Olive Garden / no handicap courtesy

United States Review updated:

To whom it may concern,

I have a huge complaint with Oliver Garden at 700 N Central Expy, Plano, TX 75074. My family and I decided to go to Olive Garden to take our mom out for Mother's Day. My mother uses a walker and also uses an oxygen tank that is stored on the walker. Once we were seated the waiter came to our table and stated we were needing to move because my mom's walker/wheelchair was in the way and causing issues. We had informed the waiter we were just seated and we were not going to move. The waiter comes back with a manager and she stated we were being moved. So we moved to another table. The waitress informs us if we can move my mom's wheelchair because it's in the way. I informed her, we were not going to move it because it has her oxygen tank in there, If she couldn't work around it, we would just leave.

My concern is how we were treated and how Olive Garden did not care or cater to my mother's disability. We didn't complain to the manager due to fact they are the ones that moved us. From the experience we had at Olive Garden shows no integrity or compassion for handicap people. It just seemed we were an inconvenience. I assure you, my family and I will never come back to any Olive Garden at all. This is not the way my mom should have been treated especially it being Mother's Day.  We could've gone to another restaurant that was cheaper and better service than what we received at this Olive Garden.  It was unacceptable service and I assure you, we will never be coming back to Olive Garden. Olive Garden needs to realize this is a HUGE issue and was very uncalled for.

Former Loyal Customer

Ev
Jun 12, 2019

Comments

• Te
      Jun 12, 2019

You are a rude ass, refusing to move. They were accommodating your Mother's special needs, they just needed you to go to a different table; and you could have kept the oxygen tank on the seat next to your Mother or on the floor for the short amount of time you were in the restaurant. I'm sure they are thrilled that you won't be back.

• Mi
      Jun 12, 2019

No, you need to realize, handicap or not, your mother cannot block the exit. In case of an emergency, such as a fire, there has to be a clear exit for ALL patrons. The rights of your mother do not override the rights of the rest of the patrons.

•   Jun 12, 2019

Did you inform your server that you needed a table that could accommodate your Mom’s wheelchair? I’m in a wheelchair and eat at Olive Garden. I sit at a regular table and ask that they not seat anyone’s behind me as the chair is big. It’s electric so has a motor on the back. I back up a little then turn the chair sideways and motor on out. Regular wheelchairs need more room to maneuver so asking for a free space behind your mother is required.

I’m still learning how to maneuver around and always think of my safety and the safety of others. I make sure not to impede traffic around me.

Courtesy is vital. I’ll call in advance for a table in case the restaurant has to move things around.

“Oliver” Garden is accommodating if you think ahead.

•   Jun 12, 2019

I should mention that one time we were seated way in the back, away from everyone else. I felt like “she is disabled so has cooties.” My mom was angry because I was treated badly and she swore we’d never go back.

I emailed corporate and complained about my experience. I didn’t ask for free anything but asked that they be more sensitive to disabled people. I got a sincere apology from the manager and company. Future visits shows that they were doing things right and allowed me to choose our seats.

The server was retrained and by nicely emailing them, the issue was fixed. People have to be taught at times.