Nicor Gasshut off gas

D

My gas was shut off back in April 2009 due to non payment. My husband has been out of work for a couple years now. He works part time here and there as much as he can and I work part time. We are struggling just pay our mortgage. It hasn't been too bad during the warm months without the gas because we use very little gas in the warm months, but it is getting cold and my three young children are freezing. I received a letter last month staring if I paid a portion of the unpaid bill ($560.00) and no one has tampered with thelock on the meter that they would turn it back on for the winter months and the remaining balance could be paid in payments. I paid the amount requested and when we called tohave it turned back on they said they couldn't do it because we were on a payment plan a year ago and they only do it every two years so we don't qualify. If I don't qualify why did they send me the letter???? With the economy the was it is it is g etting harder and harder for people to be able to afford things. Look at how many people are loosing their houses and instead of helping Nicore is making it harder for people to be able to make payment arrangements. It used to be one payment plan every six months. Now it's one every two years? Are they crazy? It's not like people are going to skip out and go with someone else we are stuck with Nicor who can do whatever they want anc charge whatever they want and there is nothing we can do about it. We are waiting for a supervisor to call back, but a few years ago a supervisor was useless and when I asked for her supervisor she told me that she didn't have one? Are you telling me that the CEO of Nicor gas called me from their customer service department? I asked if she signed the checks for people at Nicor and she hung up on me. What can we do? I did exactly what was asked in their letter with the promise that my gas would be turned back on. If I had thought for a second that they would not be here to turn on the gas I would have used that money to pay other bills or to go stay somewhere with heat for my kids. I will be filing complaints with the ICC, CUB and BBB.