Having problems with Home Depot?

1800 628 0525 (Canada)
1800 759 2070 (Pro Xtra Customer Service, Canada)
1800 747 3787 (Credit Card Accounts, Canada)
1800 004 6633 (Mexico)
+1 800 466 3337 (USA, Sales)
+1 800 430 3376 (USA, Customer Service)
+1 877 946 9843 (USA, Major Appliances)
+1 866 875 5488 (USA, Consumer Account)
2455 Paces Ferry Rd SE, #B #3
Atlanta, New Jersey
United States - 30339-1834

Complaints & Reviews

custom paint colors

The manager of the paint section at the Merrifield Home Depot in Vienna (VA) indicated on 2/1/2009 that he...

poor pay practices

THD At-Home Services is a horrible place to work for. I subcontracted for the Kent Wa branch every job I went to for the 1st 4 months the customers complained of poor customer service. Or they were outright hostle with me due to their poor customer service.
This company wanted me to work for free but charge the customers an arm and leg.
My biggest issue with them is waiting 6 months to get paid for a job that was completed. They paid the wrong contractor I had to prove the other contractor didnt do the job. Then they still did not pay I had to wait another month.
They do not pay for extra work they want us the contractor to do for free. Example they had a fair cost for me to hang wood trim outside $35. That was fair for the labor but the materials usually cost $35. So they paid the labor but not materials.
They charge the customer a less than 3 window charge but that doesnt always go to the contractor. I had a job that was 3 windows. I get to the job 1 window was mis-measured by one of the THD's many unqualified project managers. I put in the 2 that did fit the one that didnt was not my error. I could not get paid a less than 3 charge of $50 because the job wasnt sold that way.
There are alot of cost to the cusomer that does not get paid to us. They charge $40 a window to dispose of the old windows. You can throw them out yourself and save it but we get paid the same either way.
They charge a 2nd story charge for windows above groung floor. We dont see extra.
Dont buy with these guys find you a good dependable local contractor because you will get a better deal than Depot.
And Depot will hire anyone with a lic. & Insurance. Doesnt matter if they are qualified they will send them to your door step.

• Em
    emphanidzo Aug 20, 2009

You are a bumbling idiot, and need to get your facts straight. They do not charge to dispose, they do not charge to do second story and so on. Sounds like you were looking for the pot of gold in the Depot and ended up with a bucket of reality.

• Ke
    Kelly Randall May 05, 2011

Having sold windows for THD in the past (left 2 months ago), I can agree with some of these comments, but not most). THD is set up to make the company a profit first. There are areas that the company needs to improve upon. The installers should be paid more for additional work. However, THD absolutely does not charge a "second story" fee. Nor do they charge for haul-away (many companies do). I don't know what the market was in your area, but I have nothing but great things to say about the installers here (Delaware/Maryland Eastern Shore). They are professional and dependable. I have always been proud of the jobs I've sold. They've done a terrific job with installation - as have the project managers. I haven't worked with anyone I considered even marginally unqualified. It sounds as though you weren't clear about your arrangement before starting with THD. BTW, the installers here are paid the same week that the job is complete. Good luck to you.

• Tb
    T-Bone Steak Aug 22, 2011

Home Depot at home services is going down the toilet quick! Management treats employees like trash and then sticks it in your ### for good measure.
    They are good at brain washing you to believe that Home Depot is the only way. Do yourself a favor and escape the HELL that is Home Depot and you will be free at last. Wake up people! You are being told to put in 50-60 hours a week with NO base salary. Get a real job, get paid for your time and be respected. I did! =)

• Aw
    awwwwww Sep 23, 2011

For the most part, All of the complaints I hear here are do to Cheap People buying the cheapest product and then complaining that it is not the best. For what it is worth Premium Quality windows do not cost 450.00. I had windows installed in my rent home and used the American Craftsman PREMIUM window. It is a good window for the money. I also had it installed by Home Depot's Installation services. I paid around 800 a window. This included everything. Permits, fixing a couple pieces of wood and installing the window and had a great experience. I really wanted to have them install the other line of windows but they were more. If it would have been my home I would have installed the Simonton windows. The old saying is you got what you paid for.

won't honor service plan

I bought a microwave from Home Depot with an extended service plan, but they will not honor it. I have the receipt and contract number, I'm trying to have my microwave replaced, but they told me the plan that they sold me is not for the microwave and is wrong.The plan is misguiding, it says complete replacement for one year ($100 to $149.99 value) for $14.99. I paid !49.00 for it But on the other hand they put the microwave in the same category as Major appliances and the fee is higher.I bought the plan because they proposed it to me and I bought it in good faith.
I'm not getting anywhere with them, the store manager tried to give me my money back with a credit, they won't cut me a check. Something is fishy. I have tried to call Home depot about the plan but get nowhere, they keep me calling in circles.
Who should I file a complaint with, The BBB?

