LensCraftersexam cost

R

I went to the Fox Valley Lenscrafters on 6/16/10 for my 5:30 appt. I got there on time and was told to sit in a waiting area. A lady got me and took me back to the initial exam room. She was kind of pushy. I said that I wanted a contact lens exam and she said "So you want the Comprehensive Exam" and then proceeded to do the initial testing. I saw the eye doctor, who was great, and was fitted with my new contact lens Rx. Great. All is good so far.

Then the same lady started getting really pushy with my frames choice. I've had glasses since I was 8. I can handle picking frames. I am the type who likes to not have salespeople bother me when I'm looking. LOL she MUST have been commission based because she scowled every time I said I wouldn't pay more than $150 for frames. Anyway, I finally picked frames she liked and we went to do the paperwork. She kept adding things to the order to my lenses, like coating etc without asking me! The initial total for the glasses was about $800! OMG. I finally got her down to what she said was my "final total" of $388. I was expecting about $350-$400 for my bill since it is convienient to get the glasses in an hour and be done with it. I also wanted to give my eyes a break from contacts. That is also about what I paid the last time I got new glasses.

Anyway, she then says my total is $536! Apparently, my "final total" didn't include my "comprehensive exam" which totalled $148! I was expecting the exam to be $75 for a contact lens exam. Apparently, she added extra exams without telling me. Ok, it can be argued that I should have been paying attention but how am I supposed to know what a comprehensive exam is? I said I wanted a CONTACT LENS exam. By now, it's 7:30 and I'm tired of arguing so I just pay the bill. Then she says that I have to wait two weeks for my glasses! Getting the glasses that day was my whole reason for going there and I invested 2 hrs of my life there. If they are not there in exactly two weeks, I will return my order.

And I was supposed to get 30% off my exam because of my motor club but she didn't enter it. I also was not given my contact lens prescription. I think she was mad because I said I'd order my contacts on my own after I got the $536 "final total"!

RESOLVED

• LensCrafters's response · Jul 01, 2010

My name is Jennifer, I am a representative for LensCrafters Corporate Customer Care. I would very much like the opportunity to assist you with your complaints. I invite you to please contact me at [email protected] or by calling [protected], option 5.

I look forward to hearing from you!

anonymousoptician Jun 28, 2010

$148 is low-end for a contact lens exam. The only places that charge a whole lot less are the discounters who rush you in and rush you out to the tune of 5-10 minutes and inferior service.

A comprehensive exam is the only kind of eye exam you want -- it's the only kind that checks for all eye health problems and issues.

My eye doctor (who is unaffiliated with ANY corporate entity, BTW) charges $200 for my contact lens exam without insurance, etc -- but the exam takes nearly an hour, I spend little, if any, time waiting around for doctors or technicians, and he writes the best prescriptions I've ever had.

• Ni
    Nikolas T Jan 28, 2011

Sorry bud but you bit yourself in the butt. I've had glasses since I was 7 and I knew that you have to get a comprehensive exam before getting a contact exam. I now work for an eye doctor and we only charge 134 for a comprehensive and contact exam. He's a great eye doctor and does not push you around. It's a private practice and has been here for 6 years now. Private practices are the best place to go for exams, glasses and contacts. You'll find their prices are as good or better and their service and courtesy is at least 10 times better because it's a much more personal atmosphere.