Michaels Arts and Craftsproblem with returns

I tried to return an item that was packaged in a way that it had to be torn open and couldn't be repackaged. It was the workings of a clock that I needed to try and see if it would fit. It didn't. They wouldn't take it back because I had opened it. I had my receipt in hand. Since then I have contacted Michael's by email and all I get are form replies. They tell me that I can return an item in original condition. Now, how can you do that if you have to tear open a package to try an item out?? Now they don't even respond to my emails. This has been going on since July. Great customer no-service.

• Updated by Jody Phelan Knape · Sep 28, 2018

Rude manager and slip and fall hazards. Slipped on zip tie on the floor and noticed a toy car in isle where someone could fall. Told manager and she acted like I waisting her time.

• N3
    n3rdsteve Oct 15, 2018

The Micheals at settlers ridge store is currently set up where it is blocking access to a fire extinguisher. This can not happen.

• Do
    don'tQuityourDayjob Jun 30, 2019

You have the best hilarious reply "unlimited data plan" lol..."come on forum & whine" lolol

Jody Phelan Knape Oct 15, 2018

I was in the Michaels Natomas CA. I slipped on a piece of a zip tie that was on the floor.Luckily I didn't fall I just hit my arm on the shelf.I am ok but I thought I'd let mgr know so I gave her the zip tie that I slipped on.Also told the mgr I saw a toy car in isle and someone could fall.I sp w daytime mgr.Was rude acted like wasting her time.

Ann Tran Oct 14, 2018

My order number was [protected]. I ordered two items and my card was charged for 2 but the billing form just showed I paid for one and shipped me one. I need some explanation and refund!

Jocelyn Jamieson Sep 05, 2018

I bought some super glue from Michaels and when I brought it home I tried using it but even when I squeezed it really hard only one drop of it came out so I took off the cap to see if there were any glue in it and there wasn't any glue.

• Ca
    Carol Mosevich Sep 05, 2018

My store is located in Bolingbrook, Illinois. I was not allowed to use my 20% coupon along with my Senior discount. It was one or the other.
    That means I pay the same as a younger working person while I have only a SS income.
    Isn't that what the senior discount is for?

• Am
    Amandapahl02017 Sep 03, 2018

You guys had this on sale and on the coupon you guys had it said included on sale items. So I'm very upset because I spend thousands of dollars in here and i really wanted this storage thing. It's on sale for 51.99. I was gonna buy it for me for my birthday on 12.11. But I'm not for that. Anyway I'm upset.

Joann Cunningham Aug 20, 2018

I wanted to use my 60 % off twice. On 2 different orders. The cashier was rude. Then i ask to use 40% off coupon she said no. I never shop at your store again. Why give 2 coupons. If i can't use them. You lost a customer. I spend over 100 week there.

Joann Cunningham
    14230 north 19th ave apt 249
    Phoenix Arizona 85023

• Na
    Nathaly Alvarado Aug 14, 2018

I went to the Michaels at Vernin Hills IL at 3:19pm and I was surprised at the service there.My daughter goes there whenever she can because she loves art and making it.The fact that this employee was very rude and looked like he was very impatient with me and raising his voice at me is unbelievable.We just would like respect from your employees.

• Cr
    Craftinggirl Apr 09, 2015

Michael's regularly send representatives around trade shows to "see what's new, " stealing other people's ideas and designs, manufacturing the products cheaply in China, and profiting off smaller crafting company's developments and ideas. It's not a surprise that many stores and manufacturers in the crafting world are going out of business. Michaels has a Wal-mart mentality, and sells products as though they invested in developing them. They are unresponsive to those who claim their intellectual property has been stolen. Most stores have a high staff turnover rate, and they don't have the customer service that truly creative and customer-oriented stores do.

• El
    eline173 Nov 19, 2014

Michaels, recently opened in Muncie, IN. I stopped Monday and purchased a package of 5 MICRON PENS. I got 50% off. Only 2 of the pens worked. When I returned them I asked since I returned pens and lost my 50%off could she apply the 50% to this purchase an she didn't even say a word to me. and charged me full price. It wasn't my fault the pens didn't work. I am not a happy customer.

• Ri
    right 'type' of guy Nov 08, 2013

It's no surprise that Michael's stores get so many consumer complaints. Even design professionals are treated like trash by both the Legal Dept. and the CEO's office.

Despite two certified letters, numerous calls that went unreturned and a "we're bigger than you" mentality, I am the victim of a creative rights ripoff as a digital type designer who had one of his fonts used for the manufacture of derivative products, and the company won't even DISCUSS the issue with me, despite the fact they have profited from the sale of these items and I haven't.

This immediately made me a former customer as well... and while I won't take the easy opportunity of verbally debasing them in a forum, I will say that their ethic level must be bellw zero to not even respond to an issue and try to amicably find a solution.

Every dollar that company loses in reduced net sales is a point in the favor of anyone who has ever been victimized by them.

• Da
    dandy dan Aug 09, 2013

I have been a customer of Michaels for a long time and after 2006 I began to see a change in its operations and merchandise. At that time the company was bought up by Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group. They discontinued the quality products once carried and began to import products from their companies owned in China and other overseas companies. They reduced the staffing in each store while they continued to expand. They exported American jobs overseas, began hiring lousy management, increased the workload for employees while reducing their hours to get around paying benefits. They may be a 6 billion dollar corporation but they have place a 3 billion dollar debt on the Company. Every employee in the stores around the U.S. is overworked and underpaid, that includes Manager of the Stores. Management does not respect the employees and treats them as insignificant. They are constantly hiring because they are replacing people who won't take the abuse. When they took over in 2006 Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group increased prices 25% across the board and began the selling of poor quality mechandise. That 40% coupon is no deal. Most of the products are 300% mark up. Do the research like I have done. Check out complaints, both customer and employee. The fat cats who sit on the top are only interested in making their millions per year. They are not customer or employee focused at all.

• Mm
    M-M-M&M Jun 05, 2013

What part of "item must be returned in its original and unopened condition" do people not understand? I mean, seriously. How hard is it to read the return policy, which is printed on EVERY receipt?

Sure, if the packaging looks nice enough to where we can simply take/staple it back together, yes, we will take the return. But for items whose packaging is "torn up, " no we will not take them back.

• Ab
    ab3000 Mar 08, 2011

When complaining about a company, first try talking to the managment in a reasonable way to ask why the product can't be returned. Michaels has an "origional condition" return policy because unlike some stores, there is no "return to vendor". Return to vendor allows the company to send the product back, and if they can't, they must eat the entire purchase price. Returning items damaged in that way causes prices to get higher, and stores to do poorly. When buying items like clock parts that require a measurement, try measuring hte piece you are fitting the clock part into for the size you need. Taking a little personal responsibility can keep retail stores from making harsh return policies and jacking prices.

• Ac
    aca392 Feb 12, 2010

First of all, I have worked for Michaels for over a year now. I can say that I do enjoy my job most of the time, it's the customers that make my job a living hell most days. Yes, we can take SOME items that have been opened, granted that we can fix the packaging to sell it again. If you are careful opening your packages, then chances are we can still return it for you. Yes, the return policy states that it must be in its original condition. As for items that come in clear plastic wrap, make sure you still have it, and the bar code. The thing that customers complain in my store about most often is the other part of the return policy, the part that takes 20% off any item you do not have a receipt for. "Well can't you just look it up by my card like Walmart or Target does?" No, we can't. In case you haven't noticed, our registers are not equipped to do things like that. Coupons is something else that I absolutely hate dealing with. No, you can't use more than one (in our store we will accept more than one only if they are DIFFERENT coupons). No, I will not accept another coupon if you do a different transaction. I like my job, and I don't want to lose it over saving a customer a dollar or two. Chances are you have more money than I do in the first place. That's why I have to work for a retail store. I will agree on the fact that management could be doing a bit better, but over all that is the least of the concerns that need to be dealt with. Some days I wish that there was a person I could complain to about customers to make them know that they are rude.

• Li
    Lily1990 Jan 14, 2010

Some returns can be made with the package open...I have sadly worked at one of the Michaels stores (not fun let me tell you) and in fact as for the clock item if it is opened carefully, we do have a a simple tape machine that will seal it back up and be perfectly fine for the next customer to buy...therefore leaving both parties happy. On the other hand, Michaels is not a good company to work for. They treat their employees with very little respect and make you feel like a nobody...and they are also most often rude to the customers leaving it to the Cashiers and Front End Supervisors (like I was) to try and make the customers happy which puts the stress mostly on us and for that I would like to sincerely apologize to all of you who have had a bad shopping experience there even tho I am not one you have had to deal with because I come from Canada.

• Whatever Jul 09, 2009

*Laughing My ### Off* Your language and attitude is not all that much better. You certaintly are no saint.

Ann Jul 06, 2009

I'm sure Michael's is glad to have your kind for a customer...as I said, your language and attitude dovetail nicely with their culture. You and Michael's have a wonderful life. Peace :-D

• Mo
    Monique Jun 01, 2009

A sad fact of life just happens to be that she who ### the loudest gets what she wants. Just didn't happen here! :D

• Whatever Apr 28, 2009

No, I do not work there. LOL. I've been there and seen how customers are while checking out on line myself.

And also, I pity anyone who knows you and feel bad with anyone who has to deal with your stuck up snotty self.

Ann Apr 26, 2009

LOLOL Oh, I get it now, you WORK there! You so eloquently portray the very Michael's culture I wrote about! How choice! Corporate must be very proud of you...pin a medal on this one!

p.s. I do pity those who are stuck living/working with you, though

• Whatever Apr 22, 2009

Ann, you obviously did not get what i was trying to say. seems as if you are like any other stuck up ### that goes into michaels... get over being a stuck up ### and wanting everything your way.

Ann Apr 18, 2009

Whatever, why you read into these messages a call for corporations to "kiss the ground" is odd...all I'm saying is returns are part of doing business...get over it.

jamakaka Apr 11, 2009

Careful who and what you complain about. At Michael's a complaint against a store employee is grounds for dismissal.

• Wh
    whatever Apr 06, 2009

why should any corporation kiss the ground a person walks on. yes, good customer service...blah, blah, blah. WHATEVER. the recepit says that the item can only be returned in its original condition. so get over it. and it is the customers that clutch on to every stinkin' dime that comes there way. using a F'in coupon for a dollar item...like you have to be kidding me. and especially when they want to use more than one, when it states "one coupon per customer per day". the customer is wrong and the corporation is wrong for allowing the customers for getting away with bloody murder.

Ann Apr 06, 2009

This person should absolutely have been allowed to return the clock parts--it is you 'chic' who have obviously never worked in retail, otherwise you'd know that returns are part of retail life and a way to maintain customer good will and loyalty. No wonder these companies are going bankrupt. These are economic times when they should be courting their customers, not clutching on to every stinkin' dime that comes through the till. This Michael's store get's an "F"--

Chic Mar 30, 2009

You can't sell a product that has been ripped to shreads...get a grip You have obviously NEVER worked in retail...

• Ci
    cindy Nov 29, 2008

How many packages should they let you "tear apart" until you are satisfied?
    perhaps you could figure out what you need before you purchase your item so you wont need to return it.

Comment Guidelines