• Pu
    purvislets Mar 02, 2009

As far as offering you a store credit, that is unfortunately the only thing that they can do. The computers will not authorize a refund other than store credit for any purchase over 90 days old (or 30 days in some situations).

It's obvious that whoever sold you the ESP didn't know what they were doing. If I were you, I'd take the store credit refund and use it to purchase a new microwave with the correct service plan. You'll even end up with a little money on the store credit left over since the cost for the correct service plan will be less than what you paid originally.

Basically, you'd be getting the same deal you would have had if the ESP was inputted correctly: a replacement microwave.

Chris Mar 12, 2009

The problem was Home depot only wanted to refund me the cost of the extended plan, that's what this complaint is all about.
    I have since contacted Georgia BBB and the HD headquarter did contact me and directly resolved the problem by giving me a gift certificate for the amount of the microwave replacement. I still resent having to make phone calls after phones calls that led me in circles with no one willing to help or bother to help.
    Last summer I had to use the same strategy to get a $200 refund on the purchase of a $4000 shed, installed and all. It was promised by the store but HD tried its best no to honor it by denying me with the phone calls to nowhere. By the way on both occasions the proper phone numbers to call are clearly marked on the contracts. But they choose to honor my request with changing reasons. Contacting the BBB was the best thing to do with them.
    This is not the way it should be, I will shop to other stores in the future as much as possible. That's the way they want it, obviously.
    thanks for the support.
    Case closed.

payments

I have been making payments since I had the card and it never comes down from 700.00 dollars my interest is to high. I want to pay on the principles only so the intrest could come down. I need you to stop charging me too much interest so that I can pay off my account. I want to know how much I really owe with out the interest? I need some aswers so here is my cell #[protected] my name is susana reyna.

• Ru
    Russ Jan 24, 2009

I hate to say this, but didn't you read the interest rate on the card? You should have read the interest rate on the application. You have to make more the minimum payments to pay off any credit card. Minimum Payments barely pay the interest on any credit card. I would suggest that you pay more then the minimum payment to get your principal down faster.

• Pu
    purvislets Mar 02, 2009

I agree with above. If you are only making the minimum payments, you will never pay off your balance. The APR on Home Depot cards is over 20% and usually the minimum required payment is only around $10-20 depending on your balance.

If you want to pay it off and pay less interest, then you need to either make bigger payments or transfer the balance to a credit card with a lower interest rate.

will not honor extended warrenty

we purchased over 5000.00 in new appliances at home depot including our GE stackable wash-dryer in may of 2007. on dec 27th 2008 my washer door locked shut. i called the extended warrenty dept(we bought the 4 yr.plan on all appliances) and they told me that they could see we purchased the washer but did not see the 4yr serv plan listed. i told them it was on my reciept but now its been over 30 days and still no service also i have been spending 50 to 75 a week on laundry mat...WOW... talk about frustration. ive just about decided to turn them into the BBB and also i have the name of the CEO of home depot. that i am going to call on monday and explain whats been going on. if anyone has any suggestions on what to do please send email. thanks for letting me vent...

joesou Mar 29, 2009

hello
    I work for washer repair service. Home Depot has their warranty for washer and dryer you buy from store. You need to find out name of warranty group and phone number to call for service. GE does not sell you warranty, don't get confuse about this. Place you bought washer sells warranty not from GE.

You bought third party warranty, its big mess and Home Depot does not explain to customer about warranty they sell.

• Jk
    JKAYBROWN Oct 28, 2009

TAKE YOUR RECEIPT TO THE STORE. THEY WILL CALL AND GET IT STRAIGHT FOR YOU. SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME WITH LOWES. YOU HAVE THE RECEIPT SHOWING YOU PAID IT... THEY CANNOT DENY THAT.

worst service ever

Well I just placed this order, however after reading many of the negative comments many of which seem to be in regards to problems with installation measurements etc. It's very important to note that many people in such trades have differant practices when doing measurements, such as carpet etc.
One of these reasons is associated with problems that may arise with which way the carpet may be instlled, some also order extra to be on the safe side.
And lastly many carpet mills have a minum carpet roll size which guarantees that price per square yard, any carpet rolls that must be put on a special order size requires added costs.

As an example sometimes ordering a larger roll is cheaper than ordering a special cut roll size.
Other's have complained about the condition in which their bed had arrived by the shipper, it is important to note that the shipping company is always responsible for the condition the carton is in when the item arrives upon delivery, and from that point it is the responsibility of the buyer to refuse and make a claim for damages with the shipper, (I have had to do this myself).
Once a customer refuses the product for the reason of damaged packaging the shipper will fill out a refusal slip and put the reason for the refusal on the form, (if the item is refused and not excepted no rma is required)in addition any other information may be added such as the specific damage of the carton, this protects you as the consumer, also it is important to note that retailer's never open packages they receive from the manufacturer's unless it is mean't to be a demo, therefor they have no idea of how the contents are packaged and it is unfair to blame any retailer for the lack of reasonable content protection in the packaging area.

One other poster stated it took over 10 days to receive their order, however notice that they ordered the product on 12/15/2006 that was 10 days prior to the Chistmas holiday, this is the busiest shipping and retail weeks of the year.

Do people not have any idea as to how many packages get misrouted, lost damaged during the holiday season? that person is one of the few that complain about everything, and probably have a long history of getting free meals at resturants, because the waitress didn't fill their drink ften enough.

eople need to stop being so selfish and start thinking for the better of us not me, or them.
Nothing is ever perfect, go buy a brand new car look at any of them on the car lot long enough and you will find imperfections, live with it.
Sure we should all struggle to make the best of things, and should not be taken advantage of, but we also should hold ourselves with the same manner of duty to humanity as we expect from anyone else, including a fictional entity we call corporations.

poor quality

Water/moisture got into the computer board which was replaced before I washed the first load.
A yellow grease-like substance started to form on the inside gasket where door closes .additionally
the letters that tell me which cycle to choose wiped off when machine was cleaned according to
their maintenance manuel.The service person advised "IT IS NOT GREASE, although it looks like grease,
this machine has no working parts that require grease".
He then said there had been some issues with this gasket and agreed to replace it along with the
upper panel (lettering Issue). The parts were sent to my residence absent the gasket. The service
person came, the lettered part was replaced. He told me to call when the gasket arrived. After 20
days had passed I called Cus Svc and was told someone would get back to me. It hasn't happened, it's
now the 48th day. I now have a washer that sounds like a bucket of bolts being shaked when it goes
into spin cycle. Could it be that the non-grease-grease has leaked out totally causing this noise. I'm
at wits end. I feel as though GE doesn't care about their customers being happy, after all they won't
go belly up because they have lost one customer.
This washer/dryer set was purchased August 10th 2007. Two people live in this household.

holiday accents led lights

We bought 8 strands of indoor/outdoor 200 count c7 white led's after christmas in 2007. We looked forward all...

return policy

I purchased a Arrow brand Shed in June, and one thing led to another and didn't end up setting it up. So my husband (a former employee of Home Depot) went to the store to return the shed only to be told that because it was more than 90 days we are not entitled to the refund. The purchase was made on our Home Depot card and all we wanted was it to be credited back to the card.

Well after talking to thier store manager Roger, who refused to give us the credit, because he states "It is corporate policy and nothing can be done". He wanted to give us an in-store credit for $349.99 (the current retail for the shed), which forces us to spend money in his store rather than a credit on our account. Anyways he refused helping us so I turned to the Corporate Customer service line. After 3 days of calling back and forth and not getting anywhere I reached a man named Joe who took care of the whole thing and later told me that returns are completely up the the management of the store.

So on a short note. I will not be returning to the Sherwood Home Depot store to shop and hope that others will consider the same due to thier lack of customer service.

bait and switch fraud

Bait and switch at Home Depot. I couldn't believe it. Big sale on product signed outside. Go in and...

returns nightmare

I purchased an item online that was named incorrectly on the website. I returned it immediately and requested credit for shipping as well, as the item was named and described wrong on the website.

Not only were none of my requests acted on, but it is impossible to plead your case directly to the returns department, as they do not take calls or emails. I was promised twice they would call me, they never did.

On my most recent call I was told that none of my requests were passed on to the returns department, neither for the full credit, nor for the return call I was promised twice.

