Clay Cooley Auto Group

Clay Cooley Volkswagen of Richardson
300 N Central Expressway Richardson, TX 75080 US

Complaints & Reviews

salesmanship

Allowed me to leave the lot making 2 car payments that they knew I was unable to make. I take responsibility...

service or the lack of it!

On monday, november 25, at approximately 7:45 am, I brought my vehicle to clay cooley nissan for service. I...

overall experience as well

Spoke to internet manager Chris Carter who insisted I come in because he could assist me with a trade. The...

used car(s) purchased at clay cooley chevrolet in irving

I have filed complaints with CarGuru, BBB, and the State Attorney General's office regarding this matter. I took those actions only after trying to work this out with the dealership and getting nowhere.
On 9/14 I worked out a deal with Augustine Gomez to trade in my Mercedes E400 coupe for a Nissan Maxima sedan and $4K. The additional cash was due to the imbalance in value between the two cars. I had an appointment to keep, so I told Augustine that I would be back later that day or when they opened the following morning. The used car manager, Ron, tried to get me to stay and finish the deal, saying he could cut the check immediately and get me on my way. But I had no choice. I had to leave. I was there the next morning at 9:00am. The Maxima was ready for delivery. Augustine and I started the paperwork. I quickly noticed the terms had changed. The $4K difference had disappeared and now I would have money owed to the dealership. I asked to see Ron. He was not there. I was now dealing with Mike, and his opinion was that I had been mistaken. Now the deal was off and I should have left. They offered other vehicles that were of noticeably less value. I repeatedly said no. Then they offered a used Impala. The car had readily visible issues and defects that need repair and attention. I told them, I would make the deal if they would give me a loaner car and repair all of the issues that existed on the Impala. Mike said No. His position was that I had to take the car that day, and I could bring it back sometime in the future for service. I took the car. When I got home, I started inspecting the car more closely and realized there were more problems with the car than we originally discussed. I called Augustine immediately the next business day and said I changed my mind and the Impala was in no condition to be delivered as a used car. He said to bring it in the next morning. I was there at 9:00am. I pointed out all of the problems I had found. I asked everyone to allow me to speak to a General Manager or Clay Cooley. They said No. I again asked for my original car and cancelling the deal. They refused. At that point, they offered a loaner car and they would turn the Impala over to their Service Dept. I didn't want the car. It had too many problems. I asked again to speak with the GM. The Finance Manager came out to speak with me. I went over the entire experience with him again. When I told him that Clay Cooley sold a car that had not been fully serviced, had not been inspected, and had not been detailed, he replied that can't be true. We (Clay Cooley) put every used car through an extensive 171 point inspection before they are allowed on the lot. I said to him, "Not this car". He said I was wrong, and he went to get the inspection sheet evidence. He never returned. There was no paperwork. Mike still would not consider/allow the deal to be cancelled. But, he offered an alternative. There was another Maxima that was not as well equipped or valuable as the one I had originally agreed to purchase. But, if I decided on that car, I would forfeit the $4K that was part of the original deal. I was in a corner, and had no negotiating power. I test drove the car. The vehicle made a loud low pitched sound when accelerating to cruising speed. I mentioned it to Augustine during the drive. He didn't hear it. I said it could be the road, but I believe it's in the car. He said everything seemed fine to him. I took the car home. The next day I drove the car and the low pitched sound was still there. I drove straight to Nissan of Fort Worth. They took the car and called me a few hours later. The car was unsafe to drive. The wheel hub assemblies and bearings on the right side were damaged. Continued driving could have easily resulted in an accident. I once again contacted Augustine with the information. I want to come to an agreement with Clay Cooley. You have sold me two cars in one week. Neither of which did I actually want. The first car was dirty, damaged, unserviced, and uninspected. Yet, your internal procedures allowed your used car staff to push it towards a senior customer, assuring him everything would be taken care of at a later date. Then you replace that vehicle with one that has serious/dangerous mechanical damage that is audible to a senior customer with limited hearing, and verified/repaired by a different dealership's service department.
Can we go back to square 1 and do this right?

• Updated by Larry Hinkle · Sep 25, 2018

I have received confirmation from all 3 agencies noted in my complaint (CarGurus, BBB, Texas AG Office).

used car sales abuses

I purchased a 2016 F150 from them on 4/26/18. I traded in a 2016 Jeep Renegade. that had an outstanding loan...

sales

Worst experience ever at the Galleria Chevrolet location! I drove from FT.Hood/Killeen TX (+160miles) to buy...

Poor service

I am the owner of a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro, purchased brand new from Clay Coley Chevrolet. I left work early...

Fraud

On June 14, 2014 I went out to Clay Cooley of Irving, Texas and traded in the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt that I...

Waste of Time

Clay Cooley is the worst place to purchase a vehicle, they tell you they can help you even if you have bad credit or no credit. I went in to do a trade in the offered me close to nothing on my trade in and still wanted $4000.00 down. I explained I did not want to put any money down and that I lived far away and DID NOT want to drive all the way out there if they were going to just say they couldnt help me, still they asked me to come in and they would get me into a vehicle WRONG!!! The guy that helped me did not offer any other solutions all he said was " how much you got to put down " once I said nothing his whole attidude changed and made it seem like he did not need my business. I would not recommend Clay Cooley to my worst enemy!

Worst service department

I admit I have never dealt with Clay Cooley ever, except for seeing him on TV, I read what other people write and say about dealers but always try and form my own opinion. In short, I would never return to Clay Cooley's service department for as much as putting air in my tires... absolutely horrendous.

I have owned nothing but Nissans, quality product, and whilst I have only purchased Nissans from two dealerships (Jerry's Nissan - now Southwest Nissan in Weatherford) and Don Davis Nissan in Arlington (lifetime customer) I have used service departments at several (for convenience, ie work etc). Every dealership has been professional and their service department extremely knowledgable, these dealers include the aforementioned as well as Grubbs Nissan in Bedford and West Loop Nissan (aka Thornhill Nissan) in Fort Worth. Clay Cooleys service department, inept.

Here's what happened. I drive a brand new 2011 Nissan Titan SV, love it, but it doesn't have the Homelink mirror installed. Not a problem when I purchased it from Don Davis (and this is how honest they are), buy one, whether from them or elsewhere and it can be installed very easily, the SV is pre-wired. OK, sounds good, so I get on ebay and find a dealership in Arizona which is selling some discounted. I email them prior to purchase to confirm it will fit my truck, they asked for my VIN number, which I provided, they confirmed it would fit, and it arrives a few days later. That Saturday I decide to drive to Clay Cooley Nissan, they are a little closer to my house than Don Davis, to find out how much they would charge to install it. Ok, the service guy when he walks out and is quite professional, asks me what I need and I explain about the mirror install. He looks confused (first warning sign btw). He then says, and I quote, um, let me ask my manager. He walks off and leaves me standing in the service bay. About 10 minutes passes, he comes back and explains he doesn't know whether it will fit my truck, they would need it for a day to check, then make sure they didn't need to order parts including a new harness, reprogramming the computer to accept the mirror, and it would cost quite a few hundred dollars!. Needless to say, I was a little shocked given what other dealers had told me and a friend of mine as the 2011 Nissan Titan SV which has it installed'. I asked the guy whether he could find this information out with the VIN number, he said no (Second warning sign now)|. So I leave;. I call Don Davis, their response, sure, bring it in, we'll have it done in an hour, . So I head down there with my mirror (and harness which comes with the mirror incidently) and less than an hour later, I am driving out with my newly installed working homelink mirror..

Clay Cooleys service department based on this are one of two things, either completely clueless about the product they purport to service, or they pick and choose what they want to service, . Either way, I wouldn't take my truck there ever! I'll drive to Arlington to Don Davis!

Liars, don't trust them

I went to them expecting to buy a car the salesmen called me and said you have been approved for a brand new car, Well i went to go too see CLAY and got nothing but a run around for 6hrs at the end of all the turmoil with dealing with them they tried to show and sell me junk i felt like telling the salesman CARLO GIOIA too kiss my ::::: but i gracefully left before i did that all i can say about Clay Cooley is they try to take advantage of people who they feel are desperate pitiful.

