Levi Strauss Jeanspoor quality

I purchased six pair of levi strauss "signature" jeans for my husband. All six pair within 2 weeks have started tearing at the back pocket. One pair I could maybe understand, but all six? Yesterday he bent over (he's a slender man) and the whole rear end split right down the length of the pocket. They were purchased at k-mart and they wont let you return without a receipt. Since they were levi's I didn't anticipate having to returning them. I guess i' m just screwed out of over $100.00 so much for buying american.

poor quality

Tony68 Jul 20, 2009

American?? Those are made in poor countries by children. Probably Lesotho. Levi's are no longer made in the US.

RosieAtLS&CO Aug 07, 2009

Hi Razorxmuse

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We are committed to providing products of the highest quality. Please contact our Consumer Affairs department (1-800-USA-LEVIS) directly so that we can resolve this issue for you.

• Br
    Brandon1910 Jan 26, 2018

@RosieAtLS&CO Sorry Rosie. But being an older person I can tell you that Levis are very, very poor quality today compared to those I wore as a kid in the 1970's. Nothing you do for Razorxmuse will remedy shoddy construction using cheap materials and labor. The deceitful "stonewashed" label may have fooled people in the 80's and 90's...but now we know it was just an excuse for faded jeans which fall apart after only a year.

• razorxmuse Aug 07, 2009

Tom Asher from Levi called me this past week. Levi is standing by their product by replacing the jeans i was not satisfied with. It took a little while, but thank you Mr. Asher for caring enough to fix this for me. I will remain a Levi customer.

• St
    Steveb77 Sep 02, 2009

I've had two pairs of 509s tear at the knee within 5 months of purchase recently. They've only had normal non-work wear. In the UK they're £50 per pair (around $80).

Quality has dropped massively- I will never buy another Levis product again.

RosieAtLS&CO Sep 08, 2009

Hi Steveb77

I am sorry to hear about the performance of your 509s. Can you confirm where you purchased your jeans so that I can get you the correct person to help you out with this.

Rosie Cayetano

• Rb
    rbieri75 Nov 25, 2009

Having worn levi's for almost thirty years till now, I can attest to the fact that the quality started slipping about ten years ago, and now they are absolute garbage. The high price never went down, but they are paper thin, and I think that Levi should throw in a sewing machine if you buy 5 pair. About four years ago my mom found an old pair of 501's in her attic from when I was in high school, they weighed twice what new ones do, and they were faded to almost white. I WORE THEM ALMOST A YEAR BEFORE I HAD TO RETIRE THEM!! Yes the pockets will tear within weeks, and I have had to take almost new pairs back that ripped out in wierd places. I love the fit, but will never buy levi's again.

Jake 9 Dec 13, 2009

I have been wearing levis since the 1960s, and yes the quality has gone from outstanding to paper thin junk. My last 6 pair from both jcp and sears have split open at the crotch having to throw them away just as they are begining to get a little worn and comfortable.I am 6ft 185lbs not an oversize man, its obvious levi has gone to complete substandard material but still charge top dollar, 35.00 for 9.95 jeans. I am through with levi until they come out with a public apology and bring their product back to where it was. Instead of horses pulling their jeans apart at this point I think hamsters could do it.,

• Fc
    fc123 Dec 26, 2009

I too purchased a pair of the Levi Authentic Signature jeans. They lasted exactly 3 wears (1 wash) before ripping, starting along the inseam. This happened as I was sitting on a couch, and switching which leg I had crossed.

FYI, my typical pair of jeans last 4-5yrs. This was indeed a cheap pair of jeans, and the expectation was duly tempered. But still, this was a shocking outcome. Material appears very weak.

Phoned the Levis number above and was offered an in-kind replacement. I declined, based on not being able to trust this particular model of jean again. Might have considered a different model.

Conclusion: Returned this pair to merchant, and bought another brand of jeans.

• Ad
    adweaver Jan 02, 2010

Bought my husband 5 pairs of Levis, with in 6 months ALL 5 pairs have ripped in the crotch as he was getting into his truck. These were not tight jeans, kinda loose fitting. We bought these jeans thinking they would last for years and years. I am very disappointed with the quality of product Levis now puts in stores. What happened to the jeans that last forever? Glad to know we are not the only ones with this problem, but doesn't replace jeans at $30 a pair, shouldve saved my money and bought the $10 walmart knock offs

• St
    stanley donsky Jan 17, 2010

I remember getting hand me down 501's that would last many years, and if you did get a hole or rip in them it would only add to there look. the levi's you get now are like very strong toilet paper, that the washer will destroy in a small amount of time.
    PLEASE ! some one make some thing that last for years. Wranglers make a slightly better product, for about $20 to $30 cheaper.

• Er
    eric collier Feb 11, 2010

i have had 4 pair of levi jeans all start ripping at the inseam within weeks of buying them. I still have a pair of levis i had in high school that was 13 years ago. levi quality in gone... I love the fit but $39.00 for 2 days wear is not worth it

• Ga
    GaryRialto Feb 15, 2010

I agree that Levi jeans are mad of very light weight denim, as yesterday I bent over and the whole rear end split right down the length of the left pocket. .. third pair of 550 Levi's in the past six months to do the same thing. Time to buy another brand after 40 years.

John_M_11232143 Feb 28, 2010

Yeah great fit on the 501's (I've worn them since 1989), but the quality is so horrendous lately. The typical problems are ripping along the back pocket after some serious crouching, and the usual crotch-blowout that begins after about 6 months. I will definetely be switching to a whole new brand.. probably walmart wranglers since they're dirt cheap and fit reasonably well.

• Ks
    KSJeff Mar 05, 2010

I wore nothing but Levi's and they always held up but the last 4-5 years all have ripped at the rear pocket, these were 550's and 569's all which were bought at sears. The 569's are worse than the 550's but all are bad. the 2 569's I have, one lasted 2 wearings the other lasted about 10. My 550's lasted about 12-14 wearings. I need to find something that is durable. The one pair of 550's that is still in tact, I don't even put anything in my pockets to make sure there is no stress on any part of the pockets. I have dress slacks that are more durable than this. Maybe that is why I see farmers wearing Lee's. Jeff S.

tonyv50 Mar 12, 2010

i have a pair of levi's that ripped at the back pocket seams i bought a year ago from walmart, the quality has fallen considerably, so i guess i will call rosie at levi's & hope they can fix this problem, if not, wrangler's will get my business !!!

RosieAtLS&CO Mar 15, 2010

Hi Tony
    I am sorry to hear about your Levi's. It would be most effective if you contacted our customer service agents at 800.USA.Levi and press #3. We have a team of dedicated reps that will gladly help you with this. If you should have any problems, please feel free to let me know.

• Gi
    GillGrylls Mar 24, 2010

my jeans were purchased less than 6 months ago. i wear them maybe once every few weeks since i have about 9 pair i rotate between. after a few times wearing and washing a small whole appeared right at the corner of the right back pocket. today i wore the jeans and i realized they were torn with about a 3 inch rip. luckily i was wearing a long shirt which could cover up the tear. i purchased these at wal-mart for $19.50. They are the Levi's Carpenter jeans. very comfy and did not fit tight. very upset that they would tear. my wal-mart brand jeans ive had over a year have not torn at all!

• Gi
    GillGrylls Mar 24, 2010

here are my jeans torn. i just posted a comment

RosieAtLS&CO Mar 25, 2010

Hi Gill
    I am so sorry to hear about your jeans, this is not the product experience we strive for here at Levi's. We do guarantee our product against manufactures defects and I would suggest that you contact our customer service department at 1-800-USA-Levi (press #3). I am confident they can resolve this for you but if they cannot, please let me know so that I can help.

RWD Mar 27, 2010

I wore a newly purchased pair of 550's 4 times when a co-worker noticed this hole. I checked several other pairs and found similar problems. I checked the labels and found that they are made in places such as Dominican Republic, Lesotho, Haiti, Canada, Mexico, Egypt, and found that I still have two pairs that were made in the USA. I checked my older pairs with a micrometer and compared them to the newer pairs and found that the new ones are approximately 30-40% thinner. Just hold them up to a light and you will see many, many "thin" spots and holes!! I was shocked. I've always relied on Levi's as a symbol of quality. Now, a last bastion of Americana has fallen prey to global market economics!!! Sad day.

RWD Mar 27, 2010

Hole in jeans worn 4 times

RosieAtLS&CO Mar 29, 2010

Hi RWD
    I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the quality of your product. While fabric weights do vary depending on the products finish and color, they should not yield holes tears. We do guarantee our product against manufactures defects and I would suggest that you contact our customer service department at 1-800-USA-Levi (press #3).

• Ge
    GermanP Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone used the return department thru levies? id like to know if the replacements are junk too

• Bo
    bobjoseph Apr 01, 2010

i would love to see levi bring back the material that when i put the pants on they fit the same as when i took them off i understand kids need thier fasion but us adults want our pants to fit aint nothing worse than putting jeans on in the morning and at the end of the day walking around holding the jeans up so they dont fall off masby kids like the bag look me and other grown ups ive spoke with hate this stretch material

• Sp
    Speedwy Apr 05, 2010

I purchased 4 pairs of Levi 501's for my teenage son and within 2 weeks the knees had huge holes in them. My son doesn't play sports, the only "activity" that he did in his jeans was simply putting them on and going to school. I couldn't believe how poor the quality was. I have some 501's that I bought over 15 years ago that are still in great shape. I will never buy another pair of Levi's again. I'm not going to spend almost $50 for a pair of jeans that can't last through more than 5 washes. Shame on you Levi Strauss. You've moved manufacturing out of the U.S. to cheaper offshore areas, you severely downgraded the quality of material, substituting heavy grade jean for paper-thin jean--you've basically wiped out all the reasons that people bought Levi Strauss jeans for in the first place. I guess the old adage is true "you get what you pay for".

RWD Apr 06, 2010

I was contacted by Levi's to remedy my situation with my faulty jeans. Customer service said I could either send them in for "evaluation" or TRY to exchange them from the store that I purchased them from. Not the option that I wanted to hear. I just want my money back. Why would I replace defective jeans with more defective jeans??! Until Levi's brings back the "old school" denim that could take wear and tear and last longer than 4 wearings and 2 washings without falling apart, then I will take my business elsewhere. I will also inform EVERYONE I know about the quality problems that Levi's has!!

• Fa
    Fake Levi's Apr 13, 2010

I'm soooo disappointed in the quality of the fake 501's they sell now. When you call to tell them they are no where near the same as they used to be, Levi's Customer Care just says " they are made to our standards". Well that may be true but the problem is the standard changed. The new 501's are garbage. I'd pay more fore the real deal. At least offer it for those willing to pay a bit more fore the real deal. Sad, very sad.

• Wi
    wiauntbee Apr 30, 2010

My man's Levi 509's also tore out at the corners of the back pockets. He's a desk-jockey for a trucking company so there is no way that he is tough on his jeans! We too are disappointed in the quality and hope to get some resolution (BETTER QUALITY replacement jeans). It's sad when an American Icon such as Levi has to stoop to manufacturing their product in a 3rd-World country to make a buck instead of a great American product.

Rosie, you're telling us all to call customer service, but what is being done to make the denim thicker and the stitching stronger?

• Wi
    wiauntbee Apr 30, 2010

Here is the photo of the Levi's.

JohnInAZ May 04, 2010

I just purchase a pair of 557s mail order from Khol's. These are the medium fade and are paper thin. What the hell happened to Levi's? I'm taking them back today. I cannot believe they are selling such trash.

Levi, you need to get back to the basics of selling a quality product for a reasonable price or find yourself eventually out of business.

tonyv50 May 04, 2010

to anyone who thinks levi's will replace your jeans, dream on !!! they tell you to send then for review, will tell you due to normal wear & tear, they are sorry they cannot replace your jeans but here is a t-shirt for your problems, believe me, cause it happened to me, so i will, for now on, buy wrangler's, lee's & any other jeans, but will not spend any more money on levi's due to lack of quality fading as the years go by, i still have an old pair that still hold up to normal wear & tear, so levi's has lost this customer !!!
    i re-posted it hoping everyone sees the letter i received from levi's, here's hoping you get to see it !!

• Ka
    Karen Wade May 04, 2010

I agree with all of these posts. I have had many pairs of Levi's rip on me, my husband and now my son. Very dissappointed and hope when I call levis tomorrow they can do something to replace the six pair that we have recently had rip on us.

NOTHAPPYANYMORE May 11, 2010

I'm 41 years old and all my life all I would wear are Levi's with pride. With that pride also was the thought of them being made by Americans for Americans. I can never say that again because the quality they had does not exist anymore and I will never buy anything from Levi's again. Past few years all I had were rips mostly by the seems of the pockets and crotch. Never thought I would have to throw them in the garbage and start buying a different brand. Hearing about them being made overseas and hearing about a case that they put "Made in America" when they were really made in China really got me more sad and angry. It tells me the company has not integrity and no more pride in their products. NEVER BUY LEVI'S AGAIN!

tonyv50 May 12, 2010

karen, good luck & hope you have better success with levi's on your dilemma, let's hope you don't get the dreaded brush off with the letter stating "due to our observation, we cannot replace your jeans due to normal wear & tear, but here is a T-shirt for your problem " note, so i wish you well in your problem solving of this.

Rosie, i know you have tried to be the note of reason here, but your company is failing in it's quest to right the wrong, why don't they just replace the jeans & keep the customers happy, regardless of the condition ?

let's hope the executives of your company see this letter & rectify this problem, small but growing every day !!

Robert dd May 16, 2010

I used to be the world's biggest Levis jeans fan. Now they rip before a years time has gone by. Its sad and pathetic. No longer do the lyrics "Lone star bell buckles and old faded levis" sung by Willie Nelson even ring true anymore. Levis rip and tear before they have time to fade properly. Or they fade so fast they fall apart before they should. I remember my father's levis in the 80's lasted forever! Now... Levis jeans suck. Too bad... they have great style. Classic style...

• Br
    BRENTSWIFE May 31, 2010

I PURCHASED TWO PAIRS OF LEVI 501'S FOR MY HUSBAND IN THE LAST 4 MONTHS. ONE FROM SEARS ONE FROM JCPENNEYS AND BOTH PAIRS RIPPED IN THE CROTCH AREA. WHEN I PAY THAT MUCH MONEY I EXPECT THEM TO LAST. I EMAILED LEVI SO I GUESS ILL WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. IF THEY DONT MAKE IT RIGHT I WILL NEVER PURCHASE LEVIS AGAIN FOR MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE.

• Oz
    ozjeansfan Jul 01, 2010

I purchased a pair of Levi 527's and wore them only 3 times. I then washed them according to the instructions and when I went to hang them on the line I noticed a massive tear beside the left rear pocket. Levi's are very expensive in Australia (I paid just over $100) and quality is expected when paying that much money for a single item of clothing. Very dissappointed. Will Levi's replace my jeans for me? I doubt it. Will I buy Levi's again? I doubt it.

RosieAtLS&CO Jul 01, 2010

Hi Ozjeansfan,

I'm really sorry about your jeans. I want you to know that all Levi's products are guaranteed against manufatcturer and material defects.

The first thing I advise you to do is bring the damaged jeans back to where you purchased them. The store will probably let you exchange them. If that doesn't work, please call or e-mail our Australian offices. Here is that info: 1 800 625 603 or [email protected]

All the best!

RosieAtLS&CO Jul 01, 2010

Hi Brentswife,

I'm really sorry about those Jeans. Please let me know if you need any help.

-Rosie

tonyv50 Jul 07, 2010

to all levi lovers, here is the note i received from charlie, public relations, levi's :

You've received a new message on ComplaintsBoard.com

Hi Tony,

I’m really sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I’m Charlie, Rosie’s temporary replacement while she is on maternity leave.

I understand that the seam on back pocket of your jeans ripped, you sent it to us for inspection, and it was categorized as normal wear and tear and not replaced. I’m sorry that you don’t agree with this, and I want to make you feel better by replacing the jeans for you.

I found all of your information in our database, and the jeans are being ordered today. I’ll let you know when they ship!

Can you confirm that the address on S Iseminger St is correct?

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Charile

CHARLIE FIELDS
    PROGRAM & REPORTING SPECIALIST, CONSUMER RELATIONS
    1155 BATTERY STREET
    SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94111
    [email protected]
    (415)501-7866

here's hoping charlie doesn't mind that i posted this note, it maybe some help to any & all levi lovers who have a problem with the jeans !!!

p.s. rosie is on maternity leave, my blessings to her & her newborn