Having problems with Home Depot?

1800 628 0525 (Canada)
1800 759 2070 (Pro Xtra Customer Service, Canada)
1800 747 3787 (Credit Card Accounts, Canada)
1800 004 6633 (Mexico)
+1 800 466 3337 (USA, Sales)
+1 800 430 3376 (USA, Customer Service)
+1 877 946 9843 (USA, Major Appliances)
+1 866 875 5488 (USA, Consumer Account)
2455 Paces Ferry Rd SE, #B #3
Atlanta, New Jersey
United States - 30339-1834

Complaints & Reviews

horrible carpet

We purchased premium Stainmaster carpet (near the very top of the price line) from Home Depot about six months ago, and it stains far worse in a matter of months than the carpet we removed which was fifteen years old. Things which normally did not stain our old carpet (like plain old dirt) stain the new carpet. Stain removal products which worked on our old carpet don't work on the new "Stainmaster" carpet. The carpet is essentially worthless, and we believe we have wasted $5, 000. They should call this carpet "StainEasy" for honesty in advertising!

Resolved bad return policy

On July 19, 2008 my husband and I purchased $190.26 worth of items at the Blairsville Home Depot. We also...

gift card

Last Father's Day my daughter purchased a $40 gift card for me at Home Depot. I lost it before I had a chance to use it. With my daughter's receipt of purchase in hand I explained to the local store that I lost the card. They refused to replace it saying that there was no way they could trace whether or not the card had been used. I wrote to the store manager and the company CEO explaining my loss including a copy of my daughter's receipt, but neither of them has responded to my registered letter. Beware of purchasing a gift card from Home Depot: Do not lose it or you will be out!

• Ho
    Homer D. Poe Sep 20, 2008

If you read the back of your gift card or store credit it clearly states that the Home Depot is not responsible if your card is loss or stolen. It also can not be redeemed for cash. When you buy a gift card it is up to you to be responsible for it.

• Ca
    Cassie Dec 17, 2008

it's not just home depot that has this policy. it clearly states that you are responsible for your gift card. home depot has no way to track it.

custom bathroom sink - debacle

I ordered a master bathroom vanity set which included a double-bowl granite countertop on 11/11/2005. My...

customer service

I was in line for 45 min! When I got to the checkout the lady told me that I wrote the wrong #'s down for a code on the wire I cut. The problem is I didn't cut it and I didn't write the code down. Another employee from the store did. I had to go back and find the correct code and stand in line again! Terrible service! ...Then again when i got to the checkout they forgot to put the wire in the bag. When I got home I was furrious! I called and nobody knew nothing. I went down and talked to the manager where he pretty much gave me a new wire and that was it. I feel like he didn't do anything special to make me want to shop there again. What a joke! I just sent them a letter using www.complaintsmailed.com that should arrive on their steps soon. I hope they listen to the letter! The last one i sent to the airlines worked well.

• Ss
    sspnugen Jun 24, 2009

Customer Service, I went in to a Home Depot Store on my lunch break to look for a refrigerator, there was 2 employees talking and telling stories, not once did they ask if they could help me, Home Depot mails lots of special discount coupons out but they give no customer service when you get to the store, no problem Lowes sold me what I needed

• HomeDepot_Care Jul 01, 2009

My name is Michael from The Home Depot customer care department; I am new to this site and just read your post about the lack of customer service that you received. We have recently made several changes to our customer service and I am so sorry that we fell short in your instance. I have contacted the store and have made them aware of what had happened. If I can be of any help to you, please feel free to contact me directly. Again, we are sorry we let you down.

Michael
    Customer Care
    The Home Depot
    Atlanta, GA
    [email protected]

• Fr
    Francinealexis Jan 09, 2010

My husband and I just purchased a new home. We spent over $14, 000. at home depot. I wrote a check for our carpet installation. Because of a mishap with my bank, they sent the check back, but it was reissued and cleared. One month later, my accout was charged by a company "TRS Recovery" who presented a check to my account with drawing $25.00! What! I am out raged!!! Who are these people! They said that they represented Home Depot. What? Are You that petty? Home Depot got every penny plus thousands from us! For now on your compititors will get our business. That is bad business Home Depot.
    Out Rage Former Customer,
    Francine Gadson
    [email protected]

• Jk
    jkresta Apr 04, 2010

Today I visited the Home Depot in Corona Store #6665. I had over $300.00 worth of Inground Sprinkler merchandise in my cart. I went back to gardening and was interested in some pavers for my backyard project -- I need about 1800 units and about 50 units of another type of paver -- value over $500.00 I tried talking to the person who claimed to be the store Manager Joseph Mcaqs -- I tried several different ways to explain to him that I wanted to look into ordering the pavers from their store. He was extremely arrogant and basically really didn't care what I wanted. He told me what the process was and how many people I needed to talk to and was not interested in assisting me. He made it very clear if I wanted them I had to come into the store between 8 AM and 5 PM to go to the job desk -- I tried several times to explain to this arrogant idiot that like the average person I worked at a real job from 8 - 5 and was not able to come in -- he made it clear that if I wanted them I would have to come in when it was convenient for the store not me. So I walked out -- told him I no longer wanted the merchandise in the cart and vowed never to return to Home Depot -- trying to do business with Home Depot is a nightmare. Over $1000.000 worth of business walked out of that store that day. I guess HD really doesn’t care about its potential customers – they are too busy running them off.

sandra kenner Jun 24, 2011

see commens above

sandra kenner Jun 24, 2011

I have tried unsucessfully I might add to send an email to express GOOD service I received from one of your sales persons. On June 14, 2011, I was in the Home Depot in Oxon Hill, MD and I needed assistance in finding a 65W Flourex Replacement Bulb. One of your sales clerks named Jermanie is the one who assisted me in trying to locate the bulb. I was truly impressed with his professionalism and determined attitude to me find what I was looking for. Unfortunately, Home Depot does not carry the particular bulb I was looking for. Nevertheless, Jermanie continued to find out if he could locate the bulb at another store. He got on the Internet and found a list of other stores that carried the bulb I was looking for. He was polite and did not hesitate to go that extra mile in rendering good customer service.
    To be honest with you, I rarely shop at Home Depot because of the terrible customer service I have received in the past. But my husband who is visually impaired suggested I try Home Depot to see if they sold the bulb. I really did not want to go there, but we really need the bulb. Jermanie has given me a little more faith in Home Depot and because of the manner in wish he serviced me, I might begin to do a little more shopping at Home Depot. Hopefully other members of your company who deal with the public will following the same path as Jermanie and go that extra step to ensure customers are pleased with the services they give them. Hopefully this email will be forwarded to the appropriate office because this is not at complaint, but a compliment.

Sandra Kenner

• Re
    Reviewer60613 Sep 02, 2015

To: Ceo (Mr Menear), Board of Directors, Ann-Marie Campbell amd Mr Butler, manager of Zachary Home Depot.

September 2, 2015

Dear Mr. Menear,

I frequent the Zachary, Louisiana, Home Depot, or at least I used to. The customer service here has never been good, but it has really gone down hill. It has reached the point of non-existance.

Yesterday, mid afternoon, I was second in line at the returns counter to check out. The two cashiers were chatting with the woman in line in front of me, whom they knew, and I stood in line waiting a very long time while one of the women left from behind the counter to go check something for the woman. When your cashier returned, they all discussed the issue, whatever it was, further, laughed and chatted some more.

Another employee, an older white man, who greets customers, was watching this. He could see that I was being ignored so he directed me to the customer service counter to check out, so I walked over there. There were two women behind the counter. I was the only customer in line to check out. The two women were at the other end of the counter, talking with a young man who was seated on the opposite side of the counter. Both women saw me, they glanced my way, but neither woman acknowledged me. I waited for several minutes, as I watched them laugh and carry on with the young man. I finally spoke up and asked if one of them would check me out. They glanced at me, but did not acknowledge me, and they continued to laugh and carry on with the young man. The older, white man stood by helplessly watching their intentional lack of customer service.

I am able to whistle extremely loud, and exasperated that I was unable to check out and in order to be certain of their attention, I whistled very loudly and loudly asked them to check me out. They looked at each other and both continued to ignore me. I was dumbfounded. I told them that they could keep the merchandise and I walked out.

Sir, I will pay more money at any of your competitors for better service. I will never set foot in Home Depot again and I am discouraging as many people as possible to boycott the Zachary location. Others here are as fed up with the years of poor customer service here, and others are willing to go elsewhere as well. Many have told me that they avoid Home Depot and will drive thirty minutes to buy what they need rather than set foot in Home Depot, as will I.

I am a registered nurse, who serves the public, and prior to becoming a nurse I was in retail customer service. I have spent my entire life being customer service oriented. I am perplexed by your customer service model. Whatever training you have in place for your managers and employees in Zachary, Louisiana is pathetic. My plan is to blog about my experience and to use the web to rate Home Depot on as many sites as possible.

Your former customer,

Resolved carpet measurement

Went to Home Depot to purchase installed carpet. I had measured 36 Sq yds. Person sent to measure came up...

horrible service

I have recently been shopping around for tile and bath tubs. I have gone into Home Depot more than once and I must say, I am VERY happy that I have not bought anything from them. First of all, even if I did want to buy anything from them I couldn't because no one would help me. Apparently my money is not good enough! Also in the past my husband had to yell "Can anyone help me" at the top of his lungs to get someone to stop and ask him if he needed any help. Yesterday we were in Home Depot looking at bath tubs, and after looking for some one who worked there for 10 minutes found a nice young man. He was very informative but not in bath tubs. He let us know that he had no clue about warrenties, installation ect. In fact he told us he didn't really care because hockey season is starting soon and he was much more interested in that. The one lady that he found for us that did know something about the bath tub we were interested in left us to find out some information and never came back. As we were leaving the store we saw her chatting with other customers. I know we are a young couple (24 years old) but we know how to save money for things we want and that day we had money to spend that we have saved. I am glad to know that Home Depot will NEVER get a cent out of my pockets.

Mark keyworth Aug 24, 2008

colonsmartcleasner
    Posted: 2008-08-24 by Mark Keyworth [send email]
    froud

Complaint Rating:
    I to was a dumy. i was on a survey, took the trial offer and got scamed. there were no phone numbers on the offer but i thought there would be with the trial shippment.NOT, only a web sight. when i went to bring it up, all that would come up was a picture of the bottle of colonsmartcleasner, when i clicked on the bottle it would take me to another sight. i tried several times the same thing kept happening. So there i found a phone number so i called it. they kept saying they had nothing to do with colonsmartcleasner.needless to say i was very angry.then i thought well when it comes in i would just put on it return to sender and wait for a refund. well it never happend... my bank said they couldnt do anything for thirty days from the day i sent it back. so i waited filled the dispute and waited four days for the results.. well then i get the results from my bank... NOT HAPPY my bank sends me some copys off the internet from colonsmart stating there is only one way you can receive a refund.you have to follow four steps. one of thoughs steps are they do not except Return to sender packages as a way for refund. what they dont say is that package i sent back is theirs now and you get nothing for $88.98.now it said nothing about ANY policys when i ordered the free samples.and when i got the free samples it had nothing of any policys either. so im out the money and the FAKE product(COLONSMARTCLEASNER). OH DID I MENTION YHE PRODUCT DID NOTHING... I TOOK THE SUPPOSEDLY FREE SAMPLES AND HAD NO REACTION !!! if there is anyone out there that can help me get my money back.i would be very happy... [email protected] TO EVERYONE------ STAY AWAY FROM COLONSMARTCLEASNER !!! THERE A RIPOFF !!!

1 minutes ago by Mark Keyworth [send email]
    i forgot to mention the paperwork my bank got off the internet was dated july 10th 2008 REVISED. this was 2 mth. after i sent mine back. when i got my (FREE) sample.i couldnt get on their web site to cancel nor did they have a phone number... COLONSMARTCLEASNER IS A RIPOFF...

Resolved bad business practice

First, the Sales Guy in Major Appliances was excellent and handled this to the best of his ability, as with two managers within the store.

Order placed on Boxing Day 2007, first thing in the morning. Delivery date set for Thursday January 3rd, 2008. Delivery company calls on Friday Dec 29th to confirm delivery for 2-6PM on Thursday, January 3rd.

Day is taken off, 6PM shows up and nobody is there. Calls to store, Leon (sales guy) and a manager get on the horn with the delivery company. The delivery company says "All items on the truck are out for delivery, call back if it isn't here by 10PM). Ok, HD is closed at 10PM. Nice. Call back at 9:30pm, say "Where is everything" - same manager says she will leave a note for Leon to deal with this at 8AM on Friday January 4th.

Another day taken off. Lucky I have a bit of spare vacation this year.

Leon says the delivery company said they came by the house at 11AM on January 3rd and nobody was home. First: Total horse pucks, as we were home and nobody, absolutely NOBODY came by the house that morning (aside from the Postman). Second: Call display logs indicate that nobody called that day from the delivery company. Ok, so they don't have to call - but you think that is they were showing up three hours earlier than expected than they might do a COURTESY call and say "Hey, we're going to be in the area, can we stop by early?".

Leon gets this escalated through no less than 20 phone calls to / from the delivery company. We end up calling the delivery company directly after Leon, and they say they don't know where it is or how to get in touch with the drivers of the truck it is on (yeah, right - this is the day AFTER it is to be delivered).

I tell them that this is is total baloney, this is day #2 that I've had to take off, they've clearly lied or at best, misrepresented their situation to us, and that this was to be fixed today and to get a special truck out this afternoon. End of discussion.

Well guess what shows up? A truck, small, with my appliances. Mind you this is four hours later, around 3PM in the afternoon. Driver wants to drop them off in the driveway and leave them there for the two movers to come put them in. Yeah right. Got on the phone with the manager at HD and the delivery company and told them to keep the guy there, which they did.

Anyways, once they showed up, all was good. But thats a wasted full day of vacation that they CONFIRMED they were showing up on (and never did, despite their "we showed up early" claims), and one more FULL day again with a special delivery that they said they couldn't do.

Long story short: Not REALLY Home Depot's DIRECT problem, and granted, they seemed to be putting pressure on the company from their end, but Home Depot's major problem is they just don't really take OWNERSHIP of the problem, we should not have had to call the delivery company once, but we did. Basically, once they get the money, they are pretty much "oh well, it's their problem".

They need to start firing their contrators/agencies/suppliers... seriously. This is the LAST time I would ever buy anything from them that required delivery.

(On that note, I am returning my extended warranties under the 90 day no questions asked return policy, seriously, if this is how delivery is, how is their extended support going to be?)

Resolved bad service

My wife and I purchased a refrigerator in a home depot store, it was delivered on Thursday (May 1, 2008). On Wednesday (April 30, 2008) we ordered online a washer and dryer.

Well when the refrigerator was delivered the guys didn't level the refrigerator, therefore, when they tried to push it into the opening (a tight fit, but a fit none the less) it wouldn't fit. So after 15 minutes of removing molding and trying to get the fridge in there my wife told to leave. When I arrived home, it took me 30 seconds to figure out the problem was the fridge was not leveled so it was leaning about a 3/4 of inch from bottom to top and thus i had to level it to get it to fit.

So then on thursday evening we got a call about the delivery of our washer and dryer that were purchased online. They said they would deliver on Friday (May 2, 2008) from 8 to 12:00 PM. Well we explained this time would not work, but the lady said well that's what time we had and if we weren't home then they would call us to re-schedule. excuse me? You tell me when you're gonna deliver? There was no option online for instore pick up or delivery option of morning or afternoon. Simply you are told what time by the delivery company. So I called at lest 6 different phone numbers and talk to about 11 or 12 people in home depot only to find out from everyone one of them, that there is nothing they can do about it. They all said sorry, but there is nothing else that can be done. So in other words buy your stuff through us but good luck actually getting it! So my lesson learned no more buying anything through Home Depot. I'm done giving them my business after spending more than $5, 000 with them!

Resolved all their interested in is the sale not their product reputation

A little less two years ago we purchased a set of GE Adora stackable Washer and Dryer about Six months after purchase the washer started acting up when it would drain and spin it would just run away with itsself and sounded like a jet plane coming thru the house and it would not spin the water out of a small load clothes items were still dripping wet when cycle was done A tech came out and told my wife this was normal and that these washers were not designed to do small loads needless to say two months out of warranty the pump and Mother Board went out after about eight weeks in the shop we finally agreed to pay for labor and service charge and GE supplied the parts to fix the washer since it was on record we had service out to look at it twice while it was still under warranty and they kept telling us nothing was wrong with it Well three months after being fixed it started acting up again with the same symptoms as the first time called a tech out and he said he couldn't find anything wrong well needless to say three more months The washer has quit again same as first time I've tried to get them to replace it since its obviously has a problem that just replacing parts is not going to fix GE wants us to pay labor again and they supply parts I'm not throwing more money in this machine with its traCk record So we are out a 800 dollar machine after less than 2 years and we have to find another that will accept the dryer on top and it won't be a GE I think a Whirlpool will work but I advise anyone to avoid GE appliance because all their interested in is the sale not their product reputation.

rebate rip off

We purchased a storm door at Home Depot in Fairfax VA a few weeks ago. We had been looking at screen/storm...

washer never delivered

I ordered a washer on line with Home Depot on 5/24/08. Its a Maytag Bravos Energy Star 4.6 cubic Ft washer.
I charged it on the home depot card. Since it was sales tax free week-end and the washer was on also sale, it was a good deal. Regular price $949 on sale for $854.10. + $59 delivery + no tax.
I chose the delivery date during the order which was to be on 5/30/08.
The day before delivery depot called and rescheduled delivery for two weeks later.
Two weeks later depot called that morning to give me the delivery time, thats when they said they were delivering a refrigerator---(I purchased a washer)
Customer Service then told me that it would be another three weeks because the washer was out of stock. She began telling me that I should check our local Home Depot. I told her that I ordered on line, I preferred not going to a store. She called the store herself then called me back leaving a voice message saying that the store only had one floor model which is beat-up, but I can keep checking back with them. And thats it!!!
Today is July 23, 2008 and I still do not have my new washer. My husband has also tried to get the washer but all we have gotten is the run around and yesterday we just recieved a refund of the charge for the refrigerator that we did not order and did not authorize charge for.

water heater installation surprise charges

I needed a new water heater to replace the one that went bad. While this is a job that I can do myself, in...

Resolved you can do it and we can screw it up

On June 24, 2008 I special ordered two types of tile which were recommended as a set from Home Depot. The...

stay away

On May 30, 2008 I went to Home Depot for carpet installation estimate. I was told that I have to pay $35 for measurement, I thought that was fair so I paid the $35. It took a week for the estimator to come and measure the house and a few more days to get the measurement to Home Depot. They did not have the carpet in stock, I was told that it will be there in a week, so I went ahead and paid for the carpet, padding, installation, etc. Although I paid for the measurement, they won't give me a copy of the layout. Three weeks later, they finally got the carpet but nobody called me, I had to come to the store to check. I was promised that someone will call me in a couple of days. The installer called me 4 days later, telling me that he can't install the carpet for another 18 days (July 28, 2008)! I started the process 2 months ago and I don't have my carpet yet, and who knows what else comes up during the installation, if it ever gets installed! I tried to cancel, but I was told I will have to pay a 15% re-stocking charge. This is ridiculous - I won't wish this on anyone and won't recommend Home Depot Carpet Installation.

• Mo
    Mom in CT Nov 06, 2008

I cannot believe it! This is my experience almost exactly. They show up to install the carpet and new padding, but didn't know that they were supposed to take up the old carpet and padding and cart it away! This was of course, discussed with the initial order. When we call about it, the manager is clueless. We told him that we both called about the old carpeting being glued down. He says there is not note of it and we have to be charged a additional $380. "So what, " I say. "What is $380 when we're paying $2, 000 for the carpet anyway?" What idiots! We also wanted to install wood flooring in the kitchen, which has vinyl flooring. They couldn't even tell what kind of wood we had in the rest of the house in order to match it. When I called wood flooring store and found out that the manager of the Homedepot had him put in her flooring! Homedepot wasn't good enough for her! We had bought a box of ceramic tile that had the wrong color sticker. Our installer didn't notice because the color was so subtle. I did though. Homedepot took no responsibility for their error. They railroaded us for days, and we finally just gave up and covered that section of bathroom tile with a cabinet. What a sham!!! Buyer beware!!!

Resolved home depot failed to do what they said

Tax Refund Problem on June 23, 2008 Receipt # [protected] & #[protected] On the morning of June 23, 2008 I...

Resolved unauthorized charge

On March 10, 2008, I ordered a new 16KW Home Standby Generator from the Palm Bay, Florida Home Depot Store...

terrible experience

We bought a large remote controlled Hampton Bay ceiling fan four years ago, and we have not been able to get...

failing organization

Home Depot was a well run organization when it first hit the scene. It has now become another large company...

bogus gift card

Three weeks ago, I purchased a new Maytag washing machine from Home Depot. At that time, there was a Maytag-sponsored promotion (funded by Home Depot) in which rebates in the form of Home Depot gift cards would be sent to buyers who made qualifying purchases of select models. The amounts were from $25 up to $250, depending on model.
I made the purchase (the gift card, by the way, was not one of the factors, by the way), submitted the rebate request online, and received the $25 Home Depot gift card a few days ago.

Today, I went to Home Depot to get a few items and attempted to pay for the purchase with the gift card. The total amount of the purchase was $21. The gift card was rejected.

According to the cashier, there was no available balance on it. Even a call to the store manager couldn't get the thing to work -- despite the fact that the sticker covering the PIN had been removed BY THE CASHIER, so they KNOW I hadn't used it before this. The cashier said I needed to contact the issuer of the card (which is ridiculous because it's issued by HOME DEPOT).

I tried to call the customer service number listed on the letter that had carried the card, but all it is is a "status" number -- there is no support for complaints or inquiries.

• Pr
    Proofer5 Feb 19, 2014

This does not surprise me. Had this happen with $100 gift card I gave friend as wedding present. Luckily I had receipt & spent hours resolving at the store when he tried to use it & it showed 0 balance. Very embarrassing. Husband just left local Home Depot less than an hour ago & tried to use $25 gift card our son gave us several years ago that we have never used. Shows 0 balance so they rejected. We've never used card. I always cut up card after use or place receipt with card if I have used it partially and have any remaining balance. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HOME DEPOT GIFT CARD & will ask all my children to avoid purchasing same in the future. Total rip offs. You can go to their site & check balance, but if they never loaded the correct amount to the card to begin with, when initially activated, zero will always remain zero...bunch of ###s.