• Ca
    Calvin Terry Feb 12, 2014

I recently traded my 2012 Nissan Max in on a 2014 Nissan Max. December 2, 2013. The account on the 2012 stayed open for 2 months, I realized that I had mailed a payment in on the 2012 Nissan and bought it to the attention of Clay Cooley Nissan and Nissan company. The customer service representative told me that I had an over payment that of 1, 518.18 that would be refunded to me however when I informed Clay Cooley finance section about it they contacted Nissan and requested that the overpayment be sent to them. I was told to contact my bank and get a copy of my account showing payment had been processed the account of my monthly payment was $718.90 which was processed on December 6, 2013. I don't know where the remaining balance of $799.28 come from but my main concern is the payment I made and wasn't a part of my new deal. They drag there feet on everything even telling you to come back for a copy of your contract you'll get it but it will take awhile it's not with all the contract preparers there are a couple good one's but the boss in finance seem to have a very unconcerned attitude and will not answer phone calls most of the time.

Worst Service

Traded our truck in over a month ago and Clay Cooley has yet to send the payoff to GMAC/Ally. We have been so...

Shady dealership

Bought a good car for a good price. Salesman was very nice. I messed up by not looking at the engine but found out later that their was no air filter in there. That does not pass inspection. A car at a dealership cannot be sold if it could not pass inspection but I'm the one who didn't check so thats my bad. But the fact that they sold me it knowing there was no air filter brings me to look down on the dealership. They're doing their thing trying to make easy money by ripping people off and if they can get away with it, good for them but it will come back to them so how. It might not be so pretty in the future. Some other shady stuff went on too.

Auto Swindlers

Purchased my car in July 2007 after speaking with sales rep. via phone calls for a few weeks. Was told I qualified for a "new" program that gives second chances to deserving customers attempting to rebuild credit. For $1000 down I could choose from over 20+ new/barely preowned vehicles that would count towards all 3 credit bureaus and in return I after making payments on time after 6- 12 months I could refinance OR I could trade in for a another car. Well, long story short I drove home with a HUGELY overpriced '02 PT Cruiser AS IS, but promised it had no defects so after 6 months, I can trade in or finance at a lower rate. I felt as though because of my credit this was the only option for me. I drove the car home and it overheated as soon as I pulled into the driveway. Clay Cooley would not take the car back because legally the car was now mine, even if I had it less than 24 hours. They told me that it just needed the fluids changed. As it turns out, it overheated about 4 x's when I discovered they sold me the car with a hole in the radiator. Very very dangerous, but hey they got their $$$ so they didn't care. Please whoever reads this...BE CAREFUL! After 3-4 months of timely payments they then sold my account to Bayquest/Affiliated Financial. (They are even more of a nightmare- check my complaint filed under "Bayquest" on this site...always losing payments, counting $ towards interest and not principle, etc...)Learn from my mistakes...
1. Always get a Carfax report. If they won't gie you one - LEAVE ..no scratch that - RUN!
2. If they offer a sweet deal like the one I was offered (6-12 months refinance) get it in writing.
3. Ask probing questions about their option to sell your account to a different company AFTER you've purchased from them.

• Lo
    lovescars62 Jul 14, 2009

It looks like you have bad credit. You didn't buy a warranty. You bought a vehicle as-is. You act as if you never bought a car before. It is always better to blame a car dealer for your misgivings than taking a look at yourself. Pay your bills on time...and go buy a new car!!!

Martha Pardo Feb 27, 2012

This goes for lovescars62 that obviously works for Clay Cooley and that responds to all the bad reviews against Clay Cooley. I've been reading all the bad reviews from Clay Cooley and from personal experience of doing business with them I can guarantee that most of them are legitimate complaints. Clay Cooley is a dealership that takes advantage of people that need a car and have bad credit. My advice to people that have bad credit is to buy a cash car for the mean time until you better your credit. Clay Cooley sells used cars that are terribly in bad conditions and a week or month later from purchasing a car they break down and after that you're on your own. Not only do you have to pay your car note but also end up paying for car repairs that are too high to be able to afford. Life isn't perfect and people go through hardships do to circumstances in life. It's not always better to blame a car dealership for peoples misgivings but it would be nice if Clay Cooley sold reliable cars for people to purchase then maybe you guys wouldn't have 31 complaints on BBB.

• Ty
    Tyneeo Nov 15, 2014

How did you get out of the car or did you have to finish the payments? I'm in the same boat and will be paying $24k for a car which is worth $6 if that. I have already paid $12k and cannot find my way out of this scam.

• Qu
    quincyg Sep 22, 2016

I am buying a Chevy Malibu from them. I have nothing but praise for them. Mr.Harvey was and is a very professional and proficient salesman. I had one small problem with my car. The remote fob was broken. They didnt have to...but they had a guy come and reprogram my car and got me one for free. I am 100% happy with my car, and the service. Go to the Clay Cooley off of IH-20...ask for John Harvey. They will do right by you.

• To
    Toby Grace Jan 27, 2017

@quincyg Beware doing business with this car dealership!! They can't even pay their bills! They bought tires from our company and can't pay. Some of the bills are 8 and even 10 months old and still we have received no payment. Can you image how a car dealership with this kind of integrity will treat you? We are having to file a lawsuit against them now to try and retrieve our money. Who knows if they will be in business a couple months from now? All I know is that they CAN'T PAY! Now imagine a scenario of going to buy a nice car at Clay Cooley Nissan, the car or SUV you always wanted. Then a week or two after you buy it you wake up and find out that the car or SUV you bought from them is in your driveway sitting on blocks with no wheels or tires on it! Then maybe you might call Clay Cooley Nissan to try and find out why your wheels and tires were repossessed off of your truck or SUV through no fault of your own, and then maybe they are no longer in business because they got sued by so many companies for failure to pay their bills that it was just too much for them? Do business with a company like this AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Br
    Brittany M Feb 22, 2018

My husband and I went to the clay Cooley Mitsubishi in Arlington to see about trading in our car we purchased from them over a year ago. We were assisted by a representative, she was nice. However, when she told us we weren’t able to trade in our car because it was through the in house program, we told her we were told by multiple clay Cooley reps that were able to trade in within 12-15 months of having the vehicle if we made our payments. She told us she will talk to her boss and have him speak to us. So as I waited with my two children, my husband stepped outside to take a phone call. Five minutes passed and her boss storms out of the office yelling in front of everyone in the building saying “if they don’t have $6, 000-$7, 000 they can’t trade in nothing!” And he stormed into another room and never acknowledged us at all.

Nightmare

My husband and I recently went to Clay Cooley in Marietta Oklahoma after speaking to them on the phone and going through the whole review process and them saying my husband was approved. We had a 900.00 down payment and we were trading in a 99 F250 4x4, they said they were giving us 5200.00 for it! Ok, great, well, when we sat there all day LITERALLY all day, they said that we aren't approved and the only way they could do it was if we had someone to buy it for us and then just let us make the payments, ok well my parents said ok. We come back the next day with my parents and sign all the papers, give them all the info and leave in our 06 Isuzu. Well, then I start getting calls saying it needs to be returned because they couldn't get it financed. I said NO they said they would try another finance co., ok then they didn't get that one through either. It needed to be returned... I said ok I need my 900 & the truck back. They wont do it. We are going to be out everything, we have 5 kids, jobs, bills??? Do not think so. So we still have the Isuzu and are probably going to be in trouble for theft but they totally messed us around. Clay Cooley is nothing but a joke and a nightmare.

• Lo
    lovescars62 Jul 14, 2009

Shame on you!!! You falsified your information. You were not truthful about your credit. You would not return the vehicle and put thousands of miles it. You lied on several occasions about returning the vehicle and kept it for several months. Your lucky the dealer didn't put you in jail!!! don't hide behind your children...Pay your bills on time so you can qualify for a vehicle and I hope you don't teach your kids the way you behaved!

Poor salesmanship

I went to Clay Cooley to see what types of deals they have. The salesman ran my information and told me I only qualified for in-house financing, which would help me improve my credit.

He then showed me several (10) used cars I could choose from. He said they were all the same price, regardless of the make or model, but he would not, could not tell me the price of the cars. Every time I asked, he kept saying, "This is to help you restore your credit."

I believe I ought to know the price of the car before making a final selection and if I ask, he should find out.

When he left to meet an appointment, the salesman he gave me told me the payment would be $400 for 4 yrs., that's $19, 200, but the car I looked at is only worth $10, 800.

• Yo
    Yourwrongman Feb 02, 2011

If u have bad credit u have no reason to complain on higher prices if you had a good credit score the rate would have been much lower