Levi Strauss Jeanspoor quality

I purchased six pair of levi strauss "signature" jeans for my husband. All six pair within 2 weeks have started tearing at the back pocket. One pair I could maybe understand, but all six? Yesterday he bent over (he's a slender man) and the whole rear end split right down the length of the pocket. They were purchased at k-mart and they wont let you return without a receipt. Since they were levi's I didn't anticipate having to returning them. I guess i' m just screwed out of over $100.00 so much for buying american.

poor quality

• Sc
    Scott Gaudet Aug 16, 2020

I have several pairs of 505's tearing at the same exact spot, all less than a few months old. I switched back to levis for the better fit than wranglers, but I have wranglers I have worn for years, no issues like this!!

• Na
    NancyCash Dec 17, 2019

I am so disappointed in Levi brand. They used to be the very best .Now they use low quality fabric and the quality control does not seem to exist. I have tried to get women's size 6 long jeans for at least 6 months without finding a pair that was true to size length wise. I picked up a pair ordered from Macy's today hoping they really were long enough. The stated size is 28 waist, 32 length. The measured length is 29 3/8". This seems to be all I can find either in a store or online. Chatted with a rep and she suggested a 34" length on the Levi site. What Levi needs is some quality control.
    Nancy

• Ly
    Lynne W.B. Oct 09, 2019

I bought my adult son Levi’s for Fathers Day in June 2019. It’s October 2019 and the pocket is ripped away, the fabric is split down the side of the pocket, and the belt loops are about to come off - the fabric is so thin it can’t hold together. I thought I was doing good buying a name-brand. I spent $84 for two pair on sale at Kohl’s. That’s way too much for jeans that lasted only a few months. His jeans from high school in the 1990s - which took quite a beating - lasted far longer than that, and cost way less. Shame, shame on you Levi’s.

• Dr
    draghag Oct 25, 2019

@Lynne W.B. We continue to have the same problem with my husband's jeans. I buy them at Kohl's as well and always wait for a sale as they are pricey. They always rip out by the back pocket. Starts as a small hole at the top of the pocket and ends up ripping all the way past the pocket. I could understand it if the were old, but this usually happens within a few months time !!! Guess it's time to find a new brand...

• Ya
    Yarttocs Mar 22, 2019

I purchased 5 pairs of your shorts last summer today the last pair ripped in the same spot as the rest . These shorts are poor quality and I wouldn't suggest them to anyone ever again. I have wore Levi's my whole life but I will be finding a new kind of jeans.

• Ph
    Philip at Brownsville Oct 24, 2018

I don't get it. People complain that their jeans are falling apart for years. They keep buying them year after year. I stopped buying Levis over 10 years ago. If you want good tough jeans then buy Wrangler Pro Rodeo. My wife said she was going to buy me a pair of Levis recently. I told her if she did I would take them out and burn them. She knew I was serious and didn't buy them.

• Ji
    Jimmy Gonzalez Aug 03, 2018

Same here I have 4 pair of 550’s and they have all started to tear on right rear pocket top left corner 😤

• Me
    me50567 Oct 04, 2018

@Jimmy Gonzalez Al my Levis wear out in that spot also I' ve noticed for the last 5-10 years. I wonder if i can be 'planned obsolescence'. If a pair wears out below the thighs one could have always made 'cutoffs'. Not anymore. I' ve been wearing Levis for over 40 years.

• So
    somesayloveitisariver Jun 14, 2018

Got my Signature by Levi Strauss from Walmart when they were on sale. Wore them then washed them. The dye came off so much it literally dyed my bath tub dark. I was trying to treat them and wash them as you would expensive jeans. Definitely not. But except for that part, I've been wearing them for a few months on a regular basis. I stretch my legs in these effortlessly and they are very comfortable. So far they've held up just fine and I like the color they faded into a lot. There's minor pilling at the roll-up cuffs part when I wore my boots, but that was expected since the top of my boots is fleece material. I got the one with roll-up cuffs for women, they are made in China. I say if they can make the material a tad more durable and not use that much dye on it, these would be my go-to jeans for a long time. Plus I spent about 12 bucks on them so I really can't complain. Thanks Levi's!

Sandi Lavine Apr 05, 2018

I'm another dissatisfied Levi's customer. My main complaints are design changes and quality issues. Like many other reviews, I wore Levi's going back to the 60's and 70's. They were great jeans - comfortable and durable. Starting a little less than 10 years ago, things started going downhill. The designers totally ruined the 505 style. These were, for the most part, men's work jeans. The rise has been lowered to the point that they are extremely uncomfortable. I spend all day pulling them up. You can't move in these jeans without having them slide halfway down your butt. Very uncomfortable. And they are much thinner than they used to be. I have a pair of 505's that were purchased around 2003. They were near raw denim, rigid dark blue. I must have washed them more than 200 times over the years. They are faded to almost white. Those jeans, as worn as they are, are still heavier in denim weight than the most recent pair I bought in 2017. The pockets on the old ones are much deeper, and the rise fits at the waist where it supposed to. Today's 505's say they sit at the waist. That's not true. The rise on 505's is close to 11". It used to be 12".
    Designers also ruined the iconic 501 style as well, both original fit and shrink-to-fit. The 'new' leg hem is ridiculous to look at. It's about an eighth of an inch. My old pairs are a good 1/2". And the single inseam stitch makes the jeans seem cheap. They also fancied up the rear pocket stitching. Taken in whole, the 501's are very feminine looking and feeling. They're certainly not a man's jean.
    The bottom line is neither of these styles are anywhere worth the price. I've donated some of the new ones to thrift shops, and sold some at a yard sale for $5.

• Br
    Brandon1910 Jan 26, 2018

WoW. Just WoW. Eight years later and Levis is still in business selling an inferior product. It is almost maddening how they continue successfully peddling an inferior quality product...and even more maddening that people continue to buy it. I will buy ANY other brand of blue jeans from here on out. I don't care if LS&CO make dramatic improvements...as that is not enough to make up for ruining a once great and iconic American product.

• Ri
    Richie B Nov 13, 2017

Belt loops easily break, thread count down in order to save money lowering quality of material causing easy tearing. Ways to give exec s more money then move on in a year .

• 50
    501 May 15, 2017

I have been wearing 501s for over 50 years but may stop purchasing any LEVI jeans. I have always enjoyed my 501s, love the buttons, the wear, fit and the classical style. They once were able to take a beating at work and at play. Even a tear by a wire fence, sharp rocks, or other activities, they would hold up. They are the Ford Mustang or the Chevy Corvette of the jean market but sadly, they have lost their horsepower. They function like a two cycle engine. The fabric is VERY light weight. I still have 20 year old 501s and you can weigh the difference. The belt loops break-off. The buttons will fall apart. What ever you do DON'T scrape the jeans or they will tear. The indigo color appears as if they they sprayed painted instead of dyed.
    Levi has killed the classic jean. I want my old jeans back! Give me the workhorse. Man-Up. And the price continues to increase for a product that has failed the American jean generation. Levi '[censored]' jeans.

• La
    Lawrence Paquette Apr 01, 2017

Well thought it was just me. That pic is exactly what happened to me twice recently, and a lot of belt loops ripped out. I paid a seamstress to repair the loops

• Du
    Duane Kleineberg Nov 10, 2016

I have a pair of 514 purchased at Costco 4 months ago. 3 washes and fabric failure at the pocket. These jeans are not a tight fit. But they are trash now. I've worn Levi's for years. I feel a change is coming.

• Su
    SunShine11 Jul 12, 2016

My husband is 59 yrs old and has always worn levi. Once they moved to Mexico he could tell the differnce. Same with our two sons. No two pair fit the same. Seams crooked and all the belt loops have fallen off the most recent pair. Did not bother calling them as we no longer wish to do advertising for such poor quality at a high price. Went to wrangler and all three of the men in my life are happy with them. Plus they are at a lower cost. We didn't mind paying more for American made but refuse to support a company who takes jobs to Mexico saves on labor and continues to charge as tho they are still American made.

• Au
    Austin Crow Jun 05, 2016

That's why you don't get Levi's. They've always been cheap. If you want good jeans you pay $80+. Real jeans are average $230 a pair. Go somewhere that knows something about denim, like buckle. Denim is a lifestyle! And $100 for 6 pair? That's why they ripped 😂 Cheap.

• Do
    Douglas Weston Feb 28, 2016

Levi jeans quality has dropped over the years even the material seems thin. My back pockets rip and my crotch wear out quick.
    I have a stack of Levis at home that my wife has patched and repaired for me. I can not afford to put money in to my once favorite jean.

James Liniger Feb 07, 2016

I have been wearing 501 levies for well since the 60's. but every pair for the last four years i have purchased they have ripped in crotch within 2 to 3 months. I really like levies but at this rate in the quality of them it is starting to cost to much. Don't know if you have changed the grade of your material or what but at this rate three pair at $45.00 each every 6 months you will be losing a long time customer. in the past i have never ever had any problems with the 501's tried other styles of levies. don't like the way they fit.
    Sincerely,
    James

• Te
    terry erwin Dec 28, 2015

I purchased 3 pair of levi signature jeans and in less than 2 weeks the snap had broken on 1 pair, 2 months the waist band is tearing loose on anoher pair the third pair I will not wear anymore because I don't want to be embarrassed if they fall apart when I am out in public

• Rl
    rlmiller1 Dec 11, 2015

I just called Customer Care about this very same issue with 2 new pair of women's LS Signature jeans. They're sending me a return label for quality control, and will replace them. I, too, purchased mine from Walmart, and was told today that they get theirs from vendors in other countries. The remedy is to order straight from LS.

Comments

• Re
    Reviewer48316 Nov 11, 2015

Dear sir, I return my dress. i want my money back Bank Name: HDFC bank Bank Branch: valasaravakkam chennai branch. A/c HOLDER name: R.senthil rethinam A/c No: [protected] IFC Code: 0000024 Pl. refund my rs. 499 ph [protected]

• Un
    unhappy with... Nov 03, 2015

Will not be buying Levi's anymore. Have been wearing 515 for about 8 years. When I bought a new pair a couple of years ago, I knew just by feeling the jeans that quality had gone down. Thinner and not a feeling of a pair of jeans anymore but I washed them and they felt better. The last straw was a couple of months ago, I ordered a new pair of 515's because I don't have time right now to find another type of jean to fit well. The pair of jeans is almost paper thin. I wear the jeans and in half a day they are all stretched out...do not even hold their shape anymore. Quality is no more! I will now start looking for a different brand of jean because Levi has lost my business. Will Not Buy Again!

chezwicks Aug 25, 2015

Good afternoon
    I write in the hope you may be able to assist, orpoint me in the right direction.

I purchased a pair of Levis 751 stretch jeans for a Christmas present for my husband.

My husband was really pleased with them and they fitted perfectly. In total he has worn these jeans around 8/9 times and we noticed recently that the material at the side of the left back pocked had all ripped/freyed making these jeans now unwearable! Levis jeans are usually known for them being very heard wearing.

I have contacted where I purchased them from and they are not being much help. My husband is very upset and so am I. I have tried emailing on the Levis website for the email section isn't working.

I am hoping Levis can do something about this and will contact me by return

Thankyou

• Ga
    Gaston Bachelard Jul 05, 2015

I would really like to know why the Levi's corporation does not publicly address the notorious inconsistency of sizing and quality of their merchandise. I get that they farm out manufacturing to third-world countries. But why is it that they don't impose consistent standards -- the same measurements, the same density of denim, the same dyes, etc.? Maybe they don't care. Maybe it's the usual corporate greed. But they must have some rationale, no matter how warped, to explain it.

• Re
    rex warnert Jul 02, 2015

What scares me more than the poor quality of the jeans is that this site has had complaints that date back to 2009. I'm no math wizard but that seems like 6 years. Like most others on here I have only worn Levis for the last 35 years. They have all lasted a long long time, I stated getting on my 5 children for always ripping and tearing their jeans and having to replace them. Well I just bought a new pair for the first time in like 10 years. I pair of 550's washed them first and put them on I tugged on the belt loop to pull them up and it ripped a whole and the belt loop broke. I returned them to jcp and got another pair of 36 x 32's the last ones fit perfectly, nice and loose. I put this pair on to go to work today and they are about 4-5 sizes too small. I thought I made a mistake in the size so I checked them and sure enough they are labeled 36 x 32 but there is no way there can be a 3-4 inch gap to get them closed. Looks like I will have to abandon the brand for something else. The real tell here is that I dont think Levis really cares either. 6 years of poor quality complaints and I see the same things happening in 2015 as 2009 and 2010 pretty much says it all to me. Sad in Md

• Pa
    Paul Lamm Mar 11, 2015

I purchased a pair of 514's Slim Straight. These jeans are already prefaced. I wore these jeans maybe 10 times and they tore in the pocket like the first picture. Fred Meyer (Krogers) will not accept them back.

Marksz Feb 07, 2015

I just purchased three pair of 505's un washed. When I was wearing a pair I noticed the front pockets weren't as deep. when I measured them compare to my olds ones eleven inches, the new ones were only nine inches. Too shallow for my liking and of course since I tried them on and they fit I washed them, and now they won't take them back! They will be the last pair I own

• T7
    T77omahasethike Jan 21, 2015

Levi's jeans bought with holes around rivets on back pocket. They lasted about 2 months. Clearly I am not satisfied.

• T7
    T77omahasethike Jan 21, 2015

Levi's signature jeans show poor quality around back pocket rivets. The jeans are 2 months old and clearly are on the last wear soon. I bought three pairs; only 1 shows the poor quality. This is not acceptable because the value of the $ I paid did not go down like the jeans. I'm not satisfied with Levi's jeans!

• Du
    dustitaylor Dec 11, 2014

I was surprised to see my very same complaint as everyone else! In the photo submitted on the very same post by the person in North
    carolina------that's exactly what happened to a pair I bought at Kohl's! My husband also very slender wore these today to work for like the 4th time, bent over & HELLO! Split right down the pocket. There must have been some type of defect going on all at the same time. Kohl's refused a refund as I no longer had receipt! They are 514's. Can you help me too??? II have a photo also at request.

• Do
    Don Wackerly Nov 10, 2014

Bought my first Levis at age 15 because parents could'nt affords them.Am now 80 years old and the quality is so poor i cant imagine you being able to stay in business..NEVER had a belt loop pull off, NEVER had a rear end rip out after less than a year..so damn thin afraid to sit down..Realize you have to make money BUT not at this expense..

JacquesRSA Oct 27, 2014

I stay in South Africa and purchased my last 6 pairs of 501's at one of our biggest clothing compamies, they only lasted for 6 months and two of them split open at the crotch after just two weeks. The quality is extremely poor and I would not encourage anyone to buy a pair of Levi jeans. I am aware of people changing to normal "no name" brands that lasts much longer and almost a third of the price.
    Jacques

• Gi
    Giorgio C. Aug 02, 2014

There is no excuse for inconsistent sizing, such as with the 550 Loose-fitting jeans. With Levis, I never know what size I am anymore. This is quality control and assurance at its worse. What happened to my favorite brand of clothing? What do the QA audits reveal about the imprecision and inaccuracy of sizing? Why is this allowed by Levis? Do they think no one will notice? It is very very obvious. I'm glad to find out it isn't just me, but I am disheartened to find out that the problem is systemic, meaning this problem could sink the very company I have supported since childhood. I agree with the previous commenter--I'll pay extra for no quality problems, even better if made in the USA, instead of Mexico and Malaysia.

• As
    A Spear May 25, 2014

I am Extremely Upset and Embarrassed! My son who is of high school age is In love with Levi ' s, owning over 20 pairs. I am upset to find him in his room last night upset because he was laughed a all day because his jeans Completely gave away on him at school while getting up from his desk at the end of class.The quality of these jeans have gone way down.After just a few wears the jeans are ruined.I've been wearing levi's for at least the past 30 years! I feel rather disgusted my son Had to endures such Embarrassment after spending his allowance almost weekly on buying your product

• Pa
    Paulapoo Mar 25, 2014

I have thrown away so many pairs of levi's over the past 2 years it is unbelievable. Now i have 2 more pair one that came apart at the waist band and another pair that the zipper broke... I have 501 levi's in my closet that I have had since the late 80's to early 90's they are all like new... Every time i buy a new pair of levi's they just seem to be junk.

• Mi
    mick hopkins Dec 28, 2013

I just recieved a pair of your "501's'" for xmas. Calling these "original" 501's is criminal. They are paper thin, untapered, shapeless pieces of garbage. The only thing they remotely have in common is the button-fly. I grew up wearing the REAL Levis 501 shrink-to-fit
    20 oz. xx denim jeans, and for you to market these crummy 3rd world knock-offs as 501's is a complete joke. Sears sells these "Levis" for $65 dollars. Disgusting. There are a couple places online that sell "recreations" of the 1966 and 1978 editions of the 501. From what I have been able to ascertain, Context Clothing markets these and they are very comprable to the real deal with 14 oz. of selvedge denim used. Horribly expensive, ($250-up), but if you want the real thing, that's the price. I am going to buy a pair, and I will never buy another item from "levis" again. They really arent "Levis", so why don't you stop marketing them as though they were they were? Levis sold out thirty years ago. Dave Hopkins 12/28/2013

Jaco Vos Nov 05, 2013

Hi my name is Jaco Vos and I stay in South Africa. I bought 5 pairs of Levi jeans in the last year. All off these started tearing at different areas. With the first pair of 501's I thought it might be a once of, but all of the other jeans started doing the same. I paid between R600 and R700 for these. I thought that this is one of the best jeans one can buy, but this is deffinitely not the case. My e-mail adress is [email protected]

• Ph
    Phyllis R Mar 30, 2013

I purchased four pairs of Slim Straight Levi's 514 30 x 30 at Christmas, 2012. As of now all four pairs of jeans have developed holes in the seam below the zipper area and one pair also developed a hole n the side seam. I an very disturbed that this would happen and reading the label I find out they are made in Bangladesh. These jeans were purchased at J. C. Penney and they cost quite a bit of money. I always depended on Levis to be of good quality, BUT NOW SEE THAT HAS REALLY GONE DOWN HILL.

• Su
    Suz1952 Mar 02, 2013

I'm so disappointed with Levis and have been telling everyone I know not to purchase Levi Jeans. I bought three pair of Levis at $48.00 a piece and a month after I purchased them, one pair split at the pocket exactly like the pictures shown here. In another month another pair did the same thing. What the heck Levis? I see you tell people to call customer service and give them the info, but why don't you just FIX THE PROBLEM. These jeans are so paper thin they have no alternative but to split. I wouldn't call customer service because I will no longer buy or wear Levis. Why would I want replacement jeans when they are going to do the same thing? They are a waste of money and the company obviously doesn't give a crap. Hence the thousands of complaints. Thank God I bought mine at Zappos.com. They refunded the purchase price and told me that Not Your Daughters Jeans and Miracle Body Jeans are better. They even gave me free shipping.

• Jm
    J-M-S Jan 25, 2013

I have been wearing 501's (original pre-washed) since the 60's and have never had a problem of them ripping, though I have been wondering if they are lighter than they use to be. I have 6 pair at this time, 2 pair that are well over 2 years old that were made in Mexico that are just fine. Two pair I bought about a year ago where made in Haiti that fit tighter and the watch pocket is smaller and two pair I just bought that were made in Mexico again which fit like the old ones made in Mexico.
    The problem with the last four pair is the dye is not color fast and I have to constantly wash my hands because they turn blue. I have never had this problem before and it’s very irritating (the ones from Haiti are still bleeding after all this time). Levi’s needs to go back to the old dye!

• De
    Denise O Dec 30, 2012

After wearing and loving Levis for years, I'm finding the quality is becoming very poor and unfortunately need to shop around for something more durable. I'm on my third pair of 514 jeans in just a matter of a few moths. The first pair I assumed was a random quality issue and just tossed them and bought a new pair. The second pair ripped in the crotch the second time I wore them. Got out of my truck at work and they split a good 7-8". Got back into the truck and drive straight to the store where they replaced them for me. Now my replacement pair is ripping in the same place. I am saddened that I need to find a new brand since I've always loved the fit, but for the lowered quality I can't continue to purchase them.
    Denise O