Verizon Wirelesstermination policy

We have been customers of Verizon for over tens years. Two months ago, we purchased an iPhone for our youngest daughter and upgraded the service on one the line to include data. About a month ago, our oldest daughter was killed in an auto accident. After taking care of the personal details, we contacted Verizon to request that her $10/month line be removed from our family plan. Verizon's response was to threaten us with a termination fee if we removed the line. Quite apart from the inhumanity of this, the response strikes me as the dumbest business decision I have ever encountered. Essentially, they are telling us that to cancel a $10/month service, we will have to cancel our entire $200+/month family plan. I am interested in hearing the defenders of Verizon comment on this.

• Lu
    lucymaepossum Dec 30, 2011

You should put a complaint into the Better Business Bureau. They want to resolve those ASAP. I was tired of getting the run around so I did that and someone from corporate called me right away and did what they said they couldn't do. I'd never used it before but it got my issue resolved in 2 days.

• Lu
    luisiscool Dec 24, 2011

I'm so sorry for what you and your family is going through verizon wirless sucks thats all I can say just switch to another company.

• Vz
    VZW_CS Dec 13, 2011

Paul321,

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are coping during this most difficult of times.

Verizon Wireless never wants to lose touch with, or alienate, our customers. I would like the opportunity to review your account with you. If you are a member of Twitter, please reach out to us @VZWSupport and reference the link to this page. I look forward to speaking with you.

Thank you!

^AE
    VZW_CS
    Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

• Pa
    paul321 Dec 08, 2011

Thanks Ellen. I did ask to speak with a superior, but my request was refused. After being accused of fabrication, I offered to fax them a copy of her death certificate. That was dismissed on the grounds that "they can be forged." As no one could seriously believe that someone would take the time to forge a death certificate for $10/month, we concluded that we would have to go to war with Verizon and decided "the juice was not worth the squeeze." Incidentally, I did review our contract and, while it is not fully explicit as to what a "service line" is, it clearly does not say anywhere that the dropping of one line from a Family Plan counts as a cancellation of the Plan. As the contract is what is known as a "contract of adhesion" because we had no real opportunity to negotiate its terms, their failure to be fully explicit about that would count in our favor legally. So, I suppose I could take them to court, but again why would we want to continue a relationship with a company which employs such people.

• Ha
    hazeldunkel Dec 08, 2011

That's horrible, I'm so sorry this happened, it's a shame they have no sympathy I don't like them very much either they did the same thing when my sister passed away.

• Pa
    paul321 Dec 08, 2011

We did. They simply claimed that the contract required that we pay the fee. We are well enough off to pay the fee, but I cannot help but believe that its large market share has wholly distorted their perspective. In any case, we are done dealing with Verizon

• Oh
    OhWowReally Dec 08, 2011

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I would contact their Corporate Customer Service line, ask to speak to a manager, and they should be able to take care of things.