To add insult to injury I was told that the partial credit was made by issuing me a gift card!

I would by no means use the gift card, as I would not purchase from their online department again!

Incompetence added to an unworkable policy and structure.

Return an item and get a gift card instead of a refund! Outrageous.

• Lb
    LB5 Sep 09, 2009

Purchased a front loading LG washing machine. Salesperson never mentioned the fact that I would have to leave door standing open and chemicals regularly in order to avoid a musty mildew odor from accumulating in my laundry room. I didn't notice the problem right away, but after about a month it was driving me crazy. I called to ask about it and was finally told about the open door and chemicals. Problem is that I am severely allergic to most chemiocals and cannot even use chlorine bleach. I couldn't leave the washer door standing open because it is situated right next to the door into my garage and would be ripped off when someone entered the house. I kept getting the run around - sent back and forth between LG and HD. Finally got hold of local store manager and he assured me that if I called one more number, they would arrange for me to return the washer in exchange for a top loader. I DID call one more number SEVERAL times - leaving a detailed message each time. My calls were never returned. I gave them a couple of weeks to respond before I called the manager back. He seemed utterly surprised that I hadn't already returned the washer because he thought his people had taken care of everything. Almost four months after my initial complaint, they picked up the washer.
    The post script to my story is that the original washer had been automatically placed on their "no interest - no payment for 6 months" program. They picked up washer just before the 6 month expiration date, but I am just now learning that they credited the price of washer onto my regular revolving account and I am now paying all the accrued interest on an appliance that I don't even own! When I once again called, I was informed that it is written in my origianl FINE PRINT contract that they may credit any return monies as they see fit? But, they also said that I could have requested that the credit be applied to the 6 months no pay plan except nobody bothered to tell me that at the time. Naturally, now it is too late. Buyer beware! I usually read EVRYTHING before I sign a contract. But, let's be honest. They send those itty bitty pages in the hopes that we DON'T actually read them. I am so discouraged by businesses who practice immoral, albeit legal, tactics in the name of the almighty dollar. Karma is a wonderful thing ...

lied and refused price match

I spoke with someone and was told you did not price match on line, so I went to your local store when I was told they did price match but the item I wanted was on line only. This was a lie since I saw it in lexington s. C. Now you are telling me the only items I can buy online are your specials of the day, seems to me I was told anything just to get me off the puter, item 1191819 was forsale at big lots for 30.00, caparing them to your price of 100.00, since my husband and I shop your store for all our do it yourself projects I never expected to be treated in the run around till your worn out game, im terribly disapointed in your handling of this matter and will not be doing any holiday shopping at your stores this christmas.
Sincerely ms. Kim g. Young

• Sp
    SPSean Oct 01, 2009

We were told today that Home Depot in Bloomindale Illinois does not price match Sears and ABT advertised prices for large appliances...

I realized that they might not match online retailers, but Sears and ABT are two of the largest appliance retailers in Chicago.

There really should be a legal action..

Steve

• Tx
    TXbuyer Aug 04, 2011

Nobody at Home Depot (online or Stores) will price match and beat by 10% like it's stated on website. DONT EVEN TRY. Everytime to try to dismiss there explaination they come up with another. From Customer Service (any price match is soley up to store manager. No store has to price match.)

My Question: Why have that in writing on website then. Poor business. Lowes here I come. Hope I dont get treated like this there.

fraud and scam

This is a copy of the e-mail I sent to the Home Depot customer service center. I did get a reply back stateing they would have someone from the store call me, they never did. I remailed them and told them so, they said it would go to corporate now and some one would call me, still no call. I e-mailed them again, no response as of yet. I did try the customer service line since there is no address or phone number for corporate listed anywhere, but I was on hold for 1/2 an hour before hanging up.

I purchased a 10'x10' Princeton shed on 7/22/04. At no time did the salesperson nor the manager who was also assisting me inform me of any additional items that would be needed to complete the construction of the shed. I was informed that the partially assembled shed came in 2 large boxes/crates and would not fit in my small Ford pickup, so I would need it delivered or rent their truck. When the shed was delivered I found that it was 1 package the size of a sheet of plywood about 8? high (It would have fit on my truck).

After spreading half of the unassembled shed across my lawn and started to build it, I learned from the instruction manual that the flooring and roofing materials were not included. I have no problem putting the shed together, that's why I bought a kit and not a prebuilt shed. I do have a problem not being informed by the salesperson and manager that I needed to purchase additional materials. If I had known this at the time of purchase, I would have looked at a prebuilt shed. After paying $700 for the shed, I do not feel it was necessary or right to have to pay $50 for delivery (which I did not need) and another $200+ for flooring and roofing materials (which I should have been told were not included).

This was an extremely inconvenient situation that required additional trips back to the store, interruptions in my construction time, and more money than I wanted to spend. This problem would have been avoided if the salesperson/manager had been more informative. Something needs to be done so that future customers do not have the same situation happen to them.

I am very frustrated with this situation and hope that you can help alleviate this situation. In what way is Home Depot willing to reimburse me for this problem? I buy a lot from your store; feel it to be better than Lowe's, but I have never had the same situation happen to me at Lowe's.

Please feel free to contact me at any time at work 717-***-*** and/or my home at 717-***-*** if you would like to discuss the matter further. I have not gone back to the Home Depot since and the store is less than a mile from my house.

• Di
    Divine Aug 01, 2009

Email their president Frank Blake. His meail address is [email protected] Be prepared to get a backlash from employees though if you go their often and they know it is you who filed the complaint.

The employees act like gods. They failed to realize that it is the customers paying their salaries

terrible everything

We ordered kitchen cabinets from Home Depot in May, 2007. When cabinets were installed, there were poor quality issues, bad measurements, wrong size cabinets ordered. 2 cabinets & a couple of doors had to be replaced. The cabinet sides were particle board, covered with a plastic woodgrain that peeled off when painters tape was removed. After an installation that took 7 months to complete, we are stuck with poor-quality cabinets that had a top quality price. Home Depot-Atlanta has given a partial refund, but refuses to discuss the matter anymore. We feel that we paid more than double the value of these cabinets because of the Thomasville name.

Obviously, we don't recommend Home Depot to anyone!

custom ordered door - delivered too short

I ordered a 82 1/4 inch custom-order door from Home Depot. Supplier -Emco. The door that was delivered measured 81 inches yielding a 1 inch gap at the bottom of the door, rendering the door virtually useless. Response from Assistant Manager: "Thats the way all these doors are delivered from the manufacturer - anywhere from 1 -1 3/4 inch smaller than the Rough Opening size". After a frustrating debate with this individual he said "there are no returns or refunds on custom orders due to company policy- sorry about the gap at the bottom of the door - perhaps you should shim out the door frame at the top by 1 inch then it should fit." I say this is totally unacceptable. What is the purpose of a customer order? A 1/4 inch gap at bottom of the door could be acceptable and compensated by adjusting by the door sweep. If had wanted an 81 inch door, I would have ordered one. Home Depot's arrogance really miffed me. This situation is just not right and their response is not acceptable. "You can do it - and we can help?" Right! Next step, escalation to Store Manager and then to District Manager, President of Home Depot Canada, then small claims court. My patience with this company has now run out. There are other building suppliers out there and they will get my business in the future.

compressor noise

Stan, Wilmington, NC. We purchased a Maytag French Door bottom freezer Stainless Steel model MFD2561KES unit...

doesn't honor extended warranty on faulty water heater

In January of '06 we purchased a GE water heater with installation and lifetime labor extended warranty from Home Depot. 2 1/2 year later, this past Monday night, the tank developed a leak and flooded our basement. For the past 3 days I have been on the phone and in person with the store, Executive customer relations, GE and the Warranty department, and they have still failed to replace our water heater under the warranty. I don't think I have EVER come across a more incompetent bunch of ###s in my life. I have been given nothing but the runaround and excuses. The latest was the store manager, David Moriarty, who told me yesterday, when he said that the installer was coming, he got it confused with another customer by mistake. UNBELIEVABLY. We haven't been able to take a shower, or wash dishes or clothes for over 3 days now, with little end in sight. NEVER buy a major appliance from these incompetent thieves. And DEFINATELY do NOT but an extended warranty. It's as worthless as they are.

Christian Sagna Feb 06, 2009

Dear Home Depot Customer,

On behalf of The Home Depot I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced in regard to your purchase of a Water Heater and Extended Service Plan with our company

Please know that it is The Home Depot’s goal to satisfy all of our customers with our products and services. We look forward to assisting you and your family with all of your future home improvement needs. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Phone: (770) 433-8211 or 800-654-0688 x84861
    Fax: (770) 384-5038

• Be
    Ben Holloway Sep 20, 2018

@Christian Sagna Don't just apologize correct the problem.

• Ab
    A Blewitt Aug 20, 2010

I am having a similar problem with getting my hot water heater replaced. I purchased the 12 year
    GE Heater in 2005 with extended life-time warranty for parts and labor by Home Depot. It was leaking, and Home Depot sent out a technician that said the heater was defective and needed to be replaced. He spent an hour of his time explaining the problem to Warranty dept.. I have continued to talk with various people concerning this and am amazed at the incompetent service I received. I have been without a water heater for 3 days and expect guests tomorrow. I have spent hours desling with this and will just go ahead and invest my own $1000 to get a replacement. My attorney husband will handle the Consumer Fraud complaint and other legal action.

• Be
    Ben Holloway Sep 19, 2018

My hot water heater failed on Monday September 17, 2018. I purchased my hot water heater from Home Depot in December of 2010. I also purchased a lifetime warranty for the Water Heater that included the labor to remove and reinstall the unit. Immediately after seeing the product had failed and seeing water all over the floor of my garage, I went to Home Depot and presented all receipts pertinent to the purchase of hot water heater and warranty.
    I presented the receipts to the customer service representative, and was told I had to contact the warranty department.
    I did as she requested, spoke to an Assurant representative and was told they had no record of my purchases. I then emailed all the receipts to [email protected] The next day I received an email stating they had received what they needed but it would take 3 business days to get back to me as to what service provider would examine and replace my water heater. I have also spoken with representatives from Assurant and Home Depot.

Delisa from Assurant has told me she would do her best to have my water heater replaced in a timely manner, but she that it could take up to 2 weeks. Being frustrated with that response I immediately contacted the corporate office of Home Depot and spoke to a customer relations representative. I asked why their response to warranty work was so inadequate and slow. I also advised the representative that I could go to Home Depot today and purchase and new Hot water heater and have it installed today. I then asked her to contact the Assurant the warranty servicer and ask if I could go today purchase and new water heater and then have Home Depot bill Assurant for the New water heater and its installation.
    Today is Wednesday and I'm still waiting for a response. My family has been without hot water for three days.

Getting Home Depot to responsibly honor their lifetime warranty has been a Nightmare. Home Depot's treatment of this customer and honoring its warranty has been a horrible experience. Its been three days now and Home Depot hasn't done anything to honor its warranty, save apologize for how long its taking. Its obvious that Home Depot is doing a miserable job of keeping its word. If you're considering making a purchase from Home Depot and purchasing an extended warranty, think twice. The experience I am having is not the exception. It has become far to common for Home Depot.

door purchase & installation

In February of 2008, purchased 2 new exterior doors, 2 new storm doors and four new interior doors. Scheduled installation for March (all doors were to be in). Installation was to be done by H.D. sub-contractors (one to do the exterior doors and a different one to do the interior doors). I took a vacation day to be there for this work. Note: H.D. uses one installation contractor in this area who subs his work out to other sub contractors! The installers arrived to do the 4 exterior doors. They set-up to do the front exterior door, only to find out that the door was the wrong handed door. The front custom storm door was not in. They went to install the custom interior kitchen door only to find it had hairline cracks in it and now had to be reordered. They left the kitchen storm door and materials in my garage. H.D. went and found another door from one of the other stores and had it delivered to Waltham. Scheduled another vacation day for the install. Recieved a phone call from the installer late that morning only to tell me the door came in incorrect. This time the box was marked correct on the outside but was the opposite handed door in the box. Now they had to find another one and I would now have to take more time off! A different installer came back this time and only had time to do the front exterior and storm door install. He left the new kitchen door replacement in my garage and would have to ccome back another day to do it's install. That weekend I checked out the "new" custom kitchen door, only to find out they brought back the same door which was rejected! Would now have to wait almost another month to get this door reordered and installed. Another vacation day lost, installer came back took off the old kitchen door and tried to install the new one. Only to find out that the door hinges were manufactured incorrectly (door cut wrong). Temporarily installed door and ordered another door. Keep in mind, that the kitchen storm door has been in the garage all this time. The new door arrived and was to be installed by the manufacturer's rep and not the sub contractor. Did this on a Saturday (lucky me I didn't have to take another vacation day, right). He took off the temporary door installation, only to find out that the sub-contractor did a "make shift" job on building out the side studs. Went and picked up 2x4's and had the new door installed properly by the manufacturer's rep. NOTE: This door was measured by the sub-contractor and said it needed to be custom made. According to the manufacturer's rep, an off the shelf door would have fit (which would have saved me money & time). Now I have to call the sub contractor back to come out and install the kitchen storm door, which was not the responsibilty of the manufacture's rep who only was representing the extrior door company (another day off). The owner's son came out to do the work. Installed the door and determined this door was warped. Had to now reorder the custom storm door. Door came in and was installed by a different sub-contractor (another day off from work). Now keep in mind, this entire project which was to be completed in one possibly two days by two sub-contractros, did not get completed until September 2008 (took approximately 7 months form the original order). Lets talk about the interior door replacements: These were custom sized doors (measured by the sub-contractor) and were to replace existing slab doors. These doors were measured to fit over a wall-to-wall carpet (not installed). The doors were installed on the very first day they were scheduled and seemed to be just fine. The carpet came in and was installed. Only then did I find out that only two of the four doors were cut properly. Being very frustrated and not wanting to take more time off from work, I planed one door by myself and got that to work. Tried to plane the second door only to find out the bottom plug of the door was almost completely gone (cut-off during initial installation). These doors were to be custom made and there should have had at least 1" of plug in the bottom of the doors. Also during all of this time, two of the interior doors were hitting the srike plates and would not close. My front exterior door was hitting the strike plate and had dropped to the strike plate side. My exterior front storm door had dropped and could not be locked. Had to schedule another day off for both the exterior sub-contractor and the interior sub-contractor to come back to fix the problems. For the most part, they were resolved (front exterior door still swings in by itself and the storm door is not plum/level but locks). I paid for all of the materials up front and had a balance of appx $2000 for the labor/installation. During this whole process, I dealt with the same expediter at H.D. and he was always very understanding and apologetic. Said he had never had an order for work go so wrong. From the get go, I told him we would need to address all of my lost wages (vacation time) if & when this work was completed. He agreed! I met with him and discussed what I thought would be a fair reimbursement for my time ($1400.00 could have been more). My daily salary is $280.00). He said he would discuss it with his manager. Approximately 45 days later [protected]) a service manager called and left a message that they were going to give me a 10% discount!!! They want $1743.00 for the install. I called and talked with the service manager who was told to talk to me by the store manager. I told him it was unacceptable and that I needed to discuss this with the manager (who was not in). I will be calling him onthe 25th. FINALLY, NEVER WOULD I USE A HOME DEPOT INSTALLATION SERVICE OF ANY KIND! ALSO, IF THIS ISN'T RESOLVED TO "MY SATISFACTION", I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT IN A HOME DEPOT AGAIN (THERE IS A COMPETITOR!).

• Bi
    BIgBear23 Oct 01, 2010

I would like to know the name of the main contractor that subs out the work.

• Bi
    BIgBear23 Oct 01, 2010

I really want to know the name of the main contractor, not the subs.

bad customer service

I went to the home depot in joliet, il just off of rt 30 and i-55 today (Wanted to check out different fireplaces). Anyway, I am walkinga round and looking at other things on the way to the fireplace and pass up two home depot employees talking about a putz (Customer) that one of them had helped earlier that day. Then when I tried to pay for some light bulbs the person at the cash register stopped ringing me up (She scanned the item, took my money, and started helping another employee standing next to her with a problem with her cash register) when it would have taken all of three seconds to get my change and then go to help the other employee.

poor carpet installation and no recourse

We had a large living room carpeted by home depot. We purchased the carpet through them and had them install it. The carpet was extremely poorly installed. There are ripples going all the way across the floor as well as little mounds against all of the walls. Obviously the installers did not know what they were doing — the carpet was not properly stretched. I even had a contractor come in and tell me he has never seen such a poor installation job. I contacted home depot regarding this issue and they ignored my complaint. I contacted them a second time and they simply sent a letter — complete with typos — telling me that my complaint was 'rejected'. I would never have anything installed by home depot again — we are stcuk with this awful carpet that guests trip over and many comment on. Of course, we are always happy to tell them just who installed our carpet just in case they are looking for the worst carpet installation service in the country,

• Da
    darthrez Jun 13, 2009

I had a deck done by home depot as well and have never been more disgusted in my life! We're actually contacting the media and a lawyer as I have the ### installation they passed as complete. This has cost me a promotion at work as well as costing us the loss of 2 kids for my wifes daycare due to not having a proper fire escape.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices