Having problems with USAA?

USAA reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 17, 2007. The latest review NSF fees was posted on Oct 19, 2021. The latest complaint dropped policy was resolved on Dec 06, 2014. USAA has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 290 reviews. USAA has resolved 88 complaints.

USAA Customer Service Contacts

1800 531 8722 (Customer Service)
+1 210 531 8722 (Customer Service)
+1 800 472 8722 (Individual Retirement Accounts)
+1 877 899 6325 (Trust Services)
+1 800 258 4060 (Real Estate Rewards Network Assistance)
+1 800 531 8555 (Roadside Assistance)
+1 888 452 7754 (Auto Glass Repair & Replacement)
+1 877 314 2255 (Financial Planning)
+1 800 292 8294 (Survivor Relations Team)
+1 210 456 6310 (Accessibility)
9800 Fredericksburg Road
San Antonio, Texas
USAA Federal Savings Bank
10750 McDermott Freeway, San Antonio, TX 78288-9876

USAA Investment Management Company
P.O. Box 659453, San Antonio, TX 78265-9825

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with USAA Customer Service. Initial USAA complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for USAA above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about USAA. Discuss the issues you have had with USAA and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

USAA Complaints & Reviews, Page 9

USAAmissing part in vehicle after repair

I have escalated my claim to the manager and have not heard any updates. To think that a collision repair claims to inspect the vehicle and test it and so many parts are missing and so many errors done. I'm not sure if my life is not at stake on the road, the car already headed with smoke after the repair, God knows what is next. Usaa insurance is just standing by letting the repair shop do as it pleases. How can you stand behind a repair and call it safe. This gasket that is missing, was in the vehicle prior to the accident and it just vanished causing water to leak into my spark plugs. The repair shop simply says it wasn't me and the insurance company just go with it. Its called CYA, and the vehicle owner is the looser. They probably threw it away like they threw away my keys. But who cares it's their word against mine and they are the professionals. Shame, shame, shame
I am not ale to load pictures because they are too big but would like to send them any other way. Please help me make this right!!!

missing part in vehicle after repair

USAA — eligibility

I just got off the phone with USAA after being transferred all over the place trying to see in my mother wa...

USAA Federal Savings Bank — refusing to transfer inherited funds

My mother passed away in November of 2013 and had named me as the sole beneficiary to her two IRAs held at...

USAA / Auto Insurance — auto cancellation error

USAA my insurance company for my vehicle canceled my policy two months ago by accident and as a result I...

USAA — racism

This company cancelled my insurance with no notice. They canceled my home owners insurance. They made racist...

USAAnon payment of medical bills

We have been loyal USAA customers for 25 years. Last October my 17 year old driver was hit by another driver and sustained neck/back injuries. Although the other driver was cited for the accident, USAA is the company that has to pay for my daughter's medical bills. Eventually after she stops treatment, the other driver's insurance will be responsible for my daughter's medical bills. I began having problems with getting the medical bills from the day of the accident. Long story short, USAA has denied nearly all the medical bills we have accrued due to the accident. That state that a "soft tissue injury" can heal itself. They hire doctors that review the bills and decide that treatment is "medically unnecessary". Certainly is funny these so called doctors have never examined my daughter or spoken with her physicians. I wished they lived with her through this injury, weekly crying from pain. Depression, weight gain, unable to exercise or participate in normal teenage activities due to the neck injury. Although an orthopaedic surgeon has examined her and recommended a treatment protocol of over 8 months of physical therapy, USAA has refused to pay the bills. This has lead us to over 5 unpaid debts on our credit report, a law suit from one of the medical providers (sueing to collect for payment of the services he provided), and a possible job loss. My husband holds a secret security clearance for his job, this requires no negative debts on your credit report. He has been warned if the matter isn't resolved, he will be released from his job because he will loose his clearance. I have done everything known to man, even requested USAA have a regional manager of claims contact us regarding this matter. I have faithfully paid premiums to this company for 25 years. This company was created to serve active duty and retired service members. My husband served this country for 11 years. This company is a fraud! Do not waste your money on coverage...this is insulting to say they are serving the insurance needs of the military! What an insult...

USAA — claims

I"m the General Manager onsite at Briar House Condominium Association located in Elkins Park, PA 19027 A...

Elkins Park

USAAbanking

They had a security breach in June, but when someone used a "copied " ATM card, it suddenly is my fault. I have no idea how someone 3000 miles away swiped a card that was read as mine, but you have the nerve to blame me? How about taking responsibly for yourself. I was apalled by the way myself and this situation has been treated. Do they treat everyone this way? I can't believe that they are supposed to be a bank for soldiers, but do not uphold any values of a soldier. I know that I loved USAA but it seems when you have a problem, no one can help. The call reps are not well trained, the Executive Resolution Center Reps are rude. And if I have one more say something so asinine to me, I WILL be that ### who has something to say back. I am already upset, do not pass judgement on something I did not do, your job is to answer the phone and questions. I can not believe that a company was built with such horrible ethics and business practices, and the fact that us, the customers, are the reason you have business, maybe you should try to give a little better customer service. I also know that I will not trust USAA with a candy wrapper ever again.

USAAbad customer service

I have had banking and checking accounts with USAA for a year, from what I've seen they are the worst!!! Do NOT open an account with, open with the Nsvy Federal Credit Union instead!!! I've had so many problems with this bank. from the auto insurance, which I had been paying monthly and suddenly they tried to deduct the full six months amount instead, resulting in NSF fees, and when I tried to call to talk to they about it, they gave me some stupid reason that they cannot talk to me because my husbands information has not been verified with, he's had an account with them for 4 years and now you come up with this? Are you kidding me? Then I deposited money orders (since we all know you can only deposit that way since they do not have any banks anywhere) and they placed a hold on part of the money deposited...why, you ask, because they need to comfirm the money orders. what I've had an account for a year and suddenly today I'm a suspect? And Customer service when I called asked me if I had tried my credit cards or to borrow money from family or friends!!!????? I had the cash, that's what I bought the money orders with, why would I borrow for what I had? But if it was deemed an emergency then they could take the hold off, so if you dertermine the need you can control it? They had the ability to release it but they have the right to choose what's important and what isn't? Oh no, EVERYONE SHOULD AVOID THIS BANK AT ALL COSTS!!!

USAAsecurity

Besides all the complaints I see about USAA mortage, insurance, and credit cards, the most dangerous thing about USAA I find, and the reason I withdrew my application for a VFW-branded credit card is that USAA has no comprehension of Internet security. They wanted me to send a copy of my Social Security card, Driver's License, and military documentation over unencrypted email.
          Several representatives swore to me that the "special" email address was a "direct" line. They just did not understand that when you send an email from your PC, unless it is encrypted with something like PGP, which requires the receiver to have a public key, then the email goes over open internet first to your own email server, then is forwarded through one or many additional servers before reaching USAA. At any of those points, the email can be hacked because a copy may reside there for an indeterminate period of time. You can check this yourself by searching for old emails to anyone--and you will be surprise what exists practically forever on the web. A well-known rule of email is never send anything that you would not want an unknown person to read.
          An alternative offered was to upload it via the https USAA site, except that you cannot login in to that site until you supply the documentation! A perfect Catch-22 situation--of course the young customer service representatives had no idea what Catch-22 was.
          I can't imagine anyone dumb enough to send this perfect collection of id theft material over unencryped email communications.

USAAauto premium

I was quoted a price to add my son & his car to out policy and when the payment was deducted it was double the amount quoted. After calling them I was told if I had waited 2 days to add new vehicle then I would not have been charged double for the monthly premium. The bottom line is that the rep should have told me the CORRECT amount that would be due on our next payment but instead he told me the INCORRECT AMOUNT THAT WOULD BE DEDUCTED. After spending 52 minutes on the phone with the rep & supervisor nothing was accomplished. I am totally disappointed and am considered closing my checking, savings & credit card accounts along with removing all 3 vehicles from the auto insurance policy. I even had my daughter & son-in-law switch to USAA for auto & renters insurance. I'M TOTALLY PISSED AND WISH I WOULD HAVE NEVER CHANGED TO USAA IN THE 1ST PLACE.

2 Responses
                chitK Sep 11, 2013

YOU R RIGHT!... USAA is not the same company we signed up with in 1982. Today I was treated with apathy and I could tell the
                " specialist" that helped me, was in some cubicle, in lands unknown. She did not know how to say."Ensign" After hitting a deer, I took my car to a autobody shop. I picked up my rental car, as I was told by the "claims specialist 3wks ago", I would have rental car coverage for up to 30 day if needed. Today, I found that USAA only cover 7 days of the rental. When I called to discuss this, the uncaring, rep. said, The shoppe, only worked on the car for 7 "actual" days. I asked, how was I to know, when they worked on my car?, she didnt know, and said that is what the shop filled for work needed. So the 4 wkend days, the car sat there, and the few days, before they started the job, USAA denied coverage for my car. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. I have had rentals in the past, and no such discussion, about" actual work time" was ever mentioned. It's BS!, Her remark to me was" its in the policy". I guess we're too read every fine detail, before trusting USAA insurance in the future

• Wi
                winphreak Aug 15, 2013

I have been with USAA for a few years and never missed a payment or had any tickets, accidents, or anything on my record. The last year they have been increasing my insurance premium about $20 a month extra every 6 months. I recently switched to State Farm when I purchased a new vehicle since USAA has been increasing the premiums. I was then told the overpayment on my canceled policy would be refunded to my USAA checking account. The date it was suppose to be deposited, the status shows half was issued to a refund check and the rest is still sitting on a canceled policy. So now I will need to basically wait around a week for a check to arrive so I can mail it back to USAA and wait for it to clear. So I am out of prepaid premium money for the next 2 weeks. USAA does not seem to be the way it used to be.

USAAautomobile claim denial

Many insurance companies want to engage in 'contributory' liability to minimize the payout to the 'other' party. I am the other party and USAA claimed it was a 50/50 at fault accident. I don't have the particulars at this time on what party 'A' said in his statement but initially he apologized along with his wife on at least 3 occasions. Now, I will inevitably win since I have pictures of the incident but I thought I would take this time to tell you how USAA responded to me as the 'other' party. My wife and I were parked in a parking spot with the engine off. Yes, you read that correctly. I made a claim and basically they ignored me and since I wasn't there customer they decided to throw me under the bus. I do have a good company and they will be subrogating USAA based on the notes, pictures and the conversation they had with the USAA customer. What is funny is when I called USAA (only sent with an original acknowledgement letter) the representative (gatekeeper) said based on the damages they determined it was 50/50. I never did get a call back from the supposed adjuster of the claim. What a surprise huh? So I tell the representative after he gives his sales presentation about how it was a 50/50 accident (they still haven't seen the pictures which will be a surprise to them in arbitration) that does he realize the car was parked with the engine off? He is silent. I just tell 'Larry' don't worry about it..I will proceed with my own carrier or in small claims court and I recognize he is doing his job. USAA is no different than most of these carriers when dealing with party 'B'..they are going to look at the bottom line. I just expected more from a supposed reputable carrier. Is USAA now Mercury Insurance? I understand the ways of the world. If you can't pay out in obvious situations then what hope is there for an at fault system. Just make it no fault system since USAA isn't going to do the right thing anyways. Remember, USAA didn't follow up with a 50/50 letter and also didn't even ask for any evidence I had to present. These guys were playing games on the initial phone statement. I guess they didn't like my direct statement. The purpose of this complaint..if you get hit..prepare to file a small claims court action, hire an attorney or go through your carrier (hopefully you have a deductible). Don't expect favorable treatment no matter how obvious the fault of the incident. Shame on USAA. I should think about starting my own insurance company..charge people for insurance, don't pay out to the other party if they are not at fault and then charge my own clients an accident surcharge. Nice. I would attach pictures..maybe in the future once the case is settled. You can see how the tire of the party 'A' if backed up would go straight into the damage of my car. I will be calling USAA once resolved and asking them how I got reimbursed when they said it was 50/50 :).

Not a USAA FAN Nov 09, 2013

Having the same issue = we had out fence/ garden/sprinkler system wrecked by a USAA member who drove his car through in June this year. We are still waiting for USAA to make us whole - the victim. We had to contact them since it was a hit and run accident. Our insurance has sent them the information several times and now we are at arbitration because they say they have not received any of the faxed information that was sent twice this summer!!! USAA of course has paid out their member - he has a new car!!! I know this because he lives around the block and with in 2 weeks bought another car. We also know this because his roomate is a friend of ours. Victims should always be taken care of --- we came home from vacation with a car through our fence ---- not our fault!!! Feeling your pain - hope everything works out!

USAA Federal Savingspoor banking support

USAA, like many companies operating in the online banking industry, endevour to promote their product outside of online methods by offering the convenience of remote services through third-party vendor arrangements, where no brick-and-mortar facilities exist. I rarely have a need to use these options, but recently I had nothing but disappointment for each of the three times I attempted to utilize these advertised conveniences.
                First, they show locations for personally completing banking transactions at local, participating UPS stores. on two occasions, I found that the listed facility didn't do such services. On a third try, I located an actual participating store (after calling USAA and confirming the location and method of execution). When I got to the store 20 minutes after my call to USAA, I found they did indeed have the capability to do my transaction but, during the course of trying to log it in to USAA, the system had been down, The UPS representative spent 25 minutes talking to a USAA "IT" agent, but to no avail, I ended up having to mail the transaction to San Antonio after all.
                It chaps me to be bombarding with national advertising, promoting the benefits of banking with USAA, only to have many of those claims fail in reality.

USAA Savings Bankincorrect repo/sale and reporting

Purchased a vehicle in 2005 with a loan from USAA. Defaulted in 2006 while going through separation. USAA repossessed the vehicle in 2006 in the middle of the night, never gave me the right to correct the situation, nor did they provide me notice of the sale. Apparently they sold it in 2007 for half the amount of the balance. I have made several requests for information, documentation, etc., but they have only provided a copy of my initial check they provided me for the purchase of the truck. USAA has been reporting this as delinquent since 2007, not 2006 and the original purchase amount, not the after sale balance.

USAAauto insurance

I was involved In a major accident, and I ended up having to stay at the hospital for two weeks as I broke my leg. Usaa never bothered to contact me during the whole time I was in the hospital. Upon leaving the hospital I was told by a very ### representative that they have determined who was at fault and I was responsible for blah blah blah. You get the point. Never once did they even ask how I was doing or what l had to say. This woman was very unprofessional. On a side note, while I was in the hospital, an estranged family member of mine tried to call USAA for information. The woman she spoke to gave out information pertaining to the accident and personal things that should not have been given out. The estranged family member repeated to me everything thing she said. There was no way they would've known without calling. I called and complained that they violated major laws by doing this. She told me that the representative told her that she couldn't give my family member any information, and that I would have to call. Of ###ing course she would say that. I asked for their supervisor and that seemed to unsettle her. USAA used to be great but it has really gone downhill.

USAAclosing card for retribution

I possessed a gold master card cash rewards card for thirty plus years. I am a veteran of the viet nam conflict. I filed ch 13 sept 2007 and asked usaa if it was possible to keep my card through the ch 13. Usaa said most definitely as long as I stayed paid up. I did so. The ch 13 was discharged dec 2010.in oct 2012 usaa closed my card without notice or explanation. When I contacted usaa they said they closed the card due to my filing ch 13. I informed them that was some five plus years ago. I believe usaa has done this out of retribution for my complaining to the credit bureaus about their criminally incorrect reporting of home equity loans I have with them. I had this card for thirty some years through the ch 13 and two years pass the ch 13 discharge and now they close it without any notice whatsoever. Very professional.

USAA Federal Savings Bankservice

I was a member of USAA for nearly 23 years. I have moved all my accounts to a credit union and my insurance to Liberty Mutual. Customer service at the bank has steadily gone down hill, and is terrible. They are grossly understaffed. Long hold times and lots of transfers are very common. Get read to put it on speaker phone. You will have a long wait, more than likely They don't pay claims. They don't grant loans. I am told they are particularly bad with mortgage lending. I bought and financed several autos with them. I have had several credit cards with them and in recent years checking and savings. I have closed insurance, checking, savings, loan and will soon terminate my credit card. They are a stuffy, understaffed bank, run of the mill, in Texas and my guess is they will be bought eventually and even if they are not, you can do much better. They are just not what they once were. Do business with a good credit union. I have. You've thought about it more than a few times. Do it today. Don't put it off a minute longer. Leave USAA.

USAA Home Owner's Insurancedrastic home owner's insurance increase

I have had USAA for home owner's insurance over 12 years and NEVER made a claim. I just received a letter stating that my rates will be increased by almost $700 per year. This is ridiculous! I have tried to remain loyal to the company as I also have them for auto insurance. But, I feel they are gouging customers who have paid faithfully, never filed a claim and who do not live near the beach. I am very disappointed with this company at this point and will be getting estimates from other companies.

• Gu
                              gunny3013 Jul 02, 2012

I realize Insurance is a necessity to pay for damages when we can't. The scan begins when they do not want you to file a claim "or else." Once you file a claim your black listed and labeled with increased rates and penalties. So then are we just paying to pay and supposed to get nothing for it? hell I think I'd rather reinstate the MOB. At least they made no bones about the fact that you were paying them for no reason. INSURANCE IS A SCAM ONLY WHEN YOU BECOME MARKED FOR USING IT.

USAA — mortgage

USAA is terrible!!! If you have to deal with them for a mortgage, don't! The mortgage processor and the...

USAA/Mortgagehorrible loan dept

I wish I would have found theis board before I experienced thee exact same theing theat everyone else has. When was my closing date you may ask? Friday July 20the, it came and went, and I am now out of contract, and have 10 days to find a place for my family and pets to live because USAA mishandled thee entire mortgage process. The day before closing theey were still going back and forthe therough thee 3rd party vendor reviewer and thee appraisal and all of a sudden found a lower comparable put it in thee report and said thee value of thee home dropped 16K from thee original appraised value, and theey couldn't loan thee amount of theee sale. REALLY? NO one botheered to call me, I have been following up withe my loan processor every otheer day making sure we were moving in thee right direction. This has been a nightmare. I have used Wells Fargo to purchase 2 previous homes, and can't believe I trusted USAA. I was told my a mgr at USAA on Friday theat I should start proceeding withe anotheer lending institution for my own safety, as she didn't theink theis loan was going to go therough. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks to get anotheer comp reviewed even therough it took less thean a day for theem to therow one in theee day before closing to drop theee home value. I theink it is a scam, and I theink it is to make sure theee bank loans less money on a home theat is far over value. I went withe USAA as I trusted theey took care of theeir military members WRONG

• He
                                Heather Leverson Oct 27, 2012

Just responding to your complaint. I work in the Colordao Springs office. I can tell you that at least my office is on what is known as a "work slowdown". Since us mortgage processors are not unionized, we have little recourse when huge work demands are made upon us. For example, our average caseload is 80 borrowers! We have got to process 80 different loan files concurrently with no support and no systems training! The only way to "get rid" or move oans off of our "pipelines" is to delete the documents the borrowers send in via fax (which comes right to our in bix, email OR delete the emails directly OR delete the inquiries from the member portal system. (thats where you log in to see a secure message). This is all out war and I am sorry it is you, the member that suffers. However, how do we get management's attention?

I admit, there lso is some bitterness on our part as well- picture this: You work for slave wages at a mortgage company, you are treated like dirt, and expected to meet goals. Now, also picture looking at loan applications all day of you phucking winey cry babies retired at 39 years old with a pension for life!!! WTF? No wonder our country is in trouble- freeloaders like those members that have NEVER seen combat/war theater. I can understand taking care of our Veterans that have seen battle- I get it. Anyways, just know that you are way way way better off walking in to your local community bank and sitting across from a real person rather than dealing with a remote service center (USAA) that could care less!