Having problems with Qantas Airways?

131 313 (Australia)
1800 227 4500 (USA, Canada & Mexico)
1800 556 135 (Ireland)
800 122 0337 (Argentina)
800 892 3346 (Brazil)
1800 1611 0267 (Philippines)
+44 845 774 7767 (United Kingdom)
+64 800 808 767 (New Zealand)
+43 15 877 771 (Austria)
+32 27 006 781 (Belgium)
+45 43 314 976 (Denmark)
+31 202 035 425 (Netherlands)
+7 495 641 5121 (Russia and CIS)
+34 915 421 572 (Spain & Portugal)
+41 445 111 237 (Switzerland & Italy)
+852 22 988 111 (Hong Kong)
+60 327 133 911 (Malaysia)
+966 114 772 228 (Saudi Arabia)
+65 64 157 373 (Singapore)
+27 214 273 128 (South Africa)
+82 27 776 871 (South Korea)
+66 26 326 611 (Thailand)
10 Bourke Road
Mascot, New South Wales
Australia - 2020

Complaints & Reviews

horrble customer services

I flew Qantas/LAN Chile from Santiago to New Zealand Nov. 26th. Because the Auckland airport had problems, our flight was diverted to Tahiti, and only arrived in Auckland some 30 hours late. This is not why I am complaining. Flights get delayed. Customer services in Tahiti (information, etc.) could have been better, but I recognize the difficulty in such an operation.

My complaint is relative to services once we finally reached Auckland. Business class passengers were given an envelope with connecting flight bookings. Economy passengers were told to consult a list after leaving the plane. There were less than 20 names on the list, and mine was not on it. I asked the LAN representative there what to do and his answer was "Go to the domestic terminal and fend for yourself." Totally unacceptable! I did go the the domestic terminal, where of course they knew nothing about us and wanted me to go back. I finally managed to summon the pity of a Jet Blue person who took care of my connection despite the fact he had no reason to do it.

I sent an e-mail complaining on Nov 28th (the day this happened, C/467174) to LAN and Qantas Dec. 1st. Qantas never answered. On Dec. 17th LAN answered, but the response only explained why the flight was delayed (which was never an issue), and even stated incorrectly that the connections were taken care of. Called the LAN center and was connected to the person who generated the e-mail (Hugo Schnake), who promised a new specific answer in a week. I got none until today (Dec. 28). Phoned again, and was told I either could be connected again to Hugo Schnake (which would be of no use) or file a new complaint and wait 15 business days for an answer!

How can you get an airline to own up to a mistake?

Novianto Sep 02, 2018

Hi,

My name Novianto. I did booking on tuesday night, and pay through help from chat live with qantas, and the staff said I'll receive an email, but till today I haven't received any email. I try to resend from login through website but an error keep happening.
    My booking reference is MNYKDL.

I'm looking forward for your reply.

Thanks
    Novianto

M Suleiman Sep 02, 2018

I travelled from Dubai to London on Qantas Airways Flight No: QF 9 operated by Emirates Airlines on 19.09.2017.
    My baggage was damaged and reported to Qantas Airways, asking to provide the PIR report on 3 attempts, Ref No: 2017/221044. I did not received any response from Qantas. I need to get the PIR report to submit it to the travel insurance.

• Df
    dfghfhfgjhfgj Nov 05, 2018

Qantas phone response is nil; I have just wasted 30 minutes (and 0845 numbers cost 7p a minute in the UK) hearing rubbish Qantas publicity. Qantas must have a policy not to pick up, top simply ignore. They appear to take no pride in customer service.

Chris Notnagel Nov 11, 2018

Quantas employee, Jenny Hyde posting offensive comments on facebook re Donald Trump and Pauline Hanson. Her profile shows she works at Quantas Australia and her conduct puts the image of the airline in disrepute.

qantas valet theft

I was suspicious of qantas valet service in sydney the past couple of times I travelled. In this case I...

Sydney Airlines

check in staff service

I recently flew with my wife, two infants and a child from Perth to Sydney for a holiday and back (reference 3OP8OD). Being our first flight with 3 very young children, in order to help make the trip as pleasant as possible, I took the effort to ensure that we requested 2 bassinets and called to enquire about what to do if we do not get appropriate seating. I was told that we have been given priority and if we do not get appropriate seating, it will be resolved when we check in. Fortunately, the flight from Perth to Sydney happened as we were advised and I am very happy with the seating we had. In fact, during the check in procedure, I learnt from the very helpful staff on duty that, if there was any issue with the seating, they are able to call on other passengers to reallocate seat to help the situation. Unfortunately, this pleasant impression of Qantas’ service has been marred by our flight back to Perth. Only when we were checking in, did we find out that there wasn’t any bassinet available and to make matters worse, our 3 seats was not at the bulkhead, where we could at least have more room for the infants, but at the back in cramped conditions. The check in staff was reluctant to help even when we asked if she could do anything since we learnt that they are able to reallocate seats if necessary. To make matters worse, she took us for fools by suggesting that it is our own fault. I.E. when we asked how there could not be bassinets, she said that we should have known because we book the flight ourselves. But when I said that we were not advised of the situation when we made the request for bassinets, she simply replied that they would have known which plane would be used for the flight. Clearly, her two excuses are contradictory as she was not in any way interested to assist us. This was further exacerbated when I requested for a fragile tag to be put on our pram (which we were checking in as oversized baggage) because a part of it was broken on the flight from Perth to Sydney. She was reluctant and simply said that they know what it is and the fragile tag is not necessary. But I when I asked that why then was it damaged on the flight to Sydney, she simply said that it because is not a normal luggage. Her answers confound me. It seems to infer that any issue that arises is the customer’s problem. In the end all 5 of us had to contend with the cramped seating at the back which caused undue stress to my 3 children resulting in much crying (the flight from Perth to Sydney had hardly any) Needless to say, the stress was further compounded by the reaction of other passengers around us. All these could have been much alleviated if the check in staff had been willing to assist us on the seating issue instead of treating us like fools.

• Qu
    questionss Sep 09, 2010

oh no..really sorry about your experience..try to readress to the airline direct..hv you tried?

• Wa
    wazza Sep 10, 2010

Yes, I have made a formal complaint (online) almost two weeks ago. But all I have so far is a response saying that they have received my complaint. I am not sure if there would be any serious investigation into the matter.

why can't qantas refund me for something which was clearly a mistake

Booked a flight for my family of 5 pax online and after putting in my credit details, it tried to verify and after a long pause, showed an error page. So I had to restart the booking and managed to complete the booking the 2nd time. The shock came when I received my credit card bill and it appeared I was billed twice for 2 bookings. I tried to call qantas to refund the duplicate booking but not only did they refused, they were rude and unhelpful. I could only get a credit voucher which can be utilized by the same names booked. My issue is, why can't qantas refund me for something which was clearly a mistake and even if they give me a credit voucher, why must it be used for the same 5 travellers? It's my first time with qantas and prob my last. And they can be sure I'll spread the word around!

engine not working

Well, my story is about QF 975 Townsville to Brisbane Yesterday 15th February 2010. Just imagine...we've just boarded the flight, taken our seats, buckled in and the doors are closed and the pilot comes on the loud speaker and says something to the effect "Welcome onboard flight 975 to Brisbane, just to let you all know that one engine is not working. Therefore, we are going to start one engine here at the gate and you will all feel some shuddering, then we will push back and jump start the second engine as we have no power to it as it is broken. Other than that it will be a normal flight to Brisbane."
Well helloooooo!!! This is not normal...The plane is in desparate need of repairs and they have boarded approximately 100 passengers and jump started the plane to get it in the air.
Passengers stare at each other in disbelief!! I am sure that many of them are thinking what I am...Do I get off! Will we make it to Brisbane? What else is not working?
Perhaps it was safe practice...certainly not normal practice...but I would like to believe that any plane I was getting in and putting my life into someone elses hands was 100% safe and opperational.
Poor form Qantas, how to instill confidence in an airline!!!

unhelpful airlines

My flight QF566 from Perth to Sydney was cancelled due to engineering problems. After a couple of half started messages over the PA the instructions were to line up at the Customer Service desk if you did not live in Perth. I lined up as I live in Sydney and after waiting a long time was informed that the option was to take a later flight (leaving at 11.30pm) to Melbourne which would mean travelling all night and arriving in Sydney the next morning.

I explained to the attendant that I wished to book another flight the next day as flying all night was not my preference. I did not explain to her that I had just been in Scotland for 2 weeks burying my grandmother and that my feet were still swollen from my flight to Perth as I knew that if I did explain it to her then I would start to cry.

She explained that she could not help me and to go away for 10-20 minutes and then she may be able to help me. She was also very agitated that there was no accommodation available to be offered as there was a golf tournament in Perth that weekend. I explained to her that I was not leaving now I had reached the front of the queue until I had rebooked my flight for the next day as I was worried about the flights filling up now that my flight had been cancelled. She then asked me to step to the side and speak to her supervisor. I then stepped to the side and stood in front of her supervisor who was on the telephone. A gentleman came along and asked what I needed so I explained to him that all I wanted was to rebook my flight for the next day. He then told me that there was no accommodation available and that it was his job to get the accommodation. I commented again that all I wanted was to rebook my flight for the next day. The gentleman then left.

The supervisor who I was still standing in front of continued on the phone for the next 10 minutes. Answered the next phone call and kept talking. She did eventually get off the phone but continued to ignore me standing there and talked to someone behind her and then walked down the passage and talked to someone else and took another phone call. By nearly the hour mark, when I had now been standing in front of where the supervisor had been for half an hour without being spoken to or acknowledged by her, and my feet were starting to hurt as well as being bloated. A new staff member arrived and began serving a new customer.

