Inteliusscam and fraud

R

After running a $9.95 address/phone search (one time charge), i find six months later I've been paying $19.95 monthly for "home Protection services by Intellius." 1. shame on me for paying bills this carelessly. 2. This organization is all over the web with charges of fraud and somehow managing, in a smarmy fashion, to initiate this monthly billing.

I plan to dispute all these charges as "intentionally misleading and malicious 3rd party fraud." I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE who has had the same experience to DISPUTE the charges with your credit card company. Given these circumstances you stand an excellent chance of winning this dispute and Intellius refunding, or at least settling for reparation.

RESOLVED

• Intelius's response · Dec 28, 2009

If you would like additional help, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 10:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius's response · Aug 26, 2010

If you received a receipt via email the report would have been processed. You can close and reopen the browser, the report will be stored on the website to view for the next 45 days.

Please call [protected] Monday – Friday 5am – 8pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius's response · Nov 17, 2010

I am sorry to hear that you were not able to find the information you were looking for. You can certainly contact the customer support team for assistance in locating that information.
    Please call [protected] Monday to Friday from 5am to 8pm and Saturday from 6am to 4:30pm. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius's response · Mar 15, 2011

• Sn
    sniper11 Jun 23, 2011

UK dirrectors name of this scamming company is Andrew Millet. Further details about him and his diresctors will be posted soon.????

• Sn
    sniper11 Jun 23, 2011

UK name is Andrew Millet His personal details will be published soon

• Ol
    Oldangel Mar 13, 2011

I found they are a large mess I had one experience with them and that was enough.You never get the results they say you will. Each time you click submit they want to sell you more searches that were supposed to be included in the one you just bought!!! Someone should do something about this!!!

• Pa
    panocha Mar 13, 2011

im trying to look for somebody and i put my debit card # and now when they feel like it deduct money out of my account suposse to be .95 cents and they charge me 19.95 two times i want my money back, they dont give me no information about the person, they riped me off

• Bo
    bondakadi Mar 04, 2011

Whose looking into these complaints? How can we get the money back from 24assistance. They have my wrong name and also incorrect address, for over year they have been billing me 29.95 charge on my credit card. How can I get my money back. How is that no action is taken these sites?

• Ad
    Adam Q Smith Jan 06, 2011

Intellius is run by a [censor]-sucking criminal names Naveen Jain. He runs a huge variety of scams -- one of them aided and abetted by the company I work for, Yahoo (via People Search). Our execs have had a massive number of complaints about Intellius but prefer to take the stolen money. All of them should be in jail.

• Ke
    Keleia Jan 02, 2011

This is an AMAZINGLY FRAUDULENT COMPANY. I cannot even get to the section to cancel. I will call my credit card company tomorrow to stop and any all charges from this terrible company. BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE!

nonnabee123 Nov 16, 2010

I made a simple $.99 address inquiry for which they ended up charging me $6.21. The information I received was 10 years old and usless, becuse I already knew it, and more. When I called them to complain, their rep told me that all they guarantee is the information they have, not the accuracy nor the time frame; they would not refund my money.

• Ly
    lynn kleinke Aug 17, 2010

just made an order for 7$ and when i try to use the service online, the websight will go nowhere. cant get ahold by phone either. want to cancel order. how can i do this if i cant contact them?

• Bs
    Bsmith7 Apr 27, 2010

This just happened to me. Luckily i caught it before i lost too much money. did the .95 cent search and then was charged 8.95 for whatever and then the 19.95 for something else thought i was done till i checked my bank account and low and behold ANOTHER 19.95 drafted out! I didn't have the time or patience to argue a refund so i chalked it up to a loss and am now going to closely monitor my account these next few weeks.Tricky tricky Intellius.

• Po
    Polly08 Apr 03, 2010

These guys are definitely in the business to see who they can trap. Of course that word "free" is the first bait. Once you get on their site very little is free, and if you're not careful they will rope you into something you never thought of or agreed to. At each they make the "No, thanks" so tiny you have to search for it. Also, even when you have an account with the the pay screen will pop up asking for more money. You have to look carefully to find and select "use one of my included searches." My best advice is just to stay away from.

• Mi
    MikeHamilton Mar 03, 2010

these people are scam artists, avoid at all costs

• Ty
    tyggerss2 Dec 21, 2009

W$19.99 a month. Called my bank to dispute then called Intellius direct and talked with a William. Listened to my request to cancel/refund then went to talk to a supervisor. He came back to say he cancelled it and I would get a 5-month refund. I was ready for a fight, but he acquiesced.

• Kh
    KHowell Sep 12, 2009

I have been trying to cancel service all week before I was charged. Cancel button does not work. I wake up saturday morning to see a pending charge. I can not call them to cancel but now I have been charged a service fee I wish to not use. I have canceled my card and now I still need to find out how to cancel this service.

• Mi
    misty10 Aug 21, 2009

I was also charged for this identity theft subscription. I called them and e-mailed them and told them to get it off of there and to credit my account. I need to check and see if they have done that. They said they would cancel it.

• Se
    Seven Venomous Jul 23, 2009

I was charged for the 19.95 for looking up an old friend. I went to the site, logged in and saw no way to cancel not even an email address. So I changed my billing info to an old canceled credit card. And humoruosly I was emailed a nasty gram from Intellius saying my account will revert to basic unless I paid. Screw em!

• Le
    Lenny Jul 21, 2009

The website indicates $19.96 for a backround check. After charging my credit card they charged me $49.95 and then the following month $19.95 for a membership I didn't want. Calling their customer service is a nightmare.

• Pa
    Paul DesRochers Jul 18, 2009

Same thing happened to me on July 17.

• In
    Intellius is the devil!!!! Jul 09, 2009

I requested a reverse phone number lookup and paid $0.99 and they automatically signed me up for ID Protect service. HOWEVER, I cancelled it 5 days later (within the trial period) but they still charged my card $19.95. I called their "Help" numbers but it said, they are "temporarily unable to answer any calls"!!! THis is so frustrating...Can anything be done to stop them from continuing this scam????

• Ly
    lyen Jul 08, 2009

I have a similar experience, used the "one time" for $0.95 service; my card has been charged 19.95 per monthe since.

• Cl
    ClassAdvocate Jun 16, 2009

There are plenty of similar complaints against this company. I am not aware of any class actions currently underway, although here is a list of class actions against internet service companies. I hope it helps.

I will dig a little deeper and see if I can find a class action investigation against this company.

• Ge
    GeneralStark Jun 05, 2009

I tried to recreate the problem on their site but could not. Where was the $.48 offer? What specific steps did you take? I am a class action junkie. My site is www.classadvocate.com. I know of no pending class actions that relate to Intellius or search companies, but yours does sound fishy. YOu can follow up with me by using the "Contact Us" tab at www.classadvocate.com if you so desire.

• Re
    REC Jun 05, 2009

I tried this Intellius for a trial 48 cent test to find one phone number and ended up with 3 months worth of charges at $19.95 plus another company called Valu max also started charging the same $19.95 per month for 3 months. Be aware that they "may" be sharing your bank card info.
    At least I have it stopped now by cancelling my bank account and notifing by banks fraud division.

• Ke
    Kevin May 28, 2009

I used Itellius for a one time charge of .95 cents. I marked the box for the one time use. On the SECOND page of the agreement if you do not opt out in seven days they will charge you 19.95 a month. I called customer service. The first person I talked to was unwilling to refund my 19.95. I asked to talk to a supervisor, I told them I would dispute the charge on my card, I told them I would blacklist them. I also told them I would get a new card with a new number. I told her their info was not accurate in any way. They refunded my money! Their info is only accurate if people fill out a new voter card, change of address, etc.

I DID GET SATISFACTION DON'T GIVE UP !

• Ru
    Ruby May 21, 2009

I too was charged, unfortuneatly 3 times now, at 19.95 for both Intellius and Valuemax..it seem they work together. My bank is reversing, but make sure you tell bank to STOP PAY on FUTURE charges, because they still haven't stopped on mine. They are a scam for sure and I think I may go to Federal Trade Commission because this is just wrong.

• Cr
    Cris May 08, 2009

I just got charged today for $19.95 for a subscription I never made! I just had one number looked up and got an email they will charge me. I capied to cancel and now I'm still charged! I'm afraid this will be a monthly thing ! Pls someone help us! This is Internet scam! This business gas no integrity !

Sara May 06, 2009

Intellius also promised me a background check and after purchased all I was given was a name and phone number. Then the fee for the account showed up on my credit card, an account I never signed up for. You call them and get put on hold for 30-45 minutes at a time just for someone to tell you there is nothing they can do. They are a rip off and I feel they should be shut down.

Lisa May 02, 2009

1) CrossCountrySavings, DealMax and SimplyYou are subsidiaries of "Adaptive Marketing LLC".
    2) AtHomeRewards and YourSavingsClub are subsidiaries of "MemberWorks Canada".
    3) Adaptive Marketing LLC and MemberWorks Canada are subsidiaries of "Vertrue Incorporated".
    4) Each organization employs similarly evasive website formats and legal policies.

As these organizations apparently have access to my account information even when accounts are closed and numbers are changed, it is likely that the Vertrue business model is based on identity theft. Information for the organizations involved follows:

Vertrue Incorporated

www.athome-rewards.com

YourSavingsClub
    www.yoursavingsclub.ca

Lisa May 02, 2009

This is all linked to the fraudulent company ADAPTIVE MARKETING that runs hundreds of different opt in scams. Privacy Matters and At Home Rewards are two of the companies that will charge your credit card without your consent. Don't forget to tell them to remove you from their database or they will sell your information. Crooks! I had to cancel my credit card after they signed me up for services I never signed up for. Here is a list of Adaptive Marketing's scam sites:

24assistance.com
    vsescapes.com
    vssportandspa.com
    yoursavingsclub.ca
    yoursavingsclub.com

The following domains have been added since I wrote this post in September which means that the scam is alive and well.

athomerewardsplus.com
    privacyplus.ca
    savingsace.com
    thebigdeal.com
    valuemax123.com

Have a look at some of these domains and you will see they follow all the same basic format. A very simple site with some sort of vague offer or purpose that isn’t really explained unless you login. There are usually a few logos of trusted high street brands suggesting that the site has a legitimate business to business arrangement with that trusted brand. They are all linked to the same FRAUD! They steal money and I will make sure this criminal operation is shut down.

• Md
    mda Apr 28, 2009

Everyone who is scammed by this business needs to file a complaint with the FBI. It is interstate banking, thus falls under federal jurisdiction. They also gave my card number to a third party that we charging me. The link to file a complaint is:
    Don't be shy... this company is scamming untold thousands of people who are not looking closely at their accounts.
    Michael A.

• Pr
    Priscilla2383 Apr 28, 2009

I just ordered a phone number and about a week later i was subscribed to some identity theft thing for 19.95 per month. I did want to subscribe to this. Nor do I even remember being shown that i was subscribed to this. i did contact the company and cancel it out. However I do think this is a scam.

• Es
    Esther Burris Apr 02, 2009

Did you get your money back?

• Vi
    Vivian Bell Jan 29, 2009

Money has been taken from my bank account in the amount of $19.95 and I was charged $43.95 because of this. I am furious because I have to pay for money that was not in the account at the time. My money needs to be put back into my account because I did not give permission for it to be removed. This is not the right way to do business.

• Tr
    Tracy Jan 18, 2009

Intellius charged $19.95 to my credit card for a subscription that I do not want nor did I ask for it.

• Ka
    Kami Jan 16, 2009

They charged me $19.95 for some kind of Identity Protection, I don't have credit cards just my Visa debit I don't NEED or want this, I authorized one service for a flat $5.95 fee ONLY. I contacted them demanding my money back, that they are being reported to the BBB and Attorney General. I hope they go bankrupt!

Martha J. Lyons Dec 01, 2008

I just received my Capital One credit card statement for period Oct 25 to Nov 24, 2008. There is a charge on Nov 4 for "Intellius Subscription [protected] WA" of $19.95 which I did not request or order or agree to. Tell me how to get this off of my credit card, and whether I should close this credit card immediately?
    Martha Lyons

• Ga
    Gayle Gutekunst Nov 22, 2008

I posted several days ago that Intellius had been charging me for a "membership" which I did not purchase or agree to. I emailed their customer service with a demand for a refund. Fair's fair so I think it's necessary to post that Intellius responded in 2 business days that they were refunding the money and canceling the membership, which is exactly what I requested.

• Ka
    Kay Barton Nov 13, 2008

In June I contacted Intellius for a one time background check, they have been billing me an additional 19.95 per month. They indicated that I had signed up for a monthly subscription and have fraudulantly charged my credit card for 6 months. Can't get them to stop. My credit card company will no longer honor their billing charges.

lisa Oct 30, 2008

I too have been charged 19.95 per month for allowing a .99 search on Intellius so that my grandson might try to find his biological father's phone number. During that quick transaction (we never found the phone number) we made no agreement to sign up for "protection services" for $19.95 per month, but this has been charged on my credit card ever since. When I called the phone number that appeared on one of the credit card charges, I was put on hold for extensive periods until I nearly gave up. Finally, I got through to someone whose only response was that it was my responsibility to check my credit card for any fraudulent charges and to contact my bank. After a 20 minute discussion, the phone operator hung up on me. How can these people get away with this with no prosecution?

• Wi
    will Sep 21, 2008

They show details available and will be shown with payment. After payment (actually) additional $5 with no explanation - they gave the name and basic home infor which was the same for everyone on the list. I already had both names for the address. They then show that more info is available for $44 more. What a rip off - do not use this service.