University of Phoenixsign you up, then leave you hanging!!

H

I have attended UOP for about a year and a half with fairly good results as far as professors are concerned. However, dealing with my financial/academic advisors has been a pain staking process. They do not return calls, respond to emails, nor do they have the knowledge about procedures that they should have. Any time I had to change my schedule they would completely screw everything up!
I had problems in my last course due to an illness, which I brought to my professors attention as soon as it started to become a problem, she directed me to my academic advisor and suggested that I request an "I" which means that I would be granted additional time to complete my course.
When discussing this possibility with my advisor, he had never heard of it and stated that the only thing I could do would be to drop out of the course. (What a bunch of bull) It clearly states in the hand book that this is a viable solution. Anyway, I continued to try and complete my assignments as best as possible until my final.
I emailed my teacher that Sunday (Day seven, last day of the course) and explained that I was very ill and that I could not complete my final by midnight. I was then admitted in the hospital and was not released for several days. Upon my release I called my professor to explain my situation and she told me that her hands were tied; I should once again contact my advisor.
I followed her instructions and once again I'm not getting any help. However they did make it clear that they do not excuse finals for ANY REASON! My only alternative would be to retake the course, at my expense!! I have submitted my medical documents to prove my case but evidently that’s not good enough.
I'm sorry, but I have never heard of a school not allowing students to make up finals based on documented medical reasons!! I would have passed this course in spite of my illness causing a few late assignments had it not been for the final. Moreover, I have never received below a "B" in any of my other 16 courses. Although I have received 42 credits and I'm so close to getting my associates degree, I want nothing more than to transfer to a more respectable university.

If you do decide to apply at this university make sure that you are not late on your assignments (for any reason), don't make any changes to your schedule and don't expect to have any issues you might have to be resolved in a timely fashion. As for me, I might have to complete my Associates with UOP but I will not continue my education with them. Oh, and by the way, UOP is very over priced; especially for the service you receive. After researching other universities I could have gotten the same degree for 3/4 of the price.

• Li
    LisainTN Jul 02, 2009

I just finished my Associates in Health Administration at Axia and I am glad to be done with it!
    I also had major problems with my finance and academic advisors as in they were non-existent for the first year and a half. My academic advisor cost me money because she didn't do her job concerning two classes with DQ's in the same week. She was aware of this and should have contacted me with an option to stagger the classes but she never did.

I started the two classes and realized 3 days in that I could not keep up with the DQ's postings and assignments required in each class. When I call her she admitted that she should have called me with this information and that I wouldn't be charged for that week of that class. Well low and behold I received a bill for that class anyway and was forced to pay it because she blew me off.

I tried to call her and the finance lady for several weeks and never received a call back so I then called my local campus to speak to my enrollment person and she was out. I then received a call from someone in Nashville who actually spoke to me but didn't actually do anything for me so I vowed there and then to finish my degree and go else where for the completion of my degree.

About 4 months after all of this and not having academic or finance counselor, I started getting very friendly calls from a fellow who claimed at first to be my advisor for my graduation. Then as weeks went by he started talking to me about enrollment for the completion of my four year degree. I have to say he was and still is in contact with me on a regular basis, which was weird after attending for a year and a half without any kind of adequate advisor.

I can completely comprehend at this point that the "enrollment counselors" will tell you want to hear, suck you in, take your money, and then forget you exist. This is consistent with the original poster to this complaint that once you are enrolled, you are just a money fund to them.

As for the classes, I found many to be truly challenging and I did learn a wealth of knowledge so I’m not sure why anyone would say you can pass without effort because that’s just not true if you did your own reading and work. I really don’t care for on-line format as I would rather be looking a professor in the eye when asking questions so I could at least be reassured that a real instructor was teaching the class. There were a few classes that made me wonder if an educated person was teaching or if they had someone filling in at the last minute. All in all it has been an “ok” experience but I won’t be attending UOP this fall because of the discrepancies I experienced in the last two years.

