, now I can label them as thieves. And be sure nobody wants to deal with thieves.

jan44 Mar 09, 2010

im from holland and used also xoom. Last week xoom determinated my xoom account the tell me in a mail that the view my transactions and have see violations off the user agrements. The tell not what for vioalations and their was no allowens to complane.
    I send money to the filipijnen to a famely that needs its coz the are very poor i do this for a long time and help them whit it.
    Xoom play for god and say its not oke what your doing and termenated the account.
    I would say the have no right to do this but the are above the law i think.
    Very bad im gone use western union and hope that xoom or the people that do this from xoom get a penalty and no bonus.

I will tell everybody of my friends and collega that send money to other countres not to use xoom

• Mi
    MielMair Mar 05, 2010

I agree!!! They should change their advertisement! "IN MINUTES!"... well I was very curious about their company and I tried it. When my brother needed money for emergency on March 3, 2010 I sent him money and when I called my brother he said it's not yet available. And I wondered.. I have enough funds in my account and I didn't know what the problem was. So I called customer service and told me that the money is on their "CLEARING PROCESS" I said what? And it will take "4-5 days" excuse me??? I ask the customer service if that happens all the time you send money and CS said "yes sometimes". So lucky for those u sent money and got it pick up "in MINUTES!" Not for me and my brother, he really needs the money and they want us to wait for 4-5 days! I'm so disappointed!!! I was gonna cancel it and if i did, refund will take "5-10 days" to process!
    I will never use XOOM any more!!!

Mario Arenas Jan 07, 2010

well, well, well this company called XOOM I think is doing something with the funds of the senders well this is my bad story with "XOOM" I had been using this sending money company for almost two years, I had couple small problems like waiting even 7+ days for them to deliver the money to my recipient but I thought it was okay because customer service said every time when I called that it was because for security reviews or that they needed clear the transaction by my bank first but primarily was because security reasons because i was using my wells fargo bank account okay I let it that way till this date.
    I got tired of their lies, misinformation of the agents if you ask the a question hardly they answer your question with the complete truth and also the agents have bad attitude, well I went for vacations to Dominican Republic and I had to make a transaction (sending money as always had) from Dominican Republic I tried to send money using my bank account it was canceled so I tried after that my paypal account and it was also canceled, well I called to customer service and they told me the I couldn't make this transaction because "the system" was seeing a IP number from Dominican Republic I said WHAT? if I most of the time I had made the transactions from Dominican Republic and always the transactions went okay(with tenderness but most of them delivered) but after that they told me to add a check card or credit card and that they be willing to make the delivery even if I am not in USA that I can send from any hotel overseas.
    Well guess what? I added this credit card to their so called "SYSTEM" I did the transfer and they got the money right away from my bank account BUT the transfer was canceled in two minutes!!! the got the money even if the transfer they canceled wow! now I need to wait for the refund and the going to take 15 days! wow! they make me really mad... please if some body from an government agency read this please check this so called "XOOM" company I think they are breaking the law with all their WITHHOLDING, LIES, AND VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. so my advice is if you want to send money I recommend other well-known money sending companies, I DO NOT RECOMMEND XOOM AT ALL, this is an unprofessional and unethical company. IT IS A RIP OFF COMPANY

• Je
    Jerry119 Jan 05, 2010

Dear xoom.com,

I cannot tell you how disgusted with your company I am. I used your company to send money to my friend in the Philippines, you then approved it with a confirmation #x061842913426618, and then you cancelled it. This was twice you did this to me. My credit card was charged by you for the $150.00 that was approved and sent, then which you cancelled my transaction, but kept the money from my credit card. You are nothing but a bunch of THIEIVES!!. I will file a complaint with the better business bureau, my attorney will file a lawsuit against your company for false claims and misleading company promises of fast quick easy money transfer to the Philippines, and theft.
    Everyone in the Philippines says the same thing aboutyour xoom.com company. I will never, never again, even consider, or attempt to use your company again, and further more, as a retired year U.S. Military Veteran, I will be sending out this e-mail to all the Military and Veterans web sites warning them about your bad, lying, theiving, company and tell them not to use your company.

Regards,
    Mr. Gerard Demelfi
    US Military Veteran

• Cf
    cft49 Dec 24, 2009

Xoom, their collections dept i give credit too great responce, Melissa "FABULOUS" but here is the SNAG, because i brought their service into disrute T O S. I been barred by the service, Their raymond gel inverification he just has control over all, if he dont like your attitude then he just CANCEL, s your ACCOUNT and bars you. His Boss George garcia he dont even have the respect to call you back, he just ignores you.. anyway this was 17th DEC 2009 took me 4 days to sort..and i did not loose any money, but all the hassle over a computer hitch.
    phone numbers to call.. direct lines. Raymond [protected]. George garcia "Director. [protected]... account collections [protected]..fax [protected].

Forget customer services they not even linked to VERIFICATIONS so you only get standard letter in replies.
    CALL THE DIRECTOR [protected] GEORGE GARCIA...
    Mind think he just ignore you also.
    I have reported this company to PAYPAL and also will be writing to Fed Burea also.

DONT USE XOOM...

• Le
    lex Macdonald Dec 21, 2009

I too tried to send money to the Philippines and have had trouble, first they sent a email saying thankyou and it had been done then 1 minute later I got another email advising me it had been cancelled although the money was on hold for them and no longer available in my bank account.
    I wrote to them again asking to release the funds and get "canned" responses only I am now in the process of writing to them so often that they will release my funds just to get rid of me, I have already done a whois and am seriously considering getting a few friends to march into their offices in San Fransisco. I am only trying to send money there to help a friend who has been robbed and iwho is currently starving over there, now they got the money on hold andI cant use western union or anyone else for that matter until they get off their lazy ### and release my funds.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY THEY ARE CROOKS PROBABLY USING OUR MONEY ON THE SHORT TERM MONEY MARKET!!!