Viking River Cruises Logo

Viking River Cruises

Having problems with Viking River Cruises?

5700 Canoga Avenue
Sat5:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sun5:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Abandoned by guide

Told by guide to wait at bottom of stairs while he led more agile people for a "five minute" look at a German castle that was not on the tour. He never came back. My wife tried to tell him three times that he forgot those he left behind. When she got it across to him he decided to just leave us and come for us at end of tour. 40 minutes later he returns, refuses to acknowledge he forgot and had refused to return. I however had heard the whole conversation over the tour radios we had been given. I told Viking tour people and they said to submit a complaint card and maybe they would not use him again. Their is no greater tour guide crime than to abandon his customers in a foreign country except for murder and robbery. He should be banned forever. Viking refuses any responsibility.

[Resolved] misleading itineraries and bad organization

I am currently on a Viking cruise through Russia. St petersburg to Moscow
The organization is not focused on customer experience. We get on average 1 hour per day off this boat. We are currently sitting of Yaroslavl refueling. We gave been sitting here for 4 hours so far and have another 3 hours to wait until we can go onshore for 3 hours. I don't understand why we couldn't be dropped off onshore whilst it is being refueled. Beside the [protected]@s risk of refueling occurring below the smoking area of the boat we are stuck, bored stupid whilst this all happens. The most boring trip due to the organization of the itinerary. The staff are not engaging, not interested in making our stay interesting. I would not recommend this to anyone ever. I did a scenic cruise through Europe 2 years ago and they were perfect. Waste of money.

misleading itineraries and bad organization

• Viking River Cruises's response · Jun 05, 2013

Dear Belinda,

We’re sorry to hear that your trip did not meet your expectations and we hope you’ll accept our apologies for the inconveniences you describe—it sounds as though your particular sailing experienced some schedule changes and stops that were out of the ordinary. We would like to speak with you some more about your concerns and feedback and hope that you will contact us directly at [email protected]

Viking Cruises

[Resolved] misleading pricing

1. 2-for-1 Early Booking Discount. The discount that never goes away. It's a marketing gimmick. Don't fall for it.
2. Can't get unsubscribe from their e-mail list. Have tried several times but still get bombarded. Also can't find an e-mail for customer service to send a complaint. Can only find a phone number. I want to send an e-mail to document my complaints.
3. Single "supplement" is double the cost of the per person price for two in a cabin. You have to call to find out what the single supplement is because it's not listed anywhere in their brochures or on their website. Single supplements through other cruise lines or vacations are not double the price.
4. Paid the extra fee for special airline service, but it was useless, and I couldn't get a refund. Specifically asked to be booked on United so I could use miles to upgrade. When I called United, I was informed that the tickets were not upgradeable. Viking should have told me that.
5. Was told over the phone that I could use a voucher from a previous trip for a cruise this year. Confirmation e-mail did not show the voucher being applied. Called for an explanation but agent was on vacation. Backup agent said the voucher couldn't be used for the cruise. I canceled.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Jan 02, 2013

Dear Che5ter8,

We’re sorry to hear of your concerns and, if you’re open to it, we’d like to discuss them with you over the phone. We can certainly help you unsubscribe from our e-mail list, and we hope to clarify any misunderstandings that may have occurred during our previous conversations. Please contact us at [email protected] so we can have a member of our team reach out to you.

• Bo
    bob stevents Jan 05, 2013

viking tends to wound much better than they really are

• Bo
    bob stevents Jan 05, 2013

viking tends to sound much better than they really are. other river cruise lines deliver much better value

[Resolved] wifi

Promised wifi is a bust. Only one device can be used, lockout occurs when shutting down and attempting another device, there is a 1.5 hour wait (their estimate) for resolution, and latency (ping) is poorest signal quality seen in years. Don't believe them when they market wifi aboard their line - it's a no-go.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Nov 19, 2012

Dear fambus2009,

Your feedback, like all guest feedback, is appreciated and we’re sorry to hear that the free Wi-Fi services onboard did not meet your expectations. Please try to understand that Wi-Fi signals can be faint in some areas we cruise through, and if the issues were something that could be fixed on our end, we would of course do so. With that being said, we’ve found that many guests successfully use and enjoy this complimentary service. We’re truly sorry that this was not your experience.

If you have any additional comments or concerns that you’d like to bring to our attention, we’d be very happy to hear from you at [email protected]

• Nj
    N~J~B Jan 18, 2013

We were at the far end of the boat (the entire 3 nights that we were stuck in the Regensburg dock/parking lot) and WiFi NEVER made it as far as our room even sitting still!!

Travel Arrangements

After reading all the complaints listed from passengers on your Air Arrangements Division of Viking I would...

