[Resolved] Sears - Extended Warrantyuseless warranty and broken promises!

Bought a Sears Chainsaw sping of '06. Also purchased the extended service agreement (maintenance warranty) as the salesman promised me it would "take care of anything that went wrong". After the ice storm in Jan of 07 I had several trees damaged and was clearing them with the chainsaw when it quit, and wouldn't restart. I took the saw to the local sears maintenance center, they shipped it off to the repair facility. I got advisory back to call the repair facility, which I did, they advised it would cost me 115.00 + to fix the chainsaw,(nearly as much as the original cost). It is still covered by the two year extended maintenance agreement until spring '08. The repair facility claimed "abuse" was not covered. How can one abuse a chainsaw? They said the cylinder and piston were "scored". How could that happen if it is working properly and the fuel mixture is proper. It would be hard to mess up a "use one little bottle of 2 cycle oil to one gallon of gasoline" instruction! Sears is supposed to send me all the information in an email for my review and further action. I am afraid they have just lost a very good customer. Their warranties have always been "the best" - apparently no more!!! Our house is full of Sears appliances, stoves, freezers, compactors, fridges, etc., etc., etc., because of their past outstanding warranty service. I had heard they had gone bad, I guess it was true.

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · Apr 20, 2011

Dear DCC-MLC,

I am truly sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had our repair service. I definitely know that can be frustrating. My name is Misty and I am with Sears Cares. I would like the opportunity to reach out and assist with any concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] so we can get this resolved for you. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number that your items were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (DCC-MLC) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Misty H.
    Social Media Moderator

• Sears's response · Jul 22, 2011

To Syracusan,

I'm sorry that you have a broken appliance and that you are having issues with your service contract. We value your business and would like to resolve this and any other Sears related issue that you might have. My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears. At your convenience, please contact our office at [email protected] Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the repair is scheduled under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (Syracusan) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.
    Social Media Moderator

• Sears's response · Jul 31, 2013

Dear Ms.Mary Lou Lozier, we thank you for taking the time to let us know about this situation. We are truly sorry to hear that you have experienced such poor customer service with getting a scheduled repair appointment for your Front loader washer. We'd like to speak to you about your experience. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the order was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Mary Lou Lozier) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.
    Dianne D.
    MySears Community Moderator

• De
    Debbie Griffith Jan 23, 2008

We too have had several bad extended warranty problems with Sears on 2 digital cameras. Our Daughter's camera had been sent off 2 times and needed a third repair and they said the camera was not in their records even though they repaired it 2 times. (After spending 45 minutes on the phone and having to talk with 3 different people and nothing resolved!)
    Our Son's camera just came back from repair and just found out the screen is not working and our warranty is now up, yes I will call today and see what they say, can only hope they fix this problem.
    Sear use to have a great warranty program, you could just drop off the item needing repaired and they sent the product off and called you when it was ready for pick up. We HAD great service contract on our video camera we purchased many years ago.

• Pi
    Pietro Jul 25, 2008

If you are planning to purchase a Sears Extended Warranty or Protection Agreement, just be aware that there are hidden costs that the salesperson probably won't tell you about. For example, if you have a problem with the item you bought from Sears (with an extended warranty) and bring it in to be repaired, Sears will still charge you $49.95 just to diagnose what the problem is. They claim that if, in their judgement, the problem with your item is covered under the manufacturer's warranty, they will refund you the $49.95. But if the problem is not covered under the warranty, they keep your $49.95 and will of course charge you for the repairs. Of course, it is at the discretion of their technicians to decide whether the problem is covered under the warranty. So if the problem isn't covered under the extended warranty and you decide not to have it repared by Sears, you are still out $49.95 Is this legal?

sammen89 Jul 28, 2009

WOHH!! Sears warranty's DO NOT charge a deductible up front just to diagnose a problem. (Manufacturers warranty's do)

Call 1-800-4-MY-HOME to confirm this.

But I will admit, Sears service department has faced some MAJOR budget cuts.. partly because of consumer reports (wrongly) bashing extended warranty's and Sears receiving less revenue and also because a falling economy forces the company to make some cuts. But the overall coverage remains the same and Sears still has the best service contracts... its just a LONGER process now.

• Se
    SEARS MA Sep 27, 2009

YOU BEAT THE CHAINSAW, YOUR KIDS ABUSED THE CAMERA. YOU EVEN SAID YOU USED THE CHAINSAW FOR SEVERAL YEARS UNTIL A BAD SNOW STORM REQIRED EXTENDED HEAVIER USE AND I SAY ABUSE BECAUSE NOTHING WAS MENTIONED OF EXTENDED HEAVIER MAINTENANCE, SERVICE OR ADJUSTMENTS FOR THE ADDED LOAD OF CUTTING UP TREE LIMBS AFTER ONE BAD SNOW STORM. YOU PROBABLY BOUGHT THE LEAST EXPENSIVE, THEREFORE SMALLEST CHAIN SAW.

christyb09 Oct 13, 2009

My boyfriend bought me a necklace that has a dragonfly pendant on it. The tail of the dragonfly has small diamonds. I loved it, however two of the diamonds on the tail fell out. He bought a warranty policy. I've only had the necklace for 11 months. Sears said that because I didnt bring the necklace in after six months for inspection that the warranty is void. Its in the fine print. Who actually does this.

• Pr
    praiseman Oct 20, 2009

I disagree with your statement that Sears has the best service contracts. We have experienced a nightmare trying to get our dishwasher repaired. We have talked to 41 different individuals from Odessa, to Pheonix, to Austin, trying to get it repaired. After calling on Monday (12th), a technician came by and discovered it needed a part. He ordered it and said it would be in Monday and he would be back on Monday to repair it. The part came in Saturday (17th). Sears called us four times to confirm the appointment...each time giving us a different date that they would be there. The technician didn't show (found out Monday was his day off.) We were rescheduled for yesterday (19th). Sears called to confirm the appointment for the 26th. My wife told them that was unacceptable and after many transfers, finally got someone in Austin that said they would be out today (20th) between 8 & 10AM. Guess What...NO SHOW. My wife called and found out we had been rescheduled for the 28th.

WE HAVE FOUND THAT SEARS DOES NOT LISTEN TO YOUR SITUATION...NOR CARES.

They transfer you to one person to another until you get tired of being put on hold and hang up. We had one indivudial hang up on us while we were trying to explain the problem.

THE PROBLEM: the dishwasher leaks. A simple valve (which we have received) will only take 15 minutes to install. The water is turned off at the sink, but the dishwasher keeps filling us. We have to drain it every two to four hours...even through the night. If we leave the house for any longer than that, we come back with the kitchen flooded.

This issues has been going on for 10 days of babysitting the diswasher. It will be another 6 days (if they even show up then) before the issues is resolved.

We have found out one thing: SEARS DOESN"T CARE ABOUT OUR PROBLEM!!!

What we have found out is that Sears uses A&E Technicians for their repair work. We were charged over $400 for the extended warranty. Lowes' sells the same warranty for a little over $100.

WE WILL NEVER BUY AN APPLIANCE FROM SEARS AGAIN!!!

We have only got the run around and individuals lying to us.

MY ADVICE ---- STAY AWAY FROM SEARS' WARRANTIES!!!

• Ti
    tired of sears excuses Feb 06, 2010

The best thing I can tell everyone that reads this is after buying alot of appliances and tools along with electronics from Sears over the last 5 years and purchasing their warrenties it is my strong reccomendation to keep driving right past Sears. Do not even think about their warrenties the hassles the service cancellations and rescheduling isn't worth it!

• Ti
    tired of sears excuses Feb 06, 2010

If you buy from Sears and they want to sell you a warranty, run fast. Try and get something fixed when their appliances go bad. Don't let them try and tell you that they will replace it if you have 4 repairs in a year. That use to be 3 but they knew they have a bad product line so they bumped it to 4. It takes on average 4-8 weeks to get repairs done to a washer or dryer. First after they cancel a couple of appointments over a 3 week period they come out to diagnois. Now they have to order parts and that is if they get the right parts sent to you. Now they have to come out to make repairs if that is the right part after they tear apart your appliance. See where this is going. After hours of lost work time or on the phone to schedule and after being disconnected no less than twice. How much aggravation is the Sears products worth? I recommend just keep on going to another store.

