Portfolio Recovery Associates Logo

Portfolio Recovery Associates

Having problems with Portfolio Recovery Associates?

1800 772 1413 (Customer Service)
120 Corporate Blvd., Ste. 1
Sat8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sun11:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Payment Made

I, Benny L. Mingus, made all full payments directly to Capital One Bank. I owe nothing anymore. Portfolio Recovery Associates has been harassment for years now. I told Portfolio Recovery Associates to contact Capital One Bank to confirm that I owe nothing on the accounts they are trying to collect for. The account/reference number is [protected] for the account they are trying to collect for.

Harrassing Phone Calls about a debt over 10 yrs old

The calls from this company started out as an automated message to call this number which they gave very fast during the message. My husband called the number wanting to know what it was about. Almost a year goes by and they start calling again, this time a real person. About 2 weeks ago I got a phone call and didn't realize I owed this debt still and told them that the statute of limitations in Oklahoma is 5 yrs but they said I still have to pay it. I told them I couldn't because I was unemployed. We get a phone call last night from them and the woman was telling me I HAD to pay it. I told her the same thing as I told the other person that I was unemployed. Then she starts asking if my husband was employed. I couldn't get it into her head that I could not pay it no matter what. My husband then got on the phone and asked her what this was about. She proceeded to tell my husband that I owed this from the late 1990's and that between 1998 and 2000 I had put him on this account. Well, for one thing, I did not know my husband until mid 2000 and did no such thing as to put him on this account (it was for phone service). How could I have? Also, she said that when he called last year he said he would pay the bill. I know my husband and I KNOW he did not say any such thing. My husband asked her for written proof of all this and she just said it was in the system.

This company is lying about activity on this account big time.

We are going to contact the BBB and the local DA to see what can be done.

The woman said they will keep calling us (basically stating they're going to harrass us) until the bill is paid.

Fraudulent Debt Collection

Portfolio Recovery Associates contacted me in 2007 to collect a debt for a utility bill I don't owe...

Harassment late at night

I get a phone call on my CELL phone just a couple of minutes ago, on my cellphone, and it is 10:27 pm at night here. I answer it, and this woman begins asking for me, and I ask her where she is calling from. She told me the company name, and I ask her, do you know where I live? She said "yes, you live in _____". I wanted to be sure, since I HAD moved a couple of years ago, and maybe there was something that I forgot and left behind to pay. But yes, she had my right state, and yes, it was wayyyy past the legal time to call. I informed her of the time where I was, and that I KNEW the credit laws concerning times to call, and she began to tell me of how "well, it's not my fault, this is just an automated system and it told me to call you..." I reminded her that HER system told her to call me PAST the legal time, which was harassment, and said, "now where were you calling from?"... she told me Porfolio Recovery and I told her "Thank you very much, that is all I need" and hung up. Nope, I didn't even wait to find out WHY she called. Frankly, anybody that calls me at that time of night won't get any kind of "nice" conv:ersation from me because that is just plain harassment. Right now, I don't care if she was calling about a $10 doctor's bill, LET it go on my credit file, I don't care, because I refuse to be harassed. I have children. I have a husband that has to be up very very early for work. Companies that resort to harassment will NOT intimidate me. LET them put whatever they want on my credit file... given the way the economy is, mine probably won't look any worse than anybody elses out there. It definately hasn't stopped my buying a new car recently... So lady who calls me at 10:27 pm...BITE ME...

• Ar
    Area Sick Aug 21, 2009

Why don't you just pay the bill? Then you wouldn't have had to deal with it in the first place. Dont try to play victum either, pay the bill you owe and quit trying to get something for nothing.

• Sh
    Shannon36535 Aug 24, 2009

wow ... guess some folks just borrow money or take out loans and screw everyone huh.

Statute of Limitations has run out in Texas

This was a credit card from my husband from 7 years ago when he was laid off and we could not pay the bill. The bill has quadrupled in what they say we owe them now since the original payment default. They are rude, and will not let me speak when they call my home. I have tried to tell them that my husband is out of the country and we are separated and I can't get a divorce because he is out of the country. They keep harrassing me and my name was never on the card nor did I ever charge anything on this credit card. I didn't even know he had this credit card during our marriage.
What can I do to stop this harrassment. As I said it was 7 years ago that he defaulted on this card. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Mary K. Bertling Sep 09, 2009

I used to work for a sister company of PRA called IGS, it's here in Nevada. If anyone would like a full disclosure of the practices they teach and encourage in THEIR training courses, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

• Dr
    Draven Sep 30, 2009

Gail did you ever get this resolved? if not email me at [email protected] would be able to get you info on ceasing the calls due to your seperation.