Calgary Airlines

[Resolved] istanbul hotel

This is about the three supplemental days in Istanbul after the Kiev-Odessa Cruise.
The Conrad in Istanbul is a lovely first-class hotel, but it is too far from where we need to go in town, and the eternal traffic jam everywhere makes it doubly bad. The traffic cuts down on tourism time, and the guide spends too much time on unnecessary details, under the circumstance, and the main attraction is hurried. Dancing girls sculpted under the obelisk in the Hippodrome Plaza is pretty interesting, I admit, but not when it hurries our Blue Mosque time. Because of distance and traffic, we 'always' got back to the hotel late from our morning tour and with no time to eat before the afternoon tour began.Dare I mention the the sound system? Not very clear to begin with, but on one morning, it cut off half of what was being said. I didn't want to put this in a public forum.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Jun 26, 2012

Dear Mr. Lathrop,

Welcome back from your cruise. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and are hopeful that your overall trip was enjoyable. Your feedback about our tours and the time dedicated to each activity are greatly appreciated. We will pass this information on to our Customer Relations team and they will contact you regarding your concerns. In the meantime you can also contact us at [email protected]

Thanks again. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Best,

[Resolved] included air travel

I am VERY dissatisfied with the air arrangements that Viking made. I have written to the CEO, but have not had the courtesy of even a phone call.
April 29, 2012

Torstein Hagen
Chief Executive Officer
5700 Canoga Avenue # 200
Woodland Hills, CA91367-6569

SUBJECT: BOOKING NUMBER1285702

Dear Mr. Hagen:

I am writing to seek your assistance regarding the air travel arrangements that were made in conjunction with the subject Booking Number. The travel route to our initial China destination, Shanghai, is from Chicago to San Francisco to Beijing to Shanghai. Total flight hours are nineteen (19) plus a total of more than five (5) hours of layover time in San Francisco and Beijing. Thus, we’ll be traveling more than twenty-four hours before we finally land in Shanghai and then we’ll have still more time before we are bedded down in our Shanghai hotel.

I think this is unconscionable for a company that espouses on the packaging for their Viking Explorer Society, “He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.” I ask, parenthetically, will the routing chosen by Viking change us in the way that you hope? My suspicion is that most of your travelers are not in their thirties and that many/most are near our ages, 74 and 71.

There are alternatives to this routing. For example, United offers both nonstop and one-stop flights. My suspicion is that Viking chose our routing without consideration of its guests and their ages.

I called Viking Thursday, April 26, to see if changes were possible and was told no, UNLESS I was willing to pay $300 per passenger ticket change ($600 total). I felt this was unacceptable and asked to speak to the clerk’s supervisor and was EVENTUALLY routed to the supervisor’s voice mailbox. I left a message, but have not received the requested return call.

Had I known that Viking would route us on such a circuitous path, requiring more than twenty-four hours of travel time, I would have made our reservations independent of Viking, or perhaps might have chosen a different tour company. We have traveled with Viking (Paris to Prague) in 2009 and found it to be a delightful and satisfying trip. However, I made my own air travel arrangements.

In summary, I am asking that you intercede on our behalf. The air travel arrangements made by Viking are hardly acceptable. At this late date we might be stuck with them, but the memory of traveling for more than twenty-four hours will also remain in our minds. Viking could have done it differently. The clerk I talked to could have been more cordial. The supervisor could have returned my call as requested in my voice mail. Please help.

Robert and Dian Hornick
Poplar Grove, IL 61065
Cell: [protected] E-mail: [protected]@AOL.COM

• Viking River Cruises's response · May 06, 2012

Dear Mr. Hornick,

Please accept our apologies for your disappointment and frustration — and for what appears to be a missed connection. We did receive your letter and a Viking representative left a message for you on May 1. We’re concerned that we may not have your most current phone number, as the one in our system is not the one listed here in your message. We will have a representative contact you at this listed number. For future reference, please know that you can also contact us directly at [email protected]

We look forward to having you and your wife join us in China in a few weeks.

[Resolved] insurance rip-off

On September 29, 2011 my husband and I booked a trip with Viking cruise line from Budapest to Nuremberg. We...

[Resolved] poor customer service & undesirable flights

Last weekend, we booked a trip to China through Viking River cruises for June 2012 (Imperial Jewels of China...

