Student UniverseNo refunds, $360 cancellation fees

J Review updated:

Paid $550 for a flight booked with studentuniverse.com. Due to a medical emergency I had to cancel or move the flight to a different date. Called student universe and they demanded $280 just to change the date of the flight. I asked them "What if the new flight actually costs less than the new one? Do I get a reimbursement for the difference?" Their response "No. We would call that AN EVEN EXCHANGE". So If I were to book a new flight in the winter (when its less expensive) for say $400 I will have in effect paid Student Universe $830 for the flight (included the rebooking fee). So bottom line is if you want to change your flight you they make you pay the price of the original flight plus $280 and will not refund you the difference if the flight is less expensive
Now if you want to cancel it's $360 for my $550 flight. That's a 65% penalty. Unheard of.
Bottom line, Studentuniverse.com is a BOOKING AGENCY. It has nothing to do with the airline you booked your flight. You are at the mercy of the unscrupulous studentuniverse people and their unintelligible call center operators (their call center is in India, don't get me started).
AVOID the shoddy booking agency that is STUDENTUNIVERSE.com

• Jy
    Jyothi Bhat May 09, 2019

Student Universe is the worst kind of agency. I had booked 4 tickets round trip worth of $1200 within is. The trip was cancelled due to medical emergency (accident). When I asked for refund that too a week before the flight, they said it's non refundable. OMG, who loots people like that????

• St
    StephKg Jan 28, 2018

Their call center is unreliable. I called them three times to cancel a flight past weeks and all they could say was to wait till they send me a refund email. They said they need to wait for the airline to respond them as to the refund amount. I waited and waited, and today, I received the check-in email from the airline because it departs in 9 hours. I'm about to call them again. I'm not really hopeful if I could get a refund. It wasn't a cheap flight because it was international. This is outrageous. I will never NEVER use their use their service. I learned a big lesson.

• Pr
    prince233 Jan 02, 2016

better to avoid student universe

• Cy
    Cyrus14 Jun 30, 2013

As an Agency, StudentUniverse is bound by the contract they have with the airlines. If it says that residual value is forfeited, then they are bound to follow that.

A helpful tip would be to actually click the fare terms and condition before finalizing a ticket it would actually show you the ticket rules in its entirety. That would make sure that all the rules contained in your ticket is shown including how much the refund fee is.

P.S. Regular Tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE so it is still helpful that they actually give you an option for a refund.

Jasmine8 Apr 06, 2013

Wish I could see your comment earlier!!! Actually, the price that Student Universe provides is the same as other agencies, just cheaper than airline‘s websites in 10 dollars. I forgot who recommended Student Universe to me and I started booking tickets from it.
    Another disadvantage of booking through agencies is that if the price decreases after your booking, you can not get the fare difference back as credit, which is possible if you book from airline's website directly.
    I just booked a round-way ticket this Monday with 484 dollars, and today (Friday) when I was searching for another trip, and I accidentally found that the price decreased by 200 dollars!! I called Student Universe, they said that it is refundable, and the cancellation penalty is very high! They are not responsible for returning any fare difference.
    Anyway, I won't use Student Universe any more.