• Vixter Jun 29, 2009

Alpha-1s who have never smoked are often diagnosed with emphysema as their primary disease. Other common diagnoses include COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), asthma, chronic bronchitis, and bronchiectasis. Alphas are usually quite susceptible to lung infections, and any of these conditions, at least in my case, causes further damage t my lungs.

When you lack oxygen (emphysema, COPD, asthma, chronic bronchitis) and have symptoms of cough, sputum production, or wheezing and/or you are hooked up to oxygen and/or having augmentation therapy, it takes a little longer to get things done. Lack of oxygen affects your ability to function and sometimes it takes longer to think through a problem, or remember a process.

If you are interested in Alpha1 here is their website: http://www.alpha1.org/

People are dying from this disorder and this website may give you a clearer picture of the disease.

NonnieMouse,

fyi, there are all types of catistrophic illnesses. I have ALPHA-! that is a genetic, progressive and non-curable disorder that makes me ADA disabled.

Long story, short, it takes me a little bit longer to complete tasks, but I can complete tasks given a little extra time. Also, I was trying to ask for a "reasonable" accomodation so I requested 1 week not 2.

Please don't be so quick to judge people. It's very unattractive.

• Vixter Jun 29, 2009

UOP is a rip off if you become ill, especial if you have a catistrophic illness. I became disabled and asked for a special accomodation, i.e., to be able to complete my assisgnments with 6 weeks instead of five, which they denied. I complainted to the Board of Education which was a waste. They agreed with UOP that the program that UOP offers needs to be completed in 5-week increments.

My advice, don't get ill, don't get diagnosed with a castistrophic disability, otherwise you are throwing money down the drain.

• phiit29 Jun 28, 2009

You call Canadians racist, but you are in a league of your own Nonnie.

What did this girl do to you?

Why don't you find something else to besides sitting on your butt making people feel bad all day long.

Go spend some more of your money on disgusting, shallow things.
    [censored].

• Go
    Golf Girl 26 Jun 28, 2009

Everyone,
    I think that you are all totally insane! It sounds to me as if the only reasons that you dislike UOP or Axia College is based upon the fact that you did not pay close attention to what the information that was given to you at the time of your enrollment. If you had just done your research you would have realized that PELL Grants only award so much each year. I myself recieve both PELL grants and I have a loan with Wells Fargo to help me pay for my schooling. I recieved the maximum amount of money allowed by the pell grant and it was only like $4600.00 or some where around there. Obviously a PELL grant is not enough to pay for my entire schooling. Also if you recieve a PELL grant and dont finish the classes or program that the PELL grant payed for you must repay the goverment. There are loop holes for everything. As for UOP and Axia having a bad reputation... every school has had it not so shiny moments... but the reputation of UOP would not be as tarnished as it is today if it werent for idots like most of you on here complaining about things that you should have been mature enough to investigate before you ever started with a school such as this. Now dont get me wrong I am not saying that UOP or Axia is perfect... because they are not believe me I know... I am currently a student there... but I done my homework before signing up... you see I called over 8 of my local colleges and universities and told them that I would be going to Axia College of University of Phoenix for my associates degree... I then asked them if that degree would transfer... and wouldnt you know all 8 places told me the same thing... YES, with the exception of classes such as computer COM, GEN, and other speciality classes that is offered at UOP. I also made sure that I fully understood my finanical obligations before signing up... and I have not had a single problem with the program. My counslers have stayed the same with the exception of my finance counsler which has only been changed once since the start of my program. In this type of school you get what you put into it... if you put nothing... exspect to get nothing!!!

armywife65 Jun 27, 2009

Ya know, this is really sad, we ALL are ### and arguing to each other, when we are suppose be giving support to each other, giving information, about a product or service.

Yet, WE, keep feeding the sight, making it a ### site, instead of a complaints board of products and services.

I'm done with this. I don't have time to spend ### with everyone. This site makes people mean and ###.

Have fun ya'll

• Sx
    SxyBtch Jun 27, 2009

NonnieMouse or whatever you call yourself - I had your pathetic husband last night and he called you a fat, worthless, ugly hag!

Oh, by the way - I'm only here on this site to check into a fraudulent company and saw this posting which lead to YOU! Hmm... I've wasted 5 minutes of my life reading your trailer nonsense! GET A LIFE YOU STUPID TRAILER COHABITANT! I CAN'T BELIEVE I EVEN KEPT READING YOUR RANTS TO SOMEONE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!!!

TO THE PERSON WHO STARTED THIS WITH A MERE QUESTION - HOLLY - I THINK IT WAS, YOU SPENT WAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIME FEEDING INTO THIS CRAP FROM LOSERS LIKE THIS!!!

armywife65 Jun 26, 2009

@justme--she has been calling and calling and no one will help her. She talked to the attorney and he gave her advise, so she's doing what he told her. She has asked them to explain to her, if she has FAFSA Grant of like 13k (from what they are showing) and the schooling for 2yrs was 15k, then why is she owing all this money. It just doesn't add up.
    I will post later.
    Everyone says UOP is Appollo, they say it's Axia, go figure!
    Thanks for the info.

• Ju
    ~justme~ Jun 26, 2009

armywife65 -

Knowledge is power - UOP is actually Apollo Group http://www.apollogrp.edu/

Give them a call, tell them whats going on. I always find it best to skip the people at the bottom of the food chain and head straight to the top!

Another interesting fact is in their annual report and exactly how much they earned last year!

They held my diploma for $166.00 bucks! Apparently they never took the Ethics class they provide in how to properly run a company!

Good luck

armywife65 Jun 25, 2009

@justme--lol..I can totally see that. I am looking into what they say my daughter owes and with her having FAFSA, they are still saying she owes like 15k. Ain't so way. They are freakin liars and they really cover their ### well don't they?

• Ju
    ~justme~ Jun 25, 2009

Interesting - the policy of UOP is not to miss classes and to attend 5 out of the 7 days. When I took a advance algebra class and the professor skipped out on 90% of the class, coming up with all sorts of excuses as to why he could not show up. I wrote a letter informing them if I do not have any excuses as that the professor should be held accountable as well. To make a long story short, the class was given the opportunity to retake the class for free or live with the grade we received. YET being the whistleblower somehow put me on the darkside as UOP to this day refuses to give me my diploma for some bogus money they seem to think I owe - oddly enough the exact amount of the advanced algebra class.

HollyC Jun 24, 2009

NonnieMouse- Honestly, what is your point? Have you ever made one? Name calling seems to be your game and in my last post I apologized for sinking to your level.
    Rest assured, I will not be crying in a corner due to your difference in opinion. The fact that you claim to be so educated makes me LAUGH... NOT CRY!!
    Obviously you're not good at vacuuming either, according to you... What are you good at? You can't tell me your husband doesn’t drink because I would bet that he couldn't put up with your ### if he didn't. Let me ask you a question... It doesn’t matter how old I was when I had my children... "I" made, and continue to "Make" enough money to support them by myself. Can you say the same?
    I bet you got your degree in "How to find a rich husband so I don't have to do anything for the rest of my life” How much did that cost you? I guess it’s working, but what happens if you actually have to support yourself one day? Could you do it? Maybe you can make a living at directing immature comments to real life events; you seem to feel that you are an expert at it.
    You should focus your time on giving back to those less fortunate than yourself since you seem to have it all…There are so many people in need of assistance due to the current economic situation. Hopefully you don’t find yourself there … better people than you have had to face difficult circumstances these days!!! Have you watched the news? People with “real degrees, ” according to your standards, are homeless. How sad is that? Good thing you have a rich husband huh?
    How many lonely wives club meetings do you attend a week? At least I can say that my life is fulfilled... I work, I attend school (whether you want to call it that or not) and I spend time with my family. What the hell do you do? Botox conventions? Make sure you check your source; I heard that those Botox parties can really screw up your face…

• Su
    SuperVepr Jun 24, 2009

I got an MBA from there (did it for fun and my company paid for it). I found that you can learn next to nothing and still pass with flying colors. My sister also got an MBA there and was not happy with it. She just went ahead and got a real MBA from Vanderbilt. I will never use the degree so I haven't done it over. My advice is to go to a real school.

armywife65 Jun 20, 2009

@NonnieMouse--Thanks for the tip on possibly not having to pay back the Stafford Loan. It's a long story, which I have wrote and told many times.
    I will look in to that for sure

Jason- The truth being?

HollyC Jun 19, 2009

Narinaka420- Thanks for the advice. And I completely agree! This site, as well as many of the people posting comments, is laughable at best. It seems that the only thing people want to discuss on this site is whether you are a ### or not...

• Na
    narinaka420 Jun 19, 2009

You need to get a life too NoThanks, you are another one jumping on complaints with your asinine commentary. Is this like a little internet gang or clique? Whats the hive-minds' consensus, do you not like serious reports ruining your fun? You appear to be even more like a troll based on the complaints you make here. I can see why you aren't on ROR after all - from what I remembered the only ones getting flamed there are the trolls. Goodbye ###

Rip Off Retreat Repeat ###

• Na
    narinaka420 Jun 19, 2009

Well, not a surprise at all - browsing some random complaints and there's NonnieMouse being a ### again. She has such a wonderful life but she spends so much time on here posting a nasty reply to any complaint posted. Whats your hitch, ###? You did the same thing with mine. I would be willing to bet she's really some basement-dwelling teen who comes here making up her little online persona, typing up her trash talk and ### stories trying to sound better than she really is. Anyone with that great of a life wouldn't sit around trolling an internet forum all day. I'm leaving this site because it's nothing but a troll magnet and little kids chatroom. Just about every legitimate complaint here ends with the original poster being flamed. I wish I would have read some of the comments before I posted my complaint and I might have known better!
    HollyC, I would take this complaint to [redacted].com where you have the chance of being taken seriously.. they are much more reputable than this joke of a website.

HollyC Jun 19, 2009

You are so full of ###!!! Both of my kids have the same father ###!
    And for you information I am an accounting major. I understand that some loans are forgiven you idiot... MINE, however, ARE NOT!! What part of that did you not understand?
    I guess all of those years of being a stay at home mom/wife/nosy/smug individual have warped your brain... You completely wasted the scholarship money given to you.
    And yes, I had my children when I was young. I didn't go from high school to college. I went from high school to work... if you think that I am stupid or any less of a person because I did what I had to do to take care of my children, than I guess you are more of a ### than I thought!
    I do not have to explain myself to you or anyone else and quite frankly I have lowered myself far enough my fighting back and forth with you.
    To be honest with you, I think you have made everyone on this site a little less intelligent just from reading your posts.
    Why don't you go and vacuum for your "wonderful man"... Or maybe you can have his drink and dinner ready for him when he gets home. That's all your good for!!

HollyC Jun 19, 2009

NonnieMouse-- Not that it is any of your business (again) but I take classes online because I am a single mother and I work full time. I guess not everyone is as fortunate as you...It seems all you do is sit around waiting to comment on someone’s post.
    And as to your STUPID question "If you don't qualify for financial aid, why are you working?" Are you suggesting that I should quit my job and live off of government (taxpayers) money? That would be nice, wouldn't it? Is that what you do?
    I prefer to pay my own way!!! Why don't you take my advice and get a job so I don't have to pay YOUR WAY!!!

HollyC Jun 19, 2009

NonnieMouse-- Let me ask you... What is the difference between taking out a loan to pay for your car and taking out loans to pay for your education? I see no difference AT ALL.
    And for the record ALL Universities suggest you apply for financial aid "GRANTS" etc. Of which "I" Did not qualify for because "I" make too much money... not my parents. I am a single mother raising 2 boys and I make a good living. However, I didn’t feel the need to share that with people on this site because quite frankly it’s none of your business!!!
    So YOU read carefully... You are a smug and nosy person. You must make a living out of butting into others affairs. I'm sure you are one of those people that have to control everyone around you, aren't you?? Why don't you move you attention on to someone you can actually help instead of throwing around self-righteous comments that benefit no one but yourself.

HollyC Jun 19, 2009

RipperOffs- I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I started this thread because I was having problems with UOP as well as many others apparently. Why don't you get your panties out of a bunch and take a deep breath. I'm not trying to tell you how to work the system.
    The only thing I was commenting on is how the UOP's staff had no clue as to how to work their own system.

And by the way, you should read over your OWN post, because I think that if you did you would agree that it is not me who sounds ###ed, it would be you...

HollyC Jun 19, 2009

NonnieMouse- I would appreciate you not speaking to me like I'm some idiot. I have student loans --- I DO NOT have financial aid. Apparently I do not qualify… What I meant by my expense is that the money for the course had already been paid by my loan.
    I am completely aware of what an "I" means. Do you attend Axia College?? I would assume that an "I" would be incomplete too, but that is not the case at Axia. An incomplete course at Axia is a "W" (makes no sense to me but whatever)
    In the end they worked with me and I was able to complete my final. For that I am grateful. Again, I never asked for a handout! I only asked for help trying to fix something that was out of my control.

Ripper offs Jun 19, 2009

Nonnie how ignorant can you be... DO you even know or have ytou ever taken a course at Axia Online??????? Have you????? So how can someone so stupid like you be giving opinions if you don't even understand what is going on. Please attend Axia Online so that ur butt can also get ripped off. But that would probably won't happen too you since we already explain our problem. Do us a favor and if you are not joining, than go do what you do best. Wasteing your time in your computer trying to debate about what Britney Spears is wearing.

Ripper offs Jun 19, 2009

Hey Holly, How ### can you be. Maybe if you had a little more sence ytou will not be as ignorant as you are. Maybe you should stuff the sausage somewhere else. Apparently you are so full of it because if you have some sense you will know that I was a victim. So, don't try to tell us how the system work because we've been doing Axia first than you. I noticed that you are dumb because you cannot spell for anything. Axia is not helping you in being successful at all.

HollyC Jun 18, 2009

Rip Off, Are you insane??? Axia College is like any other community college. Once you receive your undergraduate degree, you move on to the University of Phoenix. And don't think for a second that YOU or ANYONE ELSE is paying for my degree. I have never nor will I ever ask for assistance, I work for every dime I make and always have. However, you seem to be very knowledgeable in the field of not paying your way... why don't you explain the process so that others might be so fortunate.
    Rip Off- Why don't you put your sausage where your mouth is because the only thing you are spewing is bull!!! You should take some courses at AXIA, maybe then you would learn to be a little more professional.

Rip Off Jun 18, 2009

whatever you say thief. Don't choke trying to swallow your sausage. I know you are one of them sitting in your butt getting our money. If you call Axia Online "College" than you are so full of it because the name is not University of Phoenix. Maybe if you get some knowledge then you will not be a ### trying to explain hundreds of students why they have problems with Axia Online. You should get a job with them in ripping students off. Let it be heard, first amendment the right for freedom of speech. Don't try to silence us, Liars Liars you won't shut us that easily.

HollyC Jun 10, 2009

nikwy--
    IF you read my post you would see that I requested a leave of absence and because I was at the end of the course I was told there was nothing they could do. Moreover, I had no idea that I was going to be admitted to the hospital, had I known I would have planned for it.
    Given the fact that you received your degree I'm sure you that you understand how important it is to read the material before posting a comment.
    I have plenty of common sense. In fact, I have educated myself so much on the policies of UOP that I resolved my own problem when my counselor could not.

So again, I thank you for your concern but really you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

• Ni
    nikwy Jun 09, 2009

This is a University with over 300, 000 students, pretty astounding! I recieved my undergraduate with University of Phoenix and it is a great school with proper regional accreidation. As with any accredited four year University you have to take out a Leave of Abscence if you are ill. Just like you would do with your job! Wow- amazing right? Nope just common sense. This institution would not recieve the proper Department of Education accreditation and federal funding if it were a "rip-off" Unfortunately, people cannot accept responsibility for their lack of responsibility!