[Resolved] some trip dissatisfaction

On July 1st 2011 I took the Grand European River Cruise - Our ships name was the Prestige - On a whole I the cruise - I became dissatisfied towards the end of the trip - The last 3-4 days I felt the service became poor in the dining room - There were a few times when people at my table did not get there food ordered - An example: My friend ordered an omelet for breakfast and never got it - Also, we waited long periods of time before we were asked if we wanted more wine or dessert or to order something off the menue for lunch - The first week maybe week and a half we never had to ask they were always right there to service us - We expected the same service though out the whole trip - The second part of my complaint is about the Prague extension - I enjoyed the city very much - Want I did like was the lack of service we got from the Prestige Representative - On the excursion the representative did not go with us as they did when we went on an excursion off the ship which I found to be very helpful - I was extremely upset with our departure at the airport - I was told the day before we left that a rep would be going with us to the airport - Instead she put me and my friend in a cab and left us on our own to fend for ourselves - She said there would be a rep at the airport to assist us - We got there and no one was around - We did not know where to start, what to do, and where to go - Thank God we found an airport worker who spoke some English - This was very stressful to both of us - They were there for us in Amsterdam when we began our trip they should have been there for us in Prague.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Oct 17, 2011

Dear Carol,

We’re sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. Your concerns are important to us and we’d like to discuss them in further detail. A member of our Customer Relations team will follow-up with a phone call. If ever you would like to contact us directly, please feel free to do so at [email protected]

Kind regards,

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] terrible customer service and product

My mother and I took the Waterways of the Czars cruise with Viking, and were sorely disappointed. The cruise is not worth the money spent and we would not cruise with Viking again. The onboard administrative staff lacked basic customer service skills (they like to lecture you) and we did not feel welcome at all, more liked policed if we did not conform to their strict schedule. The included tours were short (the shortest less than an hour and the longest 3 hours) and we felt that some of their optional excursions (which were very expensive) should have been included. Viking will try to nickel and dime you every step of the way, overcharging you for taxi rides, excursions, and even when you settle your onboard account (ship currency is the euro, but at the end you'll be charged in rubles with an exchange rate plus an extra surcharge). The onboard experience was poor, and the offboard experience was okay.
The food, at best, was edible. The food was not fresh. The pastries were stale, the steak tough, and the salad wilted. My mother, who speaks Tagalog, was able to talk to the Filipino wait staff about what goes behind the scenes in their restaurants. They recycle food (leftover bread served during breakfast is used for sandwiches served at lunch, expired yogurt cups are opened and mixed together in a bowl). If you have traveled on large ocean liners before, you will know that a cruise ship never runs out of food. On this cruise, if you don't come to a meal on time, there is a chance that there won't be enough food for you. On one occasion my mother and I came to lunch 30 minutes after it was served and they had run out of chicken wings. There aren't too many food options, either. Most meals you only have one or two options for appetizers or main course. The wait staff were disorganized and understaffed. It took forever for the next course to be served and many times our ice cream for dessert was served melted. I have some concerns about the welfare of the workers as well. From what my mom gathered during her conversations in Tagalog, the workers are mistreated and underpaid, working 6 months with no days off and earning $30 per day. I also overheard one of wait staff meetings after dinner in one of their restaurants and the restaurant manager was swearing at the staff about how they were driving her crazy.
The stateroom was very small. My mother and I both brought one carry-on and one large suitcase and there wasn't any room to walk. My mom had to put her large bag on top of her bed so we'd have some floor space to get to the door. The "yacht-style" bathroom is also very small. When I first walked in, I wondered where was the shower, but soon realized I was in the shower. Next to the sink is a shower head and a shower curtain you pull to prevent the toilet area from getting all wet. I would recommend bringing flipflops with you to shower/enter the bathroom with. Because the bathroom also doubles as the shower, surfaces will be constantly wet. The air conditioner worked most of the time, but was very loud. It was a very old unit, and the controls didn't match the operation instructions. The housekeepers were stingy about giving amenities, such as shampoo and conditioner. I think they were told only to provide them every three days or something. Because my mother and I are of small stature, we were able to manage, but we can't speak the same for other, larger passengers on the ship. Most staterooms were not equipped with a TV; only the most deluxe suites had one.
There were next to no activities onboard. They had one TV playing BBC news in a small nook with enough seating for about 6 people. There was a movie every night, but most of them were old and/or obscure. The few activities they had practically the whole ship attended, resulting in packed rooms with inadequate seating for everyone. Viking touts cultural lectures that educates passengers about the place they're visiting, but the one I went to was not very good. The presenter sounded unprepared and I could have done a better job putting together the powerpoint presentation. It was really boring and several people left early. There was a vodka tasting event, but of course costed extra. Considering the large proportion of time spent on the ship (~50%), you would think Viking would invest a little more in onboard activities. I spent quite a lot of time to myself in my stateroom. It was a good thing I had brought my laptop, which was stocked with movies, to entertain me. Viking could have organized more activities, easily. They could have done a bingo night, or had karaoke, or Jeopardy, at close to no additional cost to them.
St. Petersburg and Moscow were very nice-- I wish there were more days in those cities. There are tons of things to see. In St. Petersburg, the Hermitage and the Church of the Resurrection are must-sees. Moscow's Red Square has the iconic St. Basil's Cathedral, which is as beautiful inside as it is outside. I'd recommend going to the Moscow by Night tour, when everything is lit up. The stops between the two cities were alright-- some good, some meh. I really liked Kizhi, with it's peaceful, pastoral charm. The local guide we had was really knowledgeable and spoke clear English. Mandrogy, on the other hand, was lame. The fake town looked like it was constructed exclusively for tourists, in which its main attraction is the souvenir shop. We also toured a whole bunch of churches, and they tend to blur after a while. The craftsmanship put into each one is astounding, but after you've seen the fifth or sixth church, they all look the same. Throughout the trip you will be exposed to countless souvenir shopping areas, but don't buy until you're at Uglich. They have the best prices for the same stuff you'll see at every stop. The nesting dolls you'll see there will sell for two to ten times more in Moscow. There were many optional excursions that should have made it into the included tours. Sadly because of the language barrier in Russia, you don't really have a choice of who you're buying tours from, and Viking takes advantage of that, charging 20 euros for a simple shuttle bus to and from the city center, and as much as 70 for a tour of a convent.
This vacation was the most stressful we've ever had. We had booked a pre-extension tour of Helsinki in addition to our cruise. Helsinki was a very nice place, but we could have done the trip on our own at a much cheaper price. Viking only included one walking tour and the rest of the trip was on our own. When it was time to leave Finland for Russia, it was discovered on the train there that we were missing a Russian visa, which we thought our Viking-provided invitation letter was. Throughout our previous travels, we had never visited a country where we needed to apply for a visa beforehand, so we never knew what a visa looked like, and Viking gave us inadequate, vague information on how to obtain one. When giving us the invitation letter, they could have said "this is not a visa" and we would avoided so much trouble. There were so many opportunities to inform us about the visas. Had they checked before we left the country, or even when we arrived in Finland, or even before we got on the train, some of this would have been avoided. We, two small women, were booted off the train with a couple hundred pounds of luggage, and had ten minutes to change platforms and get on the next train going back to Helsinki. We ended up missed the first couple of days of the cruise, and purchasing the visas on such short notice set us back $1200. We pleaded with Viking to help us and Viking refused. We were left on our own, stranded in a foreign country. They refused to help us pay for anything, so we were left paying for the hotel stay and train tickets. They even charged us 40 euros for picking us up at the train station and refused to provide us with the tours we had missed (which we had paid for in the cruise fare) at no additional charge. The tour operators were very rigid and inflexible. They only offered to organize or book things, but always at our cost. This company gave us the impression that they don't care for their customer and think only of profit. This ordeal placed unimaginable amounts of mental and emotional amounts of stress on us and my mother woke up the next day with pain in her left side. We were ready to just give up and go home, but we would lose the money toward the cruise as well as the plane tickets from Moscow, so we were forced to swallow the costs for the visas. We will never forget the way Viking treated us, and that is the main reason we would never sail with them again.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Aug 24, 2011

Dear G Wing,

We’re very sorry to hear of your difficulties and the frustrations you experienced in Russia. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further. You are important to us and we do hope to hear from you. Please contact us directly at [email protected]

Respectfully,

• Gu
    Guy M Wong Oct 28, 2011

I would disagree with the original poster, having just taken the Waterways of the Czars trip on the Viking MS Pakhomov, now known as MS Ingvar, from Sep 29, 2011 to Oct 11, 2011. I thought the over all experience was positive though the trip was not without problems.

The program was good, the staff was knowledgeable and courteous, even the food on board was quite good. My only complaint was the ship management did not bother to sanitize the handrails in the hallways and staircase which may have led to most passengers getting sick, most likely catching it from a passenger who turned out to have bronchitis.

My pictures and my other concerns are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/guywong/collections/72157627697721403/. But at the risk of repeating myself, I believe most passengers on board enjoyed the trip very much.

[Resolved] insurance rip off

On July 2010 us and another couple booked a cruise to China with Viking River Cruises that was fully paid by July 30th, 2010. The trip was scheduled for October 2011. At the time of booking we were told several times that all charges less $100.00 per paseenger were fully refundable as long as the trip was cancelled prior to 121 days before the cruise. Due to the economic conditions of the company I and the the other person work for, our vacations were not approved and on March 1, 2011 we were forced to cancel the trip. We submitted proof that this was beyond our control. Viking has elected to NOT refund us the $1, 198.00 each of us paid for the Trip Mate Insurance. I have, in the notes I took that all the moneys would be refunded, less the $100.00 per person, if cancelled 121 days or more prior to the departure date. I took this at face value.

We cancelled our trip with seven (7) months notice!. It is sad that a company of the caliber and reputation of Viking to impose a penalty of $2, 796.00 {($1, 198 + $200) x 2)}. Had we not taken the insurance, the only costs to us would have been the $100.00 per person since we were well within the 121 day window.

We are extremely disappointed as we believe this is quite unjust and unfair. It absolutely makes no sense to withhold and not refund the insurance money for a trip cancelled so many months prior to the cruise. This is supposed to be trip protection, not trip rip-off.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Aug 09, 2011

Dear JPA1403,

We are very sorry to hear of your cancelation. Your travel agent has contacted us, but we are happy to work with you directly. We will call you shortly.

• Jp
    JPA1403 Sep 08, 2011

To all concerned:
    Since I posted this complaint, personnel from Customner Relations at Viking River Cruises have been in contact with us and we reached an agreement to our complete satisfaction.
    JPA1403

Viking Marine - paid $4000 deposit - still no boat lift after 1 year 2 months

Hi, unfortunately I and others have had a very poor experience with Viking Marine International - www.vikingboatlift.com.

Why am I doing this? To give folks a "heads-up", so that they may make informed decisions.

It has been 1 year, 2 months, and a few days, since Viking Marine received my US$4000 deposit for a boat lift they promised to deliver and install in "4 to 6 weeks".

As of July 12 2011 I still don't have a boat lift...

I have requested my money back, but have not received that either.

See the full story here - http://myvikingboatliftexperience.blogspot.com

Thanks! Keith

• Ke
    keithf Jan 02, 2013

Happy New Year folks!

Just wanted to let you know that the Canadian Government just laid 30 charges against Viking Marine International - full details on my blog at http://myvikingboatliftexperience.blogspot.com

Safe boating all!

• Pd
    PDQ Group Aug 05, 2013

Funny how his link to the govt. doesn't come back with anything related to his supposed story.

• Je
    jeff camp Nov 17, 2014

Viking has had my $8, 000 deposit since 2010. still no lift or refund!

[Resolved] cannot rely upon their representations

When we booked the China’s Cultural Delights tour I was asked about any special diet restrictions or food allergies. I informed the VRC rep that my wife did have some very specific food allergies. The VRC rep indicated that she would note that and ensure that the ship’s chef was made aware of it. I then said to the rep that I intend to call United Airlines to make certain that they could accommodate the meal restrictions for the round trip flight from SFO to China and back. The rep then stated, “That won’t be necessary – let me take care of that for you. I’ll call United and let them know.” I thanked her for that and assumed that the airline would be informed of the food restriction.

When we boarded United Flight 344 on March 14, 2011, we were told that the airline had no knowledge of a special food request. As a result, my wife was unable to eat anything for the duration of the 11 hour flight.

Upon arriving in China, I did not have phone access but I did have limited email access. I emailed VRC, advised them of the VRC miscue and asked that they phone United Air to ensure that they could provide an appropriate meal for my wife on the return trip. Here is VRC's email reply, verbatim:

“Sorry for the inconvenience but unfortunately the meal request is only
available on our ships we cannot accommodate on the air flight as those
are not apart Viking.”

Here is my email response to the VRC rep:

“So why was I told by a Viking rep that Viking would handle that air meal
request? And what is the status of that request on the return flight?
The info in your reply to me is contrary to the representations made to
me by Viking earlier. I await your advice.”

Over the course of several more email exchanges between the VRC reps and myself, that same message was reiterated to me and they continuously refused to call United Airlines to make appropriate food arrangements, despite my being assured by the first rep that VRC did indeed make such calls to airlines. On the return trip, we had to pack a meal for my wife since VRC refused to correct the error and make the simple call to the airline. As noted, I did not have access to a phone and could not make the call myself.

If a VRC rep promises to do something over the phone, get it in writing. And don't expect them to fix their own mistakes. Massively poor customer service.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Apr 13, 2011

Dear end 0)))

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with our customer service team and would greatly appreciate another opportunity to discuss this situation in detail with you. Please contact us directly at [email protected] We look forward to hearing from you.

end 0))) Apr 14, 2011

I just wrote a reply to VRC and will report back here on their response. This should be interesting. The company had little or no concern about my issue in emails rounds 1, 2 and 3. We'll see if this public display drives a different result.

end 0))) Apr 30, 2011

See the above comment by VRC. I rec'd a call from them a few days after this board posting. I advised the female caller that I had sent a letter to the president of VRC. She asked me what could be done to resolve and I said that they should read the letter and reply to me, in writing, with their proposal. I have not heard anything in return. My letter went out on April 10. Let's see how quick they turn this around. Nearly 3 weeks and nothing, in writing, even acknowledging my correspondence. Not surprising.

end 0))) May 03, 2011

Still nothing. The wait continues...

end 0))) May 04, 2011

FINAL - got a call yesterday from VRC, presumably triggered by the above post. Another round of apologies - then I was told that they could not locate the letter I sent to them. I was asked what could be done to make this right. I said "nothing", that I am through being a customer, and if they would re-educate the two knuckleheads who repeatedly failed to assist us, it would be enough. If this saves another passenger from the same grief I experienced, then I am done.

[Resolved] can't unsubscribe from e-mails

Company refuses to unsubscribe us from their annoying e-mails. No one in our family contacted them for information and this is a lousy way to do business. We have added them to our junk mail filter and automatically delete them. If we did take a crusie, it wouldn't be with them.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Dec 27, 2010

Dear Jeff53404 and Dawniette,

It is our hope that you will accept our sincerest apologies for your inconvenience. Please contact us directly at [email protected] so that we may remove you from our e-mail lists.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Jan 29, 2015

Dear TempAnon,

• Viking River Cruises's response · Jan 19, 2016

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Fauser,

Thank you for reaching out.

We have updated our database and all mailings to both addresses should cease in the next six weeks. If this does not happen, please contact us directly at [email protected]

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
    Viking Cruises

• Te
    TempAnon Jan 29, 2015

I've been getting unsolicited emails from them and I have no idea how they even got my address. This is 4 years later and there still isn't an unsubscribe link on their emails. IT'S SPAM.

• Ke
    Kenneth MacLaren Jun 24, 2015

I want you to unsubscribe from your mailing list

[email protected]

• Su
    susieq100 Jan 18, 2016

Please remove our names from your mailing list. We have moved and do not want paper mail at this time. Address: Box 4791 Barrhead, AB. T7N 1A6 Also being sent to: Site 4, Box 15, R R 2. Barrhead, AB. T7N 1N3 Stewart and Ruth Ann Fauser Thanks

[Resolved] terrible service/cheap ship

October 8th my husband and I and old friends boarded a Viking Ship, the Mirabelle, in Lyon France. WE took this ship because 2 of the 4 of us are handicapped and needed an elevator. It didn't work all week and it appeared there was no effort to fix it. The ship was old and at first our bathroom had a bad smell. The hotel manager was a terrible mean man who refused to serve us just a little yogurt and fruit when we returned to the ship 15 minutes late for breakfast after looking for a church on Sunday. The time they told us the service began was wrong so we hurried back for breakfast as there were no restaurants open on Sunday that early and it was raining. He was so cheap and so mean. WE will never go Viking again. Our Vantage trips were very good and we talked to people about Avalon and they said it was great. Viking as well as the other ships did have great tours and guides. The food was cheap food but well done by the chef. Tasteless watery soups though. Not a decent French pastry even though we were in the heart of Provence. Wine came with dinners: same boring wine all 7 dinners. For the money, it was totally awful.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Nov 18, 2010

Dear Toni,

We are very sorry to hear that your expectations of Viking were not met. Your concerns are important to us and we kindly ask that you allow us the opportunity to discuss them with you in greater detail. Please contact us directly at [email protected]

Kindest regards,

anonymouslass May 27, 2011

The hotel manager was a terrible mean man? what are you 5 yrs old?

[Resolved] flight reservations

I scheduled a vacation in February 2010 for a vacation in July 2010. I paid the extra $100 for seat assignments. I explain to the clerks that I needed seats by the window for my wife and myself due to disabilities. No problem, I was told since I paid the money. One month before our trip I was told that my wife was flying out of Chicago to Belgium and that I was flying out of Washington, DC. I explained the reason for paying the $100 dollars and they said they could not guarantee the seating assignment. What was the extra money for if they couldn't guarantee the seating assignments? I did purchase the insurance so I did not loose all my money but they destroyed the vacation.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Oct 14, 2010

Dear Mr. Hendricks,

We sincerely regret that you felt it was necessary to cancel your reservation. Your concerns are important to us and we kindly ask that you allow us the opportunity to discuss them in greater detail. Please contact us directly at [email protected]

did not get what we paid for

We booked a cruise with Viking Cruise Lines on the Danube. The river was in flood stage well before we left for our trip, they were aware of this and by their own admission, "while we did anticipate and plan for minor disruptions, there was no reason to expect anything of the magnitude you experienced. We believe we provided you with the best possible alternative." The magnitude of disruption to our trip was that out of a seven day cruise, we cruised about 28 hours at the tail end of the trip. The rest of the time was spent being bused to the locations we should have gone to by boat. We spent more time on the bus than at the sites we were supposed to visit. The side trip options to various UNESCO sites were cancelled. I would not say that a bus trip was the best possible alternative. We should have been give the option to postpone the trip since the river was flooded well before we left and there was no information when it would crest. We did not experience anything close to what we should have for this vacation. We have contacted Viking and they feel that they fullfilled their obligation just by getting us to the places listed in the itinerary, even though we had minimal time at most places when we should have had a whole day. We have asked for a partial refund and Viking has refused any type of refund. Instead they have offered a time sensitive voucher for $1000 that we can use on most but not all the cruises Viking offers. We could never travel with them again and would advise others planning a trip with them to reconsider. I have heard other Viking horror stories and Viking always uses the same excuse, "we have no control over the river". The attached photos show the condition of the river when we arrived at the boat. Notice the building already had its flood doors installed. My final words are: DO NOT TRAVEL WITH VIKING CRUISE LINES.

Viking Cruise Lines
  • Be
    Becca Hanstein Jul 13, 2010

Interestingly enough, I was in Budapest on the 12th and met a group that was traveling with Viking. In fact the Viking boat was right in front of the hotel we were staying at. I spoke to other people who had the same experience. The reason I wanted to comment was that I had an average time on a cruise with Viking in Russia 6 months ago. The food was mediocre but I really enjoyed the people who were on the trip and prefer being on a smaller boat. The guides and reasonable price of the trip were what I had to applaud. I was wondering what my opinion of my trip would be if we were unable to enjoy cruising on the rivers. It would have been very disappointing but when it is an act of God, what can they do. I, too, got a $1000 credit because the room I had had a sewer smell in it for all 12 days! It was terrible and I'm also in the same boat about having a credit to use when I can't wholeheartedly recommend the cruise line...

• Ni
    Nige - a travel agent Sep 08, 2010

I agree that the Cruise company could not possibly have done much else - it was better that they at least tried to get you to the places you had wanted to visit - if they had cancelled the whole trip, last minute, when the scale of the problem emerged, you'd have been writing on here that they should have still let you go - but by road!
    have a little understanding as it was such unusual circumstances perhaps?

misrepresentation, scam

My wife and I are just completing a Viking River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg with a 3-day Helsinki extension. Throughout he Russian tour there was constant pressure to purchase souvenirs. There was even a scheduled stop in Mondrogy, a fabricated souvinir village specifically designed to bilk tourists. In general throughout the tour the food was great and the guides were very knowledgable and pleasant if you can overlook the constant "shopping" pressure.

Then came the extension to Helsinki which was a total farce, misrepresentation, and waste of $1600. The first day was advertised as a train ride through the Finland countryside but we were told at the last minute that the train trip was cancelled and we were herded trough St. Petersburg airport to Helsinki, arriving at 8PM. Consequently, day #1 was spent waiting for a flight instead of traveling through Finland. The train cancellation was known by Viking months in advance but they chose not to inform us and booked it anyhow. Additionally, Viking knew apriori that a national Holiday in Finland would result in closure of all museums, shops, and many restaurants but again they chose to book the trip extension and not inform us.

Bottom line, Viking has flat out denied any misrepresentation of the trip and refused us any compensation. My advice is beware of their "friendly booking approach" because there may be a scam lurking in the background.

• Ri
    Rivercruiseresource Jun 28, 2010

Dear Mr. Kise,

I am sorry to learn that your cruise is not what you expected it to be. While we do believe that many travelers like to bring back a memento or twso from their trip, Viking prohibits its staff from exerting any kind of pressure to buy. If you are able to share with us an example, we will rectify this situation immediately. Mandrogy is a port most river cruise operators call on. Aside from the shops, there are a large number of historical buildings here that have been brought there from elsewhere in the region.

As soon as Viking learned about the work on the railroad between St. Petersburg and Helsinki and the resulting temporary cancellation of services, we explored alternate options and advised our travelers. We will investigate why you were not notified.

As for the public holiday in Helsinki: Juhannus, or midsummer celebration offers an opportunity to experience something uniquely Finnish. For this particular extension, we have altered the sequence of the sightseeing to assure that you can make the most of your time, while still have an opportunity to shop or visit a museum.

If you feel that we have not addressed all points raised in your complaints sufficiently, feel free to contact us at [email protected]

• He
    Hellotoyou Jul 08, 2014

Be advised if you are taking a Viking river cruise that all may not be what it seems. We were recently on a Viking cruise-the Elegant Elbe. The waters were so low that we only sailed one day of the cruise, and were bussed around parts of the Czhec Republic and Germany. We were docked every day but one, and had to pack up and change ships In the middle of our "cruise." Since the river is apparently fed from snow in the mountains, it is unbelievable that Viking didn't know this ahead of time and contact us so that we could make a decision as whether or not to sail (!) at this time, or offer us another cruise. Our trip was in June, so knowledge of the former winter conditions about the snow would have been known well in advance. The crew kept saying that they thought it would rain, but one or two days of rain wouldn't have been enough to fix this problem. This really is scam-like/ booking under false pretenses. They have now offered us a 20%discount on another cruise- and since this was probably our cruise of a lifetime, it is no compensation at all. Their customer service dept. consists of people who apologize and just simply tell you there is no reimbursement.
    The staff and crew were all professional; however, I feel they are compliant liars. The food and tours were excellent, with the exception of the bus.
    I think part of the reason Viking retains it's good ratings despite some of their underhanded dealings is that many of the people who take the tours are elderly and not sure of how to voice their complaints publicly, although we heard plenty of them on board. They may have the money to simply take another trip and not make waves (no pun intended). Please take this into consideration before you book with Viking, and be sure to check the river conditions yourself.

• Al
    Al_Allen Oct 08, 2018

While sympathetic to what happened on your recent Viking River Cruise, you are missing so many points. I've river cruised with Viking twice on the Grand European Tour in 2015 and the European Sojourn April 2018. Flawless cruises, most enjoyable time.

Posted in European and USA news sites, this year's low river water levels were disastrous to all river cruise and commercial shipping companies. All of them experienced delays lost shipping time, canceled trips.

Weather is always changing; rain can come and go as we have seen in the USA with numerous drought areas. Mississippi River also suffers low water levels, same shipping as Europe experienced.

All river traffic is controlled by Harbor Masters/River Management whose job it is to ensure traffic is stopped in low water areas to avoid a ship becoming stuck, blocking the river to those ships when can still navigate. Conditions can change by the hour. Viking, like all other river users, does as directed in using the river. Not the Captain's call to go or stay.

Congress recently passed the "Consumer Review Fairness Act" which bans companies from contacting people to pull negative reviews, charging them, or threatening to sue, or the use of so-called "Hush Money." Federal Trade Commission is point for this act.

land transport

I have been coldly informed by email that I am not eligible for transport from Munich to the boat in Passau with no explanation. So, after no response to my further enquiries I phoned. I was told that I am only eligible for transport if my plane arrives in Munich on the day of the boat cruise (July 18). The Viking agent did not inform me of this restriction (I found out also that there are time-of-day restrictions) when I made the booking over the phone. When I asked for a refund, they said it is their policy to give only 75% refund. That's not fair. It is not like I changed my mind about the transport. Viking did not inform me of the restrictions when I made the booking. I should get 100% refund. Secondly, I should then also expect Viking to provide me with information on alternate transport and where to find the boat in Passau. Would this be so difficult? Neither did Viking offer, and when I requested it, they did not send it to me. How am I supposed to find the boat? Why is it such a problem for Viking to do these very simple things? I am absolutely astounded at this severely poor level of customer care.

• Ar
    Arizona Road Warrior May 22, 2010

This is the industry standard for river cruises, land tours, etc. in regards to transfers from the airport to the hotel or airport to the portshipetc.

We have taken cruises and tours and we always arrive at least two to five days before the tour starts. First, we like to explore the starting city and do things by ourselves. Also, we stay two to five days after the tour starts. We have never taken advantage of the transfers in our packages. Second and more importantly, if there is a problem with our flight, there is plenty of time to get to the starting point. That is especially important today with reduced airline capacity.

It seems like you book directly with them instead of using a professional brick & mortar travel agent in your community. A professional travel agent would have pointed these items out to you. Also, a professional travel agent would have arranged transportation to the boat in Passau. We have done our own transfers several times.

If you went to their website before you purchase your cruisetour, you can read the T&Cs.

• Ri
    Rivercruiseresource May 24, 2010

Dear PatriciaD, please contact us at [email protected] We will see how we can fix this situation ! Obviously we can do better than what you have experienced thus far, and we're sorry.

Mac in TX Nov 09, 2011

I had the same problem. I purchased transfers with Viking when booking our Dec cruise between Amsterdam and Basel and was not informed of this restriction until it was too late to get a full refund. This is not industry standard for all river cruises, however. My husband and I always arrive a few days ahead of the cruise to avoid travel related problems and usually stay a few days afterward, and we have always purchased transfers between the airport and dock from the cruise line as a matter of convenience to drop off and pick up rental cars. This is our first cruise with Viking and they are the first river cruise line that we have encountered that requires that we actually arrive on an airplane. The fact that the restriction is ridiculous is beside the point. (What difference does it make how you arrive at the airport as long as you are there at the appointed time?) Viking's policy of not informing customers of this restriction up front is deceptive and shows a distinct lack of customer focus.

Mac in TX Nov 09, 2011

As a followup to my previous comment...I emailed Viking directly with my concern and I was promptly contacted by a Viking customer representative who worked with my travel agent to ensure that I received a full refund for the travel option based on the confusion associated with the restrictions. This level of customer service was unexpected but greatly appreciated. It is apparent that Viking does take customer concerns very seriously and they are willing to address issues.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices