Having problems with Sears?

Sears Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 665 2127 (Sears Home Services)
+1 866 850 0518 (New Orders)
+1 877 550 9254 (Existing Orders)
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, Illinois

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Sears Customer Service. Initial Sears complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Sears above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Sears. Discuss the issues you have had with Sears and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

Sears Canada — poor customer service

Sears closed the repair depot in British Columbia's Capital City, Victoria, so all appliances must be...

Victoria

Sears Portrait Studio — prices/poor customer service

We recently took our son to have his picture taken at Sears, where he has been photographed since he wa...

Sears Kenmore Elite He 3t WasherPoor quality

My top-of-the-line Kenmore Elite HE 3t has been problematic since I purchased it in 2002. In Oct. 2009, it stopped draining. The Sears service personnel told me there were numerous problems with the washer, and repairing it would cost more than $1, 600 ($600 more than I paid for it). He also explained that the mysterious holes I had been finding in my clothes were being caused by the washer. Apparently the clothes were getting caught in a tear in the drum lining. This has been going on for years. I never suspected the washer was causing the problem. At one point I thought I had a moth problem and tried many treatments to no avail. I called Sears Customer Service, and their attitude was "out of warranty, out of luck." No one I spoke with seemed concerned that their top of the line washer broke down in 7 years and had been destroying my clothes. I even had one customer service rep tell me "everything tears up eventually."

Searsbad customer service and bad products

My siblings and I purchased a Sears Kenmore Refrigerator / Freezer from Sears 15 months ago as a gift to our parents. This last week the refrigerator part quit working. My dad Called sears and was told it would be at least two weeks before they could send a repair person to look at and repair it. Needing immediate action he called at least three independent repairmen to see if anyone would come out and fix the problem. He was told by everyone he contacted that they could not work on this product because Sears would not release the "codes" to the electronics, thus making it impoosible to service them. Sears has a monopoly on repairing it's products. Had we known this at the time and had we known that their repair services would be at least 2 weeks before anyone would even come and look at any problems we would have never purchased this product.
    A little history is needed here to show just how bad things have become. As far back as I can remember (I am 46yrs old). my family, parents, and grandparents have used Sears products and appliance. My dad has alway purchased and used Craftsman tools and equipment. My grandfather did the same. Some of my dads fondest memories as a child is getting to make the 60 mile trip into the city to go to Sears to make Christmas purchases, etc. This tradition has passed on to my generation. I will always remember going to the Sears store in Ft. Worth, Tx with my parents. The special treat was always stopping at the candy counter and getting the chocolate covered peanuts and maple nuts for my mother. We wore Sears clothing, we used Sears appliances and tools and yard and garden equipment. Always with no exceptions that I ever remember did we purchase any other brands.
    That has changed now. The customer service at Sears has gotten extremely bad. The products that used to last forever seldom more than a month or two out of the warranty before they break. A refrigerator should last for years. Not any more.
    It used to be that when you had a problem with Sears' products you could take them back or have a serviceperson out right away. Now you get put on a waiting list. It used to be that you could depend on their products to last for generations. Not anymore. It used to be that customer satisfaction was guaranteed or your money back. Not anymore. Sears is playing a numbers game with it's customers. They bet that they can beat you out of warrantying their products and you will just sit there and take the abuse.
    I would think that with this failing economy that the people at Sears would be interested in maintaining their customer base. It seems it is just the opposite. I know for sure they have lost at least three generations of business from my family and you can bet we will not be silent about this problem.
    Dear Sears, here's hoping you do not survive this economic crisis. Here's hoping you find youself at the same end of the stick that you so willingly place you customers.

C. Mason
    Texas

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · Nov 13, 2009

Dear C. Mason,

We are sorry to hear about the delay in service that you have received from Sears repair. I can assure you that we attempt to resolve all service issues in a timely manner and understand that you have been inconvenienced over the past couple of weeks. My name is David and I work for the Sears Cares escalations team and we would appreciate the opportunity to right this situation. At your convenience please contact my office via email at [email protected] so we can further discuss your concerns. Please provide a contact and the phone number the refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact) and we will call you at your convenience.

David V.
        Senior Case Manager
        Sears Cares

Sal Haider Mar 10, 2010

I have been purchasing Sears products for 30 years...this is the worst experience. Purchased a Kenmore 1hp Food Disposer (model #[protected] Serial # [protected]) and the following day had a 3rd party plumber installed it. The item was defective from the outset and I immediately called the Sears Warranty group they sent a technician who confirmed the lemon product. The nightmare starts now...2 hours on the phone with 6 different people and everyone kicking the can down the street...the result is that Sears will not pay to reinstall they will just replace the product...so for a defective item which is decidedly a LEMMON that I never used I will have to pay for re-installation charge...My advice is to not purchase any Sears product unless you intend to have Sears install it for you...unfortunately they do not say that in any of their documentation on the internet...As a result I will never buy a Sears product...

Sears / Sony HDTVfailure to repair

We purchased a Sony HDTV on 03May09. By August the picture had degraded to such an extent that it was almost impossible to see what was showing. On 24Aug09 we took the TV to Sears. On 24Aug09, Walt, working for a 3rd party contractor, Telesonic here in Cheyenne, came out, looked at TV, made a few simple inquiries such as is it always that way as when playing a DVD and was told all the time, even when the boys are playing video games. He said that he needed to order a part. On 10Sep09, he returned with a part and said that Sony would not provide a panel. The part did not improve the quality of the picture; TV reception went to zero. On 21Sep09, Sears repair service (From Ft. Collins, CO) came, used a mini-computer or other device, decided that other parts needed to be ordered, printed out a small receipt from their pocket printer, said that Walt from Telesonic had set the TV to cable in lieu of antenna, reset the TV to antenna, and left.
      During the ensuing weeks, sears, telephone [protected] called more than 2 dozen times. They would make an appointment for the repair people to return, then call later the same day or the next day and cancel the appointment. They would call and ask if we received the parts. When I told them, "No, we did not receive the parts" they said they would have to cancel the appontment until we did receive the parts. I told them that the repair people said the parts would be sent to their shop, but the telephone people insisted that nothing could be done until we received the parts.
      Finally, they rescheduled an apointment for [protected] hours on M02Nov09. At 1831 hours on W28Oct09, an automatic phone message informed us that they were to come today, Th29Oct09, between [protected] hours. We called the 800 number (above) and told that we could not have our scheduled apointment on 02Nov09 and insisted that we must have the appointment today. We figured that meant that Sears had no intention of doing anything, as we had heavy snow and wind yesterday with I-80 west being closed. The snow and winds continue today, and both I-80 north and south and I-25 east and west are closed, schools, the military base and just about everything else is closed. Sears knew that we were in the middle of a blizzard, yet they canceled our appointment for 02Nov09 and rescheduled the appointment for today in the middle of a blizzard.
      This morning my wife called again to inquire about possible repairs, talked to a Julia who claimed that UPS delivered the TV repair parts to our house on 13Oct09 and that someone at our house had signed for the parts and that we were liable for the parts. My wife insisted that no one in our house had signed for the parts and Julia then insisted that one of our neighbors must have signed for the parts and said we needed to check with our neighbors to see if they had the parts (in the middle of a blizzard!!!). Julia finally gave my wife the tracking numbers (2) and my wife called UPS, who informed her that yes, the parts had been delivered TO THE REPAIR SHOP!!!
      Doesn't Sears have even one competent person working for them?
      Don't their telephone people need to take some sort of training in customer relations? Rude, crude, lying behaviour is not appropriate telephone relations.
      Our TV has now been out for more than 3 months; we have been trying to obtain repairs since 24Aug09. Can some one help us get our repairs?
      At present, they have re-re-re-re-scheduled the repair appointment for 12Nov09, but we have no faith that they will even show up...

failure to repair

Sears Canadaincomprehensible pricing

In the recent Oct 24, 2009-June 18, 2010 sale catalogue, I discovered on page 86E (a small insert specific to Rob McIntosh china & crystal shops) article G - 'McIntosh' set of 2 watering globes. Much to my astonishment the retail price you have on this item is $39.99 - the identical product (right down to the colour of the glass globes) is sold in Canadian Tire for $9.99 (set of 2) or at Giant Tiger for $8.99 (set of 2). How do you justify such an outrageous pricing difference?

As a 30 year customer of Sears Canada this truly instills a jaundiced view of your fair pricing practices.

Thank you.

• Ri
            richcom1 Feb 21, 2010

I went to Sears to buy daughter a crib, on a scratch and win day. Did not find out till checkout time that it was not on the list of items for scratch and win. They have misleading signs all over the department stating about scratch and win, with no clarification of what is not eligable for discount.
            Instead of venting in here people, it is time to bouycot the store. Period. They once had more integrity that they have now. If they want customers, they have to refocus their methods to customer satisfaction, not disgruntled and dismay.

I hope you agree with my post.

Searspolicy re returning/ exchanging items bought on &liquidation&

Sears has copied Canadian Tire's policy of making returns/exchanges as difficult and surly as possible. This past weekend I wanted to purchase an item -a mixer- on "liquidation" that had been reduced to $209.95 from $309. At the cash I was told it was a final sale -news to me- & there was a 10 day exchange policy for another or similar product, but no refund -again news to me. Upon questioning this, I was told this policy has been in effect since Dec. 2008. I was further told that if I couldn't find a similar item; which had to be of same value or MORE, I would be given a credit note that HAD TO BE SPENT THE SAME DAY, IN THE SAME STORE. So in my case if the mixer proves to be unwanted - it's a gift- then I have to spend $209.95 immediately. What if there was nothing I wanted to purchase I asked. " Well, that is your problem" was the exact response. Also any further discounts that the store offers on weekend shopping "specials" no longer apply to "liquidation "items. Now I know why so many remain on the shelves.
          Spitting mad I called the so-called President's Line this morning and the upshot was that this is Sears policy to "better serve(?) our customers" I was told. If this is better service, pray tell what is poorer service? I informed the Sears rep that upon receiving our next statement our acc't will be paid in full & closed. This after 39 yrs as customers. The only response was "sorry to hear that and I have noted your complaint". This incident is the straw that broke the camel's back, We have had several bad experiences with Sears in Montreal -mall locations, as well as, the Whole Home stores- over the past 15 months & in each case management both here & corporate could not care less.

So, dear shopper, be vary, very vary of shopping and ask lots of questions. If the answers make no sense let them know and spent your hard earned money elsewhere.

Sears / Kenmorerebates

Don't expect to receive Sears rebates on appliances. I purchased a refrigerator and a diswasher on the same day. I was told by the saleman that there was a free delivery rebate on the refrigerator and free installation rebate on the dishwasher, both amounting to approx $149. Because I took advantage of zero financing on the refrigerator, I was denied both rebates because they were purchased on the same day as the zero financing.

If the rebates had been approved, they would have been in the form of a Sears debit card, not a cash refund.

• Dl
                D. Lynch May 08, 2010

Yes, I agree with you, I bought a waher and dryer. And was giving forms to send in rebate and paid cash for both washer and dryer. So I filled rebate forms this Febuary and never recieved any rebate. So I decided from now on I will go some where else. Sears, I guess does not need my money in more, so I will spend my money at a different brand store.
                D. Lynch of Hustontown, Pennsylvania

Sears Roebuckdefective design on 10& table saw

I purchased a SEARS 10" table saw for use around my home. It is made of thin plastic but served adequately untill suddenly making horrible noises and throwing sparks out of the motor. I disassembled it and found the ball bearings24c9c on the end of the armature of the motor was frozen. I borrowed a friends saw which is the same model and used it for a few cuts when it ALSO had the same symptoms! It's disassembly showed the same overloaded bearing frozen! Neither had been subjected to any unusual treatment or conditions, obviously the bearing is not up to the job and overheats. Since the rest of the saws is good, I'll have to replace the bearings and try to find one that's more durable.
              Sears power tools have gotten so bad that there is NO justification to purchase them over the much less expensive Chinese tools

• Valerie Aug 14, 2008

Two questions I asked of the Sears customer service people today 1) If a service tech comes to your house, works on an appliance, and then declares that it is repaired, is it reasonable to expect that it will work the first time you try to use if after he leaves? 2) In case it does not work, is it reasonable to expect that they will send someone back to finish fixing it that same day? They said yes to both questions, and then proceeded do just the opposite.

We got a tech guy from Sears to come and fix the oven. We have an extended service agreement. He told us that he had finished the work and then he left. An hour later we tried to turn on the stove top and after ten seconds, it shut down, with an error code flashing on the digital display. Multiple tries yielded the same result. A quick call to the service center resulted in guarantees that they would contact the tech and have him right back out. No one called us back, and there was no sign of help. We called again only to receive the same false assurances.

Next day, after multiple phone calls to various customer service people, the bottom line is they can't send anyone out because they don't service our area today. Seems to us like we had to go to the back of the line to get another appointment, even though the guy never finished the job on the previous trip out. Rather than them being inconvenienced by sending someone out immediately, as they should (maybe to work overtime), they are making us, the customer, suffer the inconvenience for their mistake. And the inconvenience is compounded by the fact that we have an elderly man living here, who is physically disabled, and this creates a hardship for us in preparing his meals. Not that this made any difference to Sears when we told them about it. They still did not respond by getting someone to get out here and take care of this. Not yesterday, like they said they would, and not today either. All we could get is lots of excuses as to why they could not get anyone here. Seems to us a long way from the philosophy that the customer is always right.

UPDATE -

UPDATE -- It turns out that the part, a computer board apparently, requires that another part be upgraded in order to make the stove top burner controls compatible with it. This part, however, was not included. The repair tech never bothered to check this out before leaving and he acted completely mystified when he discovered this on his return visit yesterday afternoon.

Nevertheless, I heard him call his office and request the emergency overnight shipment of the necessary part. He told me that it should arrive the next day (that's today) by UPS and that he would be back in the afternoon to install it.

Well, this morning we got a call from Sears customer service informing us that the part was NOT shipped yesterday, but they did not tell us when it would come. A call back to them yielded the information that the part is on back order, and there is NO prevision for when it will be available. And no offer was made to compensate or resolve the problem in the meantime (namely, that we cannot cook on the stove).

We are well into the second week of not having a working range here and Sears' efforts to help us have been totally unsatisfactory. At this point we may just go to Wal-mart and buy a hot plate so that at least we can fry something to eat.

• Ga
                  gama enterprises Jul 18, 2009

bought a craftsman new under warranty from sears and it does not work they won't accept it and are billing me 520.00 i only paid 225.00 for it and it doesn't

• Dl
                  dlakers Jul 18, 2009

this doesnt make any sense. There has to be more to this story.

• MZMICHIGAN Jul 26, 2009

If the item was charged you should be able to resolve with your credit card company and have them reserve charges. You can take it into Sears and they will sent the lawn mower out to be service at no charge to you if you have an service agreement. If all else fail call and speak with Store Manager.

• Ko
                  Koibito Feb 01, 2010

I purchased on-line an electric range and hood from Sears Roebuck & Co. on Jan 17, 2017. The range has been delivered after numerous arrangements and many telephone calls, mostly to foreign speaking persons who know how to say "I am sorry." The hood has not been installed. I am going crazy attempting to get in installed. I have already paid for this. Yesterday, 1/26 and installer showed up and asked: "Where is the hood?"
                  When I finally go hold of a person at Sears, I was told the installer had to go to the warehouse to pick up the hood, take it to the place to be installed then install it.
                  When I went to tell the installer, he was gone.
                  I later received a telephone message that I think was about the hood installation. Unfortunately, the person who left the message spoke so rapidly from a cell phone, there was no way I could understand the message. I have waited all day., Jan. 27. No installer. I have been attempting to contact Sears for the past hour and 15 minutes. I think their customer service is in a foreign country. The telephone line is horrible and I have difficulty understanding the English spoken. I grew up with a very good impression of Sears Roebuck Company. I certainly do not now. I need to have the hood installed. I cannot rent the property until it is.
                  The installers finally delivered the hood on Jan 30. After taking off the old hood, they saw it was ducted and the hood they brought is not. (The old hood is a Kenmore – Sears hood) They said they could not have known, nor could I, until they took the hood off.
                  I therefore ordered a new hood Jan 30. The woman who took the order said it would be installed Feb 1, 2017. I telephoned the morning of Feb 1, 2017 because the e-mail Sears promised had not arrived. This new woman told me the company that does the installation only now would have received the order. There was no way they could install it today, the day Sears promised. I cancelled the order.
                  So the next thing that happened: A telephone message from the installers wanting to arrange a date to install the hood. Obviously the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. I told the man I had cancelled the order.
                  Many many frustrating hours have been spent on what one would think would be an easy task: buying an electric range and hood and having them delivered and properly installed in a house. Again, I grew up with Sears as a solid company. Not now!
                  Sure hope I get the proper refunds!

Searsmissed 2 delivery dates!!

My wife and I bought a chest freezer at Sears in Sept. The first available delivery date was for 3 weeks later!! (our old one crapped out so we kinda needed it soon). So, my wife left work early to make the delivery time and she was greeted with a message from Sears saying "Sorry but your freezer never made it on the truck", so we called and re-scheduled for a week later. Again my wife comes home early and again there's a message, "Sorry but your freezer never made it on the truck". The delivery guy on the message said he could re-schedule (again) for Saturday, but there'd be an extra charge!! Well, that was it, we called and told them to cancel the order and refund the Sears card. No problem said the (actually quite nice) lady on the other end. Today (Saturday) my wife and I get home from breakfast with some friends and are greeted with yet another message wondering why we weren't home for our delivery time!!! We have bought all of our other appliances for Sears and have never had a problem, but this was just ridiculous. They say it takes a lifetime to gain a customer but only a minute to loose one, well, I can now safely say that this is the last time I buy anything from, or even set foot into Sears. There's lots of other places around that I'm sure would love to have our business.

Sears / Kmart — corporate policy complaint

I have been working for sears holdings for a while now. And I work at the kmart in fitchburg, ma. I am a good...

Sears Frankfort, KY — employee with theft charges working

There is a lady working in the Lawn and Garden section of this store which I know has charges of theft of...

Searstire service

The automotive department at Sears of Winchester is run by a bunch of people who have absolutely zero knowledge of tires. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Sandy to get 1 quote on a new set of 4 tires. She finally found a set; had me rush over to the store to purchase & install them before she left only to find out that these particular tires were sold the day before to another customer.

Sandy then states that she has a set of Bridgestones that are going on sale tomorrow...call back tomorrow to get the price. I call back the next day and get that [censored] Sandy again and spend 45 minutes (no lie) waiting on the phone while she tries to figure out the sale price of these tires.

The price is good on the Bridgestones so I decide to buy them. Drop my vehicle off and when I get it back, I have 3 large, long scratches that run most of the length of the driver side of the vehicle. 3 months later, I'm still trying to get sears to pay for the damage done to my vehicle while in their possession.

One of the four tires that I replaced has been leaking air pretty bad (about 5lbs every 2 weeks). I've been afraid to take my vehicle back to Sears to have it repaired. When I first noticed the leaky tire, I contacted Sears and spoke to Debbie. I told her that the tire is leaking at the bead because it wasn't cleaned/sealed correctly. Her response was that I haven't properly taken care of the tire! Another $25 to fix a problem that Sears created...no thanks! F..them!!!

Stay away from Sears Automotive of Winchester, VA. Their motto is what we lack in automotive knowledge we make up for with terrible service!!!

• Un
                      Unsatisfied Sears Customer Oct 20, 2009

You really don't have any avenue for complaints with Sears. It's super-secret information to find out who the district managers are and good luck getting in touch with anyone outside the store who has the leverage to fix a problem. Sears employees have free reign without fear of repercussions.

Sears Auto Center — an appropirate handling of service issue

I am responding on behalf of my mother-in laws compliant. She went to The Sears Auto Center located at 4720...

Sears / Kenmorewasher broke

Bought a washer and dryer for daughter in Tennessee I live in NY. Used my sears credit card. Washer broke down after 2 months and repair preson clueless said it was the timer. 1 week later the part comes to daughters home and then the guy said there was another part behind that one that was broke and it will be another week. I make phone calls up to corporate and speak to a Mike who said I would be gettin a new one on Saturday that was another 2 day wait. Well these idiots ( thats being nice) sent a dryer. More phone calls and it will be Tues. If I could I would of reached threw the phone and punch the rude woman Meagan. I now have to wait for Monday to speak to corporate and will expect a refun of some sort will pay the 300 left and then cancel the card or might just tell them to shove the washer and dryer and go elsewhere. Will never ever buy another thing from Sears and will never recommend them. No wonder they have finanial problems

Sears Photography Studio — rude employees in sears

there are two employees there that are extremely un professional in front of my wife and children, we called...

Sears Outlet — sears delivery screws up, promises refund but never delivers on promise

Summary: We bought a fridge and the delivery was rescheduled three times. after numerous complaints to...

Sears Battery Diehardquality, warranty

Battery 'Diehard BAD QUALITY, Sears did not keep warranty terms and free service change battery ' in the my car
                      Ferst battery gold put 11/05/2005, second visit 02/19/08 toexchange new battery and I pay $13.90.
                      02/18/09 next visit battery exchange new.
                      10/13/09 next visit battery dead, sear want the exchange new battary $56.06+tax and manager Bill tool me about the best quality battery Diehard??????
                      10/14/09 Oleg, Toyota 2002 Solira
                      [protected]@hotmail.com
                      cell7325515833

• Mi
                          michray1 Dec 30, 2009

You either have a problem in your vehicle that is killing batteries or you are the MOST UNLUCKY PERSON IN THE WORLD to have 5 batterys go bad. GIVE me a Break! most battery manufacturers have a warranty rate around 3 percent (3 out of 100 go bad) I could maybe understand if you bought all your batteries at the same exact time (odds are they were produced on the same production line, and maybe Joe Schmoo had a bad day at work that day) but you bought them all at different times so your odds of getting 5 bad batteries is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 in a million! Get your car checked out! Stop wasting Sears Time and Money!

Sears / Kenmorerepair appointment

On Friday, October 9th, I called the Sears service repair center's toll free number to schedule an appointment for my Kenmore washing machine which had developed a leak. After talking to the representative about my service needs, I was convinced that I had an appointment for the following Wednesday. Since I had originally planned to ask for only a half day off, I requested the latest appointment available. The representative assured me he would note that on the appointment request.

On Tuesday, October 13th, I called the service department to let them know that the repair technician could come as early as needed since my administrator agreed to let me take the whole day off in order to get my washing machine repaired. I was shocked to discover that my appointment did not exist according to the repair department.

After talking with a second representative and being told repeatedly that she was "sorry for the inconvenience" and the next available appointment was October 21st, I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor with whom I spoke was Jane Chavez (35698). Again I was told that the service department could do nothing even though the supervisor confirmed that according to their own records I had called on the previous Friday and had spoken with a repair department representative. It seems obvious to me that a repair was requested. Why else would I call the service request number specifically? When I asked her to review the tape recorded message, she informed me that it would take time to do that. Even though I had been on the phone with the repair department for more that 30 minutes at that point, I offered to wait. She said it would take too long.

At that point I requested either an appointment on the day I originally made other arrangements with work in order to be available or a discount for a later appointment if that date was truly impossible. She repeated that no appointments were available and that she did not have the authority to authorize a discount.

In essence, I am very disappointed with the service representative who should have correctly scheduled my initial request for an appointment. Now I will have to request an additional day off and wait another week for my washing machine to be repaired. I am not pleased with the supervisor either. Although she remained calm, she offered me empty apologies. As a returning customer of Sears, I expect to receive better service. I made the appointment in good faith, yet I am the person who is frustrated and inconvenienced because the service repair department employee did not do his job correctly. If the Sears repair department could not honor the original appointment date, I think they should compensate me in some way for their representative's error. I would much rather have my appointment, but something should be done to atone for my trouble.

Sears / Samsung 32 In Flat Screen Tv — overly lengthy tv repair, poor customer service

I am now in my 5th week of waiting for a part for my 14 month old Samsung 32 in. flat screen tv, covered by...