WilmaWood Nov 10, 2009

Call your attorney general to make a complaint so this company will have to follow the law. Find your state statutes here:

Find your state attorney general here:

Your attorney general can make them stop illegally abusing not only YOU, but others like you: elderly people they like to intimidate, single mothers, veterans, anyone. Even when you owe a debt, there are laws they have to follow, and this company does not follow them. Report abuses to your attorney general!!! Just taking them to court means they may pay some small fine (with money the scammed from someone else), but your attorney general can put them out of business in your state.

Terrible company

I contacted Portfolio after harassing me at work a month or so ago. i sent a Cease and Desist letter. Today i...

Fraudulent practices

Portfolio Recovery have been contacting me on the job. They say I owe a debt to them, I checked my credit report and I did not see this debt, named on there. When I am not available they leave messages with co-workers. Is this even possible?

Well, the first time they called my work I researched it and found out I needed to take progressive measures and write them a letter and request they cease communication at my place of work. I did that, I even had the letter sent 2 to 3 day priority mail with delivery confirmation. It was sent out on a Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday morning that same week. I did not hear anything for a few days and I thought maybe it worked.

Yesterday they called my work again and left a message with a co-worker. I decided this is irritating me. I contacted my Attorney General by e-mail complaint (after I researched their site and noticed how many times their office has dealt with Portfolio Recovery), but I also mailed the Attorney General a written complaint and copies of th letter I sent PR, the USPS delivery confirmation, along with the phone number and extension the PR agent left with my co-worker.

They should not be allowed to continue to disrupt people in the workplace.

William Bensley, Esquire Jun 13, 2009

You should contact a consumer attorney immediately. Find one on the National Association of Consumer Advocates website.

Mary K. Bertling Sep 09, 2009

I used to work for a sister company of theirs called IGS, out here in Vegas. If anyone would like a full disclosure of the practices they teach, and encourage, in their training, please feel free to email me. [email protected]

• Us
    UseryIsBadMkay Feb 09, 2011

Same thing happened to me, a 10 year old credit card I myself closed and left in good standing came back to bite me by way of Portfolio Recovery Associates. After going through my credit and asking the credit card company to send me letters stating the last known status of my credit card account(s), it was as I had remembered it being, both accounts closed in good standing. So why are they buying our information, shouldn't we be protected. I understand the law allows financial institutions to share customer information for those accounts with bad debt, but why are accounts left in good standing being sold as well? Isn't this a Federal Offense? Why isn't anyone doing anything about this? So after all my evidence I had them remove the collection account from their systems, whatever that means, probably means they've moved my account information to a resell database. Now after having gone through all this on some non-sense fraudulent debt, they have the audacity to send me a letter to ask my permission and signature to have the credit bureaus remove any inquiries they've made into my credit report. I quickly called them back to let them know I wasn't going to give them permission to mess around with my credit report, then a few days later a letter in the mail states they were informing me of their intent to have the credit bureaus remove any inquiries they've made on my report. Isn't this illegal? Now I will send them a letter and fax and follow up with a phone call requesting they stop fiddling around with any of my information, my credit report, my life period no nothing. If I find anything in my credit report regarding these guys after my phone call is placed, its time to play ball. Who wants to join my team?

harrassed me at home & at job - rude & liars - refused to answer questions - please join me in an effort to get this company investigated

If you are reading this, then you probably have had an encounter with someone from Portfolio Recovery and you are feeling angry, insulted, humiliated, demeaned and frustrated.

This company’s bad business practices must be stopped. If those of us who have been abused by this company fail to speak up then no one with the authority to stop this company is ever going to pay attention or seek to investigate because we sit by and are quiet.

I am writing to say to everyone that we MUST take the time to record statements against this company here on this site, and also on as many Internet sites or blogs or discussion groups as we can each find.

You don’t have to write a long statement when you post – but you need to at least document in several different places on the Internet that you had a negative experience.

Even if your encounter was several years ago, but you still carry the emotion inside yourself from how the encounter makes you feel years later – then you too need to take the time to record your complaint.

If enough of us will stand up and begin to document on this company, then eventually some responsible entity is going to realize that this company is out of control and needs to be stopped.

My hope is that some local or national television news program which is searching for an investigative piece will choose to expose this company – but that can only happen if we will each take the time to write our experiences down and post on the Internet so that the negative PR against this company can no longer be ignored.

If you are just beginning to enter a situation with this company then you should know that everything you read on this site and other complaint sites regarding this company is true. You cannot believe anything they tell you because they lie, lie, lie! And they will harass you at home and on your job, plus they will do all the things that we are told as consumers that collection agencies cannot do. They will ignore you when you ask them questions or refuse to listen when you notify them in writing to no longer call you on your job. They will disclose your personal business on voice mail messages where others can hear what is being said. They will literally yell at you on the telephone when they call. They will say horrible things to you and accuse of things when you cannot pay.

These are heartless people who will say anything and do anything they can to get money. They are rude and will not hesitate to attack you verbally when talking to you. They are giving collection agencies a very bad name. They will make arrangements and then change their mind without any notice.

Their so-called litigation department is a disgrace and if they really are lawyers (which I don’t believe most of them are) – then they should be disbarred for inappropriate and unprofessional actions. They will try to come after you about debt even after you consult a lawyer who says they are too late. They will report false debt to your credit reports. They will issue judgments against you with increased dollar amounts beyond the debt amount. I’ve not experienced all of these things personally but I know people who are dealing and coping just as I am with these crazy people.

This company needs to be shut down and their employees need to be hit hard by our national Internet campaign to warn others about them and to speak up about how they behave.

Most of us who have dealt with any other collection agencies know that this particular company is the very worst of the bad ones.

Please join me in an effort to get this company exposed for how they operate. EVERY time they call you and harass you, post a complaint somewhere on the Internet – EVERY time! Don’t let them continue to do this to you or to anyone else.

Writing to the Better Business Bureau does no good because they will just turn it all around in their rebuttal – so that’s a waste of time. Instead we need to publicly humiliate them in the same way they do us each time they make contact.

If you are willing, send a letter to the Attorney General for your state telling them about your bad experience with this company.

Stop the madness. Let’s all work together to put in writing enough documentation that will enable a state or national agency to finally put these guys out of business!!! Please share the link to this site so others can learn of my call to action against this company.

• Bo
    Bob Apr 28, 2009

Their tactics are strong, but i was treated fairly. When you let a debt go, fees and charges build..interest, etc. Credit cards will continue to place over limit fees and late fees way long after you decide to stop paying. I paid mine off this month finally. people need to act like adults and not think they can walk away from incurred debt.

• Lo
    Lothar Jun 11, 2009

I got an automated call from them today, but I'm not calling them back because I don't have any debts to collect. There was another debt collection agency that tried to reach me, but I knew they were full of BS. Eventually they stopped calling, and so will this outfit.

I'm going to end my landline phone service very soon, largely so I don't have to take calls from these fraudsters anymore.

Mary K. Bertling Sep 09, 2009

I just got fired from IGS, a sister company of PRA, if anyone would like a full disclosure of the practices they encourage, please, feel free to email me. [email protected]

• Bi
    BigMommaTX Oct 06, 2009

PRA is trying to collect a debt they have "associated" with my name and a partially correct SS#.This debt is from 1998 and I have no knowledge of it and it really looks like a scam or some form of identity theft- scarey! The account exec. I spoke with the 1rst time, agreed with me that this was fishy and said that it looked like they were contacting the wrong person(me), now another person is calling me and is rude, refuses to listen to my statements and is insinuating I am a liar and incurred this debt and am using two SS#'s!...I am furious and want to pursue this company with the FTC and the Attorney General. Also, I had a bankruptcy in 2001 that was discharged and all my outstanding debts were included. I'm totally going to report these people over and over as long as this goes on, and I'm wondering if this has been anyone elses experience?

WilmaWood Nov 10, 2009

Yes, absolutely! Call your attorney general to make a complaint so this company will have to follow the law.Find your state statutes here:

The company is currently being investuigated by the Minnesota Attorney General:

Hopefully, my attorney general will be investigating them soon, too.

• Fu
    Fulana Jul 30, 2010

They refuse to send me the debt they say I owe from 1995 through the mail. They call morning, noon, night, and weekends. They do not verify who they are. The only reason I know the company name is because I looked up the phone number that showed up on my caller ID. They threaten jail time and in order to fish for information, they lie and say my wife said things she absolutely did not. I sent them a letter to cease the phone calls, to the address on their website (because rep refused to give it to me over the phone) but they continue to constantly call anyway.

These guys are nothing but thugs and leaches. I contacted the FTC and now I'm contacting my state attorney general. I am also writing my senators a letter and calling the DC switch boards to leave a message regarding this harassment. I will get a lawyer next if nothing is resolved.

• Ez
    ezwaxing Dec 18, 2010

I too have experienced the wrath of Portfolio Recovery and I'm not going to put up with it. They are calling my place of business which they aren't allowed to do once you ask them not to call your business or your workplace according to the Fair Credit Act. This business has called several times a day according to my caller id. Now they are calling under a fake name "Sunrocket Did". I happened to be between clients and answered the phone. This man on the other line just started interrogating me without identifying himself. He then said he was calling my Capitol ONE card account. I told him I didn't have an account and he insisted that I did. I told him I had one over 10 years ago and it was paid off. He said it wasn't and just because it was 10 years ago didn't mean I didn't have to pay it. I went around and around with him and then told him again it was my place of business I don't have a Capitol One account and told him never to call my business again. He was angry and wanted my home number. I told him there was no reason to give him my home number as I didn't have any reason to. I ended by hanging up on him because he continued to insist I give him my home info. These people are relentless. I'm anticipating him calling back especially from the other complaints I've read. I'm going to report them to the attorney general. Good luck everyone.

• Ar
    argrivated Aug 09, 2012

I have a tracfone that apparently belonged to another person that Portfolio has been trying to reach AT MY NUMBER FOR MONTHS! They call at all hours, disrupting my sleep, using various numbers so I never know who is calling me. I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST and reported several of their calls & numbers there, but I got woke up from a sound sleep again early this morning, so I called them back and yelled at them to stop calling me!!! They ask for some man's name I don't even know! (I'm a woman who definitely has a female voice!) I have to turn off my phone often because the calls are so frequent and disruptive, causing me to miss important calls! I have a lot of serious health issues, I really don't need this aggravation. I need my phone--but at this point I feel like throwing it in the damn river!

• Ft
    F them! Feb 13, 2013

For those who are constantly being harassed, send a cease and desist letter. If they continue after telling them and sending the letter, then contact a consumer attorney for the state that you live in. Other than that, try to make payment arrangements with them and honor it. Stick with the payment arrangements. If they do change the payment arrangements and try to sue, you hire a consumer attorney and countersue. This company has been ripping off consumers for years and it is worse since the economy is bad. If you do not stand up for your rights, then they will go away and these companies will continue to get away with their scams!

Unauthorized charges

Last year money was taken out of my bank account and it was frozen. I did not have any knowledge oif this going to happen! NOW I just got a letter in the mail saying if I don't pay them 10% of my wages every pay period they will send notice to my employer. I got this from my Sherri's department. I am a willow and I do not have that kind of money! Why did I not know any of this prior.

Unauthorized billing

This company says that I owe $186.00 for something I asked what for and have never received a response. I do not owe this money and want this off of my credit report as soon as possible.

Fraud and cheating

Portfolio Recovery Assoc. keeps calling about an alleged debt that my wife and I owed from 1994. Problem is that at that time she was my ex-wife so 'we' couldn't have opened that account together. I have checked my credit report and there is no mention of the company (a master card) that they say i owe an outstanding debt to. I have never even heard of Portfolio Recovery until about a week or so ago. They maintain that they have been trying to contact me numerous times by mail and by phone. Neither is correct. I tried to tell them there was some mistake, but to no avail. They keep calling. As I've seen mentioned in other testimonies, they won't give any specifics about the debt other than the name of the company the card was supposed to have been with.

• Gm
    G McPhee Mar 08, 2009

I have had the exact same experience. In fact the alleged year of the 'account' they say I had with some bank was 1994 as well. They claim that they "purchased" the account from that bank in 2004 and have been trying to reach me at my current address since 2004. I moved to my current address in 2006! Anyhow, like you, I checked my report from all 3 bureaus and there isn't even a HINT of an account with that bank at ANY time. When I specifically told them that that account has never appeared on my credit report, they had the nerve to say "...well, it won't appear on the report, the only thing that will appear is the inquiry made by us...". When I challenged them to send me documentation on the account, all they sent was the exact same information they were dictating over the phone. I am trying to figure out what to do about them. I obviously don't owe what they say I do, yet they will continue to call. Worse, they have already made 'inquiries' on my credit report and I'm worried that they will continue to do so in the future.

US CELLULAR 210**-8-9212

I have been receiving telephone calls that do not concern me or my family. I am 72 years old, a widow on...

Rip Off/Fraud

Portfolio Recovery has been harassing me for over 2 years. They are trying to collect on a debt that is over 25 years old. This debt is not even mine!!
It is my ex-husbands and he listed it in HIS bankruptcy.
I even sent the ### a copy of the bankruptcy.

Now, they are starting to harass me again. I got so darn mad, this is not even my debt, and it is over 25 years old. God himself doesn't even owe it.
I am going thru chemo and do not need all this crap. I am hoping everyone getting harassed by this company will e-mail me at:
[protected]@yahoo.com and let's get a legal suit against them. WE CAN WIN!!

Relax, they can't harm us, BUT, we can harm them.

Log all your calls, matter of fact, You can record them without them knowing, check out Virginia's laws on that.

good luck, lets win, cabbie from indiana

False Debt Balance, Rudeness, harassment

Portfolio Recovery Associates has been sending me threatening letters of demand for payments of an account...

Debt Collection

I sent the letter below to PRA. I do not know what they are collecting for back in 1991. I am an African...

Fraud and cheating

After going to Experian, and other services, I disputed any and all charges that Portfolio Recovery...

Wrong person

These folks have called my home # a few times and repeatedly ask for a person I don't know. The debt is for some credit card company I NEVER had business with. One time the caller stated they are sending the sheriff to collect the debt at such and such address(not mine). I asked the d.o.b. & s.s. # and those were not mine either. They are obviously trying to collect somebody else's debt from me. Wrongo! I firmly told the guy that it was against FDCA to discuss a debt with anyone other than the debtor and making idle threats about the sheriff collecting debts. I told him I was a debt collector years ago and basically told him he was an incompetent collector and had absolutely no business calling our ##. Another thing-we have had our ph # for 14 months when we moved here from another state, the debt is from 9 years ago.

Next time I will remember to hit the "record button" on my phone and string this guy along. Have these yo-yos ever heard of phone #s changing or "recycling?

• Fr
    fraudalertter_69 Dec 26, 2008

Yep, sounds familiar. Sorry you had to go through that. I changed my # twice on cell phone because of B.S. like that with Capitol One. I've NEVER had a C.O. credit card!!! They kept leaving automated messages from "Karen" and to return the call you had to have a ten-digit credit card (which I never had) to get through. A rep got through somehow and i spoke to the woman and she was extremely rude. I tried to explain, nobody believed me. Don't they know that you can get more flies with honey, not vinegar? Hello! Be rude and people get angry. Anyway, i hope your sit. gets resolved soon. Mine did by changing my # to a new prefix.

Scam and cheating

Out of the blue in early September 2008 I received a call from a creditor claiming to be collecting debt. I...

Shady, Sneaky, Watch Out!

I got a notice in the mail from this company to pay a debt that I knew nothing about and had never been contacted about before. I immediately sent them a dispute letter (always recommended) and asked them to provide specific information in writing about this debt as proof that I owe it. They replied with a lame response that gave me nothing I asked for except a "pay us or interest will continue to accrue." I have just sent yet another round-2 dispute letter, but not before I contacted my attorney which I informed them of in the letter should they not provide me with the specific info in writing that I originally requested and they continue to pursue this.
This bottom-feeder company and others like them pay anywhere from 1-3 cents on the dollar for their "accounts" and are ruthless in their attempts to get their $$ back. Just google "portfolio recovery associates complaints" (or any of your other favorite collection company names) and you'll see links and links to people's horrible experiences with them. Portfolio Recovery told one poor guy that he had papers "served" to him (unbeknownst to him at the time but later discovered, these papers were found tucked into the bushes on his front lawn)!!
When you get a collection letter and you question it, be absolutely sure to respond. If you're supposed to appear in court, do so, since by not appearing, these guys are winning by default. So much so that the prez of Recovery Assoc. has since started other collection companies due to their intimidating success. Protect yourself and Don't let them get you - if you're not sure about the debt, speak up!

falsifying information

I'm no expert on credit collections activities but I'm certain that chaning information in order to ### the age of an account in order to continue to collect is against the law. They are trying to harass collections on an account from 1999. They are reporting it as a "medical" account, which I believe allows them to collect longer and they have changed the opening age of the account to 2004. They refuse to validate the account with any type of written information. Yet the account is always verified for the credit bureaus. HOW is that possible?

• Gi
    Gina Apr 11, 2009

I also had a simular problem with this company. They changed the date of the account to last year (originally the date was 2005). Anyways, I would think that this is illegal. But these people are obviously dirty. The day after I spoke with him, trying to make arrangements to pay this debt, Very nicely by the way, this person
    contacted transunion and added $7.00 to the account to create new activity. Does anyone know if I can dispute this?