Kodak ESP-3 All in one printerPrinter Cartridge - Fradulant Advertising

J Review updated:

After seeing commercials for the Kodak ESP-3 printer in the fall of 2009 I checked the ink costs and purchased one. I used it very little and at aproximately 4 months of ownership the printer said it was out of color ink. Even though there was black ink left and it had printed fine the last time I used it, the printer locked itself in standby mode. I found this very suspicious and took apart the ink cartidge to find all of the sponges damp with ink (enough to stain my fingers). I contacted Kodak where I was instructed to purchase a new color cartridge, well the printer wasn't happy and I also had to purchase a black cartridge as well. I also checked into refilling the cartridges and found they are electronically disabled to prevent future use. After installing new cartridges I disabled all color printing through control panel/print options (Jan). March 3rd 2010 I wanted to print two photos and went in my settings to allow color printing. Even though the new color cartridge had never been used the graphic shows that 1/4 of the color ink is gone which is the exact amount of black ink gone. After I printed the two photos it dropped even more and once again I have suspended color printing. It is my opinion that these printers are programmed to report false ink levels to the consumer to ensure the sale of Ink cartridges. The fact that they advertise how they will save you money is a fraudulant claim. After contacting Kodak via phone and email I could find no help on how to reactivate a disabled cartridge if it was refilled or still had ink left. It is easy to see that the printer isnt monitoring ink levels at all or a refilled cartridge would work the same as a new one. After reviewing all literature available at the time of purchase no where does Kodak inform its consumer of this deceptive strategy.

Mar 03, 2010

After submitting a copy of the above complaint to Kodak I was contacted with in four hours and offered to upgrade to the Kodak ESP 3250. Kodak is also sending extra ink cartridges, 4X6 photo paper, and a postage paid box to return the ESP - 3. Although they admit no guilt in this matter and feel I may have a faulty print head. They did acknowledge that there cartridges are deactivated to prevent future use. In a few months I will post any information I have found on the 3250.

Apr 12, 2010

I purchased a Kodak ESP 9 in Dec. 09. I have some of the same problems. I purchased the brand to save money on ink, but I too find the ink running out way too soon. This printer is only used at home and not that often. I believe these printers are DEFECTIVE. Every time I replace an ink cartridge the print quality is terrible OR nothing prints at all. Each time I replace the ink cartridge and have this problem I call Kodak and they say I need a NEW print head. They have something very faulty with the print head in this product. I think they should be recalled.

• N
      Jun 02, 2010

I purchased a Kodak Esp 3 and have had multiple problems with ink levels. The latest issue is now it won't work at all because it is reading that there is no ink. I have used just as much ink as any other printer. I do not recomend these printers. Too many problems!

• T
      Oct 05, 2010

I too agree with the deceptive reading on the amount of ink left in the cartridge. I purchased the Kodak ESP 3250 for the features and the advertised ink usage. I print all of my work on quick print to keep from using up ink. I haven't used the color in at all, but the ink levels are not correct. The black states 3/4 empty, and have only printed 18 pieces of paper on quick print. The color states I'm out, but I have never used it.

Recall these printers Kodak, if you want loyal customers to stay with you.

• U
      Oct 10, 2010

I agree with this complaint. I have never owned such a terrible printer. I wish we got to use if for four moths. We bought this printer so when we got back from Florida we could print up all the pictures we took. But the end result was a bunch of pictures that had nothing but lines going through them. This was the worst purchase i can say we have ever bought. We were actually told while purchasing a new cell phone that there was a recall on this printer, however when we went online to get the information we found out that it wasnt' true. We just don't know what to do with this piece of crap!

Oct 17, 2010

I have had a Kodak ESP3 All in One Printer for almost a year now and have had similar problems as the other posts indicate: mostly that the photos had horizontal lines and people with dark hair ended up with white hair in the photo I printed. I called Kodak today and the rep is sending me a new (Re-Certified) printer. He said I have a hardware problem. The replacement printer is at no charge to me via UPS shipping. Re-certified, according to the rep, means that it was a store display model returned to Kodak to make sure everything still works.

Oct 20, 2010

I too have the same amount of problems with esp-3, I've contacted kodak which has acknowledged they would replace the the printer. The printer completely stop working after I spoke to support over the phone. My understanding is that it is still under warranty.I sent by fax the receipt of purchase and still kodak has not commented as to what kodak will do about it.maybe nothing. The color red stopped working. and then all it will do is turn on and nothing after that

Oct 27, 2010

I have found the same issues with my ESP3. I thought I was just confused that the ink went so fast, that maybe we've printed more than we knew. But after reading this complaint board I now know its not a mistake. My printer wont even come on, it tries to start up but then just shuts off while the black ink light blinks red. I always print on quick print. I'm going to see if a new cartridge will fix it, then see how long and how much we print before it goes out.

Nov 12, 2010

I'm having the same issues with the ESP 3. I have owned it for a couple years, and while the price of the ink is right, ($14 for color, $10 for black, ) I found myself buying the carts more often. So is there really a savings? I don't think so. Now I am having terrible banding and missing lines issues. Went through all of the maintenance functions, and customer support, (which told me I couldn't fix it myself.) I dislike not having a reliable printer- it is time to move on. No more Kodak for me. They had the right idea, they just didn't actually do what they promised. Maybe a laser printer is the answer?

• G
      Nov 14, 2010

I have just replaced my color ink cartridge in ESP 5250 but it still shows that I need to replace color cartridge. I have made sure that new cartridge is making contact with the 2 little pins as per instructions, but still does not work. The thing is I have not printed a page sense I have been trying to install new color cartridge and my black ink has gone from a 1/2 of a cartridge to empty and needs replacing. Disassembled both cartridges and found that I still had a teaspoon of ink left in black and same with old color cartridge. This proves that there was still a good bit of ink left. So I went and bought a new color cartridge for my 5 year old Lexmark X5070 and went to printing without any troubles. The X5070 has had no telling how many cartridges replaced and printed 1000's of pages (Old Reliable).
    This is my first and last Kodak printer. The ESP 5250 has just went in the trash-the perfect way to solve the Kodak problem. I will not buy another cartridge.

Jan 17, 2011

I too have the same problem. I recently purchased a new ink cartridge and only printed 30 pages before the ink was gone. This printer does not print the 400 pages that it reports. I believe that this is fraud and that Kodak should replace my printer.

Feb 06, 2011

When I notified the firm's tech support branch they avoided commenting on the subject of my Email [fraudulent advertising as noted by the first poster to this comment section]. I then wrote both the CEO and copied the Service Manager. The latter called and rather than admit the ESP3250 was designed as reported, offered to send free ink supplies. Had such been received I would have used them up and then returned to my customary $40.00 Cannon printer choice [when it went dry I simply trashed is and bought another at Walmart]. However, when the printer refused to print in black [with a brand new black cartridge in place] unless I also purchased a color one as well my decision to bring it back to Walmart for a credit as a form of retaliation for yet another manufacturer's effort to deceive to unload inventory with what I describe as an: undisclosed Trojan Horse caveat attached.

• R
      Mar 04, 2011

I also purchased a kodak esp-3 printer in 2009 or 2010 to save money on ink cartridges as per kodak's advertisements. The quality of the pictures has never been good and the ink cartridges do not last for any length of time. Cannot print 30 or 40 color prints without getting an out of ink status and printer shuts down. The last cartridges I purchased didn't give me but 10 printouts before I got an "out of ink" indication. I think the printer is incorrectly monitoring the cartridges, because the ink is still moist on the cartridge heads. These are worthless printers. I will never buy another Kodak printer.

• A
      Mar 07, 2011

I agree with all the above. I have a ESp 7 it tells me my ink has run out. I can not use any of the other facilities until I replace the ink carts. This is supposed to be an ALL IN ONE PRINTER! but it isnt its a printer that forces you to but carts before you can use the other actions, like scanning, photo display, ect. Its like customer blackmail and I beleive it contravenes The Trades Discriptions Act here in the UK. I am writing to the Managing Director of KODAK UK for answers and I will keep you informed of his replies.

Andy

• F
      Apr 13, 2011

I am a Kodak employee. I worked in the printer division for over 30 years. When I needed a printer I bought 2 of the 5100 printers because I believe the hype over the reduced ink costs. But I must say I'm embarrassed not only by the poor quality of the product but by the level of service and support. George Eastman would be turning over in his grave. I just spent over an hour on the chat with a service rep to order me a replacement cartridge. An hour! Really? I have a drawer full of defective cartridges that still have ink but will not allow me to use. I'm sorry to say I have no more faith in the company or their products.

Apr 21, 2011

i purchased an ESP5 product in september and haven't been able to get a minimum of 20 good printed pages out of it yet. they sent me a new printerhead which hasn't helped. the cartridges run out of ink well before they should. i have bought a lot of computer accessories in my 67 years and a lot of kodak products. all in all, their service is lousy, and their products are even worse. they will never get another dime of my business and i pray others will be forewarned about what to expect when dealing with the illustrious kodak folks! a total waste of $150.

Apr 26, 2011

I too fell victim to Kodak's advertising and thought that I finally found a solution to the monopolistic approach that other printer manufacturers have taken. Unfortunately, it did not take me long to find out that there products do not deliver anywhere near what their advertisements promise. I have a Kodak ESP3250, and found that when a cartridge times out and displays the low ink warning, you are unable to print at all. I can not even print in black and white if the color cartridge shows empty. A call to Kodak was dreadfully unsuccessful in getting me any answers, and they are protecting at all costs their methodology of determining how and when the cartridges display the low ink warning. I can't wait for the class action suit to be filed, I have lots of information to supply in the cause against them.

One more update...

As a completely unsatisfied customer, and being so displeased with the answers I received from the customer service department as well as from Judith Goonan (Director of Customer Relations), I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Seems Kodak uses a very standard E-mail format of firstname.[protected]@kodak.com. This format also works for other Kodak employees, including their Executives:

I followed up with each and every Executive via E-mail, and am finally getting some attention on this situation and have the wheels in motion to getting some answers.

If you are having poor success with the Kodak customer service channels, I highly recommend this technique to get some answers. Perhaps flooding the Executives with unanswered complaints and demanding some changes will put the wheels of change in motion a bit quicker than standard customer service channels allow.

to be continued...

• Z
      Apr 26, 2011

Kodak esp3250 is a total waste of money. It has yet to print my first picture or text. I bought new ink cart to no avail. This is my very last Kodak purchase period. Shame on you kodak for misrepresenting your product. Be warned, Kodak will rob you blind!

Apr 28, 2011

I have the ESP Office 6150. Ink ran out much faster than my old Lexmark. I print a lot of B&W pages but only occasional color pages. The color cartridge kept noisily alarming and flashing "low ink level" and the B&W printouts were streaky . Bought new black cartridge and planned to avoid color pages to save ink. However you can't print B&W without color cartridge because part of the black comes from the color cartridge. After a new B&W cartridge print was still streaky. So even though I had hardly used it I had to buy a new color cartridge to get any printing done. Really disappointed with Kodak. Quality of color printing is poor also-even with new cartridge - and this printer is supposed to be one of their top line.
    AVOID KODAK PRINTERS

Apr 30, 2011

The plot thickens,

I also just discovered that an empty cartridge prevents me from scanning a document. Can't wait to hear Kodak's reasoning to prevent a scan based on an empty cartridge, when a scan has NO possible negative side affect on a cartridge or ink jet...

• G
      May 08, 2011

I have a ESP-7, got rid of my Lexmark hoping for more pages per cartrige. It now appears after 6 months of ownership that their is an internal clock running that notifies the user of low ink and then disables the printer. I use mine in my home and did not print more than 5 pages with minimal color on them. Within 4 mths the machine informed me I needed to replace the color cartrige. I have gotten about 40 pages using the black cartrige. Which I have replaced three (3) times now getting a total of 150 pages on one side. But-But, if I remove the carteige and reinstall it shows a replacement is needed, Hmmmmmmmmmmm. What I do is use windows to remove all Kodak software and reboot, I refill the ink cartrige with after market ink, reinstall cartrige, I fill up the color with black also and reinstall cartrige...Then I reinstall the software like I was setting up for the first time and Whalaaaaaaa the cartriges show full and ready to print.. What a bunch of crap to go through.

• Class action suit anyone? Really! I'm serious. Someone get one going and maybe they'll find a way to change the nature of their print cartridges so that the little chip inside won't send messages to your computer claiming to be empty when it indeed is NOT.

May 12, 2011

I have a ESP-6150 everytime one ink goes dry color or black the printer locks up and that is it. You have to buy a new ink. Well I think HP got sued over faulty ink cartridge reading's and it per bull the printer shuts down because on ink is dead. I buying an HP again next time.

May 15, 2011

I have the ESP3 and I love it the first time I used it, but soon as I started replacing cartridges something went wrong and now it just pulls paper, jams and will not go to a ready state. I cannot load new firmware or try to make any corrections to it. I have new cartridges and cannot even get the printer to sense that they are there. Terrible waste of my time and money.

• P
      Jun 03, 2011

I am having the same trouble with my 5250 Kodak printer. I've already replaced the ink head once and after just putting in a new color cartridge, my printer is telling me it is empty and I can go no further. I can't even disable color to get black and white prints. Looks like another print head is needed, but I may trash this printer and buy another brand. I have had other problems with this printer and prints are not that great. Very disappointed in Kodak claims about this printer.

• F
      Jun 13, 2011

I also have the 6150. I am having the same exact issues with the ink situation! have a new black cartridge however, it wont allow me to print anything due to it requiring a new color cartridge! although, the color cartridge appears to have a decent amount of ink left in it! very frustrating...

Jun 21, 2011

This is so completely wrong. Anyone who knows how printers -- specifically Kodak printers -- work would know this complaint is totally inaccurate and baseless.

Kodak cartridges cannot be refilled because they use an altogether different type of ink than any other brand of printer (a special type of pigment-based ink). Attempts to refill them would render them with standard ink would render them useless (not to mention using refilled cartridges in printers sometimes voids your manufacturer's warranty). This is also why it is recommended to use Kodak-branded photo paper for photo prints, and not other brands or generic photo paper.

Your color cartridge ran dry because it was installed. All ink eventually dries up, regardless of use. The fact that its ink level was the same as your black cartridge was a coincidence. If you want to print in black and white, buy a laser printer; that's what it's for.

The "sponges" inside the cartridges still contained some ink because they are... well, they're sponges. They're designed to control the flow of ink. It's not like a gas tank where it can eventually go totally empty. The flow of ink has to be very carefully controlled and managed so that you don't get blotchy printing. Hence, the "sponges" that keep the ink from just running out all over the place. Every cartridge, regardless of the manufacturer, will still contain some ink, even when they are no longer useable.

Everything you said in this complaint has literally nothing to do with Kodak being deceptive or somehow lying to you about ink levels. You should really understand the technical nature of a product before you start spewing complaints that make no sense and have no grounding in reality. You only contribute to the ignorance of others.

And no, I don't work for Kodak.

Jun 29, 2011

Cubex DE is completely wrong, and is a total idiot.
    It doesn't matter whether Kodak uses proprietary ink or the sponges are still wet. These printers are not printing anywhere near the quantity of pages they are advertised to print. This is not my first printer, Cubex, but it is the first printer that needs a new ink cartridge in a month after printing maybe 20 photos. There is no way a cartridge dries up in a month. Six months, maybe. However, I have had printers sit for six months, then print without a problem.
    Another valid point...My ESP 9 now needs another color cartridge. This means I cannot fax, scan, or view photos on the viewer? Really, BS. They are intentionally disabling other functions until you buy new ink, open it, install it, and in Cubex's words, allow it to dry out.
    Another interesting point, the price of ink was supposed to remain at 10 dollars for black and 15 dollars for color. Well, at the local walmart, black is now 12.99, and color is 19.99? Over a 25% increase in cost.
    A laser printer, Cubex? Really? Because, like most people I know, since most of my printing is in black and white, I need to buy a $600 laser printer? Your own ignorance has contributed to the inaccuracy and irrelevance of your post. You simpleton.

• O
      Jul 01, 2011

I totally agree, Kodak is ripping us off, however my problem maybe a little different. I ran out of color and could not print anything, bought a color cartridge and installed it, now the black started to print so lite you could hardly read it. So I go to get a black cartridge, the one in the ESP3 should still be 3/4 full. I put that one in and now the color cartridge is saying it is empty. It hasn't printed but just a few pages. Wish I still had my HP ll and to hell with the color. I do hope they get sued.

Jul 01, 2011

number 1: when you buy a printer, they give you "starter" ink. there is less than half the normal amount in these starters. this is the same regardless of printer manuf.
    number 2: when you replace ink, most times the computer doesnt have the slightest idea of the ink levels. its going off of feedback it gets from the printer. did you reset the ink level in the printer properties to tell it that it was a new cartridge?

• A
      Jul 01, 2011

This is not something I normally do, but I am so angry right now that I had to add my 2 cents. There is something not right about these printers. I have an ESP 3250, it is less than a year old, we have had to replace the ink cartridges 5 times and are not getting even 1/4 of printing that we should. Just replaced our cartridges again about 5 days ago and now it is telling us to do it again. They are installed correctly as per the instructions. I'm sorry, but they are not going to "dry out" that fast. So much for saving money, we are not only out the money for the printer, but also the 5 (going on 6) sets of ink cartridges, that it claimed needed replacing, not too mention the poorly printed documents that were not usable. I should also mention, out of all the color cartridges we have replaced, I have printed a total of 4 things in color and largest was a whopping 3 inches by 4 inches. I even tried to only print black and white no grayscale or color and it did not work. I am going to email kodak, but do not hold out much hope for any resolution. I will never buy another kodak printer.

Jul 12, 2011

I was checking to see whether I was the only one deceived by the advertisement. I also purchased the Kodak ESP and get between 10-515 copies before it tells me it is out of in. I refuse to purchase more cartridges and will just use it for a scanner. I will never purchase another Kodak product.

Jul 12, 2011

I don't know where the 515 came from. More like 15 (Fifteen). Definitely sounds like false advertising to me. I am shocked at Kodak. Does any know where the cartridges are made? That may explain the reduction in quality.

• D
      Sep 11, 2011

I agree with all of the above complaints and am evenn more infuriated when I get a customer service rep { after 10 minutes on the phone listening to pre recorded messages} in INDIA!. Barely speaks english although very polite. Had to repeat myself at least twice on every sentence. Finally gave up.
    If they sell products they should be forced to provide service and customer support. BRING JOBS BACK TO THE COUNTRY WHERE YOU SELL!!!

My "cheaper to operate" printer is now in the trash JUNK!!

Sep 19, 2011

Count me among those who will NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER buy another Kodak product. NOT EVER!!!

My ESP 3250 drives me batty. The software is ssllooww and that is being kind. It is SLOW! I can go to the kitchen and fix a sandwich while it is deciding whether to print or not. Then, just as with so many of the other complaints here and elsewhere, it locks up and refuses to print a B/W document, demanding that I replace the color cartridge, even though I have been printing ONLY B/W documents for weeks.

The whole thing about refusing to print, vs just going ahead and printing a job in progress is maddening beyond description. Who do they think they are to inflict this behavior on a user who may DESPERATELY need to print a document right away?? As many have noted, the cartridges UNQUESTIONABLY have adequate ink for many more pages at the point the printer demands a replacement.

• S
      Oct 27, 2011

i purchased a esp 9 a couple months back and it worked fine till now, which now i know the print head is faulty tells me to replace color cartridge which there is a brand new one in it

Nov 08, 2011

(Kodak ESP 7) ink levels 30% black 30% color - changed from usb cable to network cable
    connection - ink levels dropped to 25% black 20%color did not print anything.
    what a waste of money going to buy Epson printers instead

Dec 05, 2011

I just purchase a Kodak printer. I had a Dell printer which was great but got broken by an accident. I switched to Kodak since they advertise they have the cheapest ink! This is a fraudulent claim! My dell printer's ink lasted much longer for the price than the Kodak and I feel I have been majorly ripped off by Kodak's false advertising!

• D
      Dec 30, 2011

is there anyone out there that can technically prove that
    the printer is falsley reading ink levels? and/or can prove and
    has the money to sue kodak for thier falsities in thier advertisments.
    if so, someone please do it so the rest of us can get some
    restitution for being scammed, and be given new printers that
    actually work like they are supposed to.