Vanilla Visa Complaints & Reviews

Vanilla Visagift card

My husband gave me a Vanilla Visa gift card for our anniversary. It had a balance of $200. I immediately registered it online because I thought it would be more secure that way. However, I was wrong. My card was hacked and somebody spent almost the entire amount, leaving me with $3. At the urging of a Vanilla Visa representative, I had my card "frozen". Even though the account was supposedly frozen right away the money is gone. I discovered the company where the fraudulent charge occurred and even have the transaction # but can't get anybody to help me. Vanilla Visa said they would send me a digital form to fill out but that was over a day ago and they still haven't e-mailed it to me. I have called them twice. This isn't right. They need to better secure their system and they need to have better customer service. When you call their 800 number, you get people with thick accents who couldn't care less about helping you. I would recommend that you NOT buy Vanilla Visa gift cards!

Vanilla VisaRefused card because of low balance

II received two Vanilla VISA gIFT cards for my, One for Christmas and one for my birthday?.I went to use one last month at a dept store and the salesperson said, I did't have enough money on the card to pay for my purchase|. I was so embarassed;. I will tell all my children and friends never toget this type of card for me again'. I called your customer represenative and they hung up on me|. So sorry that you do not care for your customers?. do not believe that both cards are no good for me to use because of all your fes:

• Va
    vanillacarduser Jun 25, 2012

I agree, don't buy these cards. My card was used fraudulently – it’s a clear case of fraudulent activity. Vanilla Visa is putting me through a run around to claim back the money, which I refuse to do. Write a dispute letter, wait for a dispute rep to call, could take up to 90 days to get the money back! This is ridiculous….I will never buy these cards as gifts, and they can keep the money!

Vanilla VisaCrads use that is not even in the fine print

Use of gift cards is always an interesting experience but there was a detail that was left out of even vanilla visa fine print and we did not find out that only 83% of the balance that was on the card was going to be available for use when we were checking out of our hotel in Hawaii (very embarrassing). The remaining $17.00 would not be available for use until 14 days after the initial hotel charges were made on the card.We spent over an our on the phone attempting to contact customer service and get through the multitude of computer voice instructions only to be put on hold until someone who could tell us about the hotel use clause could tell us that a percentage of the card was blocked but did not know what percent.
Thankfully we had a VERY patient hotel desk clerk who took the time to go dollar by dollar until we found an amount that would be approved on the card. Unless I am given one of these cards as a gift (which I hope not to be) I will not purchase them again as they are impossible to work with.
To note however we also traveled with the American Express Gift cards and other than finding a couple of merchants that would not take AE at all we had no trouble using them and found them to be a little more liquid and safe than travelers checks.

Vanilla VisaIncomm

Vanilla Visa is a rip off. They have in larger letters on the front of the product "No Fees". They hand on the rack amids other no fee gift cards. Once you buy it, you are hit with a $4.95 fee. When you try to return it, in my case immediately, you are told it is not possible to back it out. In tiny letters on the front of the package, it advises of the $4.95 fee whereas "No Fees" is written in large letters with smaller letters saying "after Purchase". The design was made to rip off so you buy several smaller denominations only to give them more fees. $4.95 for a $20 card is usury. And they won't tell where they are really located because the clerk said they are afraid of retaliation! Ain't that something!

Vanilla VisaStole my money

Vanilla Visa is a perfect rip-off! I received 2 $100.00 gift cards
for my wedding . We decided to use these cards to see that one
card expired and the second was only good for $25.00.
There is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE and WE THE PEOPLE should
be Protected from such BS. If someone in Fortson Ga.could
locate their Place of Ripping the Attourney General should
Step In Tom B. Mass.

• Di
    didi8065 Apr 13, 2010

you can file a complaint with the BBB as a start, here's the link to Vanilla aka Mio Card

• Co
    complvanillavisa Jan 23, 2012

I've got 7 dollars left on my account and i couldnt buy a 6 dollar item. I go home and check my balance, and it says they cant find my card. Im guessing vanilla visa does this for everyone and that is how they manage to keep their company afloat.

Vanilla VisaAccess to the money and customer service

I have received a Vanilla Visa Gift Card twice. About 6 months ago for my birthday, and just recently for Christmas. Both times there was trouble using the money on the card. This card is a gift of frustration. Whoever you give it to will have to jump through hoops and end up no where! Eff Vanilla Visa!!

• Vi
    Visa insider Jun 22, 2011

Ok so there is no scam from visa on this one what is going on is there is a small ring of thieves going around stealing the cards and replace them with other cards that were not meant for that package and some how sealing them back up and waiting for the package to be scanned and then the cards being activated and the money being stolen off of these cards. I know this cause it happened to me personally.

Vanilla VisaMisleading/Fraudulent Info

How do you get a REAL person to respond to a complaint -- and at what number? All I see is the "automated" response number. I received the Vanilla Visa card as a gift in March...then misplaced it. I found it in early June and tried to spent it at J.C. Penney's. I literally ripped open the paper coat, handed it to the clerk...and she said there was only $3.56 on the $25 card! It had only been 3 months (not 13 mos. wherein they deduct $1.50/mo. like the fine print says)...it says "Your balance never expires, " neither is it an "expired card, " so what gives? How do I get a real person...and get it re-instated?? I can go to Penney's and get a manager on the call, if need be, as I remember the clerk.

• Di
    didi8065 Apr 13, 2010

• Ry
    Ryan Thompson Apr 03, 2011

i just put $500! dallors on this vanilla visa card. and went on amazon ebay and a couple of other places and it said its declined. so i called the 800# on the back of the card and it asked me over and over again to put in my 16 digit card number, my expiration date and security code but no luck. I WANT MY 500 DALLORS BACK!!! THIS IS ###ING ###! THIS CARD IS A SCAM

• Su
    Sunnito1 Apr 26, 2012

I bought two vanilla visa cards last year for Christmas and they never worked, I keep getting new ones and they dont work, its been
    four months and I can't get anyone to straighten this out! Never buy Vanilla Visa Cards

ChristmasCoal Dec 31, 2013

I got a Vanilla Visa Debit Gift card that's supposed to work like a visa credit card. My mom is a single parent and she put all her savings into getting me a gift card. It was rejected and wouldn't activate. My uncle tried to call customer service, but he was hung up on all the time. They gave him other phone numbers that had only recordings. Brooks Smith CEO and President of InComm is a crook and should be in prison. Brooks Smith is a scammer. The people coming here to write positive things about Vanilla work for the company. Vanilla Visa is a fraudulent illegal deceitful enterprise.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices