University of Phoenixgrant disburstment issues

S

Started this college on Jan 24 2o11 with the hopes and expectations i was doing something positive for myself in going back to school and re educate myself in another profession and career and the degree that was for my own achievement and satisfaction. After many years of starts and stops and promises i made the choice and went with phoenix college and the nightmare i encountered has got me in a mess i never thought i would ever be in. Story starts like this, started school in Jan it took the school over 90 days in process to send my grant disbursement but the grant check never touch my mail box, as time goes on i find out my check was sent to some unknown address and was cashed a classic case of mail fraud and identity fraud and check forgery, now as the college tracks down the check that was forged i had to prove i wasn't involved with there process, police report notifying the postal inspector you name it, now as this goes on for more protection for my self and identity i contact outer agencies like the national check fraud center and others as this goes on for further investigation, now i am going to school on zero income and phoenix polices are a complete mess, its bad enough to be in this mess but the colleges position of what there telling me is they have 120 days which puts my time frame almost a whole semester through school specially after they got there money first and from the lender that puts my credibility on the spot. Being in good faith and respect for education i pass off the leave of absence and continue school yet trying to not think about it yet each week goes by like, hey we got your money you wait when we feel like paying you ! the counselors, financial aid and the whole process is telling me what i don't want to hear until i say lawsuit or IL be seeing you in person, so as my tolerance and patients wear thin i am coming up to my second disbursement and half way through the semester. I feel like i was used even when it wasnt there fault with processing my funds for school and the process got from the college just shows there stance on my worth as a student with processing a turn around check as another disbursements comes again in other words they owe me big time. So i wait a few more weeks with academic affairs compliant and the inspector general of education filing and the state board of Arizona of education board compliant process and all they have to do is send me another check. What a mess, but as i research in depth about this college which has several lawsuits and a class action against them i am starting to wonder how can these college mills stay open!

Student Dwayne Jul 22, 2011

Well its time to move forward and i feel It's time for me to move on to a better college, the issues and problems i have to endure with this school is enough and i feel i am going to go through hell getting my credits transferred as this process unfolds, anyway i had it with one week left, This school is something else the mounting complaints and policies this school has in place is way to much for any student to bare and the many who make it through are probably completely wore out, as for office of dispute management i guess if your on the cusp of withdrawing the school is preparing for we charge you mode even tho you already in the hole on the hook with your loan in other words it gets worse as you leave. But il say this having a state degree these days means a lot than a private piece a paper specially in today's world and as for this college beware, beware, beware.

• Mi
    MikeHouston Jul 21, 2011

Office of dispute management whatever is really rather worthless. In fact, they've been too busy, as of late, monitoring and censoring students from the school's new PhoenixConnect forum. The forum which they say is "private" and therefore can be censored; including banning paying students altogether, has been the consumer of a lot of time from people like Libby Bailey. You'll get an email full of arbitrary and ambiguous information and she will shut you down as if her answer is final, but what she forgets is that without our tuition money, there is no phoenixconnect, and there is no office of dispute management. Don't trust Ms. Bailey's gesture of help any further than you could throw a cow because I'm telling you--you won't get anywhere with her.

Student Dwayne Jul 17, 2011

Well I guess it just gets worse and worse trying to complete and go to Phoenix University. With many issues with day one starting the college I thought my problems were solved yet I get a east coast teacher who thinks she is god who is setting picks as I try to finish out my remaining weeks in her class, full of exhaustion and burnt out with going to this college 7 days a week nonstop through holidays. I had enough was thinking about transferring yet I am caught in a 7 month nightmare. As I continue with what help is available with office of dispute and a teacher I feel is biased to me I am left with a bitter taste to find what I deserve as a student with this college and I was still holding them in high regard as I am told I have no rights to transfer without being on the hook with what I believe are funds to pay the school back with 2 weeks left in a class I had no desire to have. I assume this will get nasty and I can see myself fighting what I feel is right as a student again for some dignity in what I feel is right for myself and I will say the stories are true and the complaints are real.

