Having problems with IKEA?

IKEA reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 1, 2006. The latest review Kooper microwave was posted on May 11, 2021. The latest complaint delivery was resolved on Jul 26, 2017. IKEA has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 282 reviews. IKEA has resolved 59 complaints.

IKEA Customer Service Contacts

8800 234 5566 (Russia)
800 4532 (UAE)
+31 900 235 4532 (Netherlands)
+1 888 888 4532 (United States)
+44 203 645 0015 (United Kingdom)
+61 280 206 641 (Australia)
+43 800 081 100 (Austria)
+32 27 191 922 (Belgium)
+45 70 150 909 (Denmark)
+353 15 413 300 (Ireland)
+351 800 203 020 (Portugal)
+41 848 801 100 (Switzerland)
+852 31 250 888 (Hong Kong)
+966 920 004 532 (Saudi Arabia)
+65 67 866 868 (Singapore)
+82 16 704 532 (South Korea)
+886 412 8869 (Taiwan)
+66 27 087 999 (Thailand)
Olof Palmestraat 1, 2616 LN

1065 Plains Road East, Burlington ON, L7T 4K1

The United Kingdom & Ireland
Kingston Park, Fletton, Peterborough, PE2 9ET

Italy
Strada Provinciale 208 n. 3, 20061 Carugate (MI)

Portugal

Singapore
60 Tampines North Dr 2, Singapore 528764

Thailand
38 Moo 6 Bangna Km. 8 Bangkaew Bangplee Samutprakarn 10540

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with IKEA Customer Service. Initial IKEA complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for IKEA above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about IKEA. Discuss the issues you have had with IKEA and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

IKEA Complaints & Reviews

IKEA Kitchen Cabinet — refund policy fraud

I bought a stand alone cabinet from ikea, like 95% of your their products required assembly. I bought it home...

East Palo Alto

IKEA — poor products and customer service

I have a4-part wardrobe with mirrored sliding doors that I purchased from IKEA several years ago. The closet...

IKEA — fraud and scam

I bought a bed from ikea, carson, california. When we get it home and start to assemble it we realize it i...

Ikea - North Yorkhorrible kitchen experience

The worst kitchen experience ever!!!

Ok, so. Bought a $3, 000 kitchen for my new office. Still waiting for it! I paid for it in may. I hired ikea's installation company to install it. They booked a date and didn't show up. No call, no apology. They rescheduled 3 weeks later. They installed half of the kitchen. Turns out ikea sent the wrong upper cabinets. Called ikea to ask them to send the proper cabinets. I was told it w0uld be fixed right away. Nothing happened. After countless calls, emails through their customer service site and much frustration, nothing happens. 4 months later they tell me the cabinets are discontinued and I could have a $100 gift certificate for my troubles (Whooopty - doo). I asked for them to be replaced by another type of cabinet. They assured me that would be taken care of immediately. Nothing happened. Another 2 months go by. I call to find out what is happening and nobody could give me a status.

Whatever you do. Do not purchase a kitchen from this store. Completely incompetent service staff. Horrible installation company.

Btw, they didn't even give me the lousy $100 gift certificate.

IKEA — commercials

today I watched a commercial about a woman putting a red dresser together with and elderly woman making...

IKEArubber ice trays

I'm sure you have seen those ikea ice trays that come in funny shapes and are made of a rubbery like substance. Perhaps you have purchased them, maybe for the kids, or maybe because you like the idea of your ice cubes coming in funny shapes and this appeals to you in some sort of aesthetic way.

Well, either way. the ikea ice cube trays really suck. It's so hard to break the ice out of the tray, because of the fact that they are in funny shapes, AND because the rubber that they are made out of is complete crap. The cubes are too small. Altogether I just wanted to voice my opinion that these ice cube trays needs to cease being sold. At best, I would hope that they stop using the rubber to make them as I think that is the major problem.

Enough said.

Sarah123 Aug 02, 2009

It's ice, it melts eventually, and god forbid if one piece of ice breaks into two. It's people like you with useless complaints that make me lose all faith in humanity.

Mady Nov 30, 2008

Wow. What a ridiculous complaint. They're $1.99. They 're trendy. They're cute. And they're not that hard to get out. Trust me - I have them too.

IKEAawful company and its products

I bought a chair. Got home with it, ready to put it together and guess what, the last piece in the... Severely damaged. Needless to say the whole frame is scratched. Now I have to drive again 50 miles to bring it back. And the stupid chair doesn't even fit back in the box. Stay away from ikea. How can they sell such crappy products in the us? I can't believe that I even bother to buy something from them. I have heard that their products suck from many people. I did not believe it. Now I do.

• Po
          pobarjenkins Jun 03, 2016

I don't think they're asking anything too unreasonable. This may sound odd too, but did you pay a lot for it? Furniture can be one of the few things where quality really depends on how much you spend.

• Pi
          Pissedinjersey Jun 03, 2016

Bought furniture from Ikea. Had it delivered to my son's apt, a six-floor walkup.

Five months later, the bed fell apart. Ikea won't cover it longer than 90 days from purchase; I must have a receipt; and it has to be brought in to be "looked" at.

So, I would have to disassemble it, carry it down the six flights of stairs I paid to have them bring it up, and drive it to another state.

They won't stand behind it, because its more than ninety days. Maybe they know it won't last too long.

• Be
          Bet1 Sep 03, 2009

I wanted to purchase a kitchen sink and cabinet for my basement from IKEA. I called IKEA Hicksville NY to see if the items were available and the rep. said there were 6 of each left. I get to the store at 11am and proceed to the kitchen area and the PLANNER very slowly checks downstairs to CONFIRM all the items are there. I make the the purchase at the kitchen planning area and slowly proceed downstairs to furniture pick up and also to pay for the sink drill bit(20 min on line). I get to the furniture pick up area and there are approximately 3 people complaining they have been there too long. 30 minutes later, the girl wheels up the sink top but no cabinet and is expecting me to take it. She said the cabinet was out of stock, if I want a refund go take a number next store @ customer service. 20 minutes later I get my money back and was offered coupons. While there, a man had the same issue but was waiting even longer than me to pick up and out of stock item. I went back to the kitchen planning area to speak to the planner and two planners were discussing(15 min.) where to put a cabinet while 3 customers awaited assistance. 1:20 I leave the store with the understanding of how someone can go postal!!!

Sarah123 Aug 02, 2009

"How can they sell such crappy products in the US?"

So your implying that they can sell crappy product in any other country but your precious one? Newsflash sweetheart, 99% of your country's product comes from cheap labour in China. And you need to realize that it is shipped across the country and sometimes damages happen!! Pull your head out of your ###.

Mady Nov 09, 2008

From the post it sounds like you just discovered the part was damaged and haven't driven to IKEA yet. DONT. Have you receipt in hand and call the store first and see if they can send you the part. Although youve probably already driven back and caused a scene at the store.

IKEArefund

I returned a sofa I bought from ikea. It has been over a week now and they have not refunded my money back. I visited their store several times, filled out the same form many times with my credit card info!!!, every time the associate goes back to talk to some one and then returns saying"it will be refunded tomorow" and "some one" will call you about this. Also "there was some complication, some one failed to log in and this and that..." when tomorrow comes, no one calls. I then call the store and they tell me I have to visit the store to get refund. This has been going for a week now. I am tired of this mental torture. Can any one please advise what can I do. Shall I go to the police fro help.

IKEAawful company

We purchased plates, cups, bowls and other assorted glassware from Ikea. The products were described as lilac hand blown glass. When we began to wash the plates and remove the stickers, we noticed that the clear spots were showing up on some of the plates. We were shocked to learn that the glassware is not really lilac, but instead it is made of clear glass and has some sort of plastic film covering. We checked the bowls and cups and found them all to be the same. Since the products are made in China we were a bit concerned that flakes of this plastic coating could get into our food and we have no idea what types of chemicals might be in the product. Not to mention, that after a few months, the dishes were going to blotchy messes of clear and lilac as the film continued to scratch or wear off. We called Ikea and told them we had traveled from a long distance to pick up the dishes, we told them that we were very unhappy that the plates were not advertised as

coated and we told them we wanted to be compensated. They expressed shock and said they had no idea that the glassware was not solid glass. We were told we would be refunded our money and compensated with coupons or store credit for our time and mileage. We returned to the store and our money was refunded, but they refused to give us any other type of compensation. They changed their story from what they had said on the phone and claimed they new the dishes were coated, but they were safe for use. We told them to post a sign so other consumers were aware, but they refused and told us they did not want to deal with our concerns. We want others to know that this film could flake and it could get into food products and beverages.

• Zo
              zoerouhi Aug 08, 2010

Today i bought two wardrobes from ikea wembley given to believe that they where the correct size height 229cms for the doors this was ok but i later checked that the frame was 236cms to tall paid for delivery that i tried to phone the company to council so i could return to ikea to rectify the mistake the following day the delivery company are called allways express sorry should be called never express delivery cause you can never get hold of them im actually wondering if they exist im so upset with ikea ive kitted out most of my flat with ikea products and still need to furnish my bedroom and living room ikes lose

charms May 19, 2009

In my experience, even if you DO get all the parts, the item will fall apart within a few years. Great store for decorative items, crappy for furniture - just pitty those poor people who bought their KITCHENS & appliances there!!

• Ka
              karis Apr 15, 2009

what is it with people that complain about nobody calling them back when they are never home and have no machine? this is the 20th century you know.

• Valerie Nov 11, 2008

So I took the advice of my friends and family to give Ikea a try (a lot of them are from California and they swear by the place) so I figured I would brave the big blue and yellow monstrosity with bravery in mind and an appetite for a good deal when I was in the market for a new desk. I'll let the uber-hip sheik interior pass without reprimand as the real problem was when I bought my desk and finally carted it back home, it was missing half the screws. So I carted the darned thing back to the store and the customer service simply shrugged their shoulders. Literally, it was nothing more than that. So I've written to corporate. This is truly unacceptable.

What am I going to do with a half allotment of wonky screws, a few pieces of polished wood and an Allen wrench? Good riddance. If you do shop there make sure you check that everything is in the package as promised.

• Valerie Oct 02, 2008

Ordered a bed a month ago, and still sleeping on the floor. My last e-mail to IKEA is below, and I'm on hold waiting for a supervisor right now.

"I ordered my furniture almost a month ago now, and after quite a bit of trouble with Purolator I finally got it at the start of September. However, when I went to put my Dalselv bed together, I noticed that some of the holes that were to be drilled in the frame were missing. I immediately called Ikea (on September 4th), spoke to a representative, and was told that someone would contact me in three to five days. My phone does not have voicemail and so an e-mail was sent to me on the 10th with contact times -- which were wrong. When I called on Friday September 12 at seven pm, as the e-mail said I could, customer service was closed. I called again last Monday, the 15th, and was put on hold for twenty minutes before speaking to a representative. She told me that I'd have to wait another thirty minutes before talking to someone else, and I wasn't able to do that because I was on my way to class. I asked if someone would be able to call on the Tuesday, and she said that wouldn't be a problem - but I didn't get a call until yesterday (September 20th) at noon, when I was in class. I bought an Ikea bed frame (among other things) a month ago, and am sleeping on a mattress on the floor. This problem could be rectified easily by sending a tech with a power drill to my apartment, and that's what I expect to happen as soon as possible. If it's not possible, I'd like to return my bed frame and the slats that go with it - I will buy another bed frame from someone else. Please have a supervisor call or e-mail me."

I called back on my own, October 1st, two weeks later. After missing Ikea's call once and then sending an e-mail, in which they PROMISED they'd call and never did.

DO NOT SHOP AT IKEA.

IKEAchest of drawers

i purchased a set of chest of drawers from ikea on sat 16th august 2008.i built them up on sunday night and as i was building them the wood started to split were the screws fitted in leaving the holes to big for the screws.once the drawers were fitted up i noticed that one of the drawers slants to one side and doesn't close properly.plus the chest of drawers isn't very stable now that there up.i am not very happy with the purchase as i paid £55 for them.i can not bring them back as they are built up, the reason why i managed them home is i got a taxi.i would either like a refund or someone to come and pick them up and give me a new set.
            i would like an answer to my complaint.

IKEAnon-delivery of goods

I purchased over $1, 600 worth of goods on july 27th and they debited my account on the 29th. Since then I have heard nothing, zip, zero, zilch. I have spoken with several different people who assure me that someone will get right back to me and then nothing again. I e-mailed them through "contact us" and 5 guesses as to what happened. Do not use this company. It's a rip-off!

IKEAno staff, useless

To whom this may concern,

My name is alex giesige. Today (01/08/08) my mother and sister went shopping at ikea, innaloo. What they told me shocked and disgusted me and;

I will be expecting a formal reply to this letter.

After shopping for a fold out couch (Parts of which were not in stock), a number of bookcases and various other wares my mother and sister were then expected to lift these huge heavy boxes into one of your trolleys without help.

My mother has a condition called fibromyalgia a serious muscle and nerve condition which means she is not meant to do heavy lifting.

Then after struggling with the loose mattresses, the trolley and other items, they were finally able to get to a register, pay for the items and then make their way to a lift and stairs with no help. My mother and young sister tried to figure out how the would get two heavy boxes, three mattresses and a number of other items down the stairs and down the elevator.
                A female employee passing by offered to help carry one of the mattresses down the stairs for my mother and sister. Once down the bottom my mother asked if it was possible to pull her car up and load all the items in from the door, the employee said that they had no choice they had to pull the car up as trolleys were not allowed out in the car park. She told them that someone would come to help them load the items into the car. Then she left.

My mother then had to leave my sister will all the purchased items at the door while she went and got the car. On returning another two separate female customers had come to the door also with their own purchases. With no staff to help them they had to wait as they couldn’t just leave they’re purchased items also un-attended.

My mother and my sister waited for about 10-15 mins for a staff member to come, as well as the two other customers. My mother became fed up with waiting and her and my sister loaded the mattresses and the large heavy boxes and the other items into the car by themselves.

Finally after a good half an hour or more a male staff member passed by. One of the female customers asked him for help. He replied that he was a trolley boy and was not meant to help customers. However out of the kindness of his heart, did offer to watch the female customer’s belongings while she went to get her car.

The other lady also waiting by this time was so fed up she asked the lady and the trolley boy to look after her purchases, an went in search of staff for help. She returned after making a scene and demanding help and finally three staff members appeared to help. However for my mother and sister and the other customer it was too little to late.

I am beyond appauled

I will in no uncertain terms be seeking advice from legal counsel.

My mother’s details are as follows:

X

I expect that a written apology be sent to her.

Alex r. Giesige

Mady Nov 09, 2008

Goodness - get over it. You mother is obviously not as helpless as she or you would like everyone to believe if she and you sister were able to load the merchandise. Yes, there should have been more assistance available but hey - that's life sometimes. GET OVER IT.

Ikea USA Fort Lauderdale — customer service

I received the worst customer service ever at Ikea in Fort Lauderdale. Several customers were trying to...

IKEAthey have no customer service

Ikea is the most ridiculous company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Their policy is simply not to compensate consumers regardless of their mistreatment. After many trips to pick up defective merchandise and waiting in line-ups for hours to pick up merchandise, I was insulted when the manager offered me a 10$gift card...can you imagine how insulting that is! I was even phoned to come and pick up merchandise only to arrive and find that there was nothing there for me. I have since spent hours on their phone lines trying to seek some kind of justice!

IKEA — terrible experience

First of all, I live 45 minutes away from the Ikea store in Frisco. I shopped there on Saturday with my...

IKEA USA — don't shop there

I purchased some lights at Ikea USA for about $50.00. I took care to save the receipt and the original...

IKEA — malm base and sulton fjordgard mattress - the worst

Do not make the same mistake that I made by purchasing this junk from IKEA (which I think is Swedish for...

IKEAbuyer, beware

My husband and I purchased several items from Ikea and one of them was a bed. We then paid to have it delivered to our home.

When we went to assemble to bed we discovered the mid beam had not been delivered and without this beam the bed was not usable. I called the store we made the purchase at and explained the situation hoping we could just come and pick up the missing part.

The customer service rep that I spoke to informed me that we would have to purchase the part again even though we had the receipt proving that we had paid for it already !! When I asked to speak to a manager I was informed there was no one available and if I wanted to leave my name and number I would be called back but it would be at least a 48 hour wait and the manager would only tell me what the customer service person had already said.

My husband drove down to the store (a forty minute drive) and even then he was still refused the part unless he paid for it again!

I work in retail myself and understand the importance of quality customer service and I can safely say my experience with Ikea is definitely the worst I have ever had !!

I will not be doing any further business with Ikea and I would like to warn everyone else out there, if you do choose to shop at Ikea BUYER BEWARE !!

• Ka
                        Kathleen Ortega Jul 25, 2008

I have a similar experience. I bought 2 beds from the Covina CA. An employee retrieved the beds from the self serve area for me as I only have use of one of my hands. He "forgot" the midbeams. I drove them to my home in Missouri. When I assembled the beds they are both worthless without that one part. I called customer service and was promptly made to feel stupid for not picking up those parts. Then I was told I had to buy the items and pay for handling but not shipping. The website clearly states this midbeam is included in the price of the beds.

Ikea has the the "we have your money so you can kiss our ###" attitude. The jerk customer service person asked me if she could do anything else for me. She wouldn't give me money to drive 40 mile round trip to the hardware store to buy something to hold the mattress off the floor. Then she told me to have a fantastic day. Felt like a hard slap in the face. Not a nice feeling after I spent over a grand in their store.

IKEAno response

I purchased a kitchen from ikea in 2005 I saved up and paid all my money on a new kitchen. In 2006 it started to fall apart the finishes came away from the wood.

I have tried calling and going to the store and not once did i get a response i now have a kitchen which is falling apart and need to save for a new one again and when i purchased it, it was suppose to have a ten year guarantee.

Ikea Credit Card — ikea credit card is a drama!

I am new to IKEA credit card my 1st payment was due 1/4/07 and I made payment over the phone 1/3/2007. Not...