National Tire and Battery (NTB)oil leak

I went in to get a regular oil change in the summer of 2008. I had thought, at the time, that there was a possible oil leak, and asked if they could just take a look for me. BIG MISTAKE!! Next thing I know, the mechanic came back and told the front clerk about "the list" of parts that needed to be fixed. Now I knew there were some minor issues because it was a very old, well driven Honda Accord, but they weren't sufficient enough to hurt the car permanently. When he read the total it was estimated a little over $3, 000, which was more then the car was even worth! But after some scam artist convincing, I ended up going ahead for one part that "needed" to be replaced. After I had left the car there for a day or two, they said it was done. I went, picked up the car, and started driving home. About a week later, I noticed that as I stopped the car (stop sign, stoplight, parking, etc.), the hood would start to smoke. I called up to NTB and explained this to them, and they said it was just oil that was spilt when replacing the O-ring. So I shook it off, and continued driving. About four weeks later the condition had gotten worse. Now when I stopped it was swarms of smoke coming from the hood. I was mortified because people kept yelling at me from other cars saying, "Your cars on fire!". I had taken my car back numerous amounts of times, trying to get it fixed. This resulted in me paying for "other damages", and yet the car was still smoking. It was now almost the summer of 2009. I didn't know what else I could do so, I ended up selling it. I didn't try to scam anyone, I told every prospective buyer about the problem I was having with it. I ended up selling it for $300. AHH!! It cost me more for the initial o-ring replacement. The new owner gave me a call about two weeks later, and said that the o-ring was put on crooked!! I had spent over $600 dollars in "repairs" and sold my car for only $300!! And there wasn't anything really even wrong with it! They screwed up, and made me pay for it!! When I went to talk to them about it they said, they couldn't do anything about it!! Screw NTB!!!

• Cp
    cptx Sep 24, 2009

how was the mechanic ?? is he still there ? don't want him working on my car. i patronize that store.

• Cp
    cptx Sep 24, 2009

i meant 'who' was the mech. ???

• Sm
    S Mox Dec 20, 2009

I stopped visiting the NTB in Cedar Park for a host of reasons with the primary one being: they are a band of wannabe mechanics and managers. Good luck as it's difficult to find anyone reliable and honest that can service your vehicle. Most important though is to stay away from the Jiffy Lubes, NTB, Sears, etc., when looking to have any repairs done.

Steve M.
    Cedar Park, Texas

• Bt
    B.T. Feb 17, 2010

I work for NTB and I would never have my car repaired there. If it's any consolation they treat thier employee's as bad as the customers. I've had five pay cuts in five years as company profits soar. I've been a Mechanic for 35 years and I've never seen greed like this company puts on. They charge every customer a "shop fee" this is equal to the Las Vegas Mob "skim of the top" of the 50's. Then they threaten us for buying the supplies this "shop fee" was intended to buy. They net millions yearly off this one scam. FREE MONEY

As we speak they are working on the next pay cut for Mechanics. Not for me, I've had enough.