Viking River Cruises Logo

Viking River Cruises

Having problems with Viking River Cruises?

5700 Canoga Avenue
Fri4:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Sat5:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sun5:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] can't unsubscribe from e-mails

Company refuses to unsubscribe us from their annoying e-mails. No one in our family contacted them for information and this is a lousy way to do business. We have added them to our junk mail filter and automatically delete them. If we did take a crusie, it wouldn't be with them.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Dec 27, 2010

Dear Jeff53404 and Dawniette,

It is our hope that you will accept our sincerest apologies for your inconvenience. Please contact us directly at Tell[email protected] so that we may remove you from our e-mail lists.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Jan 29, 2015

Dear TempAnon,

Please contact us directly at [email protected] so that we may remove you from our e-mail lists.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Jan 19, 2016

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Fauser,

Thank you for reaching out.

We have updated our database and all mailings to both addresses should cease in the next six weeks. If this does not happen, please contact us directly at [email protected]

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
    Viking Cruises

• Te
    TempAnon Jan 29, 2015

I've been getting unsolicited emails from them and I have no idea how they even got my address. This is 4 years later and there still isn't an unsubscribe link on their emails. IT'S SPAM.

• Ke
    Kenneth MacLaren Jun 24, 2015

I want you to unsubscribe from your mailing list

[email protected]

• Su
    susieq100 Jan 18, 2016

Please remove our names from your mailing list. We have moved and do not want paper mail at this time. Address: Box 4791 Barrhead, AB. T7N 1A6 Also being sent to: Site 4, Box 15, R R 2. Barrhead, AB. T7N 1N3 Stewart and Ruth Ann Fauser Thanks

[Resolved] terrible service/cheap ship

October 8th my husband and I and old friends boarded a Viking Ship, the Mirabelle, in Lyon France. WE took this ship because 2 of the 4 of us are handicapped and needed an elevator. It didn't work all week and it appeared there was no effort to fix it. The ship was old and at first our bathroom had a bad smell. The hotel manager was a terrible mean man who refused to serve us just a little yogurt and fruit when we returned to the ship 15 minutes late for breakfast after looking for a church on Sunday. The time they told us the service began was wrong so we hurried back for breakfast as there were no restaurants open on Sunday that early and it was raining. He was so cheap and so mean. WE will never go Viking again. Our Vantage trips were very good and we talked to people about Avalon and they said it was great. Viking as well as the other ships did have great tours and guides. The food was cheap food but well done by the chef. Tasteless watery soups though. Not a decent French pastry even though we were in the heart of Provence. Wine came with dinners: same boring wine all 7 dinners. For the money, it was totally awful.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Nov 18, 2010

Dear Toni,

We are very sorry to hear that your expectations of Viking were not met. Your concerns are important to us and we kindly ask that you allow us the opportunity to discuss them with you in greater detail. Please contact us directly at [email protected]

Kindest regards,

[Resolved] flight reservations

I scheduled a vacation in February 2010 for a vacation in July 2010. I paid the extra $100 for seat assignments. I explain to the clerks that I needed seats by the window for my wife and myself due to disabilities. No problem, I was told since I paid the money. One month before our trip I was told that my wife was flying out of Chicago to Belgium and that I was flying out of Washington, DC. I explained the reason for paying the $100 dollars and they said they could not guarantee the seating assignment. What was the extra money for if they couldn't guarantee the seating assignments? I did purchase the insurance so I did not loose all my money but they destroyed the vacation.

• Viking River Cruises's response · Oct 14, 2010

Dear Mr. Hendricks,

We sincerely regret that you felt it was necessary to cancel your reservation. Your concerns are important to us and we kindly ask that you allow us the opportunity to discuss them in greater detail. Please contact us directly at [email protected]

did not get what we paid for

We booked a cruise with Viking Cruise Lines on the Danube. The river was in flood stage well before we left for our trip, they were aware of this and by their own admission, "while we did anticipate and plan for minor disruptions, there was no reason to expect anything of the magnitude you experienced. We believe we provided you with the best possible alternative." The magnitude of disruption to our trip was that out of a seven day cruise, we cruised about 28 hours at the tail end of the trip. The rest of the time was spent being bused to the locations we should have gone to by boat. We spent more time on the bus than at the sites we were supposed to visit. The side trip options to various UNESCO sites were cancelled. I would not say that a bus trip was the best possible alternative. We should have been give the option to postpone the trip since the river was flooded well before we left and there was no information when it would crest. We did not experience anything close to what we should have for this vacation. We have contacted Viking and they feel that they fullfilled their obligation just by getting us to the places listed in the itinerary, even though we had minimal time at most places when we should have had a whole day. We have asked for a partial refund and Viking has refused any type of refund. Instead they have offered a time sensitive voucher for $1000 that we can use on most but not all the cruises Viking offers. We could never travel with them again and would advise others planning a trip with them to reconsider. I have heard other Viking horror stories and Viking always uses the same excuse, "we have no control over the river". The attached photos show the condition of the river when we arrived at the boat. Notice the building already had its flood doors installed. My final words are: DO NOT TRAVEL WITH VIKING CRUISE LINES.

• Be
    Becca Hanstein Jul 13, 2010

Interestingly enough, I was in Budapest on the 12th and met a group that was traveling with Viking. In fact the Viking boat was right in front of the hotel we were staying at. I spoke to other people who had the same experience. The reason I wanted to comment was that I had an average time on a cruise with Viking in Russia 6 months ago. The food was mediocre but I really enjoyed the people who were on the trip and prefer being on a smaller boat. The guides and reasonable price of the trip were what I had to applaud. I was wondering what my opinion of my trip would be if we were unable to enjoy cruising on the rivers. It would have been very disappointing but when it is an act of God, what can they do. I, too, got a $1000 credit because the room I had had a sewer smell in it for all 12 days! It was terrible and I'm also in the same boat about having a credit to use when I can't wholeheartedly recommend the cruise line...

• Ni
    Nige - a travel agent Sep 08, 2010

I agree that the Cruise company could not possibly have done much else - it was better that they at least tried to get you to the places you had wanted to visit - if they had cancelled the whole trip, last minute, when the scale of the problem emerged, you'd have been writing on here that they should have still let you go - but by road!
    have a little understanding as it was such unusual circumstances perhaps?

misrepresentation, scam

My wife and I are just completing a Viking River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg with a 3-day Helsinki extension. Throughout he Russian tour there was constant pressure to purchase souvenirs. There was even a scheduled stop in Mondrogy, a fabricated souvinir village specifically designed to bilk tourists. In general throughout the tour the food was great and the guides were very knowledgable and pleasant if you can overlook the constant "shopping" pressure.

Then came the extension to Helsinki which was a total farce, misrepresentation, and waste of $1600. The first day was advertised as a train ride through the Finland countryside but we were told at the last minute that the train trip was cancelled and we were herded trough St. Petersburg airport to Helsinki, arriving at 8PM. Consequently, day #1 was spent waiting for a flight instead of traveling through Finland. The train cancellation was known by Viking months in advance but they chose not to inform us and booked it anyhow. Additionally, Viking knew apriori that a national Holiday in Finland would result in closure of all museums, shops, and many restaurants but again they chose to book the trip extension and not inform us.

Bottom line, Viking has flat out denied any misrepresentation of the trip and refused us any compensation. My advice is beware of their "friendly booking approach" because there may be a scam lurking in the background.

Rivercruiseresource Jun 28, 2010

Dear Mr. Kise,

I am sorry to learn that your cruise is not what you expected it to be. While we do believe that many travelers like to bring back a memento or twso from their trip, Viking prohibits its staff from exerting any kind of pressure to buy. If you are able to share with us an example, we will rectify this situation immediately. Mandrogy is a port most river cruise operators call on. Aside from the shops, there are a large number of historical buildings here that have been brought there from elsewhere in the region.

As soon as Viking learned about the work on the railroad between St. Petersburg and Helsinki and the resulting temporary cancellation of services, we explored alternate options and advised our travelers. We will investigate why you were not notified.

As for the public holiday in Helsinki: Juhannus, or midsummer celebration offers an opportunity to experience something uniquely Finnish. For this particular extension, we have altered the sequence of the sightseeing to assure that you can make the most of your time, while still have an opportunity to shop or visit a museum.

If you feel that we have not addressed all points raised in your complaints sufficiently, feel free to contact us at [email protected]

• He
    Hellotoyou Jul 08, 2014

Be advised if you are taking a Viking river cruise that all may not be what it seems. We were recently on a Viking cruise-the Elegant Elbe. The waters were so low that we only sailed one day of the cruise, and were bussed around parts of the Czhec Republic and Germany. We were docked every day but one, and had to pack up and change ships In the middle of our "cruise." Since the river is apparently fed from snow in the mountains, it is unbelievable that Viking didn't know this ahead of time and contact us so that we could make a decision as whether or not to sail (!) at this time, or offer us another cruise. Our trip was in June, so knowledge of the former winter conditions about the snow would have been known well in advance. The crew kept saying that they thought it would rain, but one or two days of rain wouldn't have been enough to fix this problem. This really is scam-like/ booking under false pretenses. They have now offered us a 20%discount on another cruise- and since this was probably our cruise of a lifetime, it is no compensation at all. Their customer service dept. consists of people who apologize and just simply tell you there is no reimbursement.
    The staff and crew were all professional; however, I feel they are compliant liars. The food and tours were excellent, with the exception of the bus.
    I think part of the reason Viking retains it's good ratings despite some of their underhanded dealings is that many of the people who take the tours are elderly and not sure of how to voice their complaints publicly, although we heard plenty of them on board. They may have the money to simply take another trip and not make waves (no pun intended). Please take this into consideration before you book with Viking, and be sure to check the river conditions yourself.

• Al
    Al_Allen Oct 08, 2018

While sympathetic to what happened on your recent Viking River Cruise, you are missing so many points. I've river cruised with Viking twice on the Grand European Tour in 2015 and the European Sojourn April 2018. Flawless cruises, most enjoyable time.

Posted in European and USA news sites, this year's low river water levels were disastrous to all river cruise and commercial shipping companies. All of them experienced delays lost shipping time, canceled trips.

Weather is always changing; rain can come and go as we have seen in the USA with numerous drought areas. Mississippi River also suffers low water levels, same shipping as Europe experienced.

All river traffic is controlled by Harbor Masters/River Management whose job it is to ensure traffic is stopped in low water areas to avoid a ship becoming stuck, blocking the river to those ships when can still navigate. Conditions can change by the hour. Viking, like all other river users, does as directed in using the river. Not the Captain's call to go or stay.

Congress recently passed the "Consumer Review Fairness Act" which bans companies from contacting people to pull negative reviews, charging them, or threatening to sue, or the use of so-called "Hush Money." Federal Trade Commission is point for this act.

land transport

I have been coldly informed by email that I am not eligible for transport from Munich to the boat in Passau with no explanation. So, after no response to my further enquiries I phoned. I was told that I am only eligible for transport if my plane arrives in Munich on the day of the boat cruise (July 18). The Viking agent did not inform me of this restriction (I found out also that there are time-of-day restrictions) when I made the booking over the phone. When I asked for a refund, they said it is their policy to give only 75% refund. That's not fair. It is not like I changed my mind about the transport. Viking did not inform me of the restrictions when I made the booking. I should get 100% refund. Secondly, I should then also expect Viking to provide me with information on alternate transport and where to find the boat in Passau. Would this be so difficult? Neither did Viking offer, and when I requested it, they did not send it to me. How am I supposed to find the boat? Why is it such a problem for Viking to do these very simple things? I am absolutely astounded at this severely poor level of customer care.

• Ar
    Arizona Road Warrior May 22, 2010

This is the industry standard for river cruises, land tours, etc. in regards to transfers from the airport to the hotel or airport to the portshipetc.

We have taken cruises and tours and we always arrive at least two to five days before the tour starts. First, we like to explore the starting city and do things by ourselves. Also, we stay two to five days after the tour starts. We have never taken advantage of the transfers in our packages. Second and more importantly, if there is a problem with our flight, there is plenty of time to get to the starting point. That is especially important today with reduced airline capacity.

It seems like you book directly with them instead of using a professional brick & mortar travel agent in your community. A professional travel agent would have pointed these items out to you. Also, a professional travel agent would have arranged transportation to the boat in Passau. We have done our own transfers several times.

If you went to their website before you purchase your cruisetour, you can read the T&Cs.

Rivercruiseresource May 24, 2010

Dear PatriciaD, please contact us at [email protected] We will see how we can fix this situation ! Obviously we can do better than what you have experienced thus far, and we're sorry.

Mac in TX Nov 09, 2011

I had the same problem. I purchased transfers with Viking when booking our Dec cruise between Amsterdam and Basel and was not informed of this restriction until it was too late to get a full refund. This is not industry standard for all river cruises, however. My husband and I always arrive a few days ahead of the cruise to avoid travel related problems and usually stay a few days afterward, and we have always purchased transfers between the airport and dock from the cruise line as a matter of convenience to drop off and pick up rental cars. This is our first cruise with Viking and they are the first river cruise line that we have encountered that requires that we actually arrive on an airplane. The fact that the restriction is ridiculous is beside the point. (What difference does it make how you arrive at the airport as long as you are there at the appointed time?) Viking's policy of not informing customers of this restriction up front is deceptive and shows a distinct lack of customer focus.

Mac in TX Nov 09, 2011

As a followup to my previous comment...I emailed Viking directly with my concern and I was promptly contacted by a Viking customer representative who worked with my travel agent to ensure that I received a full refund for the travel option based on the confusion associated with the restrictions. This level of customer service was unexpected but greatly appreciated. It is apparent that Viking does take customer concerns very seriously and they are willing to address issues.

customer satisfaction

In 4/2010, we took our 1st European river cruise aboard the Viking Spirit, which comes out of Paris, France. We were aboard when the Iceland volcano went off, grounding planes throughout Europe. At the end of the cruise, we were stuck, without airplanes, hotel room availability in Paris, and a rail strike.

All Viking had to do was leave us at the airport terminal, and drive away. However, what they did do was this: were were allowed to stay aboard, have a room, have meals, and cruise with them on the Seine river. They didn't charge us for anything except bar bills. Viking River Cruises took the high road. We are now patrons for life. This is how all companies should operate!
Keith B.

• Jj
    jjmnr5 Jun 02, 2010

So glad that you had a favorable experience during the volcano eruption shut down of airlines, etc. We, on the other hand, did not get to Berlin due to the flight situation. The airline refunded our fare in full; Viking issued us vouchers for less than half of the fare we paid to them and the vouchers must be used by year's end. How many people can afford to lose thousands of dollars to Viking Cruise lines and THEN spend thousands more to recoup the thousands lost??!!! Letters written requesting a replacement cruise, no more, no less, are answered by Viking saying too bad, so sad - you don't get anything more from us.

Guess they didn't really lose - you spent more money on the bar tab and the rooms were paid for by people who couldn't possibly fly in order to reach the embarkment location thus were empty enabling your favorable experience.

I really mean what I said - I'm glad you had a favorable result and am glad someone was able to get some enjoyment on a cruise that week. While you are customers for life, I get a headache just hearing the name of the company and will tell everyone I know just how awful their customer relations have been.

Rivercruiseresource Aug 07, 2010

Dear jjmnr5, please contact us at [email protected] We have been able to assist over 70% of our passengers filing claims with their travel insurance, and it appears that for whatever reason, we have not been able to do the same thing for you. We are happy to let you know that the insurance carriers we work with were able to refund all insured passengers and we were pleased to be able to expedite most of these claims by preparing the paperwork in advance.

• Co
    CONSIDERED A TRIP Sep 01, 2011

WOW, I WAS CONSIDERING ONE OF THESE CRUISES BUT AFTER READING ALL OF THESE COMPLAINTS AND HOW THE COMPANY HANDLED THEM, I WILL DEFINITELY PASS!!! I HONESTLY AM IN AWE THAT A COMPANY WITH SOOOO MANY COMPLAINTS IS IN BUSINESS. THE POSTS ON THESE THAT SAY PLEASE CONTACT BLAH BLAH BLAH...WOULD NOT EVEN BE NECESSARY IF IT WERE A GOOD COMPANY...THANK GOODNESS FOR THE INTERNET!!!

inpossible to file a complaint with them!

When I tried to change a final night's hotel date by one additional night on our Nile cruise, I was told...

agent

The Viking River Cruises agent "helping" us book our vacation for June 2010 makes repetitive mistakes. She does not listen to messages I leave her on her voice mailbox. She is usually late responding to e-mails. I ask her to do one thing and she ends up doing something completely different ... then I have to either e-mail her or call her to correct the mistake.
Reading others' complaints scare me to go on this cruise!!! I wonder how Viking was chosen as the best cruiseline 2 years ago!!!

incessant emails

On average I receive emails from Viking Cruises 3 times weekly and in spte of having "unsubscribed" every single time and written to them directly requesting and now demanding to be removed from their email list, I continue to receive emails. This feels like a form of harassment.

Rivercruiseresource Feb 11, 2010

Dear Marin Alsop, I am sorry. We're not trying to be in the business of harassing. This is not a trick and I will personally guarantee that we will remove you from our mailing list. Please confirm your name with me at [email protected] Yes, I do work for Viking River Cruises and we do take every complaint seriously...

• Gr
    Greg123456789fghh0 Dec 02, 2013

These spammers keep spamming me, despite unsubscribing multiple times.
    Even their contact form on their website has a box requesting special offers that cannot be unchecked.

scam

My wife and I, for our Honeymoon, booked an 8 day river cruise with Viking Criuse Lines beginning in...

the cruise that never was

My wife and I booked a 9 day Rhine River cruise on Viking this past October, it was our Honeymoon. The boat...

additional cost to correct their travel arrangement mess

Booked cruise on the Danube in January - specifying two couples traveling together. Booking receipt notes we...

breach of contract

We cruised the Danube with Viking River Cruises in May, 2009. The trip included only a night and a day in...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices