[Resolved] Singapore Post (SingPost)personal data protection act - presumption

F Jul 31, 2018

On 1st Aug 2018 I made a call to discuss my VPost shipment. +[protected]
During the call automated options advise that continuing with the call grants individuals' consent to the collection of data. There is no option to continue the call without consent, in other words consumers are FORCED into consent.

Section 14(1) of the PDPA states how an individual gives consent under the PDPA
As good practice, an organisation should obtain consent that is in writing or recorded in a manner that is accessible for future reference, for example, if the organisation is required to prove that it had obtained consent.

The PDP Commission recommends that organisations obtain consent from an individual through a positive action of the individual to consent to the collection, use and disclosure of his personal data for the stated purposes. If an organisation intends to adopt the opt out approach in seeking consent, the organisation should consider the risks that it may not have satisfied the Notification Obligation and Consent Obligation.

I recognise that the individual here has the option to end the call, however I am concerned here that I am unable to perform transactions via telephone with SingPost without having agreed to give consent, therefore to use the telephone services to contact SingPost I am forced to agree. This is an unfair practice and discriminates agsint those consumers who do not give consent.

Accordingly I request that this be investigated and that consumers are given a choice with respect to the PDPA

Kind regards

Ian Richards

• Resolution Statement

• Singapore Post (SingPost) Customer Care's Response · Aug 01, 2018

Hi, Ian Richards. Thank you for sharing with us your concerns. Please allow us to look into this and we will get the team to address your feedback.