Whirlpool Wfw9400sw01washer

D

We purchased the Whirlpool Duet model number WFW9400SW01 washer and had it installed in November of 2009 (16 months ago) and today I found out that the Motor Control Board needs to be replaced at a cost of $365 just for the part! Also, of course, have to pay to have the problem diagnosed, which was today, and for the return service call to have the part put in. It will, most likely total near $500 and this is to repair a washer that is 16 months old! Can you believe that?!! I called Whirlpool in the hopes that they would consider paying for the part and it was an absolute "no"! I did not purchase the extended warranty and still, after this, wouldn't really consider an extended warranty since they are so pricey - around $269+. I am now in the market for a new washer but will have a difficult time since Whirlpool makes so many washers. They bought out Maytag so even if Maytag washers are "good" they will still be backed by Whirlpool. Whirlpool also makes appliances for Sears (Kenmore) and others. Today it is off to the laundramat while I ponder my next move - one thing I know for certain is that I will stay clear of Whirlpool appliances because the company does not believe in backing their products - such a shame too since they are based in Michigan, my home state!