Menu
Home Clothing, Shoes & Acc Levi Strauss & Co. Poor quality
Author of the complaint
12:44 pm
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased six pair of levi strauss "signature" jeans for my husband. All six pair within 2 weeks have started tearing at the back pocket. One pair I could maybe understand, but all six? Yesterday he bent over (he's a slender man) and the whole rear end split right down the length of the pocket. They were purchased at k-mart and they wont let you return without a receipt. Since they were levi's I didn't anticipate having to returning them. I guess i' m just screwed out of over $100.00 so much for buying american.

Update by razorxmuse
Aug 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Tom Asher from Levi called me this past week. Levi is standing by their product by replacing the jeans i was not satisfied with. It took a little while, but thank you Mr. Asher for caring enough to fix this for me. I will remain a Levi customer.

More Levi Strauss & Co. complaints & reviews

Levi Strauss & Co. - belt loops
Levi Strauss & Co. - belt loops or pocket ripped
Levi Strauss & Co. - belt loops ripped
Levi Strauss & Co. - 569 are no longer 569 and I am looking for a replacement
Levi Strauss & Co. - levi's 724
Replied
The company left an official comment to this complaint.
Levi Strauss & Co. - por material quality
146 comments
Jun 07, 2022 6:48 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have 2 brand new $59 pairs of Levi 505s that both tore at the back pockets just after 2 or 3 times wearing them. I spent $500 on Levi’s this time and 2 pairs are ruined within no time. I’ve had this happen to other pairs in the past as well, although most of them last a long time before starting to tear. I’d like to get these 2 expensive pairs replaced but have my doubts about it happening.

I have had the same problem I’ve got probably at least six pairs of jeans that are sitting in my closet with belt loops ripped out pockets ripped just not to leave as I used to remember anyways and I pay about $55 a pair for them I haven’t bought any sense I’ve been trying to others if I’m gonna spend $250 on five pairs of jeans they need to last one in a couple months I’d rather buy a cheap repair for $20 of another brand if I were to throw them away like that I remember are used to buy Levi’s years ago and wear them until they had holes all through them not sure what’s going on with the quality

N
May 03, 2022 11:59 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Same thing happened to me. Right rear pocket. Carried phone in that pocket and if I sat down with the phone in there they eventually tore. Not the same in other branded jeans. No my jeans were not too tight. Levi’s are pre washed aggressively and are just rotting out.

Apr 30, 2022 4:09 pm

I have found the same issues with my Levi’s. Back pocket problems and ripping the bottom out. Quality has went down hill as the price has increased. Very unhappy with the brand. They suck.

Apr 29, 2022 2:30 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I think I am done buying Levi Strauss jeans. I have been a Levi guy since high school. I'm 52 now. I have bought 13 pairs over the last 5 years. I have one pairs that have not ripped down the back right pocket. I have complained, I have returned them. You would think over 25 years they could fix this issue.

Apr 24, 2022 12:06 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

2 pair of signature jeans about a month old both pockets on both pair ripped out! Not good material!

W
Mar 05, 2022 7:34 am

I’m in the same boat!

Mar 04, 2022 1:44 pm

The same things happened to my husband's Levi's. I bought him for pair and already three have ripped right by the back pocket. This happened within two months of purchase. He is not overweight and no other jeans have ever done this.

Feb 19, 2022 12:08 pm

I have had this issue with over a dozen pairs of their jeans. If the 505s didn't fit so well I would have switched brands. A few years back Levi's went to a lighter weight thinner denim. I remember thinking they were more comfortable off the shelf now. But certainly don't hold up like they used to.

"The issue is that a hole forms near the inside upper corner of the back pocket when sitting. The heavy stiching on the corner of the pocket wears on the material near the inside upper pocket when sitting. Once the weak spot is formed then that area tears when bending."

I am thin so they are not too tight.

Gone are the days when I could buy a pair of Levi's and they would fade to a light blue and get really soft.

This is an issue you see posted all over the internet. Levi's need to reinforce this area or go back to better quality heavier denim. With the cost of Levi's now days it should be a better product like it was in the past.

I have been looking for a replacement jean from another company because this issue continues. They say they warrant them for a year but who keeps receipts for clothing and who has time for the hassle and cost of mailing their faulty products. Levi's, PLEASE FIX YOUR PRODUCT!

View 0 more photos

Completely agree, I’m not throwing money away more

Dec 16, 2021 5:36 pm

My response to Levi Strauss' survey following my support chat:

My fairly new jeans are ripped at the top of the back pockets. This seems to be a well known, well documented quality issue as evidenced here https://www.complaintsboard.com/levi-strauss-jeans-poor-quality-c202523 and on your Facebook page where there are many complaints identical to my own. Levi's used to be a quintessential high quality American product. These are certainly not high quality, and all of the tags inside them are printed in foreign languages (presumably Chinese). I was offered a small voucher toward a new pair of jeans, but I'll not spend more money on materials of this quality.

The support person seemed very surprised that I had this problem, which is rather disingenuous and insulting considering the volume of complaints about this exact issue on the internet.

The service rep was doing his/her best. The problem is the poor quality of the product s/he was attempting to support. By the way, contact information for your corporate officers is conspicuously absent from you web site.

Aug 25, 2021 9:54 pm

I love the fit of the 505 jeans but I have had this exact issue with the last 6 or so pairs I have purchased. It rips exactly in that same spot. I don't put anything in my back pockets and do not have any chairs or activities that they would rip on. These are not inexpensive jeans! Levi's, please fix this!

Replying to comment of John178

Looks like all the jeans are ripping in exact same places

Jul 02, 2021 8:48 pm

Levis jeans are poor quality.. I now buy jordache... I don't need to look at a hole in my [censored] after 6 months wear and tear... this product should be banned... from walmart or any other retailer who accepts inferior product quality.. high amount of polyestor... no thank you

Aug 16, 2020 10:41 am

I have several pairs of 505's tearing at the same exact spot, all less than a few months old. I switched back to levis for the better fit than wranglers, but I have wranglers I have worn for years, no issues like this!

N
Dec 17, 2019 3:14 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am so disappointed in Levi brand. They used to be the very best .Now they use low quality fabric and the quality control does not seem to exist. I have tried to get women's size 6 long jeans for at least 6 months without finding a pair that was true to size length wise. I picked up a pair ordered from Macy's today hoping they really were long enough. The stated size is 28 waist, 32 length. The measured length is 29 3/8". This seems to be all I can find either in a store or online. Chatted with a rep and she suggested a 34" length on the Levi site. What Levi needs is some quality control.
Nancy

L
Oct 09, 2019 8:59 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I bought my adult son Levi’s for Fathers Day in June 2019. It’s October 2019 and the pocket is ripped away, the fabric is split down the side of the pocket, and the belt loops are about to come off - the fabric is so thin it can’t hold together. I thought I was doing good buying a name-brand. I spent $84 for two pair on sale at Kohl’s. That’s way too much for jeans that lasted only a few months. His jeans from high school in the 1990s - which took quite a beating - lasted far longer than that, and cost way less. Shame, shame on you Levi’s.

Oct 25, 2019 12:29 pm
Replying to comment of Lynne W.B.

We continue to have the same problem with my husband's jeans. I buy them at Kohl's as well and always wait for a sale as they are pricey. They always rip out by the back pocket. Starts as a small hole at the top of the pocket and ends up ripping all the way past the pocket. I could understand it if the were old, but this usually happens within a few months time ! Guess it's time to find a new brand...

Y
Mar 22, 2019 10:12 am

I purchased 5 pairs of your shorts last summer today the last pair ripped in the same spot as the rest . These shorts are poor quality and I wouldn't suggest them to anyone ever again. I have wore Levi's my whole life but I will be finding a new kind of jeans.

Oct 24, 2018 5:02 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I don't get it. People complain that their jeans are falling apart for years. They keep buying them year after year. I stopped buying Levis over 10 years ago. If you want good tough jeans then buy Wrangler Pro Rodeo. My wife said she was going to buy me a pair of Levis recently. I told her if she did I would take them out and burn them. She knew I was serious and didn't buy them.

Aug 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Same here I have 4 pair of 550’s and they have all started to tear on right rear pocket top left corner 😤

Oct 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Al my Levis wear out in that spot also I' ve noticed for the last 5-10 years. I wonder if i can be 'planned obsolescence'. If a pair wears out below the thighs one could have always made 'cutoffs'. Not anymore. I' ve been wearing Levis for over 40 years.

I
Oct 06, 2021 5:27 pm

My jeans have also been doing the exact same thing, today I bought a new pair from Amazon, but the thickness of the material seems so poor that I am going to send them back. Bottom line is I suppose that they can only trade on their name for so long.

B
May 21, 2022 3:07 pm

Same thing with my Levi’s jeans over 50 years and now time to find different brand not giving my card number for 1$ for nothing

Jun 14, 2018 5:13 pm

Got my Signature by Levi Strauss from Walmart when they were on sale. Wore them then washed them. The dye came off so much it literally dyed my bath tub dark. I was trying to treat them and wash them as you would expensive jeans. Definitely not. But except for that part, I've been wearing them for a few months on a regular basis. I stretch my legs in these effortlessly and they are very comfortable. So far they've held up just fine and I like the color they faded into a lot. There's minor pilling at the roll-up cuffs part when I wore my boots, but that was expected since the top of my boots is fleece material. I got the one with roll-up cuffs for women, they are made in China. I say if they can make the material a tad more durable and not use that much dye on it, these would be my go-to jeans for a long time. Plus I spent about 12 bucks on them so I really can't complain. Thanks Levi's!

Apr 05, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm another dissatisfied Levi's customer. My main complaints are design changes and quality issues. Like many other reviews, I wore Levi's going back to the 60's and 70's. They were great jeans - comfortable and durable. Starting a little less than 10 years ago, things started going downhill. The designers totally ruined the 505 style. These were, for the most part, men's work jeans. The rise has been lowered to the point that they are extremely uncomfortable. I spend all day pulling them up. You can't move in these jeans without having them slide halfway down your butt. Very uncomfortable. And they are much thinner than they used to be. I have a pair of 505's that were purchased around 2003. They were near raw denim, rigid dark blue. I must have washed them more than 200 times over the years. They are faded to almost white. Those jeans, as worn as they are, are still heavier in denim weight than the most recent pair I bought in 2017. The pockets on the old ones are much deeper, and the rise fits at the waist where it supposed to. Today's 505's say they sit at the waist. That's not true. The rise on 505's is close to 11". It used to be 12".
Designers also ruined the iconic 501 style as well, both original fit and shrink-to-fit. The 'new' leg hem is ridiculous to look at. It's about an eighth of an inch. My old pairs are a good 1/2". And the single inseam stitch makes the jeans seem cheap. They also fancied up the rear pocket stitching. Taken in whole, the 501's are very feminine looking and feeling. They're certainly not a man's jean.
The bottom line is neither of these styles are anywhere worth the price. I've donated some of the new ones to thrift shops, and sold some at a yard sale for $5.

B
Jan 26, 2018 9:22 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

WoW. Just WoW. Eight years later and Levis is still in business selling an inferior product. It is almost maddening how they continue successfully peddling an inferior quality product...and even more maddening that people continue to buy it. I will buy ANY other brand of blue jeans from here on out. I don't care if LS&CO make dramatic improvements...as that is not enough to make up for ruining a once great and iconic American product.

Nov 13, 2017 9:24 am

Belt loops easily break, thread count down in order to save money lowering quality of material causing easy tearing. Ways to give exec s more money then move on in a year .

May 15, 2017 2:27 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have been wearing 501s for over 50 years but may stop purchasing any LEVI jeans. I have always enjoyed my 501s, love the buttons, the wear, fit and the classical style. They once were able to take a beating at work and at play. Even a tear by a wire fence, sharp rocks, or other activities, they would hold up. They are the Ford Mustang or the Chevy Corvette of the jean market but sadly, they have lost their horsepower. They function like a two cycle engine. The fabric is VERY light weight. I still have 20 year old 501s and you can weigh the difference. The belt loops break-off. The buttons will fall apart. What ever you do DON'T scrape the jeans or they will tear. The indigo color appears as if they they sprayed painted instead of dyed.
Levi has killed the classic jean. I want my old jeans back! Give me the workhorse. Man-Up. And the price continues to increase for a product that has failed the American jean generation. Levi '[censored]' jeans.

L
Apr 01, 2017 1:16 am

Well thought it was just me. That pic is exactly what happened to me twice recently, and a lot of belt loops ripped out. I paid a seamstress to repair the loops

Nov 10, 2016 5:21 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have a pair of 514 purchased at Costco 4 months ago. 3 washes and fabric failure at the pocket. These jeans are not a tight fit. But they are trash now. I've worn Levi's for years. I feel a change is coming.

Jul 12, 2016 3:28 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My husband is 59 yrs old and has always worn levi. Once they moved to Mexico he could tell the differnce. Same with our two sons. No two pair fit the same. Seams crooked and all the belt loops have fallen off the most recent pair. Did not bother calling them as we no longer wish to do advertising for such poor quality at a high price. Went to wrangler and all three of the men in my life are happy with them. Plus they are at a lower cost. We didn't mind paying more for American made but refuse to support a company who takes jobs to Mexico saves on labor and continues to charge as tho they are still American made.

Jun 05, 2016 8:02 pm

That's why you don't get Levi's. They've always been cheap. If you want good jeans you pay $80+. Real jeans are average $230 a pair. Go somewhere that knows something about denim, like buckle. Denim is a lifestyle! And $100 for 6 pair? That's why they ripped 😂 Cheap.

Feb 28, 2016 11:25 am

Levi jeans quality has dropped over the years even the material seems thin. My back pockets rip and my crotch wear out quick.
I have a stack of Levis at home that my wife has patched and repaired for me. I can not afford to put money in to my once favorite jean.

Feb 07, 2016 1:14 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have been wearing 501 levies for well since the 60's. but every pair for the last four years i have purchased they have ripped in crotch within 2 to 3 months. I really like levies but at this rate in the quality of them it is starting to cost to much. Don't know if you have changed the grade of your material or what but at this rate three pair at $45.00 each every 6 months you will be losing a long time customer. in the past i have never ever had any problems with the 501's tried other styles of levies. don't like the way they fit.
Sincerely,
James

Dec 28, 2015 8:50 am

I purchased 3 pair of levi signature jeans and in less than 2 weeks the snap had broken on 1 pair, 2 months the waist band is tearing loose on anoher pair the third pair I will not wear anymore because I don't want to be embarrassed if they fall apart when I am out in public

Dec 11, 2015 3:17 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I just called Customer Care about this very same issue with 2 new pair of women's LS Signature jeans. They're sending me a return label for quality control, and will replace them. I, too, purchased mine from Walmart, and was told today that they get theirs from vendors in other countries. The remedy is to order straight from LS.

Nov 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Dear sir, I return my dress. i want my money back Bank Name: HDFC bank Bank Branch: valasaravakkam chennai branch. A/c HOLDER name: R.senthil rethinam A/c No: [protected] IFC Code: 0000024 Pl. refund my rs. 499 ph [protected]

U
Nov 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Will not be buying Levi's anymore. Have been wearing 515 for about 8 years. When I bought a new pair a couple of years ago, I knew just by feeling the jeans that quality had gone down. Thinner and not a feeling of a pair of jeans anymore but I washed them and they felt better. The last straw was a couple of months ago, I ordered a new pair of 515's because I don't have time right now to find another type of jean to fit well. The pair of jeans is almost paper thin. I wear the jeans and in half a day they are all stretched out...do not even hold their shape anymore. Quality is no more! I will now start looking for a different brand of jean because Levi has lost my business. Will Not Buy Again!

C
Aug 25, 2015 10:42 am

Good afternoon
I write in the hope you may be able to assist, orpoint me in the right direction.

I purchased a pair of Levis 751 stretch jeans for a Christmas present for my husband.

My husband was really pleased with them and they fitted perfectly. In total he has worn these jeans around 8/9 times and we noticed recently that the material at the side of the left back pocked had all ripped/freyed making these jeans now unwearable! Levis jeans are usually known for them being very heard wearing.

I have contacted where I purchased them from and they are not being much help. My husband is very upset and so am I. I have tried emailing on the Levis website for the email section isn't working.

I am hoping Levis can do something about this and will contact me by return

Thankyou

G
Jul 05, 2015 12:32 am

I would really like to know why the Levi's corporation does not publicly address the notorious inconsistency of sizing and quality of their merchandise. I get that they farm out manufacturing to third-world countries. But why is it that they don't impose consistent standards -- the same measurements, the same density of denim, the same dyes, etc.? Maybe they don't care. Maybe it's the usual corporate greed. But they must have some rationale, no matter how warped, to explain it.

R

What scares me more than the poor quality of the jeans is that this site has had complaints that date back to 2009. I'm no math wizard but that seems like 6 years. Like most others on here I have only worn Levis for the last 35 years. They have all lasted a long long time, I stated getting on my 5 children for always ripping and tearing their jeans and having to replace them. Well I just bought a new pair for the first time in like 10 years. I pair of 550's washed them first and put them on I tugged on the belt loop to pull them up and it ripped a whole and the belt loop broke. I returned them to jcp and got another pair of 36 x 32's the last ones fit perfectly, nice and loose. I put this pair on to go to work today and they are about 4-5 sizes too small. I thought I made a mistake in the size so I checked them and sure enough they are labeled 36 x 32 but there is no way there can be a 3-4 inch gap to get them closed. Looks like I will have to abandon the brand for something else. The real tell here is that I dont think Levis really cares either. 6 years of poor quality complaints and I see the same things happening in 2015 as 2009 and 2010 pretty much says it all to me. Sad in Md

Mar 11, 2015 11:59 pm

I purchased a pair of 514's Slim Straight. These jeans are already prefaced. I wore these jeans maybe 10 times and they tore in the pocket like the first picture. Fred Meyer (Krogers) will not accept them back.

Feb 07, 2015 9:37 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I just purchased three pair of 505's un washed. When I was wearing a pair I noticed the front pockets weren't as deep. when I measured them compare to my olds ones eleven inches, the new ones were only nine inches. Too shallow for my liking and of course since I tried them on and they fit I washed them, and now they won't take them back! They will be the last pair I own

T

Levi's jeans bought with holes around rivets on back pocket. They lasted about 2 months. Clearly I am not satisfied.

T

Levi's signature jeans show poor quality around back pocket rivets. The jeans are 2 months old and clearly are on the last wear soon. I bought three pairs; only 1 shows the poor quality. This is not acceptable because the value of the $ I paid did not go down like the jeans. I'm not satisfied with Levi's jeans!

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

251 complaints