Menu
Toyota
reviews & complaints

Toyota
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

1103 complaints
292 resolved 811 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Toyota. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
C
12:21 am
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Toyota - misalignment of digit on engine cylibder block

Date : 21/07/2010

UMW Toyota Motor S/B
2 Persiaran Raja Muda,
Seksyen 15,
40200 Shah Alam, Selangor.
Tel : 603-51236688
Fax : 603-55120844
Attn : Mr Peter R Rayappan (Regional Manager, Pen Malaysia Operation)

Dear Sir,
I refer to the above matter and your letter dated 15/07/2010.

I write this letter so that i may express my deep dissatisfaction with the paltry offer of "a special package...and a reasonable trade in price" for my car stated in your letter above.

This offer comes after your admission that the misalignment of the digit on my engine block was entirely caused by the actions of your company. Further compounding my dissatisfaction is the fact that the corrective actions had been taken in order to fix an engine failure in the first place. I hope you can see that your attempt at resolving the issue with my engine resulted merely in the substituting of one problem with another.

I take note that you have expressed on behalf of your company how "deeply sorry" you are for the "considerable amount of inconvenience" that has been caused to me. However i have also taken note that you have proposed no other offer of compensation for the inconvenience and losses i have suffered as the result of the admitted actions of your company other than the above mentioned paltry offer. In particular i have suffered the following :

- a reduction in the amount of money that i could have sold the vehicle for ;
- the great inconvenience due to the loss of use the vehicle for the period in between the period when the insurance of the
vehicle was still valid ;
- the payment for the renewal of the insurance which became necessary only because the vehicle could not be sold at the
time due to the misalignment of the digit on the vehicle engine ;
- charges imposed by Puspakom for the inspections required ; and other losses yet unknown.

I sincerely feel that you need to offer a more equitable package to me in order to compensate me for the losses i have sustained. I counter offer a package that i feel will adequately compensate me for the losses i have sustained. My proposal is as follows :

- that UMW Toyota Motor Sdn Bhd. ("UMW") compensate to me an amount equal to the different in value that could have
been obtained for the vehicle but for the misalignment of the digit and the eventual selling price. Due to the reason of
this, buyer had canceled the order which the price he offered to me is Rm73k, and your company refused to buy in this
vehicle, i forced to sell it immediately to other car dealer with the lower price to get cash, the price they offer me for
buy in only is Rm64k. The variance is Rm9000 between the car dealer buy in price while my last buyer is offered me
Rm73k.
- reimbursement of the charges incurred as a result of your admitted error, including but not limited to, the NCD insurance
recovering premium Rm1011 after i found that my inspection is failed, Puspakom inspection charges Rm150 and petrol
fees Rm100 during this period that i had to paid.
- an undertaking from UMW that UMW will further compensate me for any further losses due to a depreciation in the value
of the vehicle should the vehicle again fail to be transferred to a purchaser due to any error attributable to UMW and/or
its agents.

Rest assured that should our discussions fail to result in a mutually satisfactory conclusion, i will consider proceeding to legal action to pursue my claims against UMW.

I also take this opportunity to put in writing my objection to your imposition of an arbitrary period of "seven (7) working days" from the date of your letter. Providing me a mere 7 days to consider your offer, after considering the amount of inconvenience your company's action have cause me, is adding insult to injury.

I look forward to your reply.

From vehicle owner,
Lee Chee Boo
JHN 6266

U
7:18 am

Toyota - I was lied to, wasted my time and money, and the management would not even come out to speak with me

I am in the market to purchase a new car and was considering a lease. I went on the Toyota website to get information and I received a phone call from Katie Harwell from their sales department. I explained to her that I need a HIGH mileage lease on a Camry, (about 30k miles per year), and that I was upside down on my current vehicle due to high mileage. I live more than one hour away from this dealership so I told her that I was not going to make the drive unless she could assure me that it was not a waist of time. She responded with “It’s the last day of the month and I ASSURE YOU we can take care of this. So I dropped my plans for the day and drove the 70+ miles to the dealership. Once I was there I test drove a couple of the new cars and decided on one of them. I gave them all my information and waited for them to come back to tell me what the lease payments would be. Then I was informed that the only way I could do the lease was to come up with over $8000 CASH! When I was told this, I asked to see the General Manager Vince. Just as I thought he refused to come and speak with me. I was then told by my sales rep that what she did to me was very common and they are instructed to do that by the management at Roberts Toyota. They will say and do anything to get you in the door. This is very poor customer service, I was lied to, waited my time and money, and the management would not even come out to speak with me. I am going to tell EVERYONE I know not to buy from them.

7:17 am

Toyota - I am disappointed with randy richman's behavior and his disregard for customer service

On October 25, 2006 I placed a good faith deposit on a 2007 FJ Cruiser with Ernie Palmer Toyota in Jacksonville, FL. I was told this deposit would be refundable if I did not purchase the vehicle in question and was needed only to re-route the vehicle from the sea port to the Jacksonville dealer.

After the deposit was placed, I continued to seek quotes from other local Toyota dealerships. When I spoke to Randy Richman, general sales manager for Ernie Palmer Toyota, regarding my best quote, he was very unprofessional. He was rude to my wife in a phone conversation and proceeded to yell at me over the phone. His behavior was dishonorable and unbecoming of a manager. As a result, my wife and I made the decision to go elsewhere.

We then purchased the same model (2007 FJ Cruiser) from David Mauss Toyota in Sanford, FL. We were treated with respect the entire time and have nothing but praise for their professionalism.

I am disappointed with Randy Richman’s behavior and his disregard for customer service. He has refused to refund my $500 deposit, disputing the fact he said it was originally refundable. Randy Richman and Ernie Palmer Toyota are a poor reflection of Toyota’s commitment to quality customer service. I am asking you to please refund my $500 deposit.

Aug 02, 2012 6:17 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

This is the most unprofessional service department that I have ever experienced at a Toyota dealership. They refuse to honor Toyota factory warranty. They need new management in their service department. Go to the other Toyota dealerships in the area for service to avoid the hassle and inappropriate business conduct. Toyota is a good product so take your business to another dealership.

F
Nov 03, 2010 8:25 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

While working for Ernie Palmer Toyota as General Sales Manager we agreed to get a limited production vehicle for "Americano" after receiving a $500.00 deposit. There was never any conversation about the deposit being refundable unless the vehicle he asked us to get him came in damaged or not as described...we would have never asked him to settle for less than he ordered. What would be the purpose of requiring a deposit in the first place. We went out of our way to get a vehicle that we didn't want to stock only to gain the sale and accommodate the customer. After securing the vehicle and receiving it, "Americano" said he found a better deal elsewhere. We had a signed buyers order and a deposit which further attests to the deal that HE agreed to. What kind of character does that exhibit? I don't even remember his real name but he seems to be throwing mine and Ernie Palmer Toyota's name around pretty good. It is so unfortunate that he feels the need to voice his opinion like this. I do believe that he received his deposit back after all. We weren't there to keep his money, just be a man of his word. This end result is the reason that most auto dealers can't do deals the old fashioned way anymore, a simple handshake.

7:17 am

Toyota - I am appalled at the toyota commercials that are aired on television

I am appalled at the toyota commercials that are aired on television The commercials all belittle children. One is regarding his son sitting on his driving the truck than says to the boy isn"t that the girl you like oh look she has a camera phone but yet the reportors critized Brittany Spears for doing the same thing to get away from the paparaze this is a double standard as far as I am concerned. There is also another where he is belittleing his daughter regarding her drawing. Also his wife by scattering snacks all over her new car.

Because of these commercials I would not buy any Toyota product or even have one given to me free I would sell it before I put it in my driveway.

Nov 12, 2010 5:40 pm

I spent $15k on a 2009 Scion tC and the paint is chipping like I've taken it off-road! I'm really pissed that I spent this much money and the car doesn't have a decent paint job! The car is fun to drive and I'm happy with the way it performs. The paint job is cheap and needs to be done over!I'm going to call corporate and let em'have it! This is not acceptable and with all the money I paid, you would think they could have done a better job painting the car!

M
Jun 03, 2016 8:24 am

April 4, 2010, With my wife driving our 2006 Toyota Corolla, while parking her car in a parking lot in front of a Sub Shop, about 5 ft. from the curb with her foot on the brake, the accelerator suddenly went to full throttle. The car lunged ahead hitting a concrete 2 x 2 ft. post. With both feet on the brake pedal the wheels continued to spin and did so until the key was turned off.

The Police were called, a report made, no summons issued. Car was then flat-bedded to repair shop. Car was a total loss. Dealer from whom we purchased the car from in 2006 gave us the phone # at Toyota in California. They impounded the car checked it out and said they could not find any issues. The car had 70, 000 mi. at time and never had the slightest problem, was well maintained and in excellent condition.

I contacted our Lawyer, only to be told that because there was no personal injury, it would be difficult to win the case. This was my wifes car, she drives over 50 mi. round trip to work 5 days a week. In almost 40 years of driving, she has never had an accident.

G
7:35 am

Toyota - avoid keith pierson toyota at all costs

I went in to the Toyota dealership and brought a 2003 MR2 Spyder, purchase price were around 26, 244. and because I owned around 22, 000 on my Aztec and they were only going to pay me around 12, 000 on my Aztec to keep me from being upside down in my 2003 Spyder It would cost me 11, 000 dollars and I paid 7, 000 with a check and 4, 000 with a credit card. Went to trade it in just recently and owned around 24, 000. What did Toyota do with my money it was not applied to the deal even though the contract show it. I am still heart broken about this because I took part of the money from a Thrift account which I still paiding and the other from my credit card which I am still paying (I am a widower). I fill out a complaint at Keith Pierson Toyota and were told Mr Pierson would call me today well no call.

4:10 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Two years ago I went to determine the cause for check engine light coming on. They give me the reason and charged me $100. I followed thru by going to Oak Brook Toyota dealers and they give me a different reason and once again I paid for the diag and got the issue resolved since most of the work was covered under warranty. Then I go back to Elmhurst...

7:20 am

Toyota - during the service mechanic broke a part and dealership refuses to fix it at their cost

Truck into the dealership for steering "recall" part. During this service, the mechanic broke a part, (steering gear box), and the dealership resuses to fix it at their cost. I had to get a part and have an indipendent shop fix it. That shop showed me what the dealership had done to break this part.

K
6:44 am

Toyota - avoid jon lancaster toyota at all costs

On October 15, 2005 we had our prius serviced at Jon Lancaster Toyota like we have since buying the car in 2001 The first part November The check engine lite came on, we took the car into lancasters service department. Well the service manger came after us to show us the Air, and air condisioner filters where plugged and gritty Marked off on service check off on the prior service as good, they also rotated the tires and one showed the tread seperating from casing also checked as ok with the tire rotation.then less than an a month before.

D
12:17 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Techs were unable to find problem. Complained of clunking noises. Asked for complete safety check on first visit. Nothing wrong. Came back 2 months later with same problem. Nothing found. Later on the highway, upon accelerating heard huge clunk. Next day discovered coolant leak. Took to nearest dealer, not Wilde. They found engine mount had lost the bolt...

K
8:35 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

K RAJAMOHAN A/L KUPPUSAMY TEL:O12-4696159 05.07.2010 CUSTOMER COMPLAINT ON TOYOTA VIOS (J)AUTO-PJR 5365 1 PURCHASED FROM DEALER FADASON SDN BHD, BANDAR PERDA, BUKIT MERTAJAM, S.P.U REGISTRATION DATE:02.06.2010 1.1 BRAKE LIGHTS-SOMETIMES MY BACK BRAKES LIGHTS WILL BE 'ON' AFTER I STOP ENGINE AND PARK MY CAR. I...

1:02 pm

Toyota - racist and rude managerc

We were quite satisfied with our dealing and just about to sign the financing papers when we encountered that there had been a huge misunderstanding. We wanted to speak directly to the representative that helped us and while trying to locate her, we had to deal with a sales manager. He was FAR from nice. To begin with, right off the bat, he was very rude. He then continued to make smart remarks and insult us. We would have bought the car we were looking at regardless of the misunderstanding but thanks to his attitude, we left. This would have been our 4th toyota purchase, but after this, I dont think I want to ever deal with them again.

Jul 09, 2010 8:55 pm

yeah... read your own remarks ###

Jul 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Laurey dont listen to kevin richards.. he is some kid who hasnt had his diaper changed lately. Good for you for standing up for customer service... Im sure they will be calling you when they realize the sale was lost and you dont go back!

5:29 am

Toyota - bad service

I took my car for a service at the above mentioned dealership (Corolla professional 1.4) on the 2nd June 2010
& I specificaly requested that they check the break pads for me.
When i picked my car up the same afternoon i was told the is nothung wrong with my break pads.

On the 22 June, whilst driving i head a noice coming from my back wheels i took the car to Toyota again & they did a quick check on it & i was told to bring the car
on the 24th, I took the car inn today & i got a call from Brian, advise that the breaks are finised & they need to be replaced.
I told him that is very unacceptable, so i requested for his DP's number

His name is Thomas, spoke to him on 082 773 7044, he said he is awre they made a mistake, he is prepared to let them replace the brakes, they won't charge me for Labour & i will pay 50% towards the breaks

I find this very unacceptable, i am being inconvinienced for somebody else's mistake.
What gurrantee do i have that the car was even serviced, if they could make an error of this kind.

I want my break pads replaced for FREE

Regards
Mrs Nkosi
076 971 0502

Update by Bongiwe
Jun 24, 2010 5:51 am

I am very upset

R
5:59 am

Toyota - fail of air bag deployment

I was a proud owner of a toyota innova which I recently bought in April 2010. Unfortunately i had met with an accident in which the impact was so bad that my car's chasis were bent and my wife was injured in this accident but the airbag failed to deploy. I had to send the car to UMW Toyota head office Malaysia for investigation for " why my airbag didn't deploy?". My experience with their head office has been the biggest NIGHTMARE of my life. THey don't answer e-mails in time, they don not reply our calls and they do not even give us our investigation report. It took me almost 1 month after putting so much preasure on them to recieve my report. Their so called customer service managers Mr.Edmond Lim and Mr. Ramesh do not give any service at all to their customers. I REGRET owning a TOYOTA.

H
4:20 am

Toyota - exhaust downpipe & silencer

Monday 14 June took vehicle in - exhaust downpipe leaking exhaust fumes into the cabin. Was promised part would be ordered same day and feedback would be given. 7 days later (21 June) still no feedback nor spare. Phoned dealer - ones again i was promised feedback - received none. 21 June complained to Toyota SA - they promised feedback - no feedback received. Service is pathetic. It is dangerous to drive in exhaust fumes.
A company the likes of Toyota should be able to send a simple part like this over night for fitment the next day.
It is now eight days - no feedback, no service. Really poor.

E
1:37 pm

Toyota - charcoal canister failure

We recently took our 2007 Toyota Matrix which has a little over 28, 000 miles in for service because the check engine warming light came on last week. Unfortunately our three year warranty just expired 3 months ago, go figure! We were told the Charcoal Canister Assembly needs to be replaced. Although they did not tell my wife why the canister was contaminated and needed to be replace, he did suggest we can live with it as is and the car would continue to run as normal. Being the man that I am and having a fairly new car, I do not think it a great idea to drive the car as is. However, I am completely disappointed with Toyota because they do not make car like they use to. We have always taken the car to the local Toyota dealer for regular oil-changes, etc. I have drove many older cars prior to inquiring this new car, issues such as this does not typical arise until 100, 000+ miles. Here we are with a 3yrs car with 28k and it is already due for a $450.00 repair just months after it run out of manufacture warranty.

Well, do any of you know what cause this issue with the Charcoal Canister Assemble to get contaminated? Is this an easy fix, can I do it myself? I have a little mechanic skills.

11:30 pm

Toyota - poor service

disk pad replacement 6hrs, you ask for the manager incharge to complain, they will not show up. they will let you wait until you had enough and decide to go home.

M
7:08 am

Toyota - my transmission went out without a warning

I wanted to complained about my 2003 Toyota Rav4.My transmission went out without a warning no check eng. light or burnt transmission fluid nothing now its costing me$4, 8000 to het it replaced for a Toyota i know it was out of the five year 8, 500 mile warnt. but for a car that is builted on relibility thats unheard of.My husbands 86 chevy transmission is still going strong and he is a much worse driver then me but he has told me to buy american i guess he was right. I wanted people to know the problem i am having with truck and hope they get better service then myself.

H
10:44 am

Toyota - scam

At 30K miles the transmission went on the van, Toyota Universe fixed the

problem. Four months later having only a routine oil change. the front

differential leaked oil causing it to seize and damaging the transmission.

Toyota Universe service manager Joe said it was my problem that the differential

leaked not his, and the dealership would not fix the problem.

the Sienna which now has 40K miles had the following issues. 3 sets of brakes, 2

sets of roaters, 3 sets of tires including those run flat tires, which on the

third set I had to put regular 17 inch tires. I would not recommend Toyota

Universe for anything, They will give you nothing buy grief.

3:20 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Lee Chin Aun 7, Jalan SP 8/4, Saujana Puchong Bandar Putra Permai, 43300 Puchong, Selangor Darul Ehsan. May 8, 2010 Customer Service Head Toyota Motor Corporation Dear Sir, RE: GEARBOX MALFUNCTION Refer to the above matter, I bought a new Toyota Innova 2.0G(Manual), registration number WPM 1187 in October 2007. After few months taking delivery of...

C
1:10 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hi All, I would like to make a complaint about poor Toyota service I received in Malaysia, I've sent in my car twice for Toyota service center personnel to check on my internal car clock for keep on slowing down after a couple of days even though I've adjusted it back to the right time many times, the 1st visit I make to one of the Toyota service center...

Toyota contacts