UPSI hate ups - the worst shipping company!

A

I ordered something online and they'd used UPS to send me the package. I paid 2nd Day Air so that I can get the package on time and paid higher than the ground shipping of course. The online store sent me the tracking number so I check it UPS.com to make sure that the package is on time. UPS supposedly deliver it Friday (it was out for deliver Dec. 22 at 3:39AM). I waited and waited until about 10PM because I called their customer service and said that they will deliver it even late night but no package in my front porch. We will be out of town the next day, Saturday still no package in my front porch. I called customer service early morning Saturday and says they will deliver it early morning and now it's 3:30PM Saturday, still no package showing in my front porch. We canceled our trip because of this... UPS deliver personnel knock only once and they don't wait for someone to answer the door or not, so it end up leaving the package in the front porch (the package will LOST because they don't' really care). I HATE UPS, THEY ARE THE WORST SHIPPING COMPANY!!!

• Hh
    Hhook Aug 16, 2020

Horror story of the day. I have a very valuable and important package being delivered to my apartment. It is delayed by a day (it will now be delivered August 15th). I email customer service and get some copy and paste message (this comes in later) that it was delayed till the 17th (Monday) due to weather conditions (well, beautiful weather here so, what gives?) Okay, fine, I'll pick it up tomorrow or something if I can figure out where this package is and just see how this goes. I check the tracking, it'll be delivered tomorrow (August 15th). Okay, at least I'll have it by monday for the event I need to attend with it. August 15th comes, package requires my signature and my signature alone. I mentioned that my neighbors, should I have to leave, are allowed to sign for me as I need this item no matter what. Around late 1PM I get a notification my package was attempted to be delivered at 11:56; ooooops, we missed ya. I never had someone knock on my door. No InfoNotice on it either, or my neighbors, or the office in the main building. I still have no idea what facility the package shipped from either. Great, expensive and important package on the loose with an inept driver. I contact customer service, gentleman is very helpful, "I am so sorry, the driver will call within the hour and re-deliver it to you today!" An hour and a half later; nothing. I call customer service back. As I am in the middle of the call, I revieve a call from an unknown number. I call back IMMEDIATELY. It rings, and rings, and rings. I call multiple times. Nothing. Check the voice message; it's just a name saying that, oops, drive has already arrived back at the facility in a general location in a town not even 11 minutes from me, but I still don't know WHAT store location, and he won't be coming out. However I can pick it up monday or the driver will attempt to deliver it monday. I. Still. Don't. Know. Which. Facility. And I certainly don't trust the driver. I call multiple locations; they have absolutely NO information on my package. Contact customer support again, I'm in tears at this point. This delivery is everything to me at this point, I'll do whatever it takes to get this item (this is for a very personal and important event which is why this has become such a dire situation). The woman is very sympathetic and sends out another message to the facility that is in control of my package (she doesn't know which one exactly it is though, so again, WHERE IS THIS THING?!) She tells me her message said to reach out to me immediately and have it delivered TODAY! No exceptions. I have heard nothing. Email customer support for deliveries and what do I get...the same copy and paste message about bad weather and that's why it's been delayed. Word for word. It is GORGEOUS OUT with no bad weather in sight. I am utterly LIVID and APPALLED at UPS for their horrific, disgusting, lack of care and professionalism for handling these things. Also, for further notice, don't ship with them, USPS is cheaper and offers protection (I go with them EVERY TIME after I spent HALF of what I did initially sending my first care package through UPS to a loved one deployed overseas) with a guarantee it'd be delivered or I'd be compensated. If you can avoid UPS...oh my god avoid them like the plague. I am disgusted. I have no words.

• Ew
    Ewww UPS Mar 02, 2021

@Hhook [protected] UPS Corporate Customer Relations
    UPS Corporate Customer Relations
    [protected]
    After a BBB complaint we were contacted by UPS (above). if UPS does not help you dispute your transaction and cancel your payment with your credit company. When ordering from vendors let them know that UPS has become a persistent problem and DO NOT SHIP UPS.

• Ad
    Adim Sain Aug 30, 2019

Such an informative post regarding a complaint of ups, It will be helpful for many of us. Keep giving updates.

ups courier service

• Up
    UPS_sucks_balls Oct 29, 2018

UPS is by far the worst shipping company in the whole universe!! I was expecting a delivery last Thu, 5 days later and still nothing. Best joke: they said address was incorrect (which it wasn't), so I had to give them the address again and guess what, they changed the address, sending me a confirmation email with a new, WRONG address (spelling mistake in the street name)!!! Also, I left my phone # - no call or sms, I tried setting up an account on 3 (!) different browsers PLUS on my iphone via their sh*t app - didn’t work, UPS site it says, "You can change your delivery after a delivery attempt has been made. Please track again using the InfoNotice number, which can be found above the barcode on the notice you received.” - but we never received any InfoNotice number nor any notice… called the tel. # they sent me in an email. Some very bad mannered person replied, couldn’t even speak properly and then hung up on me...
    I needed this delivery urgently for a production, paid extra for the shipment, lost a week of work, and those retards are not willing or able to solve this... UPS never again!!!

• Ir
    irokin May 11, 2018

Omg, I fking hate UPS soooooooooo much. These guys are [censored] to the most level that is imbearable. WTF man, just get your [censored] sorted up before taking any order again. you suck!!!

• Ge
    Georges Lamaziere May 10, 2018

UPS IS THE WORST COURIER OR SHIPPING COMPANY IN THE WHOLE WORLD! It's a total fraud, incompetent, expensive, and slow.

• Ms
    Ms. Kwill Apr 09, 2018

On Friday March 30th I went to my local UPS Store. Located at 981 Highway 98 East, Ste 3, Destin, FL 32541 and was served by Stephen. I requested Priority Mail for my package destined for a PO Box in California. I was informed that the package would arrive Monday April 2nd by the UPS Representative. As of today April 9th I am unable to see any type of tracking updates. Both tracking numbers that I have been provided with says Pre-Shipment which means the package has not left UPS facility and only a shipping label was created. I have lost time and money in this delay, everyone at the UPS store seems clueless, as though I never dropped a package off. I have been back and forth between the Post Office and UPS trying to get answers as to where my package is. Since according to UPS the package was handed over to the Post Office. Funny this is a very annoyed supervisor at the Post Office sternly told me that if the package was not scanned by the Post Office it means UPS still has it. I intend to seek legal help/advise on how to proceed, this is utterly unacceptable. UPS is a service provider who people trust with their items, however clearly reliability is not a key factor if customers like myself cannot rest assured. That defeats the purpose of even providing a tracking number. Also why create a shipping label and then tell me blatantly that once you do that the package is out of your control. How does that help me? when the Post Office is saying UPS never gave them the package. To add insult to injury an agent at the store had the audacity to tell me that this happens quite often and my package might be lost or fallen off the truck.
    Ps: Disappointed+Frustrated

• Da
    Daniel Thomas Dec 11, 2017

Completely!!! Just bought shoes. And said was delivered. He just left at wrong address!! Not as portrayed in the Tom Hanks movie!

• Ab
    Abian Gonzalez Frances Jul 05, 2017

UPS IS THE WORST COMPANY!

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU.

I´M STILL WAITING FOR MY DELIVERY. I DID IT A WEEK AGO AND THE PACKAGE HAVEN´T BEEN PICKED UP YET.

THE WORST THE WORST THE WORST COMPANY. I WON´T USE USP ANYMORE.

• Kc
    Kc Ever May 10, 2017

uPS is awful, I got 2 day shipping ordered on the 7th. Still not here on the 10th. So I call and they are rude to me, and threaten to just return my order to the sender!!! Horrible customer service I can't believe they're still in business!

Comments
    Comments

• Be
    Bert1021 May 07, 2017

My wife ordered a custom handbag from guess, they drop it at mini market 4 blocks away then didn't make a phone call or left a door tag, the guy at the mini market wanted a door tag to give her the package, he could' t speak English too, they return it to store, she and I are disappointed with UPS, THEY NEED A LEGAL OFFICE TO PICK UP PACKAGES AT CANOGA PARK .CA

• Ryoshan Apr 29, 2017

I think the only way any of us will get satisfaction is to file a class action suit. Below is the link to my complaint. I have filed complaints with my state Attorney General and insurance controller as well as filed complaints on various customer service complaints sites. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people who are not happy with this company's business practices and it seems that the only way they will take notice/action is if we all get together and do a class action suit. On peopleclaim, there are seventeen complaints against them. As I understand it, at least thirty-five people are needed to start a formal suit. I think we can get enough people for that despite a consumer advocate site telling me there is "nothing that I can do". The point of consumer advocacy is to remind companies that they are NOT "too big to fail" and UPS needs a reminder of that.
    Here is a link to my complaint on Peopleclaim: http://www.peopleclaim.com/complaint-details/ups-united-parcel-service-headquarters-atlanta-ga-5977772

• Ve
    Verzus El Koncreto Mar 10, 2017

UPS worse company ever everyday they get worse and worse I wish sellers had their own shipping business .

• Ms
    M.s.d Sep 24, 2016

OMG UPS is the worst

• Di
    Dilligaf?! ? Jun 29, 2016

I don't know if other courier services does this but they would just drop off your package in front door if nobody is home...not leave a note that an attempt to deliver has been made but nobody is home so it is at the closest UPS depot where you can pick up the package. I'd rather drive to the depot where the package is safe than in the front door where it can either get wet from rain or snow, damaged by animals & pets, or get stolen. not cool.

• Ph
    Phuck Yu Jun 28, 2016

I have been selling on eBay for 10 years, shipping literally THOUSANDS of packages. Of the 15 or so shipped via UPS Ground, fully HALF are damaged. Of the thousands of other shipped via USPS over 10 years, only ONE was damaged with the item being broken, the result of being crushed. I sold a large item recently on eBay, entering "UPS Ground" as the method, and putting the size and weight carefully and truthfully (with size rounded to the next inch) into the item info. Ebay quotes the customer $140 shipping, which he pays. I go to print the label, and now it's charging me $180. I eat the $40 charge, print the label and drop it off at the nearest "UPS Store". The guy scans the printed label, and gives me a receipt. A few days later, I get a completely unclear email from UPS saying they're apparently charging me ANOTHER $60 PLUS a $6.32 "Gas Surcharge"! "You don't have to pay this, we've ALREADY deducted the amount from your PayPal account"! A few days later, I get ANOTHER email from UPS, stating that they're taking ANOTHER $110 from my PayPal account! Absolutely furious by this time, I call UPS, get an automated run-around for about 20 minutes, and get a person on the phone saying that the $110 charge is to send the item BACK to me because it was undeliverable. I inform the UPS person that not only was the package delivered to the customer, it was broken. She agrees to refund me the $110, but "it may take a few days to appear in your account".
    As for the broken item claim, they're sayin "according to your Terms Of Use Agreement, you are supposed to have 2" of packing materials on all sides of the item, and it was determined not to have that!" . The item was a cast metal statue attached to a piece of 3/4" plywood, and suspended in the middle of a huge box. The only way it possibly could have been broken was to have dropped it from a height of 5' or better. Claim DENIED! I WILL NEVER USE UPS AGAIN!

• Co
    coachcarda Jun 11, 2016

Who knew what a crappy company UPS was??? I've not had the misfortune to have stuff shipped to me by them until recently. Companies I use have shipped to me by USPS and Fedex, never a problem. In the past two weeks my wife and I have had two shipments not delivered because there was nobody home to sign for them. In neither case did the shipper - my wife to herself from California - require a signature. In both cases the delivery man decided it was unsafe to leave it on the front step. My shipment was one that I needed before the weekend. I ordered on Wednesday, paid for two day air, and found the notice on the front door at lunch that a signature was needed.
    Let me tell you: my neighborhood is old, houses set back from the road, very safe. The delivery man could have left his wallet on the front porch and come back to pick it up the next day. I and neighbors have had Fedex and USPS packages sit out for a couple days before, particularly around the Holidays, never a problem.
    After I picked up the notice, I spent 45 minutes on the phone with several nice people in customer service who agreed to charge me $6 to deliver to a UPS store a couple miles from the house by 1:00 Saturday. OK, that is not what I wanted, but I needed the order. It didn't arrive. I called customer service. THIS person told me that service was not available on weekends, that my package would be at the UPS store on Monday. Five days after I ordered it, three days after promised, for $6 extra. No apologies, just that it was driver's discretion. Chicken sh!t ###. I've contacted the retailer, asked for a refund of the two day shipping charge since they have more clout than I do. And I told them that until they quit using UPS, I would not buy online from them again.

• Em
    employee concerned Sep 10, 2015

I am an employee of UPS Freight. I take pride in my job and sometimes do things against company policy to help customers. I won't give any details to my experiences, I'm only saying that we are not all rude, we are not all incompetent, many of us are hard workers. We work until the job is finished. We are given a load of freight to be delivered within a certain time frame. In addition to deliveries, we also have pickups with in the same time frame.It is a very complex system. Though many of you are understandably frustrated, try to understand, you are not the only delivery or pick up we have to make. Try to understand what we have to go thru to take care of the customers. I'm not supporting the idea of being rude to customers, but it is a very difficult job to do. Running a package truck is even more grulling than the freight side. Those guys might have 75-100 stops each day. Maybe more. Again, I don't support being rude, but it may help explain why your packages might get delivered to th wrong place or why the driver only waited a couple seconds for you to answer. The solution is surely being looked at. Don't assume we are all as described by so many of you!! God luck with future dealings. I hope at some point you receive better service. And as some of you may already know, they're all about the same!!

• Be
    Becera Jul 20, 2015

The worst company ever!!! We sent a package which we paid extra for Saturday delivery which was undelivered. We frantically called them on Saturday to no avail. Now, Monday, we have been calling to see if it would be delivered at least in the morning, NOT!!! I have been on the phone with UPS since 7:30 am. It is now, 11:33 am and still no package...they promised it would be delivered by 10:30 am, NOT!!! Every time I call customer service and speak with a supervisor from Utah and Florida, they don't have a clue on what happened. They screwed everything up, forget about the 12:00 pm meeting by boss is having with our client and YES...NO FREAKIN' DOCUMENTS CAUSE THE GOOD FOR NOTHING UPS PEOPLE COULD NOT DELIVER OUR PACKAGE AT THE PROMISED DATE...WE WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!! BEWARE IF YOU SEND PACKAGES THROUGH THEM.

• I have had nothing but headaches when I order items to be "expedited" they NEVER show up!!!
    I always request FED EX as they seem to be able to provide the service that I desire and they advertise, complete shipment on time!!!

I am going to request all packages be sent US MAIL as they are seemingly more reliable!!!

• St
    Steven Daniel Dec 08, 2014

Here in our suburb of Cincinnati called Fairfax we have a UPS driver that has found a real time savings trick any package that is reguired to be signed for he leaves a tag on the door without knocking or ringing the door. Took the day off work to wait on a package to have them leave a tag that will be delivered the next day no one knocked or rang the door bell. So I had call and after multiple attempts got a person that speaks english and they had the package held. Which then reguired me to have to drive 20 miles round trip downtown to a bad part of town to pick up package

Angry customer 123 Feb 13, 2014

My package suppose to come today. They kept saying on the phone when i call it will be delivered today. Guess what? After it was 12 noon: Now its saying tomorrow. I called and demanded to get it delivered today because i took off work for the day because the package was very important. But noooo. They dont care. Now they are insisting its not their fault that the package was delayed and cannot have me get it myself at the facility. Wth. This is the 3rd time this happened to me with them!!! Customer service line is a waste of time!

• Pr
    pretty_dancer Aug 15, 2012

I have to say I agree. I finally had a major disaster on a package deliver (ie antique marbel) table and there customer service has been terrible. They've denied the initial claim despite me having video evidence that shows there driver destroying my package by rolling it across my yard

Originally after the damage was reported UPS came to do an inspection. I wasn't informed of it. The driver left and note and said they'd be back on Monday. I stayed home from work that Monday for the Damage Inspection as per my UPS tracki
    ng # and waited all day long. No one showed up, so at 5:30 and 7:15 I called there 800 line and was assured the driver was still coming by. No one ever came by. Even stopped the UPS driver as he went by my house and he wasn't aware of anything.

Called UPS the next morning and they put me in touch with the local office where I was informed I need to repack the antique custom wrapped package because they don't do inspections on site. Told the person that was almost an impossibility. They said I had no other options. Spent 1 hr trying to repack the package. Gave up called 800 # again, and offered to drive it to the local UPS office for inspection. They said that wasn't allowed. Wasted another 45 minutes trying to repack it. Gave up and made several more phone calls to 800 #. Eventually I asked to speak to a supervisor who said oh yeah we can do onsite inspections. Argh!!! How many hours of my time had I wasted and the level of negative customer appreciation did that generate. Allot!!!

Soon after words a lady from UPS Damage Exception Group called me and sent me email asking me to take pictures of everything. So I took photos of everything. But since they have a 5MB email limit I put all the photos on my public DropBox and sent the email that same day with the links to all the photos and the above video. On Friday in may mail box I get notice that they haven't received any photos fro this claim. So obviously their whole system just strips the photos out. I forwarded the video and photos to the inspection group. The video bounced since it was over 5MB

Got a notice from them to contact the shipper in regards to the status. Which I did and found out they denied the claim. I'm amazed. I have video of the driver rolling my 88lb fragile/handle with care/glass package across the sidewalk to my house and they denied the claim. Unbelievable.

The shipper is challenging the denial but I'm not hopefull. May have to explore going to small claims court on this one.

But I'll now avoid UPS when ever possible. They've lost what was a loyal customer that appreciated there service. Not anymore

• Mi
    mike michaud Mar 14, 2012

this has got to be the most disrespectful company i have ever delt with. to start with the package delivered to be was damaged beyond comprehension and the driver dropped it off to me at 738 pm and hauled ###, there was obvious damage and he didnt want to deal with it. i was told that it should have been inspected by the driver in front of me be he left. i called and told the same as many others, keepall packing material, box and items inside you wiil hear from us in about a week and we will pick up the box and packaging. i waited a week and heard nothing so i called and asked about the status. it was denyed. so i asked how they denied it and i was told" sir we have your package here with us and its obvious that there insuffient packaging" so i asked how she could have it there if im standing inmy garage looking at it, nothing came after that. let me explain the item inside of obvious crushing. the custom personally built computer i had recently invest around 1800 dollars into was destroyed with what can only be described as unexplainable damage. this is the kind of damage that could have only come from force. it is a full metal case with reinforcements, now its twisted and sits crooked, the locking access panle was torn away from the computer, the locking face panel was torn away from the locking mechanism, both the front and back have been pushed in destroying the drives and heads up display. there are crushing dents on the outside and dents coming out from the inside, the graphics card that was locked into the motherboard was ripped away from the motherboard and bounced around inside destroying the heatsink and fan and memory, the power supply pluugged was also ripped away from the board, and there small pieces missing from the board itself. the power supply was pushed in from the back side. the box is beyond destroyed with damage on all sides, hole and tears with some crush points as well, one corner was torn open about half way down the box. this was a new box my parents purchased the day of the shipping. the reason i recieved denyng my claim was unexceptable. after talking to ups claims several times i got the " we have to hear from the shipper." deal. i find that they like to play with people and run them around for nothing more than enjoyment. they said if i was lucky i would recieve 100.00 dollars in compensation.

i look at this way. the package was in there hands and possesion during shipping they are responcible for the damages. i will never ship throught them again but will contiue to fight for my money, eventually they will get tired of hearing from me and cave.

the box is beyond destroyed with damage on all sides, hole and tears with some crush points as well. this was a new box my parents purchased the day of the shipping. so basically it goes like this...

ship with us we are professionals but please dont expect to respond to your claim in a timely manner or with cdo care, we have our money and dont care anymore. have a nice day screw you and hope to do buisness again.

this how it feels anyway.

• St
    Stegasaurus Mar 01, 2012

UPS really sucks. I hate having to use them, but unfortunately I run a small business, and I have no real choice sometimes. They are extremely slow to respond to problems they create and their drivers and shipping center staff are incompetent ###s. I've had shipments lost, delayed, damaged, and just about any other problem one could imagine. They always deliver my stuff at the most inconvenient times, such as when I'm at work, and make no attempt to try to work with me to deliver what I need when I need it. This stubborn inflexibility is what I hate the most about them.

Most recently, I had a computer part shipped to me, and lo and behold, they tried to deliver it when I was at work. I live in an apartment, so they can't leave my stuff at the door, lest someone will steal it. I can't go pick it up at their shipping center because it's out of town, and their hours suck. So I went to their website and tried to change the day of delivery to one of my days off. They say they can't commit to a set time, which is B.S. They always deliver it as early as possible when I can't be home to pick up my stuff, and when I am home, they either don't deliver it all day, or wait until the last possible moment to show up, so I was held hostage in my own home waiting for their stupid driver.

It took till the end of the day of the rescheduled drop-off for their tracking program to register the delivery change I made on a Monday to deliver on a Wednesday. Then they inexplicably slap an exception on my delivery and make me wait another damn day for delivery. The stupid driver didn't show up until Thursday at 7:00 P.M. So I had to waste two of my days off waiting for something that I could've had at the beginning of the week if they would allow you to tell them what time you are available for delivery. The USPS is superior in every way and I try to use them as much as possible.

• Ow
    OwnedU2Fast Feb 16, 2012

The biggest con is that if you order next day shipping on Friday, you will get it on Monday as they do not deliver weekends. Pure suckage. I was expecting an airsoft gun on the 18th, a day I REALLY need it for, and now I should be "expecting" it on the 21st. Other than that, two days late, or one day late from the expected shipping date usually, but I haven't had any terribly bad experiences with UPS. If you need a package on the weekends, or before Monday, go with FedEx.

• Lm
    lmoran Aug 25, 2011

I ordered a computer over the internet. I used the tracking number provided on UPS website yesterday morning which stated"out for deliver" waited all day and NO delivery. I checked the tracking again this morning and stated it was delivered yesterday at 2:20 pm and left at side door. I called Ups and told them I never received the package. Their response was "Did you check with your neighb0rs?" I explained that I am disabled and was not able to check with my neighbors due to their homes not being wheelchair accessible? Why would it be my responsibility to check with my neighbors to track their error? I called the retail store and now have launched an investingation on what happened to the package. I also asked the retailer wasn't the package signature confirmation? They said it was left up to the driver of UPS's discretion. How convenient.

• Mi
    Mike McCarry Jun 09, 2011

I would have to agree ! This week they lost an expensive package without explanation and claim to have attempted delivery but no notice. BUT that is trivial compared the experience my wife had today, she went to the post office at 140th st 7-8 Ave, stood for 20 minutes in 95 degree heat to be turned away because she had a 3 pound teacup yorkie dog in a bag hung over her shoulder. This brings customer service to a new level even for UPS, to top it the employee was just about as nasty as they can get ! I registered the complaint in the hope but have complained twice before about the same type of behavior and no change. In my opinion this is a group of people who are entitled and feel tenured for life of employment, it is a culture and those in charge came from this culture so don't wait for change anytime soon. Advise use FED EX when you can.

• On
    OneCitizen Jun 07, 2011

Lately, UPS has really sucked! It's as if they're following the model of AT&T for the worst service. It's virtually impossible to speak to a human on the phone at UPS since their automated phone system is on an endless loop - reminding you that customer's of UPS mean nothing to them. Will avoid using UPS in future whenever possible.

• The complaints reflect my experience with UPS. Most things arrive in good shape and good time. But they don't handle exceptions and urgent situations well. And they have no effective customer service. They are a 9 to 5 Monday to Friday operation - union to the core. I once paid $50 for guaranteed delivery by Friday. When the package didn't arrive, I checked the tracking number and found the record online. The record said there was no such address as mine. A surprise to me, of course! I tried late Friday to contact UPS unsuccessfully - I did not know how to get thru their voice response system (there is a trick that I learned on the next Saturday morning at a UPS store). I got thru by phone and they located the package at a local warehouse, but I was not allowed to pick it up (9 - 5 Mon. to Fri. again). I finally got the package - too late for its use the next week. The address was correct! Clearly, the driver was tired Friday night and wrote up a phony excuse to avoid a late delivery. I wrote to the CEO and the Board, never heard a thing from "customer relations" (if they have such a thing). Only solace was that UPS store credited me the $50 for the failure against the guarantee.

• Ef
    EfEoEuErEtHyH0H3 Apr 16, 2011

First and foremost, having the opportunity to work at UPS as non union and union capacity (hourly, (package handler) and as a supervisor (hub operations), I can vouch (for my hub I worked at) that the management cries when a package is "misplaced".

The packages are not misplaced on purpose, most likely an employee did not pay attention or placed the package in the wrong truck. Usually, when your package says it's
    out for delivery and it's not even on the truck, that means the preloader put it in truck #1 and scanned truck # 2 and made the system believe the package is in # 2. When that driver goes out, he will be looking for that package frantically when that stop comes up, and by that time, most likely the customer will be calling UPS at the same time..

These are called missorts (back when i worked there), and management does take them as serious incidents. Since management is non union, (and most likely the employee who
    performed the missort, is union), the only thing that can be done is to document said infraction and write the employee up if it's a common issue.

I was a supervisor for 4 years, in a high volume sorting operation, in which on average, processed about 40, 000 packages per shift. I had about 35 - 40 employees, from sorters, loaders, stewards, etc.. who are all human. UPS may get a bad apple here and there, and since I left the company a while ago, Im sure they implemented a better system to avoid the missorts.

I even had packages missorted, the tracking system said my package was en route, and I waited 2 extra days.

In my sort, I had trucks who's destinations were all over the country. California, Texas, Maryland, Virginia, .. etc .. I had about 28 different destinations, in which myself, and other employees had to remember by zip code. Some trucks (trailers) can have over 80 zipcodes. Sometime, s the IE (industrial engineering) dept. never see's the sorting process, and assigns trucks that go opposite directions in the country, right next to each other. Sometimes a loader might load 1300 packages (and there is a certain way to properly load these trucks so things do not get damaged).

Quality Assurance employees perform load quality audits daily, takes pictures of the loaded truck, make sure company policy is followed, and make the supervisor aware of quality issues.

For an example with the missorts, Lets say We have two trucks on the same conveyor belt in which an employee stands at, and sorts packages by allowing california packages go down the belt, and maryland packages go behind him on another belt. These sorters will physically look at over [protected] packages an hour. They must look at the zipcode, or a human readable code.

You may have Amazon who ships +1000 daily to one truck / destination, and other companies ship countless of other boxes.. etc, and sometimes the sorter will have a wall of packages coming at them at once. Sometimes the belt will get stopped, and the sorting above him (where the initial packages came from in the first place) keep on coming, even if this sorter's belt is stopped.. Once he sorts the 100 packages in the 2ft of conveyor belt in front of him, he starts the belt back up, and has to "bump it" (turning it on and off) until he is able to sort without turning the belt off.

He might accidentally miss a maryland package, and it will go down to the california truck. and, 99.9999% of the time, these packages get caught by loader who is loading the truck.. But sometimes, one might get by.. Sometimes the packages have multiple labels and the person handling it at that time, didnt see it.. So lets say he accidently loads it.

That Maryland package will have to go to California. The system shows it, but it's too late. A driver already took that trailer bound for California to the rail yard or airport.. etc .. The trailer is already gone. There has been many instances where I came in on a sunday, and unloaded 1500 packages from a tractor trailer to find a missorted envelope. We cannot stop a train once it's enroute, nor can you an aircraft once it's off the ground.

This is a fast pace work environment, and when I left, they were implemented new technology to make the scanners (the one's wore by the loader) to reject packages not programmed for that destination. UPS has the best tracking interface. second to best other than GPS. Now, that Package has to go to california, before anyone can get it. When the truck is unloaded, that package will be scanned, and it will show it's a missort, then it will be pulled and next day air to the customer.

I am not defending UPS, Im not defending the customers. I just wanted to shed some light on how the process work, and when looked at, it's an amazing operation. Nothing is ever perfect, but, im sure there will always be room for improvement.

One more thing. As a supervisor, I ran through walls for my employees, and they did the same for me. There has been many times where these packages come like a waterfall at Niagara Falls.. The best loaders can only load so much, so fast, and accurately before the hammer comes down on them. It's either speed, and no accuracy; or quality and accuracy and a ten fold work load on the employees. Its a hard thing to balance in this operation, which the supervisors try to find common ground.

I use to test my loaders and sorters all the time. I use to make dummy packages, with fake labels, throwing it the truck, and see if the employee catches it. Again, 99.999% time they do.
    When they didnt, they got a write up. When they did catch it, I would let them watch me work why they got paid watching me. (people who work in a union shop, will see why management shouldnt work and cannot work union work)..
    If my area was running smooth and I had an extra supervisor, it would be common for me to "network" with them this way to gain trust, confidence and work ethnic.

The point in this is, if your package is a day late; most likely, someone does has to answer it other than the person at 1800UPS .. I did many times ..

• Ze
    zer0 May 28, 2018

@EfEoEuErEtHyH0H3 Actually, it does sound like you are very much defending UPS. My experience as an employee was quite polar opposite of yours. Managers would "salt" loads with real, not fake packages. If they were your buddy, you might get one salt a week, or maybe even one per night. If they simply didn't like you, for any reason, they might salt you 3 to 5 times per truck. Care to guess how many salts left on the wrong truck? It was deplorable, to say the least. And this is just one part of how bad that facility sucked.
    With my current experiences as a customer, I am guessing that the facility I previously worked at is still awful, if not worse.
    Top this all off with my most recent experience, which involves (as just one piece of this mud pie) a personal guarantee from an individual at that facility that I would absolutely get my package. 5 days later and said package is still MIA, possibly locked in a truck. Possibly. Nobody knows for sure. Seems a super huge flaw to me. Not to mention that the tracking says the package has been out for delivery for over 84 hours now. I should hope that if this driver has not returned after 3 1/2 days that they have at least sent out a missing persons report.
    And for the record, when UPS attempts to deliver to the wrong address, and they have the DIAD information that proves as much, then the tracking status should not say that the customer "was not in." It should say "Sorry, we screwed up and tried to give your package to the wrong person."

• La
    LA1 Apr 15, 2011

I am currently on the phone with UPS...i was expectating my books for school to arrive I paid for the two day service. the day of arrival UPS misplaced the package. The next business day I called again they said it would be there by 5:00 NO PACKAGE!!! Still im waiting for this package and I have yet to speak with someone who can tell me where my packages are! How do you make the same MISTAKE two days in a ROW #fail #companysucks #UPSsucks! I will NEVER use their service again. I have now missed two assignments, becuase of this I am totally upset this has been the worst experience ever! I hope that no one ever uses UPS is their a way for us to contact coporate!

saber1 Feb 24, 2011

I trusted UPS to do a simple job, deliver my documents to my accountant in Florida. Quite and easy task one would have thought. Chicago to Florida, 2 day delivery $25.85. What is wrong with these incompetent people. Read label and deliver package as addressed. Now how difficult is that. Well in the case of UPS this is a very difficult task, I'm really not sure why, maybe common sense is not a requirement for working on such a tough task.

Oh and a word of advice. Don't bother calling UPS to ask why your package didn't arrive, after reeling off your tracking number to at least 5 people and the words from customer service, huh, i duno, but if you pay a further $15.00 i'll find someone with a brain to redeliver your package.

Really UPS, without a doubt your company is a total disgrace

• Ea
    Eagle Chris Feb 09, 2011

My usual UPS driver was in yesterday again with missing packages from a multiple package delivery from one of my suppliers. He then goes on to tell me that he doesn't know what's happening with UPS as he hasn't made a multiple package delivery with all of the pieces in over three weeks. Good job UPS, you suck. I see comments from people who are occasional users of this service, try imagining that this is the service I have been given for years and I ship thousands of dollars worth of their service each week from Canada clear across the country and in to the USA daily. You'd think these [censored]s would sort of look after their large accounts at least. I am trying to convince my company that Brown "HAS" indeed done enough for us today!

• Pu
    PUS Feb 03, 2011

Honestly, UPS has some lazy [censored] employees(driver) that they don't look into, don't even ring the door bell and took off within couple of second to make a quick route. I was home all day(took off from work) expecting the package to arrive and ended up with a packages slip on the door at the end of the day( multiple times has occurred, otherwise I would not leave such comment). Again, poor service and bunch of lazy a-- drivers. Hopefully, in the near future every company will have more shipping couriers to choose from at check out.

• Lo
    lobes Jan 29, 2011

I agree... the worst shipping company ever... their domestic service takes longer than international shipments. My package was never delivered and they said the recipient rescheduled the shipping date when nobody came to deliver any package. So after three days of calling hare and there and waiting for the shipment, finally someone called and they said i can come pick a shipment because they don't deliver on the weekends. Because of their service I lost three days of my business which they don't seem to care at all. I personally wouldn't ever use their service.

mamali Dec 13, 2010

in my case I was sitting at home waiting for the shipment, it was supposed being between 9 am to 7 pm.
    no delivery and surprising I noticed that the there was an attempt and I was not home!!! for sure no Info-notice was on my door either. the driver was so lazy and has simply ignored my shipment! happened in Austria - Vienna. I try not to use their service again but unfortunately some vendors work only with them.

j.aaronclark Dec 09, 2010

UPS is the worst, I 100% agree! Why do they leave packages on the doorstep and not just wait for someone to answer??? I hated it when they told me that my stuff had already been delivered to my home when in fact it hadn't been. Oh, I paid the two day thing also! UGH! We as consumers really need to get the word out about UPS! Tell friends, family, neighbors, everyone!

• Le
    LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY! Aug 31, 2010

NEVER SHIP UPS! THEIR SERVICE AND LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY IS DISGUSTING!

UPS is the most garbage service our family has ever experienced in our life! I literally HATE them! Sent a brand new flat screen 40 inch Samsung television from BC to ONTARIO. UPS guy at the store even helped me package the television into a brand new UHAUL television box which was purchased the day before. The UPS guy assured that the TV was packaged properly and still insurance was purchased just incase something goes wrong. Well guess what... Shipment of the television arrived, the box was destroyed and even the foam protectors that was placed on the corners of the TV were broken. The television itself was destroyed, dented, chipped and falling apart. We were upset, but relieved that insurance was purchased to cover the loss. UPS picked it up and afterwards we were accused of not properly packaging it into a corrugated box that was used! $800.00 down the drain and no compensation for their reckless behaviour! I'm shocked that they are not already out of business! So don't be a fool and do business with them thinking that it won't happen to you because you probably will be in for a rude awakening!

• Fo
    former UPSer Jul 22, 2010

Havingworked for UPS for almost 10 years, I can tell you truthfully by firsthand experience that when the
    employees themselves call UPS "United Package Smashers" they speak accurately. Mgmt. gives lip service to treating every package as a "guest of honor" but they're hypocritical liars because their first and foremost priority is their profit margin and cramming packages into trucks as fast as humanly possible.

Here's a good rule of thumb for deciding whether or not to use UPS. If it's a letter or something non-breakable, and you need it to arrive quickly somewhere, then by all means use UPS. They're the fastest.

If the contents are fragile or precious to you or the receiver, then go with Fed Ex of the U.S. post office. Statistically those two companies pay out far less money in damages to their customers than UPS has to because they actually do care more about their customer's goods than their bottom line.

antony.con Mar 31, 2010

I'm living in the UK. UPS is terrible even here! MY package was supposed to be deliverd this monday, i payed £6.29 for the next working day delivery but then it was postponed until tuesday :S, then the tracking system says that my home address is incorrect and my appartment number is incorrect or missing. So i phoned them up the same day and had to give them my address and phone number again. They told me it will be delivered on wednesday. Well today is wednesday and i havn't recieved my package. The tracking status changed at 4:35am(destination scan) but has not been updated since.
    This is my first and last time using this company after this trouble they have caused me and because of the many complaints all over the web i have read.