Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Logo

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU]

Having problems with Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU]?

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Oct 24, 2006. The latest review Mortgage refi process fiasco was posted on Jun 6, 2021. The latest complaint Horrible bank! was resolved on Oct 30, 2013. Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 158 reviews. Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] has resolved 40 complaints.

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Customer Service Contacts

+1 888 842 6328 (Member Service - Domestic)
+1 703 255 8837 (Member Service - International)
Navy Federal, PO Box 3000
Merrifield, Virginia
United States - VA22119-3000

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Customer Service. Initial Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU]. Discuss the issues you have had with Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Complaints & Reviews

Navy Federal Credit Union — Overcharged

Navy federal paid some checks my son had inadvertently bounced just before he lost his job, and as expected...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Customer commitment

Here's my letter to the board of directors, ceo, and vp of real estate lending that for some reason think I...

Navy Federal Credit UnionJust awful!!!

I will start off by saying that it would be nice if cutler dawson or any of the members of the board of directors took a strong look at the way there members are being treated. "once a member always a member" yeah right! Snap shot, 12 year member, two houses, three automobiles, four consumer or (Signature loans) , a credit card with a $30, 000.00 limit, a checking account and a saving account. First eleven years great year twelve a nightmare. I do not know if nfcu's collaboration with cig is the reason for the awful service to its members or if they are just petrified like the rest of the world regardless they make on average $2, 500.00 a month in pure profit alone. If this ever does reach any member of nfcus members of the board please understand that for the first eleven years you guys were great. At this point in my life based on the level of service and inconsistency among the different departments I would rather do business with a loan shark. You guys are awful, terrible, careless and unappreciative of your members faithful service. You truly should be ashamed of the business you are operating and I believe that if it continues you will self implode.

Thanks for taking my money.

• So
      SORRYBTHAT Jul 14, 2011

I am Not impressed at all with NFCU. I applied for a personal loan, and was gratefull they approved it. However, they mailed the loan to the wrong address (Physical vice PO Box as requested), then it took about 10 days to finally recieve the loan. I have made 5 request to have my mailing address corrected (each time I am asked a series of questions, as if I were being suspected of terrorism . I am waiting for a request for DNA to even have my statements mailed to me). I did not recieve any sort of voucher/or statement from NFCU (1st payment due). They started calling and making it sound like I was 6 months behind on payments (actually 3 days late). I tried to explain that I was waiting for some sort of statment/voucher. They claim that they sent a statement - you guessed it.. When I asked where they mailed it to mailed to the wrong address again. Now they give me a call every day demanding payments (which I have sent to them). I find overall their representatives to be Extremely Rude. They without a doubt need to be retrained in customer service. I am in the processes of getting another loan (Not from NFCU) and pay them off. Again, I would not recommend NFCU to anyone, and am sorry I ever started doing business with them (Bad Mistake).

• Ny
      NYQUIL Oct 24, 2010

"quit[censored]ing" your credibility is ZERO. Most of us have person an truthful stories to tell. I can't believe that someone without a person story to tell doesn't have better and more productive things to do with his time. Oh, I forgot, posting on these types of boards IS what you are paid to do.

• Ke
      Kelesis Jul 03, 2009

NFCU is all about profit now. If you haven't noticed by now, they are cross-selling the crap out of people who are calling in, have waited on hold for an ungodly amount of time and have a serious problem. Nobody wants to hear that crap during times of stress. NFCU has gotten too big for its own good and it is starting to show. Their service reps are generally good, but utterly powerless to help you if you need a little mercy shown due to loss of employment or something like that. They really are a commercial bank in all respects but the tax breaks they get for being a credit union.

kozaru Jun 14, 2009

Steve:

I think we are beginning to see the "self-implosion" of NFCU firsthand. The emphasis used to be "membership counts", now it's "rack up as many members as possible and brag to the world that we are the largest credit union in the country!" Remember Hertz's ad, "We're #2, so we try harder"? That was NFCU several years ago. Now that they have a large membership base and in some locations a virtual monopoly on servicemembers, customer service has gone out the window.

Pedro77: Just because an organization is non-profit doesn't mean Mr. Cutler Dawson or other high-ranking officers aren't pulling in a large paycheck.

You can see links to many similar stories at www.navyfederalsucks.com

Pedro77 Jun 10, 2009

I agree. Nothing nor no one is perfect and that includes all businesses. But acting like you are OWED something definitely doesn't help. I doubt NFCU will self implode though. I have an account with them and they seem to have things pretty straight there. Better than Chase or Citibank who are ALL FOR PROFIT and jack their rates up to 28% and have all variable rates and most of their employees are not "from around these here parts". Just stay calm and if you do not feel you got the best answer hang up nicely...then call back and explain your situation to the next rep. They are usually more willing to help when they hav a nice person on the other end. I have been in the same situation.