Student Dwayne May 24, 2011

Well finally got resolution in getting my grant disbursement settled, yet I am swamped with so much undergraduate study to the point to where I am almost completely burnt out. I am wondering will I see my original classes I sighed up for which I don’t see in sight and the cost and fees went up which puts my advantage a few bucks up than I expected. With going to this school everything is a surprise, not faulting the classes, but I am taking in account of all of my options in looking for a more better system with more accreditation toward my career specially after what I been through and I am bracing myself for whatever changes this school has next and that way out might be just around the corner.

believe-in-yourself May 04, 2011

Best of luck, as you see there is a way out, so just look around. I again recommend Excelsior College because they are one of the few schools that should accept all your old credit from University of Phoenix. Nevertheless, you did find some good state schools, including Oregon, so look at your time frame and how much more of school you want to do, because the college may not accept all your old credit. But I know Excelsior College will (cannot comment about acceptability of Phoenix credit at the other schools we discussed - Fort Hays State University, Arizona State University, Oregon State University, American Military/Public University)

Student Dwayne May 03, 2011

yes the process is playing its self out as i keep hearing one excuse after another yet the school has put me and themselves in a hole i am researching other schools and i am finding out that some of the schools credits are not even enough to be accredited for some of the type of degrees many are seeking and many occupations with in today's environment or not supporting college academic education below the bachelors and masters degree credits. But i am a true blue Oregon resident that should of took the high road in taking a look and what in the state than going with a private college mill in phoenix which by the way was sued thanks again for the information and i am hanging in there.

believe-in-yourself May 03, 2011

Student Dwayne, check out Fort Hays State University's Virtual College also. It accepts 90 transfer credits, I do not know whether they will accept Phoenix credits or not. But they have a 90% acceptance rate and some interesting programs - you may find something that suits you (the General studies degree might be useful for almost anyone who has a lot of credit and wants to graduate quickly). Arizona State University's online campus has a 90% acceptance rate too. Charter Oak State College is there too, they will accept you since you already have completed some college credit (they accept everyone with a high school diploma or GED who has completed at least 9 semester hours. They are quite like Excelsior except that Charter Oak State's degrees are in general studies with specialized concentrations rather than majors). Charter Oak State College accepts all regionally accredited college credit, even for profit credit from places like Phoenix. If you want the word "state" in your diploma, these three and Oregon State University hold the possibility of relief. Please hold on.

Yes Phoenix should strive to be more honest. In the end, being dishonest will only defeat them.

Student Dwayne May 02, 2011

Update: Well as the process unfolds in getting some conclusion to having my grant after 5 months and still waiting to almost a half of year, on a personal note i am just wore out and frustrated yet my studies are my escape with the belief In the educational system something i still have a high regard for, i feel let down and completely embarrassed of my own choice of selecting this school. However, any other student would of lost their mind and completely self destruct into a default fall and i still think there is a need to be something in place to protect the students creditability from the ever changing student polices with in some of these colleges that they have that suppose to protect the students. I have everything in place in defending myself and assuring a successful outcome as i hope this college can complete some conclusion to this nightmare of not having my grant funds and going through this college with out of pocket expense and not receiving my grants. Beware!

Student Dwayne May 02, 2011

I like to say thank you for that information it was very informative in knowing those choices and yes i got my eyes on Oregon state university and i would be looking into there programs and courses to see if i can finish with them or at least continue what i started with in a more accredited college and holding on to some educational creditability at this time as i go through many rounds of this nightmare mess i am having with phoenix university.

believe-in-yourself May 02, 2011

You don't have to pay huge amounts of money for an online degree. You don't need to take out massive loans for an online degree. See American Military/Public University - you can complete an entire Bachelors or Associates degree with them, for $250 per semester credit, with book costs included in the tuition. They also accept everybody with a GED or high school diploma, in fact that is all they require for admission (not even an interview). So why would you even bother with places like University of Phoenix in the first place?

Also, you can consider doing CLEP, DSST and Excelsior examinations - 3 semester exam credits through these sources can be cheaper even than community college courses. Many online and on-campus programs accept credit from these sources, the most liberal being Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College and Thomas Edison State College. Charter Oak State College and Excelsior College admit anyone with a GED or high school diploma again. You could do 117 credits through exam and get a degree from Excelsior College, just taking 3 hours with them as an online capstone course (Charter Oak State College needs 6 credit hours to be done online with them). You can also transfer in regionally accredited courses from anywhere else to Excelsior College or Charter Oak State College (and I do mean from anywhere else, they accept even for-profit college credit). You could take extension certificate classes from places like Berkeley Extension or UCLA extension at a very low cost (all you need is a credit card to take classes at these non-degree granting extension programs), online community college classes (though almost all community colleges will accept you for their 2-year programs with just a GED or high school diploma, at most of them you don't need to do anything except pay for an online course you want to take with them as a non-degree seeking student). You can do credit from all these places (credit by examination, community college courses, online or distance courses at non-degree granting programs offered by state universities), and transfer all the credit to Excelsior College and Charter Oak State College if you wanted to (just needing to take 3 hours online with Excelsior, and 6 hours online with Charter Oak State College). You could end up saving unimaginable amounts of money, the cheapest ways to get credit being in increasing order - credit by examination, community college online courses, online courses through non-degree granting extension certificate programs offered by 4-year universities (See Brigham Young, Berkeley Extension, Louisiana State University's distance courses, UCLA extension among many many others), and online courses at American Military/Public University. Everything I mentioned has no entrance barriers, anyone can sign up for a CLEP, Excelsior or DSST exam (note you do not need to be an enrolled Excelsior student to register for an Excelsior exam), anyone can sign up at classes for the extension programs I mentioned with no GPA screening whatsoever and no pre-requisite screening or admissions process - just be ready to pay a relatively very low amount of money, and while you cannot take online courses at American Military/Public University as a non-degree seeking student, admission just needs a GED or high school diploma and you can always transfer out of there later.

Please note that I have never been to University of Phoenix, and I hope my points above will convince anyone that there are better options that can save lots of money and time, be online, and not be a hassle (oh yes, and where you are guaranteed admission and transfer credit).

Also, please note you can get many types of professional (including business and computer technology) degrees through the routes I suggested, as well as many types of liberal arts degrees (particularly in the areas of humanities and social sciences). I know certifications can also help you quickly get a computer technology degree from Excelsior College or Charter Oak State College (all universities mentioned here are regionally accredited).

Oh yeah, you can go ahead and transfer your regionally accredited semester hours from the University of Phoenix to Excelsior College right away. Because they accept all regionally accredited credit, even for-profit credit done online. The most flexible degree for most people at Excelsior College, would be Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies (no major) with areas of focus in or depths in, whatever you have a significant amount of college credit of (if you have completed at least 21 credits in one subject, you can get an area of focus in that, and that will be mentioned on your Excelsior transcript. Depths consist of 12 credits and are not demarcated on your transcript, however you need at least two depths, one in the liberal arts, to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies (no major) from Excelsior). However, check and see if Excelsior offers a major in the area you are pursuing at Phoenix, you may already be done with all major requirements for the Excelsior major, and be able to get a major from Excelsior with no additional coursework in the subject. Or maybe you can finish the additional coursework required for a major through online classes at Excelsior College and/or Charter Oak State College (you do not need to be formally admitted to any of these two colleges to take online classes with them), the really cheap extension certificate programs mentioned above (like Brigham Young, Louisiana State University, etc), or credit by examination, or through a physical or online campus that admits you as a non-degree student (state universities will have cheaper rates than private universities for classes taken by non-degree students; many of these universities may not have formal extension programs granting certificates per se but will still let you take classes as a non-degree seeking student. There are many state universities that will accept anyone as a non-degree student - see Oregon State University extended campus, they are very cheap and have courses online).

Or simply finish your degree at American Military/Public University if they offer coursework in your major and transfer in all your credit (don't know so much about their transfer policies, except that they can take maximum of 90 credits out of 120 semester credits towards a Bachelors degree from other sources).

Student Dwayne Apr 29, 2011

Well here is almost 5 months into school as my second disbursement date comes and the schools polices has put me in a complete financial nightmare. I prepare with many options in mind yet i feel a total let down with only small words from the school we doing all we can without any verification of the process at getting me my first disbursement to me. As a new month approaches my moral and confidence is coming down to defending my rights as a student and my credibility as a person at which i thought having a education was the belief of having achieve something for myself in my professional career and my personal occupation. Makes you wonder about the integrity about the school when there polices are set up to put you the student in a complete financial nightmare. (In a personal way i feel like i was completely used) Now i must prepare for another process in protecting my credibility as i am finding out as students rights are nothing, yet what we have in place that is suppose to protect us i hope works what a complete mess!!!

Student Dwayne Apr 25, 2011

Well i gave a call to the office of dispute just like i figured il have to fill out a grievance form which has its own process that feel can push things even further out there, personally i think each department is not in sync i dropped the financial name of Jason Lacey and receptionist could identify him and this Sr relations administrator lets see what happens next.

Student Dwayne Apr 25, 2011

Well thank you but as this process plays out i am trying to give some room for myself and the college than to just give up.
    But i would say this, the students need some kind of protection that can protect them and the actions from due process of all these colleges with rules and regulations on how things are done specially when there credibility is at stake in the beginning. For me i am trying to give the process due of time even as a continued student and i been through the system before many years ago had problems with in the system. but il give consideration to Sr, student relations administrator Libby bailey, at the Office of dispute management and see what can be done.

• Uo
    UofPhoenix Apr 25, 2011

Hi Dwayne,

I'm sorry about the experience you had. Please understand that the University takes identity theft very seriously. If you would like assistance, please contact the Office of Dispute Management at [email protected] or [protected].

~ Libby Bailey, Sr. Student Relations Administrator