• St
    stoc1173 Feb 09, 2010

Looks like the same thing is happening to me with a Sears extended warranty. Last chapter has yet to be written, but our $2500 Kenmore Fridge (LG) issues loud pops and cracks intermittently day and night. 4 service calls so far... no fix yet. Here's the clincher, If no part is actually installed, it is not considered a "service call". For replacement, it has to be a functional failure, which means it doesn't work. Waking us up in the middle of the night with loud pops from the first floor, has nothing to do with functionality.

• Bo
    Bobby E Gillean Feb 17, 2010

This is Feb 17 2010 in Oct of 09 my Samsung 5o inch plasma tv started go off by its self and then pop back on. The repair man came out and placed an order for parts which arrived on Nov 5 09 and then in it went form there 3000 dollars in labor and parts and now in the middle of Feb we have no Tv and the parts have been back orded so we won't hear from anybody until Mar 2 and that does not mean it will be fixed. Somebody Help
    Bob Gillean Broken Arrow Ok

• Ta
    Tamara from Kentucky Jun 13, 2010

We bought all of our appliances including front load washer and dryer from Sears, a lawn mower and two flat screen tvs. We had had problems with more than half of them and will NEVER buy another thing from Sears. Our lawn mower has been repaired about 8 times and is broken again as we speak. Then finally after two years they agreed with us that is a lemon and will replace it but THEN realized that since we were in the second year of our extended warranty that we can only be refunded 1500 dollars. Their customer service is horrible. They have no-showed on appointments, cancelled service appointments after being scheduled for weeks in the summer when we NEEDED a lawn mower. We have spent hours trying to get this problem resolved but get no where. We have even contacted main headquarters and still had had no luck. Aside from our lawn mower, our washer's mother board went out after one load of laundry and has had to be repaired since then again in which we had to pay for it. Our dishwasher also broke and was repaired. This is all within 14 months of purchasing these appliances. My advice to anyone is to stay away from Sears, I won't step foot in the place ever again!!!

• Pi
    pissed off mark Nov 05, 2010

Years ago, I purchased a craftsman chain saw and the extended warranty. When it broke, I took it in for repair. They fixed it free but said it looked as though I had not mixed oil with the gasoline. Well I had.

Six months later, I took it in again and they said the repair would cost a few hundred dollars because I had not mixed oil with the gasoline. Since there is no "odometer" on a chainsaw, there is no way to gauge how many hours it has been run. So if you run it enough to score the piston, they make the claim that you didn't mix oil with the gas. Well this time, I had taken pictures of every time I added gas (with oil), so I filed a small claims suit. They settled and returned my "repaired" saw. It lasted only a month. I took it to a lawn mower store and was advised that it couldn't be fixed, so I should junk it.

I had a lot of junk to take to the scrap yard, but I wanted to remove all the plastic, so it could be recycled. So I used a pry bar and a hammer, to knock off all the non-metal parts. When the carburetor broke open, the gas filter screen rolled out. It was completely clogged, so neither Sears, nor my lawnmower shop, Simon's Lawnmowers, ever cleaned the filter.

I probably could have cleaned the filter myself, but by now I had destroyed the saw with my hammer and pry bar.

So I bought a Stihl saw and go to a different repair place and I have never had any problems.

Sears needs to have a major class action suit filed against them for all of their shady warranty practices.

• Ca
    cab5053 Jan 11, 2011

I had a very negative experience with a Sears appliance that needed to be repaired. It was an incredibly frustrating experience from the repair department to customer service. I have joined a class action against Sears and their corrupt practices. If you are interested in joining, email me at [email protected] Something needs to be done about Sears' outrageous conduct and we should be compensated for the money we have lost and all they have put us through!

• Fr
    freddie Roebuck Feb 05, 2011

I purchased a hot water heater in December of 2008 and purchased the extended warrantee at the same time. The heater stopped working in January 2011. After calling Sears 4 - 5 times and having them calling me back to reschedule I hired a plumber who fixed the problem in ten minutes. This is not the same Company that I remember 50 years ago. A word to the wise not only ignore tha extended warranty but purchase whatever you need from someone else. We are blessed to live in a country where we have many options!! I refuse to go without hot water for a week!!!

• Ro
    RobertinMI Feb 24, 2011

I bought a Sears Lawn Mower and it was supposed to have a warranty. Well, the wheels broke and I sent it off for repair. The repair office reported that the wheels were covered under warranty, but we needed a new spark plug, blade, and other items. They told me they would not do the warranty work unless I agreed to get the other items fixed at a cost. Well, I just put a new plug in it, and the blade was from the season as well. I ended up telling them to return the mower to me. I filed a BBB complaint and even wrote their office. My escalation went all the way to the corporate office, and they acted like this was all my problem and refused to fix the mower. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SEARS PRODUCT AGAIN!! Now I'm stuck with this piece of trash sitting next to my shed. I bought a new lawnmower at Lowes, and I haven't had a signle issue with it.

• Km
    kmorelan Mar 09, 2011

I bought the top of line riding mower and purchased an extended warranty at that time. I have had service done several times but last summer I called for the service because the mower was cutting on one side and the other was leaving quite a bit of the grass making it necessary to mow the same area twice or more. The repairman came out and tried to fix it but when my grass grew out I found that the problem was not fixed. This happened a second time and then on the third time I had him come out He tried adjusting the blades, put on another part and when I mowed a little with it the machine still left a streak of grass. He made the comment that he could do no more for me and left. I have "stewed" about this for several months and waited to write you now so I am settled enough not to use harsh words. I feel that sears woes me a replacement deck or a refund of the warranty price or something else but I do not believe you should ignore me completely. I am 76 and a cancer victim. I have used Craftsman tools most all my adult life due to the warranty on them. I believe that I have given sears great word of mouth advertising through the years but that Is likely to change if I cannot recieve some kind of satisfaction. Please reply

• Dc
    DCC-MLC Apr 20, 2011

I came across this while looking for a phone number to call regarding my push mower. I dropped it off for the extended warrantee repair. They called and said the cylinder was "scored" and it was not covered as "we should know enough to keep the proper amount of oil in the engine." My kids use this once a week to cut my office lawn. I am with them each week. The first thing they do is check the oil and gas. We have a Toro walk behind and a Toro push mower (which we bought when this one siezed up). They do the same routine with maintainence every week, along with a Spring tune up. We have all Sears appliances in our house. We replaced our washer and dryer with the new HE ones from Sears. Now, the clothes don't dry right and the washer shakes all over. They have been out several times to "fix" them to no avail. I grew up with my parents' using Sears all my life and I have as well. NEVER AGAIN!

• Sy
    Syracusan Jul 19, 2011

Albeit belatedly, like the others who have written before, I too have discovered the "Master Protection Agreement" is not worth the paper it's written on, nor the $159 you pay for it. After being given the run around for the past two weeks regarding a covered repair, I am now being told it will cost me $277. The attitude of the representatives clearly show this is systemic--hardly isolated or an aberration. The reasons they offer change with each representative I've spoken to. Here's my advice, BEFORE you purchase an extended warranty, just to see for yourself, contact the Sears reps at 1-800-4-MY-HOME, tell them you wish to avail yourselve of the MPA, then see what happens. For my part, I have no intentions of letting this go. Sears should be held accountable. I'll see them in Small Claims Court, if for noe other purpose than to establish a record. In addition, I intend to file a complaint with the State Attorney General's Office, so they can track such complaints, as well as the Better Business Bureau. Yes, this is all worth the $159 I paid, and the feeling of being railroaded.

• Ki
    kitten5150 Aug 02, 2011

I am currnetly 67 minutes into my phone call with Sears about our "free of charge" warranty that is going to cost us $129 to start. This is the 4th transfer I have been put on hold for...I will NEVER, EVER AGAIN, purchase something from Sears. This has been the most frustrating, difficult customer service experience I have EVER dealt with. I have gotten put off, transferred, told 3 different warranty expiration dates by all three people. I'm sorry I didn't realize that "free of charge" actually meant, costs me money! Apparently my college degree is totally worthless, I guess I can't even read!

• Al
    AllFEDUP Aug 23, 2011

$1300.00 Kenmore Elite gas grill bought in 2007. I called about the main burners (tubes) splitting out and there is one huge flame, not individual flames at what use to be individual flames ( out each little hole on burner tube) I explained they were lifetime warrantied since they were made of Stainless Steel. They told me I had to pay Sear Service over $100.00 to come out and verify they were bad before they would replace them. I explained that the cost of the replacement parts were around $22.00 each and there were 5 of them. I said the warranty didn't make since that it was obvious the tubes were defective and it was crazy that I had to pay $100.00 for inspection when the parts would only cost me $110.00. SEARS IS A RIP OFF! I have a house full of SEARS PRODUCTS and I will never BUY FROM SEARS again! A friend bought a Ducane grill, paid about $500.00 for it. Since he has owned it, anytime there has been a problem, he calls the manufacturer and they have taken care of him. They have been polite and curtious, unlike the evil people that represent SEARS. Since when did you have to pay a company to recieve warranty on a product they sell?

• Ed
    edddieluam Nov 01, 2011

I have problems too don't shop at sear no more I had a problem with an oven under warranty instead of fixing it they refunded my warranty!!!

• Wa
    Wayne Jan 06, 2012

We have all of our T.V.s and Appliances insured with Sears and have yet to have a problem with them. Over the years we have received a new refrigerator (because parts were no longer available for the old one) and recently a new stove because the seal on the oven door couldn't be replaced. The fridge was a side by side with ice and water in the door to replace an older top and bottom model. The stove was actually a $2, 000.00 credit which we used towards a dual oven convection model with 4 burners and a heating element.

All in all we're very pleased with their service. At least 3 of our T.V.'s have been repaired in the last 2 years alone.

• Qa
    Qavarvik Jul 06, 2013

We were scheduled for repair for our dryer through an extended warranty. It had been a little over a week, and that seemed reasonable. The Sears repairman did not show up on the day of service, even if we called that day and were told he would be here. I called to find out why we had a no-show, and was told that "the labor laws in your state will not allow our service technicians to work more than 10 hours of overtime." They then proceeded to say they would call to schedule a service, at least two weeks later. I have yet to receive a phone call. What a worthless product. Now, I'm wondering if we'll see a repairman in a couple of weeks, or if we'll get another no-show on that day too!

• Dy
    dyne Jul 17, 2013

From my experience, only people who get the unfortunate "bad apples" tend to go on sites like this and complain. For every one complaint here, there is probably 100 service calls that were performed without error, resulting in a very happy customer. Those customers don't think to go onto sites like this and "complain" about how good their service was. They, most likely, are happy that they got what they thought they were paying for, and just go about their lives. So before you go saying the absolute "never buy this", think that you might be cheating some people out of something useful to them by advising them to make a choice based off of your relatively small experience. Most of the claims of "don't do this" or "don't do that" are full of logical fallacies that I just can't find convincing.

For no shows, maybe technicians just straight up quit. Perhaps they get sick. Perhaps they get injured. From what I can see, Sears doesn't have the best method of notifying people when technicians won't be making their appointments, and sometimes it's actually the technician's fault. For example, lets say the technician took an extra 1.5 hours on 3 repairs in one day to go above and beyond for a customer to get their item repaired, but had a completely booked day at the beginning. That means that technician just spent 4.5 hours that he didn't have for the day. That technician is clearly not going to be able to make all of his appointments that day, and some will need to be rescheduled. Who knows what the reason is, but it is not logically sound to take something a technician does and then blame it on the company who hired him/her (instead of blaming him or her). Perhaps there's a good reason for your delay. No matter what you paid for your warranty, you are in line with hundreds of other folks looking to take advantage of it. They deserve excellent service just like you do, and sometimes that means some people get delays. This problem falls under the "you just can't please everyone" philosophy.

As for coverage, there are two types of agreement: Repair protection (sold on tools and water heaters as of 2013) and Master protection (sold on appliances, electronics, and mostly everything else). Repair agreements have a replacement limit of $1, 500, and that is right in the terms. Master agreements replace with a unit that is comparable, and never offer something that is "less" featured than you had before. This means your dollar amount can change. If you spent $5, 000 on a plasma television, obviously you won't need $5, 000 to replace that now as a better set only costs $1, 000. If you spent $1, 600 on a fridge and bought it during a heavy sale (usually getting you around 30%-50% in discounts), this is a different story. Appliances do not change in technology as dramatically as electronics do, and as such their costs remain relatively the same from year to year. Thus, a $3, 200 refrigerator (which you paid $1, 600 for due to the sale) might actually result in you getting somewhere between $2, 000 and $3, 000 for a replacement credit (if it needs replacing). This means that on Appliances (and on almost all non-electronic category products), you will be getting a guaranteed upgrade, both in dollars and in features. If you had a $3, 000 credit during the sale in which you bought the other fridge for $1, 600, you could buy the top-of-the-line fridge with your credit when you might have only bought a medium level product before. Definitely an upgrade. (The post by "Wayne" on Jan 6th, 2012 is a perfect example of this).

As for those mentioning deductibles...I have NEVER been charged a deductible. Not for a diagnostic. Not for a repair. Not for a drop off. Never. I've even called technicians out for things I thought were problems which turned out to be a "I pushed the wrong button and locked out my fridge controls" issue, or my kid "pushed some buttons and put my fridge in Demo Mode" issue, and I've still been handed my receipt showing the charges I would NOT have to pay for. Sure enough, the Master agreement covers Tech Support, which Customer Instructs fall into I guess. Perhaps some people get charged, and some people don't. From reading these posts, it looks like almost none of you have been charged for service calls that didn't end up provoking an actual repair (looking at the post about the popping fridge). Other plans and service agreements would charge you EVERY time you had a tech out there for the FULL service cost if they deemed it did not need repair. Sears didn't charge you. So it might stink that they didn't do anything to fix the problem, but at least you didn't have to pay for it. Think about how horrible it would be if you paid for the plan and then had to pay for those calls, too? That's what Warranties, Inc does (Best Buy's "Performance Plan").

For those of you folks who absolutely hate your Sears service plans, CANCEL THEM! You have the power to do so. And as stated in the terms and conditions, you have LEGAL RIGHTS to that service. If a TECHNICIAN did not give you what you have legal rights to have, then go up the ladder and complain. I doubt Sears trains their technicians to skimp you on service. It's safe to assume that, for a company that has been around so long, the small people who live within it probably train their even smaller workers to do an honest days work. It's the workers who choose to be lazy from time to time. Especially when not being watched (like technicians...). My advice for those situations of bad technicians is to go straight into a store, ask for a manager, and tell them your story. They will probably try and schedule you another appointment, but I assure you, if that one falls through (which I doubt it will), the store associates will get more and more involved with taking care of you. They don't stop til the problem is solved (contrary to the belief that they want you to just "drop" your appliance and not pursue service). This has been my experience. I've seen them give free air conditioners away simply because service wasn't doing what they were supposed to do in terms of their old one (granted this took a store manager, I think, but it still happened).

As far as cancelling goes, they give you 100% full refund period, after which is pro-rated. Your 100% refund period is the old term of your manufacturer's warranty. AKA: If you had a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, you have a 1 year FULL REFUND cancellation period where they will keep NOTHING. After that period, yes, it is pro-rated. But only on TIME, NOT on service. if you've had 8 repairs on your appliance and on the 9th repair they've finally fixed it, and they didn't give you a replacement like you were supposed to get, take action! If you're that upset about it, refund the rest of your term. Take your $1, 000's of dollars in repair expenses, call it a good investment, and refund the rest.

From my experience, when you deal with a company as big as Sears Repair Services (it's one of the biggest repair organizations in the nation), mistakes happen. Mistakes happen with every organization, in fact, but they are inflated when you look at bigger organizations because they handle more traffic. Some parts get back-ordered (from the manufacturer) due to sudden and unexpected need. Some parts aren't ordered in advance due to employee oversight. And yes, some judgements on abuse or non-abuse are misjudged (or valid, just rare).

I can tell you 100's of problems with service (and service contracts) through all the different retailers out there if I wanted to do the research, but I won't go there. I am going to tell you why I continue to shop at Sears and buy Sears products. Sears has something that I've yet to find at most retailers out there (if any).

This something is People. People I can go see on any day that will help me with a problem. Some people don't want to (commission based employee structure), but if they don't, their managers will. If my problem is that outrageous and causes me a headache or seems unfair, they will help. They will make the calls, send the emails, and even make on-the-spot adjustments or corrections if it seems fair enough. The bottom line is they will take care of me (and have before). I've shopped at many Sears STORES, and this trait is one that I often find. No matter the store, no matter the location, there is always at least one manager in that store that will sit down and take the time to get me a resolution. Whether it's a repair no-show, a late delivery, a rude delivery-man, a rude repair-man, a bunch of failed repairs, or even just a huge delay in service, they will hear me out and take care of me if they can.

Other retailers don't (usually) do this. I could stand at their "customer service" desk for hours, and I'll go through every associate in the store. The only thing I've ever accomplished is getting to hear 500 reasons why I need to call the number on the piece of paper they are pointing at, and how they can't help me. I did have one product that was exchanged, even though it was 2 days past the return policy. But when I tried to have a sound system repaired that shorted out, I was required to drive 50 miles to some repair shop that was "in the network" to drop it off. Little did I know that this place was going to charge me for all of the service, including diagnostics, take 8 weeks to complete this service, and then tell me to contact the warranty company for reimbursement. I've never had THIS type of negative experience through Sears--only other warranty companies. If one must pick the lesser of two evils, I pick Sears. The people I talk to would never send me on such a wild run-around to get something so simple repaired. I suspect the most complicated thing I would ever have to do is bring the system with me to the store and drop it off for repair or replacement (if it wasn't home service-applicable).

They own their own service, so they have some power in this matter. Other retailers don't. Other retailers contract the service out, which means the retailer themselves has very little power what-so-ever in making things happen. The contracted service company is out for profit, the same for any company, and there is no human I could walk up to talk to that might shift them out of "profit mode" a little bit and into "customer service" mode. Whether my receipt is faded or the technician simply broke my product further, all I'll ever get is an automated phone call system and some person, in India, who gives me long-recited responses to any concern I might have (vs the personalized response that says "I care").

Now granted I'm sure that, just from knowing the system a little bit, there will come a day when the people I see can't refute what the people above them have stated, which might just be that I'm out of luck. But for all the times that this has not happened, I'll say I've still been treated pretty good.

Mary Lou Lozier Jul 29, 2013

I purchased a Kenmore Front load washer and dryer on 2/07 with the extra warranty...have continued to purchase the Protection Agreement since.. The washer has of been "broken" on at least 6 times since the purchase. This last time was on July 15, 2013. I then called the number on the PA for service...they said a repairman would contact with in 24 hours...NOT...so I contacted them daily noting the name and time of each contact...on my phone call on July 26th did "Jenny" take 45 minutes to get it scheduled. The repairman called me the morning of July 27th a SATURDAY!! and is coming Tuesday...when I asked when the work order was dated he said on the 26th...that is 10 days after my first phone call!!! This is not rocket science...its customer care!!!

• Bf
    bfbenson Aug 15, 2013

Purchased Sear gas range, microwave, refrigerator, washer & dryer in 2012. Also purchase the 3 year extended warranty. what a waste of time and money. Today was the first time I called on my 1.5 year old Kenmore refrigerator that was leaking water inside and it appeared to be from the freezer. Had to put pots inside to catch all the water. When I called I was told that the first appt was September 3, 2013, 3 weeks away. Since I lived in a "rural" area, they only made calls twice a month. I am not in a rural area because I live in Emerald Isle, NC - 20 minutes from Jacksonville or Morehead City. I would have never purchased all my appliances if I knew about this lengthy service time. I was told this was not an emergency. Would never ever buy a Sear product again. I just got my Sears Card which I will cut into pieces and return to Sears. I think customer service has really gone to the dogs!!!
    Brenda Benson [email protected] Emerald Isle, NC

• Na
    NAN FRAN May 06, 2014

I PURCHASED A SENTRY WIRELESS HEADPHONES AND TRANSMITTER 4 DAYS AGO. WHEN I OPENED THE BOX A CABLE WAS MISSING AS WELL AS THE MANUAL. I CALLED SEARS AND WAS TOLD THEY HAVE NO MORE SO I COULD BRING IT BACK FOR A REFUND. I SAID I WANT ITEM AND WANT IT FIXED WITH MISSING PART. THEY SAID I COULD HAVE IT REPLACED IF I PAID THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CLEARIANCE PRICE I PAID AND THE ORIGIONAL PRICE. I TURNED DOWN THE EXTENDED WARRANTY THEY TRIED TO SELL ME. IT COMES WITH A 90 DAY WARRANTY WHICH IS WORTHLESS UNLESS I PAY MORE.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices