Payless Car Rental Logo

Payless Car Rental

Having problems with Payless Car Rental?

2350 34th St N
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 699000, Tulsa, OK 74169-9000

Complaints & Reviews

Horrible Customer service

500 Route 1 South, Wyndham Garden Hotel, Newark, NJ 07114, Tel: [protected], Fax: [protected]

This letter is to report a complaint about the horrible experience I had on July 3, 2008, about 5:30 pm at the above facility of Payless Car Rental. The entire experience was bizarre and very humiliating. The behavior of Ms. D.S. was extremely unprofessional, rash, rude, and intimidating.

I booked my car rental through Priceline.com. This was for “unlimited mileage” as clearly mentioned on reservation confirmation . By the way, this was deceptive in my opinion not to mention the geographical restriction on the Priceline reservation confirmation and rather mentioning this in the fine prints of rental policies on a separate web link. Even in the fine prints of the rental policy there is no mention that I need to declare names of all the specific cities I may visit.

The staff at the Payless Car rental asked for my driver license and my credit card and charged my credit card (American Express) for $368.43 (which was later voided). Then they asked me to specify which cities I will be going to. I told them I may go anywhere in the areas that is covered in your plan as "free" and colored green in your map. However, they kept insisting that I HAVE to tell them which cities I will be going to. I said I may also go to Philadelphia in addition to New England. I told them to please just mention in the rental car agreement that we may go anywhere in the "free" covered area. I found it strange and odd that they have to know and they have to specify in the rental agreement all the places I may visit in the next 10 days.

I am still mystified as to the reason for the way she (Ms. D.S.) behaved. She was full of attitude. She told me that she will not give me a car and cancelled my reservation. In my hand, I had a copy of the rental car agreement I had just signed and a customer copy of my credit card receipt. She came and PHYSICALLY snatched these documents from me and called the security. A few minutes later, one of her staff gave me the yellow copy of the rental car agreement/invoice and voided Amex receipt (photocopies of which are enclosed herewith). The entire episode happened in front of my wife and my son who were horrified and disgusted, and could not believe if this was really happening. Two security guards came and talked to me and my wife. He told us that this lady is "full of attitude and in the past she has had several incidents with other tourists including a female German tourist recently". We asked them why no one takes action against her. He said she "owns" this Payless car rental franchise.

I have rented cars on numerous agents over last several decades. Needless to say, I have never had any experience anything like this. I was totally shocked with what had happened today. I along with my wife and son then went back to Newark International airport (several miles distance) and rented a vehicle at National Car rental. The experience at National was pleasant, friendly and smooth. My 12 year son told me that why did not we come to this facility first. He is absolutely correct.

I would appreciate if a thorough investigation is done in to this matter and appropriate actions are taken. In my view, at the minimum Ms. D.S. and her company should be stripped of her Payless Car rental Franchise and people like these should be debarred from any participation in customer service. I would not be surprised at all if there are past complaints by other tourists against Ms. S and her Payless car rental franchise.

This was the first day of our long planned 10 day vacation and this experience at Payless ruined our vacation experience, and caused immense emotional and mental harm.

I plan to leave no stone unturned including a possible legal action unless and until appropriate action(s) is taken against Ms. D.S. and her Payless Car rental Franchise.

Resolved Bait and Switch

Bait and Switch. I had a contract for 129.40 and economy car in the Phoenix Airport. The agent there said there was an additional charge of 44.00 which was not on my receipt. Then he said I could upgrade to the next level for 8.00 more. The total would then be 211.00. When I left the airport, I checked my receipt and I was upgraded to a premium car! I called customer service and they said they could do nothing about it. They said to return it. Well, by that time, I was 30 minutes away after talking to customer service and then a supervisor. I even offered to split the difference. In fact, they said to bring it back the next day to exchange it and I would be charged the premium price and for the rest of my rental period the base rate! They basically said they wouldn't do anything. Hey, you get what you pay for. I am going to contest the charge with my credit card company, file a complaint with the BBB and send a letter to the president of the company.

• Ri
    Richard Cotey May 24, 2018

This recently happened to me in Phonex airport. The agent states a car has been cancelled and you can get a bigger car for only 15.00 per day. I didn't want to "Pay More" I wanted to "Pay Less". I see a trend in Phoenix... Be ware of the switch tactics. VERY BAD and very unethical. Payless should be ashamed. Rick

Rip off

We rented a car from Payless Auto Rental at Pearson Toronto Airport in Mississauga, ON, and sincerely wish we hadn't. Similar to what was written before, we were told upfront we would be paying $321 for 6 days. We chose it because it seemed to be a reasonably priced vehicle. At the end they charged us $600 for insurance, liability, and 'misc. fees'. I am a super-pissed off consumer, and wish I had seen the reviews in advance.

We have filed a complaint with BBB, but it looks like they don't even respond to the complaints. If anyone has advice for the best way to go about suing them, we are all ears.

• Ro
    Romero4life May 30, 2019

My car was impounded and Payless had to pick up I was trying to get threw to them for 4 days straight just got sent to same numbers that helped with nothing than got a threw got 2 ticket numbers they said someone was going to call me and help me with what was going on . No one ever called me and took it upon them selfs to charge my card over 1000 and I have received no call explaining the charges or no receipts to say or correspondence aswhat those charges are .

• Ro
    Romero4life May 30, 2019

Can’t even get threw to them after over a week trying and I think they stoked money from my card and I am going to file a lawsuit they can’t just take what they want out of my bank with no explanation

Resolved Refund for mistreatment

Our complaint is against Payless Car Rental of Cancun, Mexico. I have called, emailed, and written Payle...

Resolved No response

I tried to contact payless car rental cusomer service they failed to respond

i rented a car form payless the tires were bad when i tried to return they said they didnt have a car for 2 days there was a bad odor in the trunk of car i had to go to 2 different locations to get another car and they refuse to discount my final bill and then they said i returned to the wrong location but my contract said i sould return it to the airport location

why they dont have a line for complaints i dont know but hey dont communicate.

Resolved Overcharging

Booked on internet a week of economy car - on renting was told that the total would also include $10/day tax, however was charged $10/day tax twice on returning the car and despite showing the contract filled by Carlos - the reply was that he does not work here anymore (this is a week later) and hence whatever I signed was invalid. The cars also are old, dirty inside and the service is slower than I'd liked. I would not ever rent from them again.

Resolved Pathetic place

I just want to share a recent bad experience that I had from Payless Rental in Orlando, Florida. I flew in from Chicago; I had rented an economy car through orbitz.com. All was pretty standard fare. I arrived in Orlando, took the Payless shuttle to their off-site parking lot, went into their office to get my car. Once there, I was asked, as expected, for my driver's license and credit card. But then I was asked for my drivers' insurance card. I answered, that I don't carry that with me. The service rep answered in a very cool way that I was not possible to rent a car if you don't have the driver's insurance card. I was very furious the way she said, bring my anger back to normal I explained her that it makes no sense to me that I should carry with me for my own protection. And also told her that I was renting cars from 20 years and I was never asked for the insurance card, and besides, nothing on my Orbits confirmation receipt which I showed her tells me that I need to have this with me. She answered, that she doesn't care what the Orbitz receipt says, and that I have to have an insurance card with me, or else I she can't rent you a car. She proceeded to show me photocopies of scroll screens that appeared to be from Payless' own web site in the terms and conditions section. I asked her that I need to rent car and now that I am helpless please help me. She was so rude that she mocked me and simply ignored me. I think if it's their policy then they should inform their customers prior. I will never ever trust this foolish and lousy and of course pathetic place ever in my life.

• Le
    Leeto Aug 23, 2009

anonyMiss Sep 10, 2009

Or, you could have your driver's insurance card with you as required by law everywhere. Seriously. If you've been driving for over 20 years then you would know that that card is supposed to be with you whenever you drive, just like your driver's license. It doesn't get any clearer than that. In my opinion, you didn't have insurance, or you would have had your company send it to the rental car agency. Or you could have purchased their insurance, which if you were really in a bind, you would have. And I'm pretty sure right on your card it tells you to keep it in the car you are driving, not the car you own, the car you are driving, as the government requires that this verbatim be placed on the card. So acknowledge that you made a mistake, forgot your card, and move on instead of harping on someone who doing her job and wasn't going to let you drive illegally.

anonyMiss Sep 10, 2009

someone please remove this post, as it has been reposted more than once under different names word for word. thank you.

• Bl
    bluedevil Oct 18, 2009

Wow, i have a rental coming up with payless and that response just made me cancel it. I cannot believe that poster is so rude, and most likley works there. You guys might be cheaper but I do not feel like being treated this way when I get there, cross payless of my list!

anonyMiss Mar 17, 2010

oh yea, i totally work there, haha
    but why would that make a difference if you're the one who is not responsible enough to have your insurance card when you drive?

Resolved Phony, should not be in business Car Rental

This car rental will told me if I did not purchase their collision waiver a 350.00 charge will be charged to my credit card and held for several weeks. Did not understand that one. Why for several weeks why not just held for the 4 days I was renting the car. Instead of paying 131.00 as I thought I would be paying per the reservation I made. My bill was 206.00. The salesman had the nerve to make it seem as if he was doing me a favor. I would not recommend Payless Car Rental to anyone. They should be put out of business. I will never use them again nor would I recommend them to anyone.

anonyMiss Aug 06, 2009

This was a sales tactic to get you to purchase the CDW, he was waiving your deposit. I'm assuming you were paying with a debit card, which is why it would be held for several weeks and not released immediately. Banks have a different process than credit cards.

Anyway, he was doing you a favor, because there wasn't $350 in your account that you couldn't touch for a month. In my opinion, worth the extra $100. But if you don't see it that way, then look at it this way, when you add CDW you are not responsible for any damages that may happen to the car. Most people don't realize that when you rent a car you are responsible for putting gas, windshield washer fluid and all other fluids to replace what you used, besides worrying about body damage. CDW covers all that in most cases.

Resolved hidden geographic restrictions on ‘unlimited miles'

Payless Car Rental Montreal – hidden geographic restrictions on ‘unlimited miles’ A few...

Montreal Car Rental

Resolved misleading advertising, old wrecked car, overcharged

When making online Expedia reservations for a business trip with a car rental from Kansas City International airport, I selected Payless Car Rental because it is the only company advertised as being inside the terminal with cars at the terminal. When I arrived I discovered that both are actually a shuttle bus away along with all the other companies. I ordered a full-size car. When they led me to it (the only car in their lot at the time) I find a beat-up Grand Marquis land yacht that had been wrecked (entire front end repainted, and paint was already coming back off, plus big dent on trunk lid) and that had almost 48, 000 miles it. On the road it was also clear that the transmission was on its last legs. THEN when I returned the car after 27 hours, my $56 daily rental cost over $200. What a rip-off fly-by-night outfit! Avoid Payless Car Rental, at least at KCI -- unsafe equipment, overcharged rates, and THEY ARE NOT INSIDE THE KCI TERMINAL despite misleading advertising to the contrary.

• Wh
    Whiner May 23, 2009

It seems like that's the trend with Payless and Fox Car Rental and Expedia. No matter what airport you select, they always come up as being in-terminal when that's clearly not possible. It says the same thing for Phoenix, even though ALL rental cars are a bus ride away because there's no physical space at the terminals for rental car facilities.

anonyMiss Aug 07, 2009

Actually, it's not because there is no room, it's because it's a liability issue after 9/11. This is also why you cannot return a car at the airport and have the company come pick it up.

As for the vehicle, it's obvious that the car was soon to be retired, however, I fail to see how a car with that mileage would be unacceptable, as most dealers consider a to be 'high' mileage at 70, 000. (When most warrenties are up.)

It also looks like your rental was during the summer, in which case it's reasonable to expect few cars on the lot. They're probably all rented! Additionally, a Grand Marquis is considered a Premium car, not a full size because it is slightly bigger than a full size and has additional amenities. I have yet to see one without leather seats for example.

Also, dents happen. Accidents happen. Obviously if it was the last car on the lot, there were no other options. Also, the name Payless means that it's the cheapest rate. Everywhere. You are more than welcome to go to any other company. Hertz and Enterprise for example will have the same car but a difference of at least $100 a day in price.

As you had a reservation, the company was required to provide you with a car. And trust me, no one wants to puts you in a crappy car. If it was all that was available there's nothing that can be done about it, though I am sorry, I do want to state that CLEARLY but I hope I do not offend.

Now, you paid $200 for two days in the car, sounds about right, but I bet your reservation was for three days. Most companies have a no refund policy, as they are required to pay commission to the site you booked with. Additionally, when you return early they have an extra car they have to figure out what to do with and when you return late they are short a car. Some companies charge you an extra fee for returning early or late for this additional reason. And the way they view it is if you did not want the car you had that option before you signed the contract.

• Di
    Disgusted ex-customer Jun 19, 2016

To the comment: Who are you kidding? I have probably rented 500 cars over the years. I have never come close to paying $100 a day, much less $100 a day more than Payless. The most I've ever paid, taxes, etc., included, is under $400 a week. I had my own battle with Payless. They are totally corrupt, refuse any semblance of customer service, would not respond to me after calling unsuccessfully over 50 times and leaving messages, and wouldn't even respond to the credit card company when I disputed the charges they added without telling me. The dispute was settled in my favor, by the way, when Payless didn't even answer. I will never use them again.

overcharge

I rented a car on 9/07/08 and returned it 9/08/08. I did not make a phone revervation. I rented as a walk up. I was told that I could rent on a daily basis, and if I reserved it for three days then I would have to pay for all three days. Consequently, I told the service person I wanted to go on a day by day basis, so as not to pay for days not used. He said it was OK. HOWEVER, I was charged for three days, even though I only used it one day. For two weeks now, I have been trying to get a refund. I have also been trying to get them to send a copy of the contract they claim I signed. The paperwork I have does not have my signature on it.
These people refuse to address the issue and postpone it every time I call. They charged me $127.75 for one day of car rental. Their address is 3346 Kettner Blvd. San Diego, Calif.

• Ri
    Richard P. Oct 01, 2008

It's how car rental companies work lady. I work for the military and I travel an extensive amount for work, thus I rent cars a plenty. If you tell them you want a car for 3 days. It's going to be cheaper than if you would rent for 1 day. Thats how every business works, the more you buy the cheaper it is. From pizzas to bottled water, to computers and cds. The daily rate for 1 day would of been close to the three day rate anyways, it's how they work. It's a business. But if you would of just read what you signed, you wouldn't have this problem. Instead you want to slander a business for a mistake because you didn't read your contract. Your complaint holds not validity.

Unconscionable damage claim

I was on business attending a conference in Boulder, Colorado from August 1 to August 6, 2008. On August 1, I...

Customer service

Ms D.S., Vice President, Air Travel Rental Corporation d/b/a Payless Car Rental, 500 Route 1 South, Wyndham...

SCAM

About 2 weeks ago I rented a car from Payless at the San Diego location. Well about 2 days ago, I wa...

Fraudulent Repair Charges

After renting a vehicle from Payless at the Toronto airport location, my credit card was charged over $600...

over charge repairs

Payless Car rental at SFO has tried to charge my insurance company the full cost of replacement of a windshield for a small rock chip. The insurance company says they can fix that for 50 bucks and will not replace the whole windshield. As such payless says I am responsible for the full cost minus the 50 bucks the insurance co pays.
Seems like a scam to me to charge for a whole windshield when it could be fixed for less but I guess thats the rental car business.

Joe A Nov 28, 2007

My wife recently rented a payless car in tampa. i didn't fall for their bait and switch with the extra insurance. we returned the car in pristine condition and now they are filing a claim to my insurance company for what, i don't know. this is outright fraud. i had this happen to me years ago on a car rental in ireland too (with another company). DO NOT RENT FROM PAYLESS. THEY ARE FRAUDS. stick with major companies like hertz or national. i have never had a problem with them.

• Tt
    TT Apr 28, 2008

OMG! This happened to me too. Payless is a scam!!Never rent from them!!

• Lo
    Lori Sep 03, 2008

We have also rented a car at the Orlando airport location and received a bill today for $576.00. They are claiming there was a dent in the door. This ia such a scam. Can anyone tell me what to do or what they did? I filed a report to my credit card company and have not yet heard back from Payless car rental. Please help or give advice at [email protected]

• Fi
    Filipovic Jul 24, 2009

I rented a a car (Expidia.ca) with Payless car Rental in Montreal, Airport Hotel Hilton, initially charge was suppose to be 344.56 Canadian $.They made me pay extra $25 a day for insurance which I was ok to be on the safe side . They lied about unlimited milage.
    When return the car I had a very small stone chip on the rear bumper, sign the paper and took off for the plane to Europe.
    Next day they took $870 and two days later $850 from my Visa. I was stupid enough to think they have made a mistake and withdrawn same amount 2 times, but they did not think so. They do not answer my calls and it seems they do not care.
    I am Canadian working for NATO forces in Europe, this could never happen over here. Such a company would be closed by customer protection service next day, at least talking from my 3 years life experience here.
    So I am short for more than $1700 CAD, initially hoping I got a good deal for $344.56.
    I have contacted the Visa and now I am calling Expidia.ca to give them very hard time since they were the one to advertise this company on their booking website. This is the biggest scam I have experienced in my life.

anonyMiss Aug 07, 2009

It seems you must have paid for Renter's Liability Insurance which covers you on 3rd parties, not your rental car. To cover the rental car it is called Collision Damage Waiver. This seems expensive for a bumper, but I can promise you that the next customer would complain about the chip in the car. I'm not sure what a bumper costs to replace, but you need to pay for the product, installation, an administrative fee to those processing the claim, plus lost time and mielage fees for not being able to use the car. When you look at it that way...I dunno, to each their own. But if you have any doubts, you can ask for copies of pictures of the damage and insurance estimate.

anonyMiss Aug 07, 2009

Oh, and for Roger, you can't rent a car with a broken or cracked windshield. It's a liability issue.

Resolved False advertising!

I made a reservation for a rental from Payless Car Rental in Orlando. I asked for a economy car. When I arrived I was offered a bit nicer car at a added cost. When I declined the increased price and asked for what I reserved, an economy car which they advertised as a Hyundai accent I was given a Large Nissan Titan gas hog. I asked for a small car for economy, ease of driving and yes price. The car I was offered for an increased fee was the closest thing to what I reserved and was available but not given. I voiced my dissatisfaction but was told that was it. Take it or leave it. 11pm on a rainy night in Orlando doesn't give much opportunity to walk away. The truck was not the only thing available. Small cars were sitting all over the lot. No where in their terms was anything mentioned about providing what ever they choose no matter what was reserved. The only mention is economy or SIMILAR. A big truck is not similar. It caused much worry and concern and difficulty as far as driving and parking not to mention over $40 more in fuel than the car I reserved would have used.

• Th
    Theflyer Mar 27, 2010

I have the same thing happen. Recommend other complain to the Better Business Burea, Florida Attorney General and the Orlando Internation Airport.

Resolved Very poor customer experience

Payless offers a lower cost service online for car rentals. However, once you arrive at the desk to pick-up...