Having problems with Spirit Airlines?

Spirit Airlines reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Feb 15, 2007. The latest review Falsely marketed “elevated cleaning process to address covid pandemic” was posted on Apr 8, 2021. The latest complaint unauthorised charge of $69.95 and no way to contact customer service was resolved on Feb 01, 2019. Spirit Airlines has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 237 reviews. Spirit Airlines has resolved 52 complaints.

Spirit Airlines Customer Service Contacts

1800 006 1111 (Mexico)
+1 954 447 8010 (United States)
+1 801 401 2222 (US, Canada, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands)
+1 800 772 7117 (US, Canada, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands)
+1 954 698 0125 (Spirit Vacations)
+504 94 520 238 (Honduras)
+505 22 781 149 (Nicaragua)
+506 40 329 449 (Costa Rica)
+502 22 920 828 (Guatemala)
+507 836 7701 (Panama)
+503 21 130 326 (El Salvador)
+57 67 497 248 (Colombia)
+1 877 211 1546 (Jamaica)
+1 849 937 0808 (Dominican Republic)
2800 Executive Way
Miramar, Florida

Spirit Airlines Complaints & Reviews

Spirit Airlinescancelled flight and won't compensate for hotel cancellation fees

Spirit cancelled their flight 500 from IAH to ORD on Aug 3 2017 claiming "weather" - so they can avoid responsibility for anything. United had a flight at the same time, same route (UA97). They delayed one hour then flew just fine. We not only had a ruined weekend, but lost $200 for a hotel cancellation. Spirit hides behind the "weather - out of our control" excuse when other airlines flew that route/time just fine. They should compensate us for the cancellation fees and book everyone on the next flight out on whatever airline, but they did nothing.

cancelled flight and won't compensate for hotel cancellation fees

Spirit Airlinesbaggage issue

We fly with spirit 6 times a year fr nyc to fll. We have our own apt in
    Miami.. So we don't need suitcases at all.. Just some items to carry-on w/us.

On 07/04/2017 flt # nk524 my bag was a bit full & did not fit in the bin so I told the agent to call back my husband as his bag had empty space. By that time he was already after security so agent let me thru.. But at the gate e-9
    I transfered some stuff to my husband's bag.. My bag size was 18-13-x8...
    The agent at the gate called me on the loudspeaker & told me to insert my
    Bag in a norwegian airline bin twice which was only 16"long instead of 18" long bin.. My bag went in with difficulty.. So I asked agent to get a spirit
    Bin but was told it's not available.. It was a very big embarassment and was very rude in front of all my freinds & peers [iam 68 years old] also agent told me she will put on my file not to come with this bag again..

I feel I was treated unfairly & rude and I deserve some fair compensation for the behavior of your agent...

A steady & frequent flyer with spirit
    Leah c strulovic conf # b5msji

gingin1 Mar 27, 2018

A class action case is currently pending in Federal Court. Cox v. Spirit Airlines. The law firm handling the case: Hermina Law Group, [protected].

Spirit Airlinesspirit airlines puts minors at risk!

We booked a flight for our 15 year old son from LAX to DEN with Spirit. This would be his first time flying by himself. At the check in desk a very rude employee informed us that we would not be able to get a gate pass and would have to send him through the maze of LAX to navigate all by himself. Also, at the Denver airport, no one would be allowed to meet him at the gate. He would have been lost for sure or worse. We were informed that they consider 15 year olds adults. They made an exception and "allowed" us to pay an extra $100 (that they usually only offer for 5 to 14 year olds) to walk him to the gate. Why can't this be free? We will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlinesflight cancelled

My flight was cancelled today July 1, 2017, to see my family and kids. I only have 4 days leave from my work and this airline really ruined my schedule, my excitement collapse, replacing it with anxiety. After asking 2 different spirit airline booth employee; who did not help me, I went out to their ticketing area and a "not so nice" employee ask me "rebook to the next available flight which is monday or refund? If refund you can get it online"

I ask again, "is there a remedy for this concern, because i need to get to new york, not on monday because im returning on tuesday?" I just received a cold shoulder.

This is my first time with this airline and this will also be my last. That is why your airline is so unique. You wasted my time. Good job!

Spirit Airlineson requested a refund due to emergency surgery days before travel while on vacation

requested a refund due to emergrcy surgery days before travel while on vacation, March 30, 2016
          Travel date on spirit April 8, 2017 total $220.40 also paid for 2 carry on's

1. Mark R spilles e-ticket # [protected] DOB 1-9-52
          2. Connie J Spilles e-ticket # [protected] DOB 7-24-55
          We also paid extra for Luggage.
          We requested a refund due to emergercy surgery days before travel while on vacatiion. This surgery was very serious and Connie was in the hosptal for
          7 days and we could not travel only home to washington state to heal.
          We provided you with a Dr note with surgery date etc.
          We have not hear back from you regarding a refund.
          We have made several attempts to contact you and have not heard back
          please call [protected]

Spirit Airlines — unauthorized charge on my account

My name is Kenneth Siebert. On 06/09/2017 I had an unauthorized charge from your company in the amount of...

Spirit Airlinescancelled flights

With all the complaints lately with Spirit airlines, I hesitated to fly with them. Well I am so sorry that I did. Supposed to be budget, well you have to pay $10 for boarding pass at gate each way per ticket, so $40 for 2 people. Around $170 spent for 2 peices of luggage round trip. you are allowed 1 personal bag, as in a purse. Do not even give you a bottle of water. After all add on's, no way it cheaper. Ist leg of returning flight from St. Martin to FLL, was delayed over an hour, with some lame excuse. Arrive in FLL to a message that our flight was cancelled to Orlando, which was our final destination.NO EXCUSE. We were told we would be bussed 3 1/2 to 4 hours... Not even trying to rebook flights...There was an employee standing around screaming out messages for several different flights. Assuming the same thing was happening to them.. We rented our own car because the line was forever to wait on bus. Who knows how long that is taking. NEVER AGAIN SPIRIT AIRLINES.

Spirit Airlinesspirit airlines

Spirit Airlines continued to let us know that flight 954 out of Las Vegas was ON TIME as per their emails. The flight was scheduled to depart at 10:40. Spirit Airlines provided false communication by e- mail and text that the flight was on time up until departure time, when the flight was canceled at the airport. 1 agent attended to 300 angry customers. We waited 4 hours in the line and were only halfway to the 1 attending agent. No phone number or website address was provided to us to make arrangements for an alternative flight. We could not a. get another flight from spirit due to 1. our call being hung up on a phone number provided after a 4 hour wait. We called back and the phone was cut again. Therefore, we were unable to reschedule a flight. Passengers were told by Spirit that a new Spirit flight would need to be taken, however, this information proved to be false, as a few Spirit passengers (after a 4 hour wait) were told a different story and placed on additional flights. We received no service from Spirit, which purposely under-staffed both the telephone call center, and the airport. We then spent $1500 for an alternate flight with another airline. Later spirit employees repeatedly lied to us about gathering all our receipts and completely stopped communicating with us when we e-mailed the department of transportation. Spirit Airlines may be cheap but they are a fraudulent company. It was funny in a sad way that the 2 "support" people only were sharing their first names, and repeatedly lied about the reasons for the cancellation.

• Updated by ripped off by lawyer · May 26, 2017

spoke to the woman from the the department of transportation and she told me that she has been bombarded with spirit complaints. she told me that people feel ripped off by spirit airlines. she also told me it is not illegal for spirit to promise to cooperate on receipts and then later cease communication when contacting the department of transportation. I understood that if every single person with a spirit complaint, would take them to small claims court, then we could put this fraudulent scammy spirit airlines out of business

Spirit Airlinesunauthorized upcharge

I needed to change the time for my daughter's flight from Oakland to Seattle. The person from Spirit on the line said the charge would be $60. I found it necessary to call Spirit air once my daughter was partway through her trip and found out that I had not been charged an additional 60 but rather an additional 120!

Horrible serevice with people who can barely speak english and are even more difficult to understand. I will get my money back. It will just take time.

Spirit Airlinesairline ticket

They refused to honor a return ticket leaving me stranded in a foreign country, ie Colombia. I was booked for a return flight # NK 236 to Ft Lauderdale and then to Tampa NK 570 from Medellin, Colombia on Dec 27th and 28th. I was late for the initial flight because I was delayed on another flight from Cali, Colombia via Bogota. When I arrived in Medellin at the counter I was told that the flight had left and therefore my ticket was no longer valid. Both me and my Colombian wife attempted to contact SPIRIT there in Colombia and here in the states with no better result. Today February 18 I have finally had enough of their BS and filed numerous complaints. I paid $510 for the ticket and they left me stranded. Due to their extremely poor customer service I would never advise anyone to use this airline. If for whatever reason you have a delay they will not honor your ticket. I had purchased their so called insurance with the ticket and that was worthless too.

Spirit Airlines — unauthorized credit card charges

To whom it may concern, I just received my credit card bill and it has a charge from spirit airlines which...

Spirit Airlines$9 fare club

I was just (11/16/17) charged a renewal fee for the club without prior notification.
                    I request to cancel that membership. I would like the membership fee of $69.95 refunded, please.
                    It is a membership I don't recall signing up for, that I do not use and have no need for.
                    I have notified my American Express customer service and will put the charge into dispute, but would like to give you a chance to correct the situation.

Gordon Scot Anderson
                    [protected]
                    13915 Bald Cypress Cir.
                    Fort Myers, FL 33907
                    [protected]@aol.com

• Nk
                        NKS310 Dec 10, 2016

LOL. So you don't remember giving Spirit your credit card info? You probably signed up for the $9 fare club trial to get a discount on the flight you took with Spirit before that clearly states it will bill your card if not canceled before the trial period is up.

Spirit Airlines — unprofessional nasty personnel

I recently flew from Las Vegas to Ft. Lauderdale via Dallas/Ft. Worth. At the Las Vegas Boarding gate I wa...

Spirit Airlinesdamaged luggage

On our flight #851 from Detroit, MI. to Myrtle Beach, SC. on 9/4/16 departing at 12:25 pm, our luggage was damaged. Both the handle straps were ripped off. The tow handle base was broken and made it very hard to handle luggage at 45 lbs it was almost impossible to carry.
                      I am requesting for spirit airline to replace our luggage.

damaged luggage

Spirit Airlinesworst ever!!

I will never fly with these guys ever again!! This was the worst experience in my life. Spirit Airlines wants only your money and you'll have to pay extra for everything! That was the most uncomfortably flight you can imagine.
                        When I arrived at the airport and went to check in they said that I need to pay for it. I was shocked. They said that online check in is free but at the airport you have to pay for it. Well, I had no other choice so I paid. Then there was another surprise when they said that I have to pay for my hand luggage. What? I had a small backpack and they said that I had to pay for it! Are you kidding me?? These money hungry monsters - I hate them! The worst ever!

• Nk
                            NKS310 Dec 10, 2016

Wrong wrong wrong.
                            Online & the Kiosk (at the airport are free)
                            Should you need assistance from someone to check you in yes they charge.

How are you shocked? Spirit only tells you 4-5 times when buying the ticket that it costs money to check in with an Agent at the Airport.
                            Again I'm sure your "small" backpack was a large rolling bag or something like that. A personal item is free anything over that you need to pay for it. Also again they advise you of this many times.

• Mo
                            Morgaqn Jan 31, 2017

@NKS310 Yes I agree they are the worst EVER. This past weekend was my last time ever flying them ever again. I paid 39.00 online for my bag to be checked in and then I had to pay a additional 60.00 again for my bag. The weight of my luggage came to 55.00 but since they don't take cash I had to use this position that they have created to make cash change into a card and that was a additional 5.00 so that made it 60.00. So, over all for my whole trip I paid 377.00. And then they charge for you water, soda, snacks and they charge your card then also. We will never travel Spirit Airlines ever again. I waited 2 hours for my flight in Ft, Lauderdale. I got there at 6 and my flight was taking off at 8:30 I got to my gate at 8:27. I felt like O J Simpson running through the airport. My boyfriend and I travel back and forth at least twice a month but we decided to try Spirit out this time around. NOPE WON'T DO IT AGAIN. And not my luggage is stuck somewhere I can't get it and they are not answering the phone. YOU GUYS ARE THE WORST EVER!!!

• Mo
                            Morgaqn Jan 31, 2017

@Morgaqn The 60.00 was for luggage was going there and coming back.

Spirit Airlines — policies and customer service

Spirit airlines is the most horrible airlines ever. My daughter became sick in the airport she was so ill she...

Spirit Airlinespoor customer service and incorrect info provided

Scheduled on flight 713, (4/14/16) scheduled to depart IAH @5:45pm. I received 18 emails telling me the flight was delayed at various times. The last email stated flight was delayed till 10:58 pm. Arrived at the gate at 10:10. There was issue and the TSA was there to remove someone from the flight. We were blocked from getting on and then they closed the door and would not let us board. Then to add insult to injury no room and we have to wait 2 day to get the next flight!! Total bull!!! So this 'cheap' flight is costing me 2 nights in a hotel, meals and I hope I don't get fired!!!

Spirit Airlinesairlines

I had a flight out of tampa on january 24, 2016. I received an email on january 23rd with an advisory to call the airlines due to weather. This call was made at 11:00 p. M. On january 23rd. I was informed the flight was cancelled. They were not able to put me on another flight until wednesday, january 27. I checked the website early sunday morning and the flight for january 24 was showing on time. I called the airlines at 6:00 a. M. On january 24th and asked to be put on that flight. They said the flight was full. How is this possible. It is cancelled the night before and by 6:00 a. M. The flight is full.

Very dissatisfied with the service through spirit. They don't care about the passengers.

Spirit Airlinesthe whole thing

After my current experience with Spirit Airlines, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The seem to make their money by ripping off the flying public. After I made the reservation, I discovered to charges on the final bill that I did not owe. They tried to bill me 35 dollars for a carry on when I said no carry on at the reservation screen. The also tried to bill me $50 dollars for a seat up grade that specifically said $32 on the website. I called them on it and the did refund the extra $18 for the seat change but only wanted to issue a voucher for the carry on fee for a carry on that I wasn't carrying on. Then I discovered that the flight that I thought departed at 9:45AM actually departed at 9:45PM. When I tried to cancel the flight, they wanted to charge me a $110 dollar cancellation fee. Bunch of crooks running this airline. Never, ever fly on them.

gingin1 Mar 27, 2018

Spirit Airlinesflight cancellation/ poor customer service

If anyone flies Spirit Airlines, be warned that if your flight is cancelled they do not care nor is it their problem. I had a flight cancel 12/14/2015 due to weather. I do not know what weather they were referring to. I saw no bad weather conditions in the country that date. The weather conditions from where I was and my final destination was both great. Despite asking multiple times, they would not reveal where the plane was coming from and the weather. If you use weather as an excuse, then they have no obligation to help you with hotel or basically do a thing for you. They cancel a flight that is fully booked and do nothing to make sure you get home. A whole flight is trying to get on seats for the 2 flights out the next day and it booked up. In fact, they over booked. They do not care if it takes 2-3 days to get home. They offer you to go on the next available flight, which again, may not be the next day. Or you can get a half your money refunded. I landed up having to spend extra money on hotel, food and had to book on another airline to get home. It landed up costing me atleast $200 out of pocket. I was promised a different amount refunded on the phone and once home it was decreased. Despite multiple complaints, they refused to give me the extra $60 they promised me. They do not even offer you airline miles! Nothing!!! I complained to the BBB and they did not even respond. I have never had a company not respond to a BBB complaint. They honestly do not care about their customers. They figure their lower rates will keep people coming given if you are nickel and dimed. So if you fly them, have a plan B if your flight cancels.

• La
                                    LadyScot Feb 20, 2016

PS. You should always have a plan B on any travel, and weather cancellations happen with every mode of travel and with every airline, bus, or train.

• La
                                    LadyScot Feb 20, 2016

Due to the unusually warm weather across the country in December, many severe thunderstorms caused tornadoes in unlikely places. There were tornadoes down here in Southwest Florida recently too, and we do not get tornadoes. Weather in California or New York can impact Florida flight travel. When a flight is cancelled for weather, it does not have to be local weather. When a flight is cancelled, you are booked on the next available flight. Remember a full plane has to be reseated on another plane, that also may be full. They can not magically enlarge a plane. Sometimes, you have to wait, and if you are nice, they will book you on another airline once travel is back up. But only if you are nice about it.