Mr RooterFraud and scam

Earlier this summer I had a company install a sump pump in my crawl space. As a temporary measure I ran a cheap 20 ft flex line into the yard. Last week I hired Mr Rooter to run a permanent drain line to the street (70ft.) They quoted $1, 645 which I thought was high, but worth it if the company did quality work. They started the work the next day and spent 2.5 hours on the job and stopped 20 ft short of where the line discharged from the house and about 6'short of the street... Instead of attaching the line to the discharge pipe they tied it into my temporary plastic line and buried it. Altogether they ran 50 ft of pipe which retails for about $30.00 and spent 2.5 hours on the job (one man) and charged me for $1, 000 labor and $600.00 in parts. In addition, the line is running uphill and doesn't drain properly. Unfortunately, he managed to get a check from my wife before he left.

When I called the owner I got the run around. His only excuse was 'your a grown man and you signed the agreement...' He refused to tell me their rates and had no excuse for the cost of the parts. When I pressed him on the labor cost he said they charged $162.50 and had to charge for a full day. I offered to pay 50% and he refused, so I informed him I was stopping payment on the check and I hung up.

The next day his office called me at work and asked if I really stopped payment on the check. With a big smile on my face I said, 'Yeah buddy.'

It's your move Mr Rooter!!!

• We
    Westside Wild Man Dec 04, 2017

Our landlord had Mr Rooter come out due to the main drain line under the mobile home we rent is clogged up. The technician was here less than 15 minutes and did absolutely nothing, as it was too dark out to see. I have no idea what they charged our landlord for doing nothing, I can only imagine
    First off they did not show up in the time period they said they would be here, otherwise it would have still been light out. Then he leaves without letting us know and left our gate sitting wide open.
    I pointed out to him where the bathrooms are located in the house, the septic tank and drain field are. He was only interested in calling into the office he works out of.
    I called the location he works out of and was told that they could not come back out for well over a week, just to snake a line out. I have a feeling that he was or is not a licensed plumber, otherwise he should have been able to do the job. He looked to be either in his late teens or early 20'sat the oldest.
    I am not a plumber, but I know how to snake a drain line, either thru the vent pipe going through the roof or via a clean out.
    This is the first and the absolute last time that either I or our landlord would eveduaeMrRooter. There are too Manu other companies out there such as Metro Rooter, RotoRooter and others that do thus work and will tell you up front what aservicecall will run.
    So do your homework in advance and check a company out. I checked theBBB and Chamber of Commerce web sites before writing this, and all four Mr Rooter franchises in the local area have a F- rating with them.

• De
    Debra Kay Eason Feb 04, 2017

I've been taken by Mr Rooter here in Savannah Georgia.
    Two visits and problem is worse. $1200 and no answers.
    Warranty is bogus. Never use them again.

• Am
    Amanda Sweeney Dec 26, 2016

I had to wait to right this because I was so upset. First, my appointment was from 8:00-10:00 AM, they showed up after 7:00 PM. (YES, I took the day off of work for nothing?) The worker was dirty and left tar like substances all over my bathrooms (see picture). The worker replaced a valve in one toilet which now takes 1 minutes and 6 seconds to fill (1:06.84 according to my phone stopwatch) to fill. The flapper in another toiler was replaced, but the worker left the chain too long and it was getting caught under the flapper (see picture). The worker should have heard it, because HE left the toilet running. I had to tie up the chain. (It only takes 20.13 seconds to fill). He also repaired two sink popups. One he replaced, and he should have replaced the other too, because although he reattached it, it doesn't close (see picture). You have to push it in to close it all the way. They claim they gave me a $100 discount, which is what their TV commercial advertises. I also have a magnet that gets me a % off of services. It bologna, because I have since called another plumber, and people have told me I got ripped up with "my discount".

• Be
    Beverly Buck Aug 05, 2016

Return-Path: <[email protected]ces.google.com>
    Delivered-To: [email protected]
    Received: (qmail 31607 invoked by uid 78); 25 Sep 2008 23:01:37 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO ns-mr35.netsolmail.com) (10.49.16.222)
    by 0 with SMTP; 25 Sep 2008 23:01:37 -0000
    Received: from mail-gx0-f76.google.com (mail-gx0-f76.google.com [209.85.217.76])
    by ns-mr35.netsolmail.com (8.13.6/8.13.6) with ESMTP id m8PN1ah6012372
    for <[email protected]>; Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:01:36 -0400
    Received: by gxk20 with SMTP id 20so82196gxk.4
    for <[email protected]>; Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:01:36 -0700 (PDT)
    DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
    Vs52LExLUajC8/X8FIMw==
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Reply-To: [email protected]
    Received: by 10.90.69.15 with SMTP id r15mr306458aga.1.[protected]; Thu, 25
    Sep 2008 16:01:36 -0700 (PDT)
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
    From: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:01 PM
    Subject: [email protected] shared this with you: Suzanna Gratia-Hupp: What the Second Amendment is REALLY For

Sent to you by using Google's sharing button

Suzanna Gratia-Hupp: What the Second Amendment is REALLY For

Here's what you can do next:
    Learn more about Google's sharing button

• Ju
    Julie Vaughn Jun 07, 2016

Just recently got scammed by my local Mr. Rooter and it makes me furious. Had a clogged main pipe in our basement that was causing our kitchen sink to not drain and leak into the basement and after doing a lot of snaking of the drain myself and not getting anywhere from the basement pipe, I thought that perhaps my equipment just wasn't up to the task. Called Mr. Rooter because I thought this would be a fairly quick, one time job. They didn't give me any rates or cost estimates, but said they would come check it out. They came tomorrow and all the guy brought was another snaker, the same heavy duty size as the one I had already used, and did that for about 20 minutes then called for back up for some reason! Two guys using 1 snake on one pipe...and since I don't know the rate, I bet they charged me double for having another plumber there. So, 45 minutes or so go by and he says that he can't fix the problem but demands I still pay for the "service" with a grand total of $273.00 with a $19.95 "travel" fee. Insane, but I didn't know any better and paid the man and then went down stairs to see that he did absolutely nothing at all. I called for them to return and complete the job I paid for, unclogging a pipe. They returned with a water jetter and charged, up front, another $347.00 before they would do any service at all. I trusted them to their guarantee that they could declog it so I paid and hoped to just be done with this plumbing issue. BUT NO, they used the water jetter for another 20 minutes or so, came back and said the water is not going down, perhaps you have a broken pipe. They went outside to call whoever "experts" at headquarters and came back 20 minutes later saying it would cost $4, 000.00 extra to dig up the pipe and repair it. I was shocked, their expressions were dead-serious and that was when I knew they were not to be trusted ever again. He offered to come back tomorrow with even more gear and cameras to testing out the theory (Even though he already told me the pipe was too small for a camera) and that would cost me more money too. I flat out refused and refused to sign the form saying I was satisfied with the completed job. He got angry at me and said I had to sign even if the job was not completed. He basically did nothing for $700.00 and a shoddy diagnosis of a broken pipe. Called the office to ask for a refund of some sort, maybe even just partial but no, they would not hear it and said I paid for the service I received. The manager even said he would put the $700.00 towards the $4, 000.00 bill if I wanted, yeah right...no way. I will have to take this matter to court since I paid with debit card and they will not refund at all. I also now have to pay another company $2, 500 to find and fix my pipe problem IF it is broken at all... Don't go with Mr. Rooter, they are a huge franchise that has no concerns about giving quality work or helping customers. The two plumbers that came seemed inexperienced and also left lots of water on the basement floor and a pile of sludge from the pipe, they didn't close the pipe and just left it there in both visits. I wish I had stopped at the first visit and gone with someone else. Their business practices seems very shady and manipulative and I was not guarded enough about them. Never again. Go somewhere else, look at reviews, get many estimates if possible. I'm down $700.00 and still have a clogged or even broken pipe. You can and will get better deals and better service else where, places like this and Roto Rooter should be shut down based on unethical business practices and protecting consumers. They use a Mr. Rooter App that adds up service costs but of course won't let you see the real costs until you get the emailed receipt. They won't even send me the 2nd receipt because I didn't sign their satisfaction form. That is not right at all. I would never ever ever recommend Mr. Rooter to anyone, I would actually warn them from ever using them if I ever heard their name mentioned again. Terrible terrible experience, and I'm wiser and poorer for it now. PLEASE AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS. I read around and in Ohio the State Attorney actually filed a case against them from all the complaints they received, one being where they conned an elderly couple into racking up $20, 000.00 in service fees/charges after coming to fix a $147.00 problem and suddenly finding "more problems that needed attention".

It really sickens me that there are companies and businesses that run like this (especially since I was duped of course). I will be taking this to court and have filed my claim against them to refund my money for an incomplete job, bad service, and vague pricing rates. I don't know if $700.00 seems a lot to any of you, but with hospital bills for my mother and one of my kids, $700.00 is so precious, not to mention the $2, 500 I have to find to pay someone else to fix the plumbing so we have a working kitchen sink and no more water damage.

Sam Burkett Oct 05, 2015

A contract is a contract is a contract. if they did not perform the work as per the contract, you have every right to cancel the check. First, you must give them a chance to come back and correct the issue to the contract. if they do, write them a new check because that is what you paid for. if not you may contract another contractor and subtract their cost from what their bill is and pay them the difference. i would tell them that you were going this prior. I am a project manager and that is the law. you will not lose the case in court due to the fact they breeched the contract.

Jay the Plumber May 06, 2015

I am a plumber and compete with MR Rooter. Its funny how people think that just because a man completes a job quickly people think the prices should be low. Often I use tools that cost $3500 to $5000. When I show up in your driveway I am carrying up to $90K in tools and equipment. These tools make my work fast and affective but they ware out and your dollars pay for them. We aren't coming to your house to play with your human waist for fun. If you hire some guy to show up with a "snake" and unclog your drain ask yourself "did he fix my problem or just knock a hole in a clog?" and then ask "how would that guy know?"
    Pricing is a funny thing. Some of my competitors make a living quoting $125 for a job and walking out with a check for $1250. Sometimes they are stealing from you sometimes they are doing you a favor.

• Tr
    tripleH Feb 26, 2015

I also work for Mr. Rooter. And I know for a fact that we do not charge a penny for standing there and doing nothing. We only charge if the job gets done. No charge by the hour, No charge for an estimate. No charge unless we make a difference in your plumbing. In my opinion, no matter how upset or angry people can be, we should never treat each other badly while writing comments about a business. And I concur in Mr. Rooter being individual franchises and that not all of them are ran the same. Although, they all have the same guidelines and rules, and would not charge anyone for an estimate for a job. There is no excuse for someone doing their job incorrectly. But if someone isn't happy with the work, call them back and tell them to get their butts out there and fix it. And they will! No one wants to be slandered or lose business over a bad job. Know your rights as a person. You paid for it, so it has to be done right. No one in their right mind would pay someone to clean their house if they didn't finish. But wouldn't you rather have them finish rather than not paying them? And just so everyone is aware, it is Extremely expensive to run a plumbing business. I know. I see all the bills. And If anyone thinks they are being robbed of their money, remember that plumbers and owners of plumbing companies are anything but rich.

• Wr
    WriteLoudly Dec 13, 2013

Mr Rooter should be the LAST company you call for plumbing services. Recently had a wax gasket replaced which took all of 20-30 mins and they charged $360 for what should have been time and materials. A wax gasket runs $5 - $12 max. and are you telling me a Mr Rooter hourly rate is $350 to justify that price?! Serious RIP OFF. Go with the local guy and make sure you call around or google for reviews - don't assume just because they are a Corporate outfit they are honest or even good.

• Ha
    Hate Crooks Jun 04, 2013

From Jllo: "Mr Rooter is a business. They are there to make money." And that is all they care about. It's pretty obvious.
    "Boils down to being a person. You called, you got the estimate and you agreed. Afterwards you stop payment on the check. What a child". Ok, it's clear that you are one of the Mr. Rooter scam artists. Did you not read this part from the original complaint?: "They quoted $1, 645 which I thought was high, but worth it if the company did QUALITY WORK (emphasis added)... Instead of attaching the line to the discharge pipe they tied it into my temporary plastic line and buried it. Altogether they ran 50 ft of pipe which retails for about $30.00 and spent 2.5 hours on the job (one man) and charged me for $1, 000 labor and $600.00 in parts. In addition, the line is running uphill and doesn't drain properly."
    Do you not understand the problem here, Jllo? How do you think Mr. Rooter should respond to this? How about FINISH THE DAMN JOB!

• Jl
    Jllo Mar 14, 2013

Mr Rooter is a business. They are there to make money. They do not charge by the hour but have "book" prices for things. Sometimes their book prices are not bad, sometimes they are outrageous. For instance you may need one elbow changed in a drain. Mr Rooter has no book price for an elbow. They charge for the whole assembly.
    I have had 2 quotes from them and yes I though the price was high both times becuase of the "book" pricing. But both times it was very clear how they price and what those prices were. As a grown man I have the choice to pay or hire someone else. I would not agree then cry later. I always get a few estimates and go from there. For emergencies they actually are not bad because you'll never pay over the book price. Other plumbers can and will add fees for short notice or after hours service calls.
    Boils down to being a person. You called, you got the estimate and you agreed. Afterwards you stop payment on the check. What a child.

• Sc
    ScammedByMrRooter Nov 05, 2012

Impersonal Auto Response!!! A scam report and two blogs have been created to reveal what it is really like to deal with them from the ground up. At this point, they have not proven to behave any differently than reported!

• Sc
    ScammedByMrRooter Nov 01, 2012

I absolutely agree. My mother and I were a victim of a Mr. Rooter scam. Now, while their prices are high, that is not my problem It is the lies and deceit through the entire process, with them taking $20, 267.05 and never improving the problem that they were contracted to address.

• Mr
    mrrooter_waterford Sep 17, 2012

Charged me $300 for 20 minutes then tried to say I was given a up front estimate which I was not. Beware this company will rip you off!

joeygunz Apr 10, 2012

I scheduled an appointment to have my septic tank pumped out a week prior to the appointment date. I was told that the truck would be at my house in the early afternoon on the day of my appointment. I left work at 11am to be home for the serviceman, who never showed up. I called at 3pm, again at 5pm and was told both times that he would be there soon. I had to miss my night college class to wait for him, and by 8pm their office was closed for the night, my tank was never touched and I was never contacted by anyone. Do yourself a favor and call any other company in the area. DO NOT CALL MR. ROOTER!!

• Du
    duster902 Feb 11, 2012

I was having problems with my sewage backing up into my yard. So I called Mr Rooter and was told that I would get a free quote. James, from Mr Rooter, came to my house. He walked in my back yard and said "I don't think there is anything I can do for you", "let me call a more experienced guy", so he calls a man named Eric. Eric tells James to tell me that he will come out the next day to run a camera through my pipes. The cost 291 and some change. Fine, I give them my bank card number and wait for someone to call to set up the appointment. No one call. I call them. They say someone will be out later that day. I call other plumbers and get better pricing quotes so I call Mr Rooter back and cancel the appointment. The next day Eric from Mr Rooter is calling me saying he will come run the camera for free. I was like great...free is awesome. He comes out with another guy and then run a camera through my clean out which is full of sewage. They get a few feet out and the man running the camera says he cant go any further. SO they come to the conclusion that they are in my septic and that my septic is full. Great, lets empty the septic and move on. Oh, no...that's not what Mr Rooter wants to do. He calls the city and the city water people come to my house and say they don't know if i am on city or septic even though I am paying a sewage bill. They say they don't know until a problem happens. They say they will put in a tap for me to connect to the city for free. So the city comes out and spends three days digging and looking for a pipe. They cant find it so they just installed a new tap. Mr Rooter says it will cost $7, 000 to dig my yard up and replace the pipe. Its about 60 feet of pipe. Well I was like there is no way I can afford that. I said lets just empty the septic. As soon as Mr Rooter sees that I am not going to be handing over a $7000 check, he magically cant find my septic that 2 days ago he swore was in this spot and that his camera was in it. So I send Mr Rooter on his merry way. I call A-1 plumbing. They come out and camera and snake my line. There was roots growing in the pipes. They pulled them out and my sewage is flowing beautiful now. Cost me $400. I have to put copper in my water once a month to help kill the tree roots. I will eventually have to have the pipe replaced but was quoted $2500 from A-1 plumbing. Less then half of what Mr Rooter was trying to charge me. I am on city. There is no septic to be found. Mr Rooter was just trying to get $7000 from me. Oh and the "free" camera turned out not to be free. Once he "diagnosed" me as having a full septic he charged me $201 for the diagnosis. I am going to be contacting them and asking for my money back and if they wont I will be contacting the BBB. Mr Rooter is a rip off. They will take advantage of you.

• Da
    David8873 Feb 09, 2012

Had a water tank replaced by Mr. Rooter. The plumber told me up front it would cost $1400 and change. I knew that was really high, but I was interested in seeing what I would get for that money. The plumber showed up the next day with a Rheem Fury 40 gallon tank, which is the same size tank it was replacing. So far so good. While the guy was working, I went to the computer with the tank numbers and found 2 heaters with those numbers. One tank was over $800, and the other one was over $300. So, I called the Mr. Rooter office and was connected to the guy in charge. I just wanted to find out which heater I was getting, because the installer said he did not know. They guy would not address my question, but I ended up having him tell me the tanks cost him $600, and that I could not buy them for that price myself. So I ended up believing that I got the $800+ tank. This means the installation was about $600 if I go by the price the tank would have cost me if I bought it myself. I asked for a pan to be put under the tank with a drain going to a cellar floor drain. That was done. Even installed a new expansion tank. But I needed a new shut-off valve for a line going to my humidifier. The plumber offered to replace it for an extra $100. I agreed. I'm not angry, or dissatisfied about the work or the cost of anything. I agreed to all this up front. It was an interesting experience. Bottom line is, I am happy with the new water tank, and the installation. They do come out really fast. I got Mr. Rooter the same day for the estimate, and the next day for the installation. Compared to a local individual plumber, the price is high. But I guess there is a premium on fast service. Kind of like buying stuff at a convenience store, instead of a supermarket. Don't call them if you are not in immediate need, or are unable or unwilling to pay higher prices.

• Ed
    Ed Fletcher Jan 23, 2012

Do not use this company!! They are a perfect example of grifters - petty swindlers. They quoted me $3000 to cut an eight foot long
    sectiion of concrete and install a new PVC pipe. They said it would take a day and a half of labor. I agreed because I thought my
    insurance would cover it. They finished in FOUR hours! When I complained to their general manager, he changed the bill to $1500 and said the concrete was not load bearing so it didn't take as long. Another plumber quoteed me after the fact $1200. Do not go
    with a natiional chain - they charge too much to pay for their advertising.

• Je
    Jelisa Jan 13, 2012

I called Mr. Rooter because I needed someone to come out that day and they were the only ones in my area that had an open spot. They are great on coming when you need them but the problem starts when they get there! I am a 23 year old college student, so yes I am on a budget but I would also like to use my toilet take a shower without it getting backed up! I told him the problem and without him even looking at anything, he pulled out his price book and with a straight face told me it was $348.40. My jaw literally dropped. But I needed it done and he said it came with a free checkup so I said great go ahead and do it. He took one toilet off and snaked it. That was it, he said problem solved. I paid and after 30 minutes he was finished. A week later, the same problem. I called and the lady who answered remembered me and I explained to her the problem and they said it would be a free service. So the same guy comes out and he checks the toilet and said it's the same problem. But get this, that toilet was NOT used during the space between the visit which was about 4/5 days, my roommate and I shared the other toilet in fear of something happening to the toilet again. Instead of him checking both toilets the first time he only did one, even though I showed him both bathrooms and that there was waste stopped up in both of our showers. He said it would be another $348.40! I was outraged and called the lady back and she was like "Oh I never said that!" So I ended up getting no where and paying AGAIN! I will NEVER use them again. I actually had a broken pipe, not a clogged toilet. My landlord came into town a few weeks later and fixed the pipe for me for FREE since I am a great tenant!

Maddy P Jan 13, 2012

I'm a single mother of 3 grown daughters 2 of which live with me with their significant others and 3 small children. So 8 of us living in my modest 2 story home. Currently I am the only one working. As you can imagine money is tight, My youngest daughter and i pulled both toilets in my home and rented an auger to try and unclog my main line drain...after 4 hours we gave up $50 literally down the drain for the rental of the auger from home depot . I finally called Mr Rooter the plumber took looked at the drain hole in my bathroom floors and said $198.00 not having much of a choice I allowed him to work on the clog. He said since we pulled the toilets it was "only $198 otherwise it would have been $355. 1 1/2 hrs later he said he cleared the clog, said it was feminine products clogging the drain...said make sure not to flush them..got his money $50 cash and 148 on a credit card. He didn't offer to put the toilets back. So I put the main one back in myself and I had purchased a new toilet for my bathroom because before we figured it was a clog I though my tank had a crack...still in the box i figured I could put it in the next day since by now it was late and I had to work the next day long story short the clog wasn't cleared when i called to at 12am Mr Rooters customer service oh don't worry you have a warranty we will send someone out in the morning. The plumber came in and looked at the receipt and said oh there will be a service charge because there's no warranty..I told him I was told there was and besides the guy that came out on Sunday didn't do his job we still had a clog...cant use the toilets or the tubs...he left I called Mr Rooters customer service and spoke to Toni he was so rude and condescending I said if i didn't work for my employer he wouldn't pay me so I'm go to dispute the credit card charges since they didn't do what I paid them for. He said he would have a supervisor go out and check on the plumbers work...guess what he never showed or called. I called Tony again. he said supervisor said he called me and it was all straightened out...I told Tony he did no such thing...so I came home and did what I should have done before I ever hired these crooks and check on line to see if they had any complaints against them..low and behold...I read a few of the complaints and was sick I should have checked on these looser before I hired them. I figured they got my $50 in cash but I'm going to disputed the credit card charges..and explain to my credit card company yes I signed the receipt but that was before I found out they didn't do the job I paid them to do, and they did nothing to back up the "so called" work they did. NEVER AGAIN WILL I USES THESE CROOKS...IT WOULDNT EVER RECOMMED THEM TO MY WORSE ENEMY

• Al
    AL SHINK Jan 12, 2012

im glad he stopped the check i..my mother inlaw just got RIPPED OFF $811.00 TO REMOVE A GARBARATOR..IT TOOK MR ROOTER OF NEWTON IN SURREY BC CANADA AN HOUR AND A HALF...SHE IS A SENIOR AND WAS TO EMBARRASSED AND ASHAMED TO TELL US UNTIL WE SAW HERE BANK STATEMENT..MR ROOTER OF NEWTON YOU SIR ARE A ###!!! WE ARE TAKING MR ROOTER TO COURT IF THIS IS NOT RESOLVED A.S.A.P

• Lo
    LoneStarGal Jan 06, 2012

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! I used them one time previously but felt they overcharged. Like a fool I gave them another try, called for leaky bath faucet. Guy came out, quoted $325.00, said entire faucet need replacing and I must sign agreement before he removes faucet. WTF? How can he know that it needs replacing without taking in off. I said no way!. Scheduled another plumber to come out, part replaced, 1.25 hour job including labor was $132.50. NEVER AGAIN, MR. ROOTER!!!

• Th
    the plumber 001 Oct 04, 2011

i use to work for them they are robbers without a mask i was pushed in to selling their way and it was a ripoff im sorry for who i did work for under this company mr.rooter and their sister company conger plumbing they fired me because they could not pay their own bills and wanted to use my money to do so so i am glad to say i do not work there anymore .and just so you know this company was in winterville north carolina

Unsatistifed in Indiana Aug 03, 2011

Had a plumber out to help with poor water flow in the kitchen sink, the plumber was unable to fix the issue, charged me $200, and then had the nerve to say I just needed a new faucet which would cost $429 to put in. There rates are outrageous and they just try to extort more money out of you without providing a service. I will never use this business again.

When I called for a refund, I spoke to Denise, and she said "Mr Rooter Plumbing does not stand by the work they do.", after I asked for a refund since the plumber was unable to do the job. They were unwilling to provide a refund or acceptable resolution, after multiple calls.

• Ev
    Evelyn Wright Jul 26, 2011

The technician used a tool that left large brown stains in my toilet bowl. He didn't alert me to this fact. I called the company they never sent him back or tried to correct the problem. The supervisior never contacted me about the stains in my toilet.

• Do
    Don3 Jun 07, 2011

Mr adopter cam to my home in the DFW area. Told me my pipe was broken and they would come next day to dig under the house and repair the pipe for $8k. - told Frank I needed a second opinion. She said give me a minute and went out to his truck - came back in and said his manager said he could do it for $5k - told him I was now really going to get a second opinion - new plumber came out - cleared egg shells from pipe for $200.00. mr Rooter charged me $459.00 and was going to charge me $8k - Mr Rooter is a scam and fraud and I will be posting and blogging to ensure SEO of the information

• In
    independentthinker Jun 06, 2011

I had 'Mr. Rooter' who was DBA 'Worcester Gold' through ServiceMagic, come to look at a plumbing job. I chose them over two others whom I had used in the past only because they said they could complete the job that day. After trying to sell me a service agreement and add on work I didn't want them to do, he quoted me an outrageous price. When I pressed for a breakdown of parts and labor "We quote by the job, not the hour" and "The price includes parts and labor", he quoted me hundreds of dollars for parts I picked up at Lowe's for $34. When I mentioned my experience at my local hardware store, the response was "Those guys are crooks!" Seems their reputation precedes them. Only wish I knew ahead of time as it put me back several days on my project, but well worth the wait to have avoided getting involved with such an unethical business.

mandy123 Apr 18, 2011

I completely agree Mr. Rooter is a crook they over charge and are very unprofessional NEVER USE MR

• Te
    TekPete Feb 06, 2011

I seems to me that the job has been bodged by a cowboy. The job needs to be done properly. It's just not good enough that they've hooked to to your temporary pipe.
    Once they've done the job properly they can expect to be paid.
    -Pete

• Yo
    yougottabekiddinme Feb 06, 2011

"Unhappy Camper" I think your a nut! And that's a final answer. This guy from Mr. Rooter did a couple of different jobs for you? How can you complain if you call them back to do more work or have them do additional jobs while they are there?

And why would you praise the Rotor Rooter guy for his opinion. All that company has is armchair quarterbacks. I love their slogan "we hire as long as you can fog a mirror" pretty much says they just need a person in a truck...they really don't care if he knows what he's talking about!

Are you sure you had a person from Mr. Rooter or was it PRO ROOTER...cause that sounds more like that guys work.

UnhappyCamper7 Nov 11, 2010

How could I forget that he also knocked a support stud out of the wall while putting the tub in. Also just crammed the access panel to the tub in very crooked and off its door recess area, behind a new sink which can't be straighted out because the sink covers part of it. Doesn't look like he puttied the area around the faucet base on that sink either. Just stuck it on top.

chalie Nov 06, 2010

We were very satisfied with all of the work done by our local Mr. Rooter franchise. What I thought was just a simple clogged sewer line turned out to be a line that was broken in five places ... and I could see those breaks on their snake-camera as well as confirm two of them when the plumber dug them up. They cleared the line and repaired all of those breaks.

Once I saw he knew what he was doing, I pulled out my plumbing "to-do" list and asked him to do several other jobs. Even though it was getting late, he did everything I asked, did them well and cheerfully.

When I was younger, I'd have done most of these myself (except for repairing the sewer line), so although not a plumber, I have s0me idea of what and how to do this kind of work, and how long it would have taken me.

The prices seemed a bit high, but everything was quoted (in writing) after he did his inspections but before I agreed to have him do the work. Since everything was done promptly, properly, and done right the first time, the higher cost was worth it to me (if it was higher; I didn't get quotes, but do know how badly another plumber overcharged one of our neighbors).

Bottom line: I'll use them again and will recommend them to others.

UnhappyCamper7 Nov 06, 2010

And I totally understand why he said the work did not require a permit.

Master Plumber my foot.

UnhappyCamper7 Nov 06, 2010

Oh, and if those rubber gaskets to go and create a leak, the ceiling below will have to be busted out to repair it.

I still curse that guy.

UnhappyCamper7 Nov 06, 2010

I had a horrible experience with Mr. Rooter also. Waste drain on the tub they installed was not tightened and leaked to floor below. 4 foot hole in my ceiling from water damage. He tromped through my house over wood floors in all the wet mess during that repair, didn't think a thing about it, stuff splattered all over my kitchen cabinets. Guy didn't even apologize. All in a day's work I guess.

When Roto Rooter was out at a later time (mind boggling crooks) they said they didn't think the sink he installed was to code. And that he used rubber gaskets which dry out and crack. Makes me angry because I told him this work had to last a lifetime. He also used PVC. I hope that's alright. Have heard bad things about it.

He couldn't snake out the clog in my drain and couldn't hook up the tub stop (never did).
    Cut the water pipe to the shower head the wrong size. Soldered on another piece to correct. If that ever leaks the ceiling in my shower will go. Not an easy fix.
    He put a hose in the sink for some reason which flipped out onto the floor. He didn't even notice. Thank God I did.
    Told me the work did not require a permit. Well, it did. Might have saved me a lot of headache if someone had been watching over his work.

Topping on the cake was when he said he was off to whatever the next dump they'd scheduled him for that day.

I'm sure I've forgotten some things. One I won't write about.

Complete idiot. I will never trust Mr. Rooter again.

• St
    Stupid Moron Aug 02, 2010

The big name plumbing companies all are high priced. They have to be to pay for all there expenses. I worked for Roto-Rooter for 18 years before starting my own one man company. Most Roto-Rooter shops are corporate owned, Most Mr. Rooters are Franchise and owned by individual plumbers or partnerships. They both have to pay the corporation a fee and percentage of there profit and pay their own expenses out of whats left, such as the non revenue producing employees like dispatchers, supervisors and managers. I believe that the corporation paid for advertising for the most part. And in the case of the technicians / employee / plumber, they had their own expenses they had to pay out of their pay.
    Roto-Rooter required us to buy our own service van, put their decals on and insure the truck at a higher rate and ad them as additional insured. We paid for the fuel and maintenance and if we got into an accident, we were out of work till the van was fixed. We were paid straight commission of 31% to 35% of the labor charged.
    I found that most Mr. Rooters supplied the trucks and fuel to the technicians and paid a 20% to 25% commission.
    Either way, being on straight commission meant that if we did not close the job, we don't get paid. And the more we up sold the bigger the pay check.
    in the 90s I was working 6 days a week by choice and doing 5 to 7 jobs a day and had $1800.00 a week pay checks. and that was with an average job of only $165.00 each. But remember, I had to pay the truck payments, fuel and maintenance out of that.
    Now with the housing bubble burst and the economy in the dumps, the job count is 1 to 3 jobs a day if we are lucky and all may not be paying jobs such as free estimates. Less job count means the bosses are pushing their techs to up sell each job into the $600 drain job and $2000.00 plumbing job, or they cant stay in business.
    I my am going broke with the lack of calls and will be looking for a job soon if you customers don't stop calling the non-licensed handyman or doing it your self.
    If you customers think you paid to much, try calling a independent plumbing company next time, we have expenses too, but nothing like the big guys.
    But the days of the $75.00 an hour is gone, no one with a plumbing license and insurance can stay in business at that rate for long unless they milk the job by taking a lot longer to do the job. The flat rate price might seem high but it gets the plumber to get to the customer quicker and do the job faster and not waste your day.

• Br
    brad321 Jul 27, 2010

I want everyone to know that each Mr Rooter is independtly owned and operated so the complaints that u might have are with that franchise owner that Mr Rooter as a whole. Also just so u know i work for a Mr Rooter Franchise as a technician and if the stories u are telling are true i apologize because they did not do their jobs the way they are supposed to.

• Le
    Lesley123456789 Jun 30, 2010

It's always a good idea to get multiple quotes from plumbers or any other type of group of people you need working on your house. How else are you supposed to know what a reasonable rate is?

Also, to the person that said people don't complain about how much their doctors or lawyers charge, you are dead wrong about that, people complain about their lawyer fees and medical bills ALL THE TIME.

• Pi
    PissedOfWife May 22, 2010

Mr Rooter is a fraud/scam and a business of dirty liars. I called to ask about a tankless heater - the gal all happy said they could come out and take a look... needless to say she NEVER EVER mentioned anything about a fee for this... and my gullible husband was home because I couldn't get here fast enough from work... and they charged $70 bucks to stand here for 5 minutes and basically do and say NOTHING of use to either of us. ARE YOU KIDDING? And now it's a battle to get the *$^&$#$ to call me back - they can't even return a p0hone call. Today's message was left at number 8 over the course of 10 days. I have contacted my bank to ask about my options. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! The sad part is they really lost out - we have a kitchen remodel and a load of other plumbing jobs to do this year because this is a 1940's home with loads of "issues", honesty is the best policy. They will never get a referral from me... and have lost out on a lot of work at my house for their dishonest business practices.

• Mr
    Mr Rooter Youngstown Dec 13, 2009

DEAR WAYNE,
    THANKS FOR COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET AND ADMITTING YOU'RE A PLUMBER TRYING TO RUIN A COMPETITORS REPUTATION ON HERE BY SLANDERING THEM INSTEAD OF LYING MORE ACTING LIKE A CUSTOMER.
    WHAT A JOKE