• Qu
      QUITBITCHING Jun 10, 2009

Hint...NFCU is non-profit. Try this-maybe if you didn't act as if they owed you because of your lengthy membership and many accounts and were instead thankful for they have assisted you with and understand that nothing is perfect and every business has some growing pains, then maybe they would be compassionate back and together you could find a solution for your dissatisfaction. But since instead you choose to complain to a website that doesn't effect how NFCU operates at all then nobody will hear you and nothing will change. It's a shame becuase I agree that not everything is perfect but I do know that they do seem to care about service to members-all members-not just those with lengthy service. I would assume most expect to be treated fairly whether a member for 1 day or 10 yrs.

Navy Federal Credit Union — Mortgage application

I recently filled out an online application for a mortgage with navy federal. My wife and I had spent week...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Loans

I am not sure how to start this complaint letter with navy federal credit union. The reason is there are so...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Taking money and not authorized

Taking money and not authorized to take it. Not only taking money from one acconut to use in another account...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Interest rate/credit limit

I contacted navy federal by email inquiring about who I should contact about lowering my credit card interest...

Navy Federal Credit UnionCredit card behind payment

I have auto loan and master card under navy federal credit union was behind payment because unemplyoment right.

• Ny
        NYQUIL Oct 24, 2010

USMC BOI, you sound like a "plant" for these "BANKSTERS". Who the heck to you think you are calling out somebody for being desperate? This person came to this board to get advice. If you've gotten back on you feet then good for you. After all, we can't all be as perfect as you. NYQUIL762

• Us
        USMC BOI Apr 13, 2009

Take your caps lock off and write full sentences off if you want to be taken seriously, your a loser, if you are behind on payments it is YOUR FAULT! I got laid off and already had a new job, you might have to relocate, but if you are not an idiot a company will still hire you. What does that say about you?

• Us
        USMC BOI Apr 13, 2009

Your an idiot!

Navy Federal Credit Union Visa ServicesUnfair credit card finance charge assessed

Dear fellow credit union consumers:

Nfcu recently assessed me a late-payment penalty-fee finance charge of $33.13 on my account because nfcu claims that I was late in my november payment. Unfortunately, I never received the november statement from nfcu, and was unaware that I owed nfcu $51.00. The finance charge of $33.13, on the payment amount of $51.00, comes out to a 65% late-fee assessment.In my opnion, this amount is outrageous, especially given the fact that I have been a longtime, loyal and devoted nfcu member, who has always made my payments on time.

I am deeply disappointed that nfcu would be very harsh, strict, and heavy-handed in its tactics with me, like this. As a result, I have decided to end my membership with nfcu.

Based on what I have said, which is based on the facts of my personal, negative experience with nfcu, you may make your own decisions about nfcu accordingly. I hope this info. Helps.

Pedro77 Apr 16, 2009

All credit card companies send out monthly credit card statements. If you don't recieve it in the mail...(could have been lost or stolen from mailbox, delivered to wrong mailbox, lost in mail, damaged at post office, w ho knows) how is the credit card company supposed to know u did not receieve it??? Besides, if a company lends you money (credit card, loan, etc) you should always realize that u are obligated to a monthly payment.

Navy Federal Credit Union — Ripping off my checking account

I was owed $78, 000.00 for over 5 years. Finally, it was paid into my password protected account, but I did...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Rip-off!

Navy federal credit union pulled a classic bait and switch on me. When I applied for the loan, the rate wa...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Scam and cheating

I have my account closed by nfcu when learned I filed a bankruptcy against them. My account is where my...

Navy Federal Credit UnionBad customer service

I received several phone calls on my cell phone today and yesterday from employees of navy federal credit union in reference to a credit application. Each time, I stated that they have the wrong number and that I would like them to remove my number from their system and do not want them to call again. After I inquired how they got my cell phone number, the callers informed me that someone provided my cell phone number as a contact number on an application. The name they gave me is actually someone who works for the same company where I work but there should be absolutely no reason that my cell phone number would be provided as that person's contact number. I have had to explain this to five (5) different callers today alone. I asked two (2) of them to let me speak to a supervisor or manager and both became very argumentative and refused to transfer me, citing reasons such as "there is no need for you to speak to a supervisor" (Caller's name 'lynette', around 2:30 pm today) or "you're not even a customer. " the last caller around 5:20 pm today even hung up on me after refusing to transfer my call to a supervisor. Several of the callers explained that the number was deleted but will not be out of the system until midnight tonight and that I would keep getting calls until then. Translation: I am still receiving calls from them on my cell phone while I am at work, about every hour now. As I am typing this, I received another call form them, called back their 800-number and the operator hung up on me as well after I asked for a supervisor.

• Nf
            NFMEMBERUNSAT Feb 16, 2010

That seems typical
            I use Navy Federal in Hawaii because I refuse to use a Japanese bank. I still have a mainland bank for my military direct deposits but i use the Navy Federal account for my daughters school payment and for cashing check. I have had to two car loans with them and a small loan. The first car i had a loan with was traded in to buy a new one and paid off, it took SIX months for the dealership to get the title. The dealership kept calling us and my husband had to walk into Navy Federal 3 times to get it straightened out they still sent the title to our address!!! Everyone we talked to at Navy Federal told us a different way to take care of the situation we finally realise we had to deal with the bank supervisors to get anything done correctly. Second car loan we paid off directly it took 6 weeks to get the title in the mail. No letter attached, no instructions from Navy Federal on what we do with the tile or what actions they did to the DMV in California speed up 1 year later we took out a small loan with Navy Federal and used the car for collateral paid it off got the title in the mail with no instructions on how to take off them as a Lienholder so basically they are still on there, they have been on there since I paid off the car loan and didnt take any actions with the titles DMV even though it is in the Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) system. So I'm annoyed and I'm starting the process of switching the title to a different state so I can sell the vehicle. I never had a problem with Car Loans before!!
            I'm so glad I never fully switched over to Navy Federal as my main bank from all the stories I read here and my experiences this is the worst unprofessional bank I've ever dealt with. They seem to hire new people all the time that don't know what they are doing and it's very frustrating. I realise know that most people that work for them are newly trained and don't now much so they have a attitude to cover the fact they SUCK at their job.

Do I feel the lower interest rates are worth, no because that only applied for when I was a new member but now they think they have me and don't offer as good of a interest rate anymore.
            I'm canceling my membership as soon as I leave Hawaii!

kozaru Jun 10, 2009

Interesting response from “QUIT[censored]ING”. To make the insinuation that people who have had a bad experience with a credit union and wish to share that experience with others have neither “sense or smarts” really demonstrates his lack of understanding as to what good customer service is and how free markets work.

Of course there is no monopoly and people can go where they please. It is feedback such as this that helps people make those decisions. Contrary to QUIT[censored]ING’s assessment of the situation, there are credit unions other than Navy Fed available to folks. Many of these offer the kind of service Navy Fed USED to offer. The false dichotomy of “you can choose Navy Fed or a bailout bank!” makes little sense, but then again judging by QUIT[censored]ING’s grammar and logic I wouldn’t expect much else.

• Qu
            QUITBITCHING Jun 10, 2009

You have HEARD-ever hear the saying believe 1/2 of what you see and none of what you don't. There is a reason for that, people lie, make things up and sometimes have no sense or smarts to be able to handle a situation like an adult. And if you read all the comments-most are because they complained and didn't get there way... This is not a monopoly-dont like the rate? the service? the fees? the whatever?? you are welcome to go to one of those institutions that will bow to your every need and then take all your tax money in bail outs. Navy Federal protects our members and our assets; without going out of business or taking your tax money. Be mad if you like that we will not be bullyed into making bad decisions. We have a board of directors and policies for a reason.

kozaru Jun 08, 2009

I believe this story. I have seen quite a few reports of NFCU becoming more and more like the large banks instead of the member-owned credit union it used to be.

The BBB rates them as "F". (www.bbb.org)

Take a look at navyfederalsucks.com to see a laundry list of complaints.

Pedro77 Apr 16, 2009

Or there could be the possibility that you could be a victim of identity theft. YOUR # was used on a credit application. Think about it. That or someone who works for you is avoiding paying back money they owed and nfcu needs to reach them. I would check your credit report either way.

• Wh
            whisper86 Jan 25, 2009

That wasn't Navy Federal then. No employee of Navy Federal would refer to account holders as "customers". Navy Federal is member-owned. Navy Federal also does not blow up phones in reference to credit applications. Sounds like someone may have been past due on an obligation.

Navy Federal Credit Union — Harassment

I have been a member with navy federal credit union for years paying all my bills on time every time until...

Navy Federal Credit UnionDon't ever do business with them

They were a good company 30 years ago, but certainly not now. Their personnel now are rude and hateful when you call asking about your account.

After all the usual, "making sure you're the right person", they have cut me off, re-routed me to another person, and cut me off again. You have to go through an ungodly amount of menus to get back to the right dept... Just to be cut off again.

I even had one person say to me, "you're taking up someone else's phone time" when I asked about my account.

I agree... Don't ever do business with them. We quit them after over 30 years and are glad we did.

• Bj
              bjd May 14, 2009

I totally agree...they are not consistant in their business and defiantely not professional. They make you feel like your taking up there time. Bounce you from one to another and still you never get the assist you need. Cold as Ice! In my 55 years I have never seen a bank stay in business like this. How do they get away with it?

Pedro77 Apr 16, 2009

I agree with the above commenter.

• Wh
              whisper86 Jan 25, 2009

I think you are wrong. All of my family members are longtime members and my father signed me up as a teenager. I have tried to do business with other financial institutions just to expand on what I already have with Navy Federal, but I have NEVER found another bank/credit union that can compete with Navy Fed. I have always found the phone agents to be friendly and willing to help, but I rarely need to call because I make use of their online banking. The only people I know that have had issues with Navy Federal are people who don't want to pay their bills, are not savvy enough to understand the technology utilized by the credit union, or just don't take responsibility for their own accounts.

Navy Federal Credit Union — Lost title

My husband and I purchased a vehicle from a private seller who had a lien on the vehicle through nfcu. After...

Navy Federal Credit Union — They are absolutely with a doubt unreputable!

I contacted the consumer loan department and asked what the latest day was I could make a payment on my loan...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Bad manners in which they treat their customers

I would like to file a formal complaint against a branch of Navy Federal Credit Union. The bank manager...