The new customer also did not want to fly on the flight to Melbourne and so the Qantas attendant began asking him what flight he wanted to fly on. At this point I become agitated and began asking the Qantas attendant why I had been standing there all this time and had not been able to get my flight rebooked and this new gentleman could walk up and have his done in two seconds. The new Qantas attendant asked me to be quiet and that he would serve me once he had finished with this gentleman and that he wasn’t offering him a flight the next day. In the next sentence the Qantas attendant then began booking the gentleman’s flight for the next day.

At this point my agitation did get greater and so I raised my voice and yelled at the Qantas supervisor what did I have to do to get some service here? I did not swear. I did not use threatening language. I raised my voice and asked what did I have to do to get some service. At this point the Qantas attendant threatened that if I did not calm down that I would be escorted from the airport by security. So I went quiet. The Qantas supervisor then in a round about way acknowledged my existence by making an announcement over the PA system asking customers to be patient. She still did not come down to speak to me and after making this announcement disappeared from behind the counter completely.

The Qantas attendant finished serving the gentleman and then rudely served me. He did not explain if there was any method of claiming for out of pocket expenses as I had heard being explained to other customers and did not offer me any vouchers. I then asked about upgrades and he rudely told me that he couldn’t give out upgrades as they would then have to give them to everyone. I had also, since I was standing there so long, heard the first attendant upgrade someone she had been serving. So I have not only lost a day, valuable time and have now had to pay my own out of pocket expenses to take care of the delay in travel.

At the end of the less than 2 minutes it took to rebook my flight I asked for the customer service department details and his (the attendants) name. He refused to give me his name. The original attendant gave me her name and asked if her supervisor had spoken to me. I said that no she hadn’t and that I was very unhappy with what had just happened.

At no point did any staff member apologise for any of the inconvenience caused, treat anyone I saw them serve as an individual that had individual requirements or offer extra assistance like opening up the Qantas lounge for the next 6 hours while people waited for their Melbourne flight. The Qantas staff as a whole were on the defensive the whole time that there was no accommodation to offer and just kept acting defensive about that.

I then left extremely upset and went to make a complaint to Qantas customer service on the number I had been given. As it was now after 5pm in Perth the office in Sydney was closed.

The next day I was able to get through to the Qantas customer service office in Sydney and speak to a lady there. As I was speaking to her she started to explain that they did not have accommodation in Perth. I asked her if she was listening to me as I had not asked for accommodation in Perth. She then said that there was a note on the system saying that I had been abusive to staff. I then explained to the woman that I was glad that they were taping our conversation as they would be able to hear that I was using an agitated voice and that I was neither yelling or using expletives to her. I had called to let them know that I was so upset about how I had been treated and threatened yesterday that I was going to make a complaint to the aviation authorities and anyone else I could think of. She then asked if I was threatening her and I was quite surprised and said that no I wasn’t I was just letting them know that I was very upset and was going to be making these complaints. At this point she threatened me and said that maybe it wasn’t a good idea for me to be flying with Qantas today and that she had to go because she was going to hang up now and ask the Duty Manager to come and speak with me. She then hung up and I continued to go and board the plane not knowing until the plane took off if I was going to be pulled off the plane or not.

I then boarded the plane and cried all through take off with all the stress I had just gone through to get on the flight. The staff on the flight were very helpful and when the plane was re-routed to Melbourne and I became even more emotional and was throwing up they were very helpful again.

I am also concerned that as I was threatened twice by their staff members with some form of extreme action (involving security, refusing my flight) that I may have had civil liberties that have been infringed upon as well of all the undue stress I suffered.

very disappointed

I recently travelled from Calgary to Melbourne on Qantas and was very disappointed. My husband booked directly with the airline and informed the agent that I was pregnant and needed an aisle seat at the very least. We also requested a kosher meal with the booking. We phoned a few days prior to departure just to confirm everything and were told that neither our seat nor meal request was in the system. We requested them again.

When I arrived in LA, there was no indication of either the seat nor meal request. I was scheduled to sit in the very middle of a block of seats. Anyone whose been pregnant knows that frequent trips to the bathroom are essential, especially on a 13 hour flight. Luckily, our plane was delayed so I had the opportunity to voice my concerns - again. Miraculously, a seat appeared in the front row. A seat that hadn't been offered to me before, despite my enquiries about 'a spot with more legroom so I could at least get out when I needed to'. i suppose I should be thankful for small mercies.

On the return leg, I decided to call and make sure my seat was requested and my meal was registered. What a surprise! No sign of my requests and it was too late to order the kosher meal. Great. Oh, and the seating register was closed. I arrived early to check in, hoping I could obtain one of the front row seats again but alas, nothing was available. All bulkhead seating was taken up by parents and their babies. The best they could do was an aisle seat. Fabulous (sarcasm). I was told taht all seats with extra legroom were already assigned to those who needed it and perhaps I shouldn't be travelling if I'm this concerned about my back whilst being pregnant. Thanks for the great customer service! How rude!

On the plane, I decided to go for a walk and check out the front row seat situation. I saw 2 people with laptops and one middle aged lady. No seniors, no pregnant women and certainly no-one who obviously needed that space more than me.

All in all, my experience was horrible, made worse by the rudeness of the customer 'service' lady named Jo. I did not receive any of my special meal requests and despite every effort to ensure my preferences were recorded, they failed to be. I even had them listed in my booking online. After this, I will definitely be flying with another airline, one who cares about the special needs of its passengers. its no wonder Qantas is in trouble.

shocking service

I was flying with Qantas from Germany with my 85 year old mother-in-law so that she could spend 3 months with us over the Christmas period in Sydney Australia. Her family had done everything that they could to make certain that Qantas had strict instructions that she was to receive 'meet and assist' help throughout her journey and they were guaranteed that she would. On her boarding passes it states very clearly : 'MEET ASSIST REQUIRED' so I have to assume that these instructions got through. However, from Frankfurt to London to Singapore to Sydney (almost 30 hours in total) she did not receive any 'meet and assistance' at all! Not once! In fact, we had so much luggage with us that I had to go searching for someone from Qantas to help us in London. This meant leaving her alone in a busy airport for almost one hour while I waited in a queue! My mother-in-law speaks some english but certainly not enough to understand the many different accents over a loud speaker, of which even I have difficulty understanding. Given this, I am left to wonder what on earth would have happened to her had I not been with her! To top this off the food was worse than appalling and she was harassed, searched and made to wait at customs because a dog had smelt fruit in her hand-luggage, which we eventually discovered was due to the SMELL of a banana that all the passengers were given shortly before landing (what airline gives out a fruit that is bound to smell just before landing, especially without warning people to wash their hands afterward?!).
My mother-in-law can not afford to pay for someone else to fly back to Germany with her on her return home in 3 months time. Yet, we are wondering if we can afford to send her back with Qantas?! How is any 85 year old woman with limited english meant to find their way through busy international airports and connecting flights without some help? And how are we meant to trust Qantas's promises and guarantees with 'meet and assist'?
She will never ever book an airline ticket with Qantas again and nor will I. I also want to warn anyone else requiring assistance not to rely on Qantas. Shame on you Qantas!!

• Fa
    Fareeda_1984 Apr 09, 2011

My Seat No.F53 Flight from Sydney (16.55) to Bkk(22.15) on April3, 2011 operated my Qantas airline. That It was my fault. plane already laned and stoped. that time I really felt toilet then i walk to toilet it really cloed to my seat. that japanese staff said to me went back to your seat and I said to her I would use toilet then she said to me "###" I really Angry that time. How to said like this me even if my fault.

trains that fly

I am a regular flier, - 4-5 times a year globally and numerous national flights - mostly on non-qantas flights, which seems to work very well, with the odd hiccup taken care of in stress-free manners.

Approximately once every few years i decide to use qantas. The result is always the same – one big head ache / one big mistake.

This (Guaranteed last) time, as a handicapped person (I have a broken leg) i will have to ‘hop’ around germany to find a train station (Not airport) which qantas has been include in my itinerary – but cannot tell me where i should go to catch the train (I. E. Where it leaves from), and they have not even booked a seat on the train. So the chances are extremely good that i will have to stand with a broken leg on a 4hr train ride because deutsche bahn lets nearly double as many passengers on their trains as there are available seats.

And to hammer the point home, qantas are too incompetent to book the luggage through to the final destination, instead the handicapped should drag it around europe instead. Incidentally, one qantas supervisors seemed to find the whole suggestion extremely humorous.

And possibly the best illustration of qantas is when you consider how a handicapped person is treated to their interpretation of “the spirit of australia” (Nice spirit, why not kick me as well while i am down).

Furthermore qantas does not explain as you book your ticket – you might have to stand up during part of the travel and you must drag your baggage around by yourself. This is a nearly $3000 flight.

Finally, discussing it with highly untrained, unprofessional, loud-mouth staff who know it all, and do not even have the courtesy to hold their tongue long enough for the customer to have a say – really captures the spirit of australia – well done qantas.

lies, deception and fraud.

My apologies for taking so long to find this wonderful website forum and having read some of these horror stories, I do not fell so alone in my anger and frustrations against this "almighty corporate giant QANTARSE!!!" My experience goes back to July 05, when I bought tickets for return travel to the UK from Canberra for myself, ex-partner and 3 year old daughter. I bought the tickets from an online classifieds website to the value of $4500. At the time of the transaction, I logged onto the qantas website and went through my itinary from the booking number provided, which showed all the details to be correct and payment had been successful with an E-ticket number & receipt number attached. I called Qantas 2 days later to organise our seating and meals arrangment. During this conversation, the representive informed me that there had been duplicate bookings made for our flights, but not to worry as she would correct them. I told her that the booking had been made online and not directly through Qantas and she again re-asured me that everything was now in order. I was booked to fly in 2 weeks time. When we arrived at the airport check-in on the day of our flight, I was asked to produce the credit card that had been used to pay for the tickets! It turns out that I had been caught in a scam and Qantas knew about it from the moment I had first contacted them! They had chosen to let me believe that everything was in order in the hope of "catching" me at the airport as being the potential instigator of the scam instead of showing any compassion when it was apparant that I was indeed the victim! No mattter how hard I remonstrated with them at check-in, they would not allow us to fly without forking out a further $8000! We had to return home and I was left to console my little daughter to try to explain to her that she would not be meeting any of her reletives for the first time who lived in England. During the following couple of weeks, I had the mis-fortune of trying to deal with the ###ic customer relations staff at Qantas who I would simply describe as "Pigs". To try to keep the details as brief as possible, I ended up fighting my case at the fair trading tribunal, where I initially had success when it was ruled that Qantas had been neglient in the duties and would be liable not for the cost of the tickets but for my loss of earnings (being self-employed), pain and suffering etc. However, on the second appearance at the tribunal where I was up against their lawyer, the lying booking clerk and one of their customer relations officers, the new registrar had decided even before the case had started that she was not going to rule against Qantas! The affidavit provided by the booking clerk was a total fabrication put together by the qantas legal team and she was there to stumble her way through it. She at one stage looked like she was going to collapse, such was the state of distress she was in, until the lawyer interrupted the procedings to give her a glass of water and time to compose herself. I asked her "why did you tell me that had fixed up the booking and we were all set to go?" She replied "I did not say that, I told you I was not sure if you were right to go"!!! I told her that if you had said that to me, do you not think that I would have been calling qantas every 5 minutes of the day until I got a positve answer from them, rather than just turn up at the airport 2 weeks down the track ready to fly?, She just shrugged her pathetic shoulders! I was then advised that my only course of action was to take the case to the supreme court which would cost upwards of $30, 000 to try to recover my $4500. Has anybody else had a similar experience to this nightmare and can anything more been done to make qantas accountable for such deception? Even though 4 years have passed since this injustice, If somebody knew of any recourse of action that could be embarked upon, I would proceed with vigour!

denied baggage check-through from london, heathrow to klia, malaysia

To whom it may concern,

I departed Heathrow on 10 October 2009, 12:15pm flight QF 32, was denied check-through luggage and passenger all the way to KLIA. I was advised by the check-in counter to get a boarding pass from Singapore, Changi to re-tag and re-route my luggage in order to board my flight for KLIA and I only have 1 hour until my next flight. Given that 1 hour, I have insufficient time to move from terminal to terminal and my Qantas flight was late from Heathrow.

The reason given was no contract with MAS because my connecting flight from Singapore to KLIA was MH604, 11 Oct, 9:20am. I was very disappointed with the way I was treated even after clarifying with my agent on the phone in Kuala Lumpur, whereby she mentioned that there is no such occurence. Furthermore, the check-in lady was not helpful and said there is a long queue while I am so upset. Not much help afterall and ignorant.

I want a full background explanation for such a disaster that could happen and coming from a well-known and international airline.

This is my contact:

Name: Chew Soo San
Email: [protected]@hotmail.com
H/P: +[protected]

S Anderson Jul 21, 2009

Qantas cancelled flights we booked for some Japanese visitors, in poor health, and on a tight schedule. The flight was booked for 10.00am. Qantas phoned (three days prior) to advise us of this, and that we were now booked on their 6.00am flight, same day, reporting time 5.00am.

We said "No Good mate - this requires our guest to get up at 3.00am, after a function the previous night. We can't change the rest of their international travel schedule, so we'll take your competitor's flight at 10.30am. Refund please."

They said there policy was "the fare category under which we booked did not allow refunds in cases of cancellation". So we were not entitled to a refund.

I explained that:-
    - Surely that ploicy was intended for a customer side cancellation, not for an airline side cancellation, and that;
    - New Zealand's Cnsumer Guarantees Act requires businesses to provide or pay for an equivalent service to one which failed.

To which they did not respond, and did not provide any refund.

The original flight and travel plans had been booked three months in advance. To replace the flight on the competitor, three days in advance, was now four times the price. We had to pay.

Over the ensuing months, we never got any response from Qantas in New Zealand, or Australia to numerous complaints.

Ms Moderator Aug 07, 2009

Sorry to say, but ALL airlines have a similar policy. They reserve the right to cancel or change (due weather, act of God or whatever) schedules. If you do not have a ticket allowing changes / refunds or travel insurance to guard against such changes, you either take the flight that is offered or you forfeit the fare.

QANTAS did the right thing to let you know so far ahead of time - most other airlines I have had similar experiences with do it same day!!!

lukyluk Jan 06, 2010

qantas customer service in airport perth deing rude and unfriendly and he should not work in costumer service as they alwasys said costumer is rigth and qantas airlines is suck and how you can miss ur fligth if u have a boarding pass printed by thier machine and queing for half hour to put your laguange and 10 minutes b4 the flight they anounce to go to counter and no person to assist us to go to counter and specially im a deaf and cant really hear much and by the time i put my language in n im 2minutes late cos of a long que and goto a qantas airlines customer service with bad attitude and ask us to pay 85d0llars and that rip off, qantas is rip off and bad servicen virginblu is better airlines and u lost me as a customer forever and im not happy and give me back my 85dollars cos i lost my flight because u dont put enough people at your counter and its always a que

• Sh
    Shane Edwards Jun 19, 2011

I am still waiting for my baggage to be found or replaced. I had damaged baggage so handed it in, this was in December 2010. It is now 2011 June and still have not got my suite case back .I have rung and they said that they dont have it they sent me a Kmart suite case worth around $35.00 this was nothing like my suite case that was part of a set. Told them I would not except this and wanted my case back. Whats more I did not give them permission to replace my case. Was told by one of the people that it was probley old and I should take what I was given then she hung up. I still have the code for the case but no one wants to deal with it. I was also told to lend a case if I need one. What do you do.

• Gl
    glueonhair Jun 19, 2011

These are people, whose flight attendants see nothing wrong in entering 1st class, and calling out, "anyone for coffee?", so it seems that ignorance is a requisite for that job! Once was enough with that outfit. Quantarse, I call 'em!

• Fe
    Ferrizon Nov 17, 2011

Qantas lost my luggage for 6 days. Did not offer to reimburse me, and customer care will not reply. I couldn't finish my work there w/o bags

qantas is a scam

DO NOT FLY QANTAS EVER!!! And especially do not buy a QANTAS 'Aussie Air Pass'. This is advertised as a great deal on the Qantas US site (and possibly elsewhere) but it is a scam. Ok, so you may be able to pick up what seems like a cheap deal initially, but this company uses every possible opportunity to unethically squeeze money out of you repeatedly so that you end up paying far more for this flight than if you went with any other (and better) carrier! And I am Australian!!! It is shameful how this company operates. AND YOU DO NOT GET ANY ONE WORLD POINTS FOR MOST OF THEIR FLIGHTS!!! They imply at booking that you do get points, but when you try to redeem them you are told that 'those flights do not accrue points'. So unless you buy the ridiculously overpriced flights that they advertise, you get NOTHING!! And to make matters worse the service is terrible, it is very very expensive AND they continually overcharge you (that is, charge your credit card twice for purchases and then take far too long to credit incorrect charges back to you). I would never use this company ever again. And when I attempted to complain to the company they gave me a non-existent email address to write a complaint letter to!!! So obviously they do not care AT ALL about 'customer care'. They should call it 'Customers we don't care!!!'

• Qantas is always rated as one of the world's best airlines. One customer's issue certainly will not stop me flying them. I have had nothing but exemplary service on Qantas!

lukyluk Jan 06, 2010

yes its true qantas bad service and how i can lost my flight if i have boarding pass and queing for halfhour to put your laguange in because they dont have enough counters to put your laguage so you have to go to airport 3hours ahead so u you dont miss your fligth and cos if u miss ur fligth 2 minutes late cos u queing for half hour to put your laguage and they anounce togo to the counter whos flying to this and that and wat happen if you are a deaf and no staff to assist you like virginblu or jetstar that intstruct you to that counter then u are ### isnt it then cos u miss ur fligth n go to customer service then u incounter a very rude n unfriendly costumer service by qantas and ask u to pay 85 dollars so u can fly the next flight and i recond it rip off, rip off and i believe to all your compaints cos i encounter with it thank

qantas bad service

qantas rip off

qantas worker are rude

lukyluk Jan 06, 2010

qantas is Q, queers A, are N navigate T to A a ?

class discrimination

I travelled to Sydney on the weekend. On the way up I checked in online 20 hours prior. I only had a choice of three seats in the plane. This was ok because I was flying by myself. On the way back to Melbourne the same thing happened although myself and my fiancé had to be separated. We checked in over an hour early. When we got to the bag drop I asked if the seats could be changed. The Qantas assistant said that the plane was full and there was nothing that she could do. Ok fair enough. However I asked why the seats were already full. I was advised that Qantas platinum flyers were allowed to reserve their seating upon purchase. On this flight were families upset that they could not sit next to each other, children having to sit away from their parents.

How is this fair? How is this just? If people want special treatment they can pay extra for business class. When preferential treatment interferes with whether or not you can sit with you husband or children is unjust. It is a classed based preferential treatment even when all passengers in economy pay the same.

I do not believe that Qantas should have take away liberties that were previously given to all passengers i.e. the right to sit with your partner when checking in early time. I will stick with Virgin from now so that I am not treated like a second class citizen.

• Re
    Realistic_Reader Apr 04, 2012

Platinum flyers usually spend in excess of a years' average salary on flights with the airline. Why shouldn't they be given some perks in return for their loyalty?

It clearly states when you book that you can select your seats at "X" time- if that doesn't work for you then don't fly with them. I think you'll find Virgin also have similar policies for their Velocity members and you have to pay extra to sit in bulkhead rows.

FYI, all passengers in economy (or, any) class do NOT pay the same. You have non-refundable, sale, fully flex fares within each class which all have a different price. So no, not everyone pays the same. mostly, platinum flyers are choosing fully flex tickets which can be up to double the 'sale' economy price, so I would think they are entitled to some benefit for that extra money- which is usually the ability to change dates without a fee and to select seats before anyone else. You too can buy a fully flex ticket and enjoy the same benefit.

So actually, they are paying extra for "special treatment" as you call it.

bad customer service

Travel with Qantas on 29 May - 9 Jul 09. Have written a complaint thru Qantas website but since no answer. Your staff are incapable to give the correct info, resulted us arriving without our luggage since qantas staff didn't do their job and same thing with coming back which they fail to put our luggages in the flight so we had to go home again with no luggages. It is disgusting and I am ashame of being a member of Qantas frequent flyers. To top it they forgot my vegetarian meals which I specifically rang few weeks before and confirmed it beforehand. What kind of airline is this who can't give proper service and there is no compensation in anyway. I am so disgusted by this airline!

Ms Moderator Aug 07, 2009

Sorry to hear they forgot your vego meal.

I was in the same position recently but cannot praise QANTAS enough. Flew Sydney - San Fran. They were fantastic and so were the vego meals.

San Fran - LA I had to fly United. NEVER flying United EVER AGAIN. United airlines couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery! What they are doing defies logic... TRYING to run an airline and desperately failing.

Luckliy I travelled to Auckland from LA on QANTAS - again, the service was OUTSTANDING. Pity you obviously caught them on a bad day.

intimidated by rude staff

The new customer also did not want to fly on the flight to Melbourne and so the Qantas attendant began asking him what flight he wanted to fly on. At this point I become agitated and began asking the Qantas attendant why I had been standing there all this time and had not been able to get my flight rebooked and this new gentleman could walk up and have his done in two seconds. The new Qantas attendant asked me to be quiet and that he would serve me once he had finished with this gentleman and that he wasnt offering him a flight the next day. In the next sentence the Qantas attendant then began booking the gentlemans flight for the next day.

The Qantas attendant finished serving the gentleman and then rudely served me. He did not explain if there was any method of claiming for out of pocket expenses as I had heard being explained to other customers and did not offer me any vouchers. I then asked about upgrades and he rudely told me that he couldnt give out upgrades as they would then have to give them to everyone. I had also, since I was standing there so long, heard the first attendant upgrade someone she had been serving. So I have not only lost a day, valuable time and have now had to pay my own out of pocket expenses to take care of the delay in travel.

At the end of the less than 2 minutes it took to rebook my flight I asked for the customer service department details and his (the attendants) name. He refused to give me his name. The original attendant gave me her name and asked if her supervisor had spoken to me. I said that no she hadnt and that I was very unhappy with what had just happened.

The next day I was able to get through to the Qantas customer service office in Sydney and speak to a lady there. As I was speaking to her she started to explain that they did not have accommodation in Perth. I asked her if she was listening to me as I had not asked for accommodation in Perth. She then said that there was a note on the system saying that I had been abusive to staff. I then explained to the woman that I was glad that they were taping our conversation as they would be able to hear that I was using an agitated voice and that I was neither yelling or using expletives to her. I had called to let them know that I was so upset about how I had been treated and threatened yesterday that I was going to make a complaint to the aviation authorities and anyone else I could think of. She then asked if I was threatening her and I was quite surprised and said that no I wasnt I was just letting them know that I was very upset and was going to be making these complaints. At this point she threatened me and said that maybe it wasnt a good idea for me to be flying with Qantas today and that she had to go because she was going to hang up now and ask the Duty Manager to come and speak with me. She then hung up and I continued to go and board the plane not knowing until the plane took off if I was going to be pulled off the plane or not.

• Mr
    Mrs J. Love Aug 02, 2008

I have recently missed a very urgent domestic flight due to a flaw in Qantas' flight information. I rang to check on a departure time as we are all asked to do, gave the flight number as requested, & was informed there was a delay. I got to the airport 1 hour prior to the time I'd been given only to find the flight was closed & leaving. NOW HERE'S THE ISSUE - This flight was scheduled to depart 0005. TO CHECK THIS YOU WOULD HAVE TO CALL 1 -2 HRS BEFOREHAND. The information given coincided with the flight no I had. Instead, I was given the previous night's time, as that flt no was the same. I had no idea it wasn't mine. Surely to god, somebody can program this information service to cover this grey area - a simple "this flight is not yet listed " would have sufficed, at least I would have gone to the airport at the normal time & caught the flight. It was particularly distressing as I was trying to reach my son who had been in an accident. Fortunately, Qantas were able to get me on another flight the next day. Even a change of flight numbers for these midnight shuttles would be something!

• Mr
    Mrs J Love Aug 02, 2008

I have not yet recieved a response, therefore I cannot say whether it was useful or not

Annoyed Mar 30, 2009

I booked online a domestic flight the other day for my daughter and myself and noticed when paying that a credit card fee of $7.70 (per person) was being charged for the one transaction. I understand that they have to charge a credit card fee but a per person fee on one transaction is a bit rich. NO WONDER THEY MAKE SO MUCH PROFIT EACH FINANL YEAR. It is at the expense of the customer that has very limited choice in this country when it comes to airline carriers.

Ms Moderator Aug 07, 2009

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother and for all the inconvenience you experienced.

It sounds like you just got a bad bunch of staff that day. I have never EVER experienced bad service like this and therefore would recommend you don't dismiss them. Really sounds like a one-off. Again, my sincerest condolences.

Ms Moderator Aug 07, 2009

You think that is rich???!!! We have it SO good here. HONESTLY. Cannot praise QANTAS enough.
    Despite travelling business class, many airlines overseas charge credit card fees (yes, per person also, like you said), they charge for luggage (not excess luggage, checked luggage) AND for meals and drinks.

I am happy to support our airline and think more Australians should come to realise that we are the lucky country!!!

christos32 Oct 16, 2011

aside from what Ms Moderator has mentioned, what airline, internet site or travel agent doesn't charge for credit card fees?

lost baggage

This is a copy of an email sent this morning to qantas, i doubt it was ever read. Just writing to say thank...

Brisbane Airlines

escorted of the plane 5 mins before take off

Dear Sir / Madam My name is Mr. Lee Thomas, I am a Company Director from Hong Kong on holiday visiting my...

cancelled flight

fraud and cheating

Qantas is ripping off travelers - heavy delays in refunds on canceled tickets

In September 2008 I bought a full fare coach class ticket from New York, Melbourne, Australia for $4, 000. The ticket was a fully refundable fare, as Ineeded it to be. Before I was due to fly, I had to change my plans so I canceled my ticket.

I was told I would be charged $100 cancellation fee, as had been disclosed to me at the time of purchase. However, i was then told that it would take 4 months to get a refund onto my credit card.

Four months??? it took all of 14 seconds to put the charge onto my credit card, now it takes four months to reverse it? The telephone operator explained that there is a single person dedicated to refund processing, hence the delay.

It smells of consumer abuse. Qantas charges you for the privilege of a cancellation ticket ($4, 000 vs discount and non-cancellable tickets at well under $2, 000), they levy a $100 fee on the cancellation. What is the $100 paying for? What is the premium fare paying for? For them to sit on my cash as free working capital for four months. Unbelievable.

christos32 Oct 16, 2011

pretty much every airline can take "up to" 12 weeks to process a refund. 4 months is longer than normal, but its not unheard of from airlines

misdirected bags & lack of assistance

This is addressed to Mr Geoff Dixon, CEO Qantas.

My wife and I went on a trip around the world and travelled on Cathay Pacific, British Airways, American Airlines and finally boarded Qantas Flight QF94 at Los Angeles airport on August 21, 2008. Our flight from Las Vegas arrived in LA on 21 August at about 10.30 am (We had booked our four bags through to Melbourne from Las Vegas on flight AA1419) We were assured by QANTAS staff at LA that the bags would be loaded on the same flight QF94 and the QANTAS staff also arranged for wheel chair assistance which had been requested throughout the trip on all Airlines. At Melbourne we were unable to get any sort of assistance and were greatly inconvenienced by non receipt of our bags. Three were delivered to our home on the day after arrival and one more on the day after that. None of your staff at Melbourne Airport could /would arrange for a wheel chair causing much distress particularly to mywife.
Some other passengers with similar problems had words with your staff at Tullamarine, but I feel that they should not be held responsible for this sort of occurence. You, Sir, are the CEO and I feel should be able to look into these matters.
From the manner in which the non loading of my luggage was accepted as a matter of common occurence by your Tullamarine
staff, I believe that nobody cared, although there was a time period of more than 12 hours at LA Airport on 21 August, to have the bags loaded on Flight 94

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices