Having problems with TCF Bank?

1800 823 2265 (Phone Banking)
1800 823 5363 (Consumer Loans)
+1 612 823 2265 (Phone Banking)
+1 612 823 5363 (Consumer Loans)
+1 888 810 8860 (Auto Finance)
+1 866 202 2736 (TCF Investments)
+1 612 334 7900 (TCF Investments)
+1 800 343 6145 (TTY (Hearing Impaired)
+1 612 333 2722 (Treasury Management)
+1 877 784 8239 (Treasury Management)
+1 952 512 6394 (Lending Needs)
+1 866 835 5044 (Loan Servicing)
+1 866 311 2755 (TCF Equipment Finance)
+1 800 843 8264 (Winthrop Resources)
+1 877 872 8234 (TCF Inventory Finance (United States)
+1 877 800 4430 (TCF Inventory Finance, Canada)
1405 Xenium Lane North
Plymouth, Minnesota

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with TCF Bank.

Complaints & Reviews

TCF Bank — nsf fees and holding deposits

TCF Bank selects items to suspend in order to add NSF fees. TCF Bank adds NSF fees to RETURNED checks that...

TCF Bankforeclosing

Tcf bank is nothing but a joke!!! My Dad passed away & the bank offered to do a hardship on the loan for a year & told me that the $400.00 difference that I was not paying for the year would be applied to back of the loan. WELL guess what the year is up & now I am getting foreclosure letters! So since I cannot come up with the money they will start foreclosure process. I tried calling & this rude woman Vicki told me that I am living in a house that does not belong to me & I cannot prove that my Dad is my father, well his name is on my birth certificate but thats not good enough. She then tells me I need to get out. Unbelievable. Now they are going to buy the 2012 1st installment of property tax too, funny because I have always paid the property tax it was always a little late because I have to wait until I get my income tax return but it has always been paid, it never went up for auction thru the county. So TCF is nothing but a lying bank. Thanks for making a single mom with two little ones to end up homeless!!!

• Ae
      aec9 Jul 10, 2013

APPARENTLY YOU BOTH CANNOT READ OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH...OR MAYBE YOU MISSED THE PART THAT SAID THEY WERE GIVING A HARDHIP & AGREED TO LOWERING THE PAYMENTS FOR A YEAR YOU TWO DUMB ### PRY WORK FOR TCF

TCF Bandnsf charges

Same complaint as others posted on this website regarding the balances listed on TCF's online banking not being accurate and showing as funds available. When customer makes withdrawls or writes checks on an account that shows plenty of funds available, account becomes overdrawn and TCF charges a $37.00 NSF fee. TCF repeatedly denies a 'bank error' although branch staff admit to known issues with the online banking system balances being inaccurate. Strongly recommend banking somewhere else!

TCF National Bank — nsf charges

My son was charged $37 insufficient funds fee 5 times (total $185) despite depositing funds exceeding the...

TCF Bank — rude and billigerant

I work in Afghanistan. I told the bank, TCF, that I would be traveling in the Middle East, SE Asia etc. For...

TCF- Robbinsdale, MN — lost my deposit item/indiffernt mgr

TCF teller lost one of the items from one of my three deposits made at their drive-thru. I had observed 6...

Robbinsdale

TCF Bankunwarranted fees

I recently had my checkbooks stolen (3 banks), thus closed and opened accounts at all three banks including TCF. The other 2 banks worked with me as payments processed from ACH and checks on my old account, reaching out to me to confirm they were legitimate until I could clear things with on my end. In short, THE OTHER BANKS I DEALT WITH HAD OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE! Now for TCF... They told me I would be charged a fee if I had transactions hit against my old account, so I left some money in it for a know ACH transaction that would happen on a Monday (this being a Friday), knowing it was too late to change. That went fine, but the next week with another ACH transaction hit the old account TCF CHARGED ME A $37 SERVICE FEE AND DID NOT INFORM ME OF THE TRANSACTION OR THE FEE except by mail 3 days later. They then charged me ANOTHER FEE a few days later because my account had a negative balance at month end. That is TCF does I guess - they intentionally do NOT work with you so they can line their pockets with fee income. I three times went to a branch stating my case that as a loyal customer who is dealing with an unfortunate theft situation, that I would appreciate TCF reversing these fees. Each time the branch said no, saying it was my fault the account I thought was closed did not have sufficient funds. To make matters worse, last week I wrote a letter to their corporate customer service as a last ditch appeal for common sense. Their response... THEY TOOK MONEY OUT OF MY NEW ACCOUNT TO ELIMINATE THE NEGATIVE BALANCE ON THE OLD ACCOUNT WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION!!! If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about TCF's priorities and corporate values, I don't know what does. I am closing my accounts with TCF today even though I just paid for new checks and this will cost me more money out of my pocket, but there is no point dealing with a bank with such low moral standards and selfish priorities. I encourage everyone else to consider the same and NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH TCF!

Jayds Jan 11, 2013

I have tcf and I deposited 361 dollers and I went out to eat a couple days after and I bought something online. And I should of had 325 left in my account but I looked at my statement online and I got 317 in my account the day I deposited my 361 the same day I we t from 361 to 349 like wth. I didn't buy anything that day and I Take good care of my money but if they are doing hidden fees I should close my account

TCF Bank — deactivated check card

I made a relatively large purchase on June 10th with no difficulty, and everything went well until june 25th...

TCF Bankbank fees

We've had a checking account with TCF for over 15 years, where we kept a small ($500) amount of funds to be able to access them via check or ATM. The account was "free checking"--no interest but no fees. When I checked my account online this weekend, I was surprised to find that TCF had changed the terms of the account and started charging me $9.95 a month in fees 6 months ago, without my consent. I went to a TCF branch today. They refunded 2 months of fees, but couldn't go back farther unless I was willing to pay $5.00 for each monthly statement! We closed this account and are opening an account in a credit union. We lost $40 in exorbitant fees, and will never again be TCF customers. I guess they can use our $40 to entice a new customer with a $50 sign-up bonus--sounds like a loosing business model to me.

• Ki
            Kim23 Jul 15, 2010

I was just charged $140 for insufficient funds in the bank. TCF bank sucks the money from your account. Be careful. Before I made any purchases, I made sure that I had enough money in the bank. They even agreed with me on that. TCF will keep a transaction pending for the longest, even though the funds are available. They sieze the right moment to get you with all of these fees by posting various transactions days later. Don't even think about depositing cash, if its not before the extremely early cutoff, forget about using your own money anytime soon. I'm going somewhere else for my banking needs.

• Ha
            HAPPY_32 Aug 04, 2010

I DISAGREE BECAUSE IF YOU DEPOSIT CASH WITH A TELLER BEFORE THE BRANCHES CLOSED EVEN IF ITS AFTER THE CUT OFF TIME IT IS AVAILABLE IN YOUR ACCOUNT FOR THAT DAY..
            ITS NOT TCF FAULT THAT THE TRANSACTIONS POST 3 DAYS LATER.. THATS UP TO THE MERCHANT WHEN THEY PROVIDE THE BANK A CONFIRMATION OF THE TRANSACTION IN ORDER TO POST TO YOUR ACCOUNT. SO IF THE MERCHANT WANTS TO TAKE 3 DAYS OR A WEEK THAT UP TO THE MERCHANT NOT TCF.. SO IF YOU DECIDE TO GO SPEND THE MONEY FOR THE ITEM THAT IS STILL PENDING AND U MAKE UR ACCOUNT NEGATIVE THAT IS UR FAULT NOT TCF...
            JUST BECAUSE YOU CALL OR CHECK ON LINE OR CHECK AND ATM MACHINE FOR YOUR BALANCE THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOUR BALANCE THAT IS GIVEN IS UR BALANCE TO SPEND..

KEEP A REGISTER...

• Ka
            kamala777 Dec 20, 2012

I agree. Same thing happened to me. But, when they changed the accounts back to no minimum 15 transactions, I was told that it applied to all of my accts at TCF. After, finding a fee for not having 15 transactions in one of my three accounts with them, I was charged $9.95 in that account. Customer service reps, tellers as well as those rude mgrs, (especially Jay Calhoun at Robbinsdale branch) is sorely lacking in training and customer service skills. No wonder we are closing our accts and going elsewhere. They just plain do not care !

TCF Bank/Checking Account — closing an account/customer service

I have been dealing with this bank for a very short time. I am so glad I moved to Georgia and closed the...

TCF Bankdeactivate card on every online purchase!

Everytime I make an online purchase from ANY merchant, TCF will flag my debit (visa) card for fraud!, This has happened multiple time's over several years!, Fortunately I use Paypal when available, They deactivate my card which put's me in numerous embarrassing positions., I keep complaining to them and they continue to do this!, My wife banks with Wells Fargo and she has NEVER had this happen!, I've had it!, Good-bye TC[censored]

TCF Bankcharging large fees to the working poor

TCF is unsympathetic to those having employment issues or that are trying to get by in these difficult times living check to check. Rather they are counting on a large number of overdraft fees by holding items until after business hours and sending larger amount transactions first to create the largest amount of overdraft fees. Even if the item is a $2 check, they will unscrupulously charge an overdraft fee even after mom calls begging to rescind their fees. We all want to make money, but must TCF make their money on the backs of the working poor and their children.

• Ga
                gatortracks Feb 12, 2012

Don't write checks against unavailable funds.

Where in their policies does it say they will not charge fees if you call and beg?

TCF Bankmistreated

I could not believe the way me and my children was treated at this bank... I went to make a deposit for $221.00 on a Sunday inside the bank... I wanted to verify the amount I needed to deposit with my insurance people so I told the Assist manager to go ahead and help the other customers... I had counted the money out to her four $ 50dollars bills one 20 dollar bill and a $1 bill... She took the money and started to help the other customer... I then came back to counter so the other teller could help me complete my transaction... The teller asks if I had giving the assist. Manager the money I replied yes... She then went over to her and the assist. Manager said she didn't have it... The teller asks me to wait on the assist. Manger so I could talk with her... Keep in mind I waited about 15 or 20min for her to come and assist me. The manger then begin saying she didn't have my money and that I never gave her the money... She never once apologized and said I’m so sorry let me do everything I can to try and locate your money... She had a very nasty attitude and stated that she would never make a mistake like that... The assist manger counted her drawer down and stated that all her numbers matched and she didn't have my money... I was getting really upset at this point and trying to keep it together... I told her that I was not leaving untie she gave me my money back... The bank was closed so she said well I will have to call the police to have you removed... I asked her if she could run the cameras back to see if maybe someone had picked it up... She said I would have to wait tell Monday. I refused to wait tell Monday for my money... I was so upset I started to cry in tears because I was being treated as if I was lying and making the hold entire thing up... After all the back and forward another teller came over to count her drawer down... After counting her drawer down he then figure out that she was over $221.00 over... She never gave me the proper apology as an assist. Manger should do in any situation... This was very unprofessional and in no way unprofessional... They made me looked like a liar in front my kids... I have never ever experience this type of service with any bank in my life... This was no way to treat anyone at all... I then closed my accounts and withdraw all my money from the bank.. This issue really need to be addressed by someone in charge..

• Bi
                  BiggTexx Nov 21, 2011

"so I told the Assist manager to go ahead and help the other customers"

The Assistant Manager of the bank was working as a teller on a sunday? Really?

• Fu
                  furious outdone Nov 26, 2011

I have a 90cent and a 6.00 out of state negative balance and I am being charge 28dollars a day. I can understand if there was money that I withdrawn for money not in my account I didn't get charged for these when my account occured those fee now its high way robbery.

• Ka
                  kamala777 Dec 20, 2012

Rude manager at TCF Robbinsdale, MN. The tellers don't verify the items in the deposits at his branch and have made numerous mistakes in not giving me all my deposit receipts for the items that I hand them. The last incident, a teller lost my $183 check from one of the three deposits that I handed her. Later, I get it deducted from my acct. I had to make 3 calls in 20 days, trying to get documentation of the transaction that it was lost by the teller/bank and to determine whether it was 1 or multiple items, so that I can check my records for the stub, go back to the check issuer to re-issue the check. I went to Jay Calhoun, mgr at this bank. He was aloof, did not make eye-contact, didn't bother to get my name, account info, look at all the documentation that I had regarding the transaction, not get the teller # which I had proof of. He just blew me off, telling me that I wasted time gathering info (to determine where the problem was) & should just go to the check issuer to get another check. (I could not go to the check issuer without doing the research to get documentation, in order to get another check issued to me. That took 3 calls & 20 days.) I came to him to express that there is a problem with teller duties & cust service, maybe audit that teller's personal ckg account, check their misc and/or suspended items. He just didn't care. He thought that I was asking for the money to be replaced. I was not. I came to give him a "heads-up". Meanwhile, I have been deprived of the use of my $183 that they lost and additional time to have the check issuer, re-issue me another check. I told him that I will take it to "the top" and tell everyone that I am in contact with (my patients, students, professional associates, Facebook, etc., ) to warn others. And, I am moving my three accounts from TCF Robbinsdale.

Tcf Bank/ Robert E. Jones — lousy poor customer service

This bank has the POOREST customer service in the ENTIRE WORLD!! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bank here!! I...

TCF Bank — dishonest polcies

I have been a small business owner in TCF bank for over 5 years. I am meticulous about balancing my checkbook...

TCF Bankfalse advertising

TCF had a promotion online to receive $100 for making 10 qualifying transactions. Although I completed this in a the time frame they gave they refused to credit my account. When I called and spoke with a supervisor and asked to speak with his manager because he said that he did not have the "authority" to credit the account he told me I had no right to speak with someone above him. He was the team lead I highly doubt he does not have a boss. Although 3 repreesentatives prior ro him advised I had until 06/06/11 to make the transactions he said that actually the deadline was the 05/31/11 and even though you made them by then you only had 9 at the end of the day on 05/30/11. That does not make sense unless they were just trying to get out of paying the $100 to me. That is exactly what they were doing so do not expect to get paid if you signed up with them recently.

• J0
                    J'Marinde Shephard Sep 19, 2012

The next time TCF messes with any of you, call into the main office [protected]) and ask to speak to Mark Jeter (jee-ter) <he is the current pres.>, if you get someone else, ask if they are his assistant and then speak with them (they will usually assist you by calling in their executive response team) - - OR file a complaint with the OCC (Office of the Comptroller of the Currency***) - -They make TCF behave!
                    Or - - if you are tired of all the letter writing and non-responsive nonsense:
                    email the chair and CEO:
                    William Cooper Chair CEO - - [protected]@tcfbank.com

***
                    OCC office - [protected]
                    Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
                    Fax to them - [protected]
                    complete name, mailing address used by bank, your daytime phone, name & address of bank, acct # if relevant, detailed explanation of complaint, description of the resolution seeking., make sure signed & fax to [protected]
                    Or google OCC to get address as to where to mail to

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck to all.

TCF Bankoverdraft charges

the overdraft charges are based on manipulation of the date of the transaction. The account balance and transactions that I see online on a DAILY basis are discounted and based on the fraudulent balances and transactions on their side (which we never see). I received $175 in overdraft charges because THEY SAY my account was overdrawn $22!~!!!, which it wasn't based on the email account balances THEY SENT ME, plus my ONLINE account info! They MANIPULATE the dates and times of the transactions to the DAY BEFORE to assess o/d charges! They also charge on PENDING transactions, but if a DEPOSIT is in PENDING status, it is NOT considered until 2 days later and thus, they CAN CHARGE o/d charges.. Their practices hurt the poor and less fortunate and WE PAY FOR THEIR BILLION DOLLAR PROFITS... the wealthy and more fortunate ( the politicians who create the laws) do NOT suffer from the ILLEGAL, FRAUDULENT practices of this LOCAL MN bank!
                  Unfortunately, the MN elected politians will NOT do anything about their fraudulent activities and they will continue to PROFIT off of the less fortunate and PAY THE POLITIANS to ignore their unlawful practices.!!!

• De
                      Debby1991 Aug 12, 2010

Direct Deposti made and checks posted. Made additional deposit and item was not posted same day when visiting the branch before 2 pm Bank did not post till next day on my account, Over draft charges on all checks totaling over 175.00 even after complaigning refused to reverse all charges and made deposit and still more over draft charges charged to my account. This bank has changed all the conditions made when opening the account including miminum deposit requirements. All transactions made from direct deposit should be made available immediately. Used account same day and received an NSF fund while visiting and making a purchase at Jewel. There is definitely something wrong with this bank. Funds are not posted correctly. Closing my account.

• Lo
                      Lostcousin Jul 14, 2011

TCF will DO EVERYTHING IT CAN to MANIPULATE the DATES of the transacations as they hit the account and BACK THEM UP to create overdrafts ... i.e., $22 overdrawn and $175 in o/d charges, which was the child support ACH which hit the same day but they didn't post until the following day!!! If the posted it when it hit, there would NOT have been any overdrafts!!! Thanks politicians for the wonderful fix to stop this type of activity!!! ONLY WORKS FOR THE WEALTHY!!!

• Mi
                      Michigan Jake Jul 23, 2012

Yes, I have similar problems. TCF charged $37 for a $15 overdraft, which caused the next day to overdraft for two items ($75) and then the third day for an additional $37. $148 charged, primarily due to overdraft fees on an original $15 overdraft that I covered first thing the following morning. Talk about crooks. I hope the greedy ### get audited and sent to jail for life.

• Gi
                      GiannaS. Jul 25, 2012

The same thing happened to me! They charged me on something that was pending...and told me that the company who charged me was supposed to pay my OD fees. The other company sent me proof that they swiped my card for $1 and that the charges were taked out on 7/20. My TCF Account shows the funds out on 7/20 AFTER my paycheck went into my account therefore looking at my true POSTED charges I was never negative. They are refusing to return the funds. It is very fraudulant. Because they said when I tried disputing a charge last year that they could not help me because it was "pending" and the company who charged me could actually not go ahead and the charge could be taken away.So in that conversation I was told "pending" was not real until it posted. But today I was told the opposite so they could justify their fees.

TCF Bank — tcf fraud

Beware of TCF Bank!!! After paying settlement in class action lawsuit for overdraft swindles that bank i...

TCF Bankdon't bank here

I feel like i was personally robbed by your bank in fees! Your costomer service is the worst I ever dealt with in my life, I talked to 7 different people received 7 answer for one question...made several attempt the close out my accounts with no success!!! Your bank is WORTHLESS and does the BLACK COMMUNITY A GREAT DISSERVICE. i was totally treated like *** the Goverment needs to really check thier banking practices and the way TCF keep book and thier costomer services have no knowledge of the issues at hand TCK needs to close down in all minorities communities

angmarie72 Mar 10, 2012

I agree and disagree. It's not only minorities they're [censored]ing over, it's everyone. I have 3 accounts with TCF (for now). The 1st one is with my mother. She had a stroke 3 months ago and has had suffered 4 more since then. Prior to the 1st massive stroke, she was having TIA's (mini-strokes). Because of that she decided to put together a durable power of attorney for me, should the worst happen. Which it did. My mother lives with us & with her income does most of the supporting of my family. I'm disabled and cannot work, have had a Worker's Comp case going on since 12/2009. As it stands, it looks like we'll be going to court. So I have NO income coming in on my behalf, in addition to that I've been a widow since I was 32 and have 4 children. Anyway, my mother has been taking loans out against her insurance policy to help pay the mortgage, insurance, bills, groceries, etc., stuff she normally pays for. I've been depositing them in our bank account. Two weeks ago I go online and it shows that our account has been closed. I called the 800 number to find out why. The person I spoke with was incrediabally rude and ended up telling me I needed to speak with the Branch Manager. So, I called her. She told me the account will remain closed until my mother can come in & sign some forms. I explained about the multiple strokes and informed her I had a Durable Power of Attorney to cover that. She then became snide & rude and restated that they need my mother to come in before they'll reopen the account. So, I've been working with an attorney about this. Yesterday, I went on to online banking to see what my personal checking account balance was. Guess What!!! ALL of my accounts, including my 19 year old son's had been closed!! I was like, what the [censored]?!? I called the 800 number and was told that my mother needs to come in & sign papers!! I asked them how that could be, considering her name wasn't on any of the accounts they closed. She told me to contact the branch manager. So I called the branch (different one than the other) and asked to speak with him. I was told he was with a customer and should be done in about 1/2 an hour. I left an URGENT message for him. Anhour went by, no phone call. So I called back. Again I was told he was with a customer, but they could take a message. I told them AGAIN that it was URGENT I speak with him, my accounts had been closed and I didn't have any money to buy even bread, milk or water for my kids. He says he'll give him the message. An hour and a half go by, still NO PHONE CALL!!! I called back for the 3rd time. This time I was told he was and had been in a meeting with the other supervisors for about 5 hours. I said, "That's funny, the last 2 times I called I was told he was with a customer." To which I got a reply of, "I don't know why anyone would tell you that. Can I take a message?" I left the same URGENT message I had the prior 2 times I called. Then I happen to look at my clock and guess the [censored] what!!! The bank is CLOSED FOR THE NIGHT!!! Without me ever receving a phone call back to my urgent messages. So, I call today (Saturday) and am told that the branch manager is not in until Monday. I said I wanted to speak to the person in charge. So a lady picks up the phone, I explain everything to her. Her response? Joe needs to deal with this, he'll be back Monday. I told her that I now had absolutelt NO MONEY, for gas, food, etc. She says she's sorry but it can be dealt with on Monday. I said to her, it should've been dealt with yesterday when I left 3 URGENT messages for Joe and that in the meantime I would be putting together my complaint letters to the BBB, the consumer fiduacary board and the attorney general, then just hung up. THIS BANK HAS TOTALLY [censored]ED ME OVER!!! I just want to get access to all my money and get the hell out of there!!

• Ramelle Mar 10, 2012

What do you have against paragraphs angmarie72?

TCFillegal nsf charges 5 on one day & I was not overdrawn

recently opened a checking account because of the promotional
                      "free" $100 ---- made deposits, etc. and used debit card to fulfill 6 of the 10 transactions needed to qualify for the $100. According to my records and the online account I was fine and my balance was never negative. According to the bank site at Cub Foods, they "POST" the
                      transactions whenever they feel like it and they claim I was overdrawn and proceeded to charge me 5 nsf charges of $35 in one day. I fought with them and showed them proof. I then asked why the card would not have been declined that day. They said I opted in for not having the card declined -- I did not. Why would I do that knowing I'd get an overdraft? Also Cub Foods did reject when I had $.45 instead of $4.92 but they still say I opted in and blah -blah - blah. My acct. should have $2.00 and they say it is NEGATIVE -$171.00.

• Mb
                          MBorg369 Sep 19, 2009

TCF hold your funds for purchases made, but never uses the funds to pay your transactions. They hold all your purchases for days then post them by the highest one first causing many fees and bounced checks. If they process them when you made the purchase this would not happen.

• Up
                          upathetic Sep 20, 2009

Hey, look Maggie, your stalker now has THREE ids! And they're ALL drunk!

• Po
                          pobarjenkins Apr 16, 2011

"they "POST" the transactions whenever they feel like it" Actually their system of re-ordering transactions follows cost (I think) and many other banks do the same. Have you asked if they'd reverse the charges?

• Ru
                          RunsWithScissors Apr 29, 2011

VickyH: THEY GOT ME THE SAME WAY, ONLY MY FAMILY SET UP 5 ACCOUNTS, 3 OF WHICH HAVE BEEN HIT JUST AS YOU DESCRIBED. ONE IS NOW NEGATIVE OVER $200.00 AND ANOTHER FOR LIKE, $80.00...SO, OFF WE GO TO KEY BANK! THEY OFFER A SIMILAR $100 BONUS FOR A COUPLE OF DIRECT DEPOSIT TRANSACTIONS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED.
                          If you have a complaint about TCF, you can go here to the OCC and file online: http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/
                          I AM ALSO FILING A COMPLAINT AT THE SITE ABOVE...YOU SHOULD TOO! BEST OF LUCK, SISTAH IN POVERTY B/C OF TCF.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices