Metlife Disability Insurancelong term disabilty

Dont be fooled by your employer suggesting to you to enroll in MetLife Disability Insurance. I made that mistake, and for 8 years I paid my premiums to MetLife. Then, I was injured at work and drew my workers compensation. Six months after my work related injury, I suffered a stroke. I applied for my long term disability and after all my medical records were given to them they turned me down. However, they offered to help me apply for social security disability. I told them no, I would do that on my own. They informed me, when I received my award letter from ss disability to fax it to them. It took several months to be approved by ss disability and in the meantime my family had to help me with living expenses. When I received my award letter from ss disability I faxed it to MetLife as instructed. Of course, I was denied. I appealed their decision 3 times and all three were denied. Reason given, MetLifes definition of disability is not the same as the Social Security Administration. I was also informed by MedtLife that I could file a lawsuit against them. That would be great but no attorney that I have spoken to will handle this ERISA case. Do you suppose MetLife is aware of this? I think they are, that is why they say well you can sue!! So, please, just save the money you would spend on monthly premiums to MetLife and leave it in the bank.

• Ag
    AGSerra1 Aug 31, 2015

I received my LTD through my Company E.W. Scripps via Aetna back in 2002 .. I then received my SSD and they paid back Aetna as was laid out what they paid above they were to pay and Approved my LTD through age 65 .. At one point I was switched to Metlife as the company changed plans ..

As time passed they stopped requesting any Forms from me as Multiple Sclerosis was not an issue of "getting better" but one of Progression .. This year I moved, I contacted them to Change of Address .. Now I am being "harassed" to update my Income AND have a Doctor fill out a form and sign this form they are calling a "HIPPA" Act ..

I find this irritating as they have since "Outsourced" this Department and they do not answer the phone, return your calls, and do not understand what you are saying .. For me having Cognitive Issues it is frustrating ..

• Wo
    womacksl Mar 05, 2015

It is amazing how Metlife if able to get away with this type of criminal action. The Department of Justice should certainly look into their business procedures! I am disabled and Metlife should have paid disability benefits to me until age 65. Of course they did everything in their power to deny me and now I am living on 1/4 of what I was entitled to. Your stories should exactly like mine.

• Do
    Doing the best I can Jun 11, 2013

I received long term disability from Metlife for 2 years through Bank of America. They wanted me to use their lawyer to file for my my SSD. When SS denied me the first time, Metlife found a doctor to lie for them and they discontinued my long term disability leaving me with no money or health insurance and no medications for my illnesses. I had no income for 2 years and I finally got my SSD. Metlife is suppose to pay me the difference minus my SSD. I tried to get a lawyer to help me get me long term disability back and sign pa pers saying that he would and later told me right before my SSD that I should be glad that I got two years. I lost my excellnet credit rating because I could no longer pay my credit cards which I used to pay for rent and food. My daughter who was in college at that time took over my car payments and paid the difference for rent and food from her scholarships and college loans. Only through God's blessings that we made it through. Bank of America knew what was going on and they garnished my SSD to pay their credit card bill. I close my account with them and it has been over 7 years and their debt collectors want me in court on 6/14/13 to prove my income after they knowingly stole my SSD.And the lawyer I hired stole my money and never filed bankruptcy for me. Metlife and Bank of America have no integrity and they stole my benefits knowing how hard it is for the little person to get help. But they will have to answer to a higher power for their wrong doing. I will have all of my documents for court to show what they are doing.

• Er
    Eric megill Oct 19, 2011

I am on Met-Life long term disability, everything started out good, I got my long term approved by Met-Life until 2024 and filed and received my Social Security right away, then they needed an update by my doctor and received it now 3 months later they need it again, how often do they need this. I get a little nervous about Met-Life and now wonder why my Employer dropped them after all these years and went with another company? I have read that their definition of disability is different then Social Security's definition of disability.I am 100% disabled, by S.S terms. I hate living with this issue, their commericals want you to feel protected by purchasing their insurance, I would read the fine print with this company.

• To
    tortoise Mar 09, 2011

I agree with both of you. Please go to:

• Da
    Danny Wilkinson Dec 08, 2009

Metllife pulled the same thing with me...by age 51 I hadpaid on a disability policy for almost 15 years at work. When i became disabled due to a spinal disease and several surgeries which left me unable to work. they initially paid the monthly amount .but as soon as i was declared 100% disabled by social security they stopped the payment option that would have supplemented my monthly disability check that was supposed to guaranteed i had an income of $1500 per month. ( about $200 per month)
    During the first couple of years i Lost my Home, my automobile, my partner of 31 years committed suicide . MetLife insisted I come to a 2 day evaluation 75 miles from where i am living a week after undergoing an emergency surgery from my gall bladder rupturing. I was very ill and had no transportation or money to hire someone to take me. Trying to explain to them by phone, email, regular mail was to no avail and i had a total mental breakdown just trying to lead a daily life.
    A year later after finally getting my act together i began the process of trying to fight the beurocracy again I became so stressed out i had 2 heart attacks, and the loss of one kidney to cancer. I estimate that they should have paid me almost $17, 000 over the last 7 years. I cant get an attorney to take my case pro-bono or contingent. According to them Metlife has the deep pockets and power to wait everyone out and there was almost zero chance of ever winning a judgment against them.That amount of money may sound small to some people but apparently i fall between the cracks when it comes to getting any assistance because my monthly income is about $70 too much to get food stamps. The cost of lliving keeps going up and i become more disabled every year. This year i could not even afford the insurance on my trailer home living in Florida that alone is stressful..One good hurricane and you are homeless
    So my recommendation is dont waste your money with a disability policy with this company .The security you will feel over the years is a joke. I didn't plan to spend the last years of my life in poverty but Metlife helped put me here

Danny Wilkinson