Qantasterrible customer service

R

I booked a single ticket from the Qantas website for travel between LAX and Auckland on 8th June 08. This cost US$1261, which was paid for immediately on my debit card. I wasn't too happy at the thought of traveling with Qantas, as I have had problems with them in the past, but price governs much of our activities nowadays. The following day, having found a considerably cheaper route, I decided to cancel the Qantas ticket. I had to contact their Australian office (there is no other option if you live in New Zealand). I was told the charge for canceling would be US300 and would take 2 weeks to be credited to my account. I waited for a month but no refund arrived. I tried to contact their Australian call center again on several occasions, but the waiting was never less than 15 minutes. After a month, I managed to get through after being on hold for 25 minutes, where the totally rude operator hung up within 10 seconds. I rang again, waited another 30 minutes before being told that I would have to speak to their US office at a time when they were awake (due to time differences). I duly rang again at 8am the following day, when I was eventually put through to the US office, only to be told that they were only beginning to process refunds from 5th MAY! Working on the Qantas timetable, that means I am unlikely to receive my refund (less their US$300) for 3 MONTHS. I wish I'd had the option to wait for 3 months before paying them. Never again, Qantas.

• Updated by Phil Abernathy · Oct 03, 2019

Even the complaint registration page does not work well!!!

• Pe
    penskate Feb 01, 2020

• Ph
    Phil Abernathy Oct 09, 2019

The Qantas website is one of the worst airline websites I have ever visited. I am a gold Qantas member and every time I make a booking there is something wrong and it also takes ages to load the pages and seat reservation page especially.

Please is this digital day and age...this is the heart of your business. Get it right!

• Bw
    bwjones May 08, 2019

Qantas have to have the worst customer service I have ever experienced.
    Absolutely no responsibility taken for lack of communication and totally unwilling to help in any way, blaming travel agencies and claiming that the agency is the customer not the people traveling.
    we will never fly with them again and will advise others not to do so.

christos32 Oct 16, 2011

As a travel agent I can tell you that every airline can take up to 12 weeks to process a refund. However Qantas shouldn't have told you that the refund would be 2 weeks.

Matt Dec 09, 2008

I travelled with qantas on the same route a few days later...I noticed that; closer to the time, there were better deals, but decided to travel with Qantas anyway.
    I had to ring them, as I had a query, but hung up after an hour! I know what you mean when you say it's impossible to get through.
    While their cabin crew were great, the only reason why I flew with Qantas was because of the way Air NZ was treating their chinese staff at the time that I booked. It was either that or Qantas and they seemed the lesser of the two evils.

• Mi
    Michael Jul 17, 2008

You do have the option to book and pay later (up to 1 week before you leave).

But make this your last time with Qantas, they are a terrible airline. Not worth the hassle