Having problems with Spirit Airlines?

Spirit Airlines reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Feb 15, 2007. The latest review Cancelled flights was posted on Oct 30, 2021. The latest complaint unauthorised charge of $69.95 and no way to contact customer service was resolved on Feb 01, 2019. Spirit Airlines has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 257 reviews. Spirit Airlines has resolved 52 complaints.

Spirit Airlines Customer Service Contacts

1800 006 1111 (Mexico)
+1 954 447 8010 (United States)
+1 801 401 2222 (US, Canada, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands)
+1 800 772 7117 (US, Canada, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands)
+1 954 698 0125 (Spirit Vacations)
+504 94 520 238 (Honduras)
+505 22 781 149 (Nicaragua)
+506 40 329 449 (Costa Rica)
+502 22 920 828 (Guatemala)
+507 836 7701 (Panama)
+503 21 130 326 (El Salvador)
+57 67 497 248 (Colombia)
+1 877 211 1546 (Jamaica)
+1 849 937 0808 (Dominican Republic)
2800 Executive Way
Miramar, Florida

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Spirit Airlines Customer Service. Initial Spirit Airlines complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Spirit Airlines above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Spirit Airlines. Discuss the issues you have had with Spirit Airlines and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Spirit Airlines Complaints & Reviews, Page 7

Spirit Airlines — flight cancellation

My wife had a scheduled departure flight from Santo Domingo on January 15th, and the flight was cancelled due...

Spirit Airlineslost baggage on the plane!

Hey, my name is Daniel DTeah!! I'm filing a complaint about my lost luggage that got missing doing my fighting on the 12-29-2015. I do have some important documents, shoes, cloths, money about 5.000 phone etc... It been the forth day since this accident ocurried ! I do really need my luggage Plsss, because I have worth of things in my luggage that cost 10.000 dollars .

Spirit Airlinesairline tickets

In July 2015 I booked a vacation on cheap carribean.com for a 7 night stay in cancun at an all inclusive resort and unfortunately picked spirit airlines as the air carrier. In october 2015 my family found out that my mother has terminal cancer and I am a primary care giver. I won't be able to take this vacation until November 2016. I had to cancel the vacation. cheap carribean took pity on me. I tried explaining this to spirit airlines. I found out that when canceling airline tickets that they charge approximately 130 dollar per person cancellation fees and that if any airfare credit if left over it expires 60 days after cancellation. I cancelled on 28 November 2015. I have a credit left over of 193.76 that expires on 29 January 2016. My reservation number is B9M2WW. I have been begging spirit airlines to please extend the expiration date on this airfare credit until their flights for november 2016 open up and they won't make any exceptions even under the current situation I am facing. They can't even tell me when the flights for november 2016 will open up. Can anyone help me with this?

Respond

Spirit Airlinesnon delivery of my baggage

I flew from bwi to atlanta enroute nigeria on thursday nov. 26th. One(1) of luggage(black containing clothing materials etc) was not carried to atlanta. I filled a luggage service report no l/[protected], claim check # [protected]. I even asked someone in atlanta to follow up. Till now, the luggage has not been delivered.

Spirit Airlines — unauthorized credit card charge

To Whom It May Concern,     I just received my credit card bill and it has a charge from Spirit Airline...

Spirit Airlineslost luggage

So i flew from Atlanta back home to Ft. Lauderdale on Oct. 12th, 2015. My luggage never came back. I immediately filed a claim with Spirit in their office in the airport. The guy working there thought that it could be delayed and possibly be on the next flight which came in a few hours later and that i would've have the bag that day. Well that didn't happen. I had to fill out the claim forms that are on their website and write down everything i think was in the bag (and ofcorse i overpacked, who doesn't!). I had to go to the bank and get the form notorized like it says to do and then i mailed it. About 2 weeks later I got a call from someone who works at Southwest from the ATL airport and somehow she had my bag. She said the handle was broken on my bag and the destination tag fell off. She said what airline were you flying and I told her Spirit. 2 days later someone from Spirit called and had the nerve to ask if I would drive to the airport (about 20 miles from my house) to pick up the bag, I declined and so someone would deliver it to my house. I finally got my bag with all my stuff in it. I followed up and wrote a complaint on Spirit's website. Someone finally wrote me back on 11/11/15. Stated: We received your claim requesting compensation for cosmetics and a hair straightener, unfortunately, these items are not covered under our Contract of Carriage, so I am unable to issue compensation as requested (even though I had to go out and buy these items because i didn't have for 2 weeks and included the reciepts when I mailed everything) And only issued me a $25.00 voucher...LOL! I should be compensated for my luggage that was broken (which is $40), reimbursed the bag, and atleast a free flight and all they can offer me is $25?!

Spirit Airlines — damaged luggage and poor service

We arrived in Detroit, MI from Las Vegas, NV on Sunday, November 7, 2015 and had to wait almost an hour and a...

Spirit Airlinestravel - terrible!

Never fly this airline! Horrible! They lure you with cheap fares and then charge a fee for EVERYTHING! Even to just have a decent seat an adult can reasonably sit in! So its no deal and you end up paying the same amount as another airline. Horrible customer service. Rude staff. And unfortunately, they JUST DONT CARE whether you are upset or not! Its like they are taught to be mean to customers. Luggage you ask? Of course they LOST THE LUGGAGE! Then attendant said I will do you a favor and let you buy a few reasonable price things to go to your event tonight. A favor? SMH. I flew 8 family members to Chicago on Spirit. Never again. They were all so upset when they arrived it could have spoiled our event. Same thing happened on the way back! Such incompetence. Such poor systems. Such horrible customer service. Save yourself some trouble. Stay away.

• Gi
              gingin1 Mar 27, 2018

A class action case is currently pending in Federal Court. Cox v. Spirit Airlines. The law firm handling the case: Hermina Law Group, [protected].

Spirit Airlines — had to pay luggage fee twice

I booked the following one-way flights with Spirit for 2 persons via Bravofly: 08-05-2015 ~ €220.82 ~...

Spirit Airlinesoverbooking scam

Early on 8/10/15 I got an email informing me that 756 from SJO (Costa Rica)to FLL was delayed from 12:30 to 2:52. So, I arrived at SJO at 12:50 and found an angry group of about 20 customers, all who had been bumped bc we weren't there two hours before the ORIGINAL flight time. Agents were incredibly rude and seemed to make a joke of it - needless to say there were no apologies that I heard to anyone. They did offer to get us back to the US TWO days later! Agents refused to offer any compensation or help book, even at our expense, on another airline. It is clear that Spirit's way of handling overbooking is to delay the flight, knowing enough will adjust according to their delay email and be "late" - thereby relieving them of the need to pay compensation. What a scam this airline is.

Respond

Spirit Airlinesthe cost of a delayed departure

Flight #756 from SJO (San Jose, Costa Rica) to Ft. Lauderdale was 24 minutes late departing. It was supposed to leave at 12.30 pm, instead it took off at 12.54 p.m. Enough time for my daughter to miss her connecting flight 619 to Houston. When the reservation was made, we did not choose this flight plan, it is Spirit Airlines that offers to its clients. So, the end result, make a hotel reservation for my 19 yr. old daughter at a Ramada Inn close to the airport, costing an additional $86 dollars. Spirit Airlines does not offer to pay for your hotel overnight, it only offers information where you can choose to stay. So if you are considering Spirit Airlines for its low price, think again. It might be better to book direct flights that cost a bit more but get you to your destination without extra expenses -- hotel and extra meals. Our other option: to sit at the airport for the night an wait for a flight next morning. I do not know of happy campers on this one!

• Cl
                  Cliff Barnes Aug 16, 2015

Wow, YOU were lucky. I had the same flight booked for 8/10/15 and it was delayed from 12:30 until 2:52, and customers received the email early that morning. When I showed up at 12:50, I and 20 others learned we were bumped bc we hadn't gotten there two hours before the ORIGINAL flight time, and we couldn't be flown to FLL for two days!!

Spirit Airlinesflight canceled

Congratulations for my worst experience ever Spirit Airlines.I bought a flight ticket 2 months ago to Las Vegas.

My brother and I were supposed to meet there. He is coming from Brazil today to visit me here, but because you canceled my flight and just gave the option for tomorrow after 24h of delay. He's going to be alone there. I haven't contacted him yet because he is traveling, and now Spirit?

Why can't you just put me in another flight from another company? 24 hours of delay? REALLY?? and about a car that I rented?

Who is going to pay the new fees because I'll be there after 24 hours?

WHO??It was my first and last bussiness with you guys!

Spirit Airlines — cancellation

Booked a trip by mistake thru Travelocity. I called and explained what happened and Travelocity promptly...

www.spiritair.comThey didn't warn me that my flight was cancelled

I bought ticket through the company www.spiritair.com. These jerks cancelled my flight and no one warned me about these changes. I wasted my time and money, but these jerks refused to provide any compensation. I have no idea how to get money from these scammers, so please help me. As well as post comments about your experience with these jerks.

Spirit Airlinesrefund for flight change

Letter I wrote to spirit airlines for my son. Their response was no refund. I find this appalling.
                    Y daughter-in-law has had to travel to the mayo clinic in rochester, minnesota since march 2014 for a clinical trial. She and my son travelled on spirit on saturday and were to return on monday. My daughter-in-law suffered some health problems while there and is now hospitalized. It is unknown when they will be able to return. When my son phoned to be check out how to change the reservation when catrina was able to travel, he was told he would have to pay $150.00 per person to change the return tickets. He even had a doctor's note.
                    I am appalled that an airline would charge under these circumstances. The costs they have incurred flying back and forth from dallas to rochester is enormous. They cannot afford an extra $300.00 to change a ticket. They are travelling every two weeks for the clinical trial.

This has caused unnecessary stress for them to endure. I am contacting you for my son as he is staying with catrina and does not have access to a computer.

Thank you for your consideration.

2 Responses
                      • Pa
                        Pam Bernardo Jan 22, 2015

Medical issues are difficult, and I'm sorry you and your family are going through this. That said, Spirit is very transparent about the fact that all of their tickets are non-refundable. Most airlines have multiple levels of airfares, and if you want it to be refundable, then you actually pay for that option. I'll bet your kids flew Spirit because their fare were much lower than other airlines. But Spirit also makes it clear on their website that if there is a possibility your plans would change - which clearly is the situation with your daughter-in-law - they encourage you to purchase trip insurance for $14. If they would have purchased the insurance, then they would have gotten a full refund.
                        Finally, it's not your dauther-in-law's fault that there were complications and she was forced to miss her scheduled flight. But it also wasn't Spirit's fault. It's very difficult for airlines to sell seats with less than seven days before a flight. That's why most airlines charge extra for the right to get a refund.
                        I wish your family well.

• Mk
                        MkStItCh Jan 21, 2015

First off... Sorry for your problems you and your family are having...

That said, I do not see why you are upset with the airline company. They have rules just like anyone else.

If your son went out to get something to eat at the same restaurant every day for 2 weeks while his wife was in the hospital and could not stay to finish the meal that was already ordered and cooked one day because he had to rush back to the hospital for an emergency... Should the restaurant not charge him for that meal???

OR

If he made reservations at a hotel and could not keep them at the last minute then should the hotel not charge him ???

Again, sorry for your issues but if he agreed to the terms of the airline tickets when he purchased them then he has to stick with his choices. It is not always someones fault that things happen.

Spirit Airlines — worst trip ever

Prior to buying our ticket through Spirit airlines we read all the reviews and had prepared ourselves for...

Spirit Airlines — false advertising

During a flight from Chicago to NYC, the flight attendant offered a credit card offer for 15, 000 bonus mile...

Spirit Air — possible bait & switch

They post low prices from Latrobe to Orlando. On three consecutive attempts to purchase tickets a window came...

Spirit Airlineslost luggage and extra fees

Our flight was delayed more than 3 hours, coming from orlando international airport. We were supposed to have a connecting flight to houston, tx and then final arrival was in lax (Los angeles airport) . Our luggage never arrived with us to lax! We were told we should have it by the next day, and we still have not heard anything. They only gave us one phone number where we can reach a live person, but they are not even the people located in the actual airport where our luggage might be stranded. When i ask for direct numbers for the spirit baggage services directly in the airport, the spirit airlines staff do not even have numbers to give other than the main corporate number. Then when you call the main corporate number, you are not able to leave detailed messages because you only get 15 seconds and then you get cut off. I tried calling again, and it said that their mail box was full and was unable to leave a follow up message! Then they give you a prompt to call the airport directly and ask for spirit baggage services. But again, the airports do not have the spirit direct number to lax and will only give me their corporate office number! It has been frustrating and the staff does not seem to know how to help other than they are sending an "e - mail" alert to all the airports. We paid extra fees because our luggage was considered overweight and then they lose our luggage. Very poor customer services but the poor services indicates poor management rather than from the direct employees themselves, and also indication of just poor training. I don't normally write "reviews" but felt it needed to warn future customers of spirit airlines. ** avoid spirit airlines. You end up spending more money because of their poor services such as lost luggage, delayed flights of more than 6 hours and extra fees that are not refundable**.

Spirit Airlines $9 Club Membershipunauthorized automatic renewal

I have been billed $59.95 for a Spirit membership that is unauthorized on my account. I never agreed to an annual automatically renewed membership with Spirit Airlines. My first, and last trip on the airlines was over a year ago and was the worse experience in my lifetime. I wrote a letter to describe the experience, service, 5 hour delay….and I never received the courtesy of a response.
                        I signed up for the $9 club and the details are deceptively unclear to the consumer and this serves as a financial benefit to the company. I will not donate any additional funds to this company and I will never use the service, airline or membership in my lifetime and respectfully request a $59.95 credit.