Menu

reviews & complaints

Holland America Line Complaints Summary

4 Resolved
92 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from Holland America Line with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Holland America Line has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Holland America Line. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Holland America Line complaints 96

Sort by:

Newest Holland America Line reviews & complaints

5:57 pm EST

Holland America Line Breast cancer

My travel agent was not forthright about return flight. I am a breast cancer patient and we have to travel to Miami then wait 9 hours to fly home. She told us that Holland America did this, but Holland said travel agent did this. Penalties alone $1200, can’t afford that. This whole trip was a last cruise from my daughter. It will not be relaxing knowing how the travel home will be. Confirmation number XHWQ4T. God bless. Janice Anderson

Desired outcome: Faster easier flight home. This just isn’t the vacation I had hoped for. I am a burden to my daughter and this was to luxury cruise.

Confidential Information Hidden: This section contains confidential information visible to verified Holland America Line representatives only. If you are affiliated with Holland America Line, please claim your business to access these details.

5:46 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Date of missing luggage: 10 December 2023. Our two suitcases and two carry on luggage put into undercarriage of bus that HAL contracted to transport passengers and luggage from White Bay Cruise terminal to International Departure Terminal at Sydney Airport on 10 Dec 2023. Departed White Bay Cruise Terminal at 9.45am. Driver was about 45 - 55 years with...

F
8:32 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Holland America Line Getting cancelled after paying our total fee stated we owed.

We booked our upcoming cruise on our last cruise. We also reserved the room we wanted a year in advance.

We had our paperwork and paid the amount owed from our original paperwork. Come November we got a cancellation of our cruise. They stated we owed $610.00. We called in and talked with 3-4 different agents and after hours on the phone Holland America decided that we had paid the correct price and reinstated our cruise only to give us another room that is not even close to where we wanted to be originally.

We cruise every year between Christmas and New Years. I guarantee WE WILL NOT BE booking another cruise with Holland America. The customer service is TERRIBLE.

This is the second complaint on the same complaint without hearing anything from Holland America!

Be careful where you spend your money!

Claimed loss: Time, Character, and trust.

Desired outcome: I feel we should get our room that we booked a year in advance or a room better. We should also be compensated for our time and frustration that we spent on re-instating our cruise.

Hide full review

Is Holland America Line legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Holland America Line as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 4% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Holland America Line stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Holland America Line should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Holland America Line earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Holland America Line achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for Holland America Line. The company provides a physical address, 4 phone numbers, and 2 emails, as well as 5 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

Hollandamerica.com has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows Holland America Line website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Hollandamerica.com has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Hollandamerica.com you are considering visiting, which is associated with Holland America Line, is very old. Longevity often suggests that a website has consistently provided valuable content, products, or services over the years and has maintained a stable user base and a sustained online presence. This could be an indication of a very positive reputation.

Holland America Line as a website that uses an external review system. While this can provide valuable feedback and insights, it's important to carefully evaluate the source of the reviews and take them with a grain of salt.

According to our analysis, Holland America Line appears to be offering travel services on their website. While many travel companies are legitimate, it's important to be cautious and do your research before booking a trip to ensure that you are getting a good deal and not falling victim to a scam.

Holland America Line website is deemed to be popular and indicating that it receives a high volume of traffic. It is important to be cautious when using a highly trafficked website, as it may be a target for cybercriminals looking to exploit vulnerabilities or steal personal information.

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Holland America Line has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 4% of 96 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • While Holland America Line offers various gambling services, it's important to be aware of the potential risks and consequences of excessive gambling. If you feel that you may have a gambling problem, seek professional help immediately.
  • We conducted a search on social media and found several negative reviews related to Holland America Line. These reviews may indicate issues with the company's products, services, or customer support. It is important to thoroughly research the company and its offerings before making any purchases to avoid any potential risks.
R
3:46 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Rahna pourghassemi and David bruce adair 216-261 east 3rd street North Vancouver, BC V7L 1E8 Holland America Line Oct 7th - October 24 cruise Vancouver - Hawaii Round trip 17 days Room # 7054 To whom this should concern I am writing to express my disappointment with the service I received on my recent Holland America cruise. My fiance and I were...

11:30 pm EST

Holland America Line Refund of cruise deposits

between 2014 and 2021 I booked 14 cruises and embarked on 3. Deposits lodged with HAL totalled A$18,987 and used on embarkation totalled approx A$8,000 leaving a balance of approx $10,000 to be refunded or used for FCC. In Jan 2023, HAL Sydney Australia reversed a credit card payment of some A$1900 but the credit card had been cancelled in Jan 2021. The credit card company ,VirginMoney HF, admit receiving A4946 in January 2023 (but it should have been returned as the credit card was closed) and sent a cheque to my former address in Melbourne Vic AUSTRALIA in January/February 2022 but I moved from there in September 2021. I have received no refund but have been on the same mobile/cell number and email over the entire period.

Please refund me the approx A$10k I am entitled to.

Claimed loss: A$10,000

Desired outcome: Refund in cash to my account or add to Future Cruise Credit for booking 2W9J7C.

V
7:50 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am 81 yrs old and my wife is 78 yrs old. We are retired and saved up for the Alaskan cruse and planned it for entire year at a cost of $4432, Aug 13th 2023, air fair $619, hotel 2 nights $532, plus Seattle express $ 90, total $5673. All booked thru Holland American agents. We where denied boarding at the gate due to no Pass Port, Birth certificate, or...

11:39 am EST

Holland America Line had to cancel cruise due to illness

we had platinum insurance coverage for our cruise which is scheduled to leave November 18, 2023. John fell ill and was in hospital.

We don't understand why we lost over $1000 even with the insurance we paid for.

We would like someone to look into this.

our booking number was 2RMM2D.

Our cruise consulate was helpful planning our past 3 cruises. This was the 1st one we had to cancel.

Please respond to John at [protected]@hotmail.com

Desired outcome: We would like to understand why we lost this money.Is it possible to have this money credited toward a future cruise.

B
6:43 pm EST

Holland America Line A damaged suitcase

Suitcases cracked on arrival to my cabin. This was reported and a report made. In order to disembark the ship we had to have same taped so suitcase would not fall apart barbara gumpper 203 ne forrest crt jensen beach fl [protected] a report was written by a member of the ship, we have not had any response. The cost of suitcase was $99.00, when purchased 9 months ago

Claimed loss: the price of the suitcase was 9 months old and used 2 times. The price of same was $99/00

Desired outcome: Would like compensation for this damaged suitcase. this was damaged during embarkation.

1:15 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On 9/10/2023 my husband, James B. Davis, III, and Janis C. Pritchett were booked and paid for an Alaskan cruise that was set to sail from Anchorage, Alaska. Due to delayed flights for over 90 minutes, we could not get to Alaska in time to board this cruise. I filed claims with Delta Airlines. They sent the claim amount for the airline tickets to Holland...

F
3:39 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We booked a cruise on our New Years Eve Cruise we took in [protected]. We paid our down payment. We also had a letter from Cory Thomas-Special Advisor offering a credit due to a cruise we were on with a group and most of the group got sent home due to COVID. When we left the ship we knew we owed $2,533.00. This had to be paid by September 30, 2023. We paid...

8:58 am EDT

Holland America Line Overcharge of gratuities

We booked a cruise with the Westerdam starting Oct 1st to Oct 28 beginning in Seattle and ending in Yokohama. We signed a paper at guest services stating that we wanted the gratuities removed and that we will take care of these ourselves. We were surprised to see a $1227.99 charge on our credit card ending in 3387. Our mariner number was [protected] we stayed in cabin 5072.We did book a few things but the gratuity charge should not have appeared on our credit card.

Sincerely

Lucy and David Del Gobbo

R
8:11 am EDT

Holland America Line deduction of auto gratuity tip by health club on Volendam on 25/09/23

A tip of $56.78 was added to my health club bill of $315.40 without my knowledge.The acupuncture therapist who was Japanese and spoke almost no English did not point this out to me at the time or I would have objected at the time that this was excessive.

I subsequently paid a total of $372.18 for this before I LEFT THE SHIP ON 27/0

25/9/23

I HAVE THE RECEIPTS SHOULD YOU REQUIRE THEM.

Desired outcome: A full refund of $56.78 please.

B
3:04 pm EDT

Holland America Line Reservations

On Booking XD8MWC Bruce A; Pitkin [protected]) Today I was online @ your number [protected] for over 30 minutes trying to get a cost Breakdown on our cruise, supposedly with final payment due by October 15th. I HAVE RECEIVED NO COMMUNICATIONS FROM HOLLAND AMERICAN WHATSOEVER REGARDING OUR CRUISE.

They then refer me to your tel# [protected] which I was on over 35 minutes simply trying to get the breakdown of costs and a total payment due...again due by this friday. No one can give me any information about a cruise I booked on your ship on our last cruise. Are you kidding me...I am your client. ([protected]@aol.com) or [protected]. They tell me I have to get with the Travel agent I used before, who I have not been able to reach. Why should I have to.

Desired outcome: I just want answers

1 comment
Lagoon
SECHELT, CA
Oct 13, 2023 3:52 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Yes, I have experienced the same dilemma with air costs initially quoted at $3720 and then sneakily put into the final payment and increased to $4840. There is no breakdown on my account only a total which is unacceptable and not understandable. I don't expect a resolution but I will complain anyway.

A
10:35 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My husband and I are booked on the Noordam 10/1/2023 – 10/8/2023 on what is marketed at a 7-day Wine Country & Pacific Northwest cruise. Even today, this cruise is listed on your website as a ‘Wine Country’ cruise (see screen shot below). The advertised Santa Barbara and Monterey stops (clearly wine country) have been removed and replaced with LA and Avalon...

2:27 pm EDT

Holland America Line Casino money that I won

I cruised with you in Dec 5,2021. A refund check was sent to me in January,2023. I deposited the check in my bank and they never gave me credit for the check, When I called my bank that asked me to contact you to reissue the check $432.80 since it was never cashed. I have been inquiring since April for you to send me another check. My booking# XWXG4H,my ticket# 411775.Please call me at [protected] and leave me a message since I receive so many scams that I may not answer. I have been waiting too long for someone to resolve my issue, since April,2023. Thank you.

Desired outcome: $432.80

G
12:41 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I booked my family vacation to Alaska on the Eurodam 06-17-2023. Traveled 384 miles to Reno Nevada to get on a plane to Settle Washington. Checked bags into Alaska Air and was given boarding passes. In line to board the plane when TSA tells me it's the wrong birthdate. We head back to Alaska Air and they tell me it's fixed. Back in line got to TSA and wa...

11:41 am EDT

Holland America Line Cabin pricing

I do like to cruise but Holland makes it almost impossible for me to do it. I am a widower & can not find anyone to go along with me to to make the trip affordable for me I don't want to pay double for the cabin. I know some ships have studio cabins, but not all do . All I want is an inside cabin & not pay double for it.

It must be known by about a month in advance of sailing if the ship will be full. I would guess the not every ship sails full with the size of them today. I would do a drop & go about a month out so I have time to get things together for the trip . Nothing fancy just an inside cabin. Is something like this possible ?

East coast out of Florida if enough time parts of Europe or Med or trans Atlantic or repositioning .

I don't drink all that much so a drink package or dinning or internet offer is not a whole lot of interest to me ,& forget offers of 2nd guest or kids .I am a widower & can't find someone to go with me.

John ONeil Mariner ID number [protected] [protected]

Desired outcome: An answer to my question about getting a cabin as a single price not paying double by doing a drop & go type of deal with a months or so's notice

1:24 pm EDT

Holland America Line Medical emergency request

On July 2nd, 2023, my daughter and I embarked on a 7 day Alaskan cruise from Seattle. On July 3rd, I began experiencing excruciating tooth pain which got worst overnight, spreading to my brain and radiating to my neck and shoulders. The ship has no dentist. I requested to disembark in Juneau but Arlene of Guest Service refused to let me off without paying $941 in penalty. I requested to talk to the captain but was denied. Plus, she said, I had to see a doctor on board which I did. Since she's not a dentist she couldn't help but gave me oxycodone and amoxicillin (which I had already been taking anyway to no avail) and of course, a fat bill for $254.00. I refused to pay the $941 and asked to meet the custom authorities to clear me to leave the ship. Upon meeting the custom officer, she said " you are an American Citizen in Alaska being prevented to leave, why"? Of course, I explained and so she wished me good luck on getting home quickly to get the help I needed. I arrived at JFK at 7.52am on the 5th and had emergency surgery at 10am.

I need to hear from the relevant authorities immediately on this matter.

Desired outcome: Arrived in NYC and had emergency surgery

P
9:54 am EDT

Holland America Line 12 weeks and still not received a refund that I was promised

I received an email on the 27th March saying that I would be refunded 50 dollars due to not being able to take cigarettes that I bought on the Westerdam ship in February into Singapore. I still have never received this refund and have sent numerous emails to the guest relations plus rang and spoke 3 times to different people who have assured me their supervisor would call me back and haven't.

Feel really let down by this customer service and makes me not want to book or recommend Holland and Amercia even though we enjoyed the cruise.

my husband and my email address's as follows:-

[protected]@icloud.com

[protected]@gmail.com

This is the email I received :-

March 27,2023

Dear Mr. &Mrs. Eastwood:

RE Case: 1-[protected]

Booking: XCDMMN

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line. We are grateful that you have given us this opportunity to review your concerns. We do sincerely apologize for the delay in response and resolution.

We would like to extend a refund to you in the total amount of $50. This refund will be posted to the card used on board ending in 2003. Please be advised that your request has been forwarded to the appropriate department and can take a minimum of eight to twelve weeks to process.

We look forward to welcoming you on-board again very soon. Until then, we wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

Alexandra Gail

Guest Relations

Holland America Line

Desired outcome: The refund of 50 dollars paid into my account as promised on the 27th March my husband and I email address's as follows:- [protected]@icloud.com [protected]@gmail.com

S
9:24 am EDT

Holland America Line Destroyed suitcase

I purchased a brand new American Tourister suitcase for our trip to Alaska with Holland America. It was a cruise/land/rail experience. On the last day after we said goodbye to our tour director, we received our luggage to our room while we were gone to dinner. We arrived back at hotel late to find our luggage & my new suitcase cracked around one of the wheels & it was recessed down inside. We had to get up very early the next morning so was unable to contact anyone at that time. We left again almost as soon as we arrived home in our motor home (no luggage needed). During that trip I received a survey from Holland & on it I reported the suitcase problem. I waited a few days thinking I might hear something but no word. So now I'm filing a complaint. Our booking number was XNDL8N and our trip was from 5-27-23 to 6-8-23. I have photos available to damage I can provide, but I don't know how to get them added to this complaint. I am in my 70's & not current on how to do all of this. However, I am glad to provide via another means.

Desired outcome: Replace Suitcase

1 comment
Diane Coan
, US
Sep 10, 2023 6:05 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Same exact thing happened to us. Our Alaska trip was 8/6-8/19/23. I had to fill out a claim form when we were still on the trip. On the claim form there is a phone number so you can try to call it. [protected] extension 22089. Have your cruise booking number ready when you call them. Their hours are 8 to 5 Pacific time Monday through Friday. Good luck, I just got a quote, saying the suitcase cannot be repaired from a luggage company that I need to accompany my form and I’m going to call tomorrow because the website they provided is not working.

Best of luck, but it was an incredible vacation.

Diane

View 0 more photos
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Holland America Line contacts