Having problems with Home Depot?

1800 628 0525 (Canada)
1800 759 2070 (Pro Xtra Customer Service, Canada)
1800 747 3787 (Credit Card Accounts, Canada)
1800 004 6633 (Mexico)
+1 800 466 3337 (USA, Sales)
+1 800 430 3376 (USA, Customer Service)
+1 877 946 9843 (USA, Major Appliances)
+1 866 875 5488 (USA, Consumer Account)
2455 Paces Ferry Rd SE, #B #3
Atlanta, New Jersey
United States - 30339-1834

Complaints & Reviews

bad floor installation

(Product Name: Brazilian Cherry wood flooring (SKU 372-250)and installation) Defects in wood floor purchased...

Carpet sales/install

Went to Home Depot to have carpet/tile installed in my home. First of all, I could not get service in the...

non-delivery!

My husband bought me a new oven that I'd been sorely needing. Delivery was set for the following Saturday. Friday night we got a confirmation call for delivery between 10:30 and 2:30 'tomorrow'. Saturday morning the phone rang. Someone asked if it would be ok to reschedule our delivery to another day. I said no, my husband had taken days off of work to remove the old double oven and stove top and prepare the area for the new appliance. The woman tried to negotiate a new date/delivery time to which I said no. She said she'd call me back and hung up. 2:30 came and went so we called the number given to us for delivery questions. It was then that we found out that our delivery had been rescheduled to *next* Saturday. We went to the store where the stove was purchased and spoke to a salesman in that department. He said that several other people were upset, too. (That makes it all better - why?) A truck had broken down and the subcontracted delivery company was having problems. The salesman said it's not Home Depot's fault, it's the delivery company's fault - Home Depot can't do anything. So we asked for the manager. The manager said the same thing. It's not within Home Depot's control to make sure of delivery, but they sure happily took our money! When we asked that they call the delivery company and have them find a way to get our stove to us, the salesman and manager walked away and huddled before making a phone call. Ten minutes later the salesman found us and told us there would be no deliveries over the weekend. He told us to call the store manager on Monday. Meanwhile, we have no oven or stove and are living with a torn up kitchen in total disarray.

they've repackaged/resold a drill kit without a drill

Home Depot regularly reseals used and returned merchandise without inspecting the contents of the packaging. Then they sell it again as if it were new.

I just got scammed by Home Depot when I bought a repackaged SKil cordless drill kit drill kit that was missing the drill. When I brought it back with the receipt, they laughed at me and said they wouldn't do anything about it.

There were at least 10 other people in line complaining about the same scams. There is no chance I will ever walk into another Home Depot. If you don't have another shopping choice like Lowes your area, Be Sure to Open and Check All your packages in the store before you leave.

Repackaging used merchandise and selling it as new with missing or broken components is a regular practice at all Home Depots.

• Te
    Texan Jul 23, 2008

I was told by store employees that illegal aliens were purchasing items, keeping what they want and returning the rest. Weeks later I myself saw a guy trying to return elect. wiring, using 20% and returing the rest for full refund. Employee caught him. The guy after him was trying to return the old part that he had replaced with the new one on the receipt.
    She said that they are doing it all of the time. She said packages like your's with lots of components are prime. Then the next honest guy comes along and buys it and gets short changed like you did. Depot knows very well that this is going on.
    I watched a guy stealing parts out of a light fixture. I told but no one cared. The next guy who buys that light fixture will have missing parts.
    Employee at the store said that the illegals are comming in groups and opening a box with 5 or 6 different power tools and each one of them walks out of the store with a tool and the box is found later in the store empty. She said that even if they see them leaving with the power tool, they are not allowed to stop them because they might get sued. ---Thats what she said!!

two lights stopped working

I purchased the hamponbaysolar lights2years ago' they worked fine until a couple weeks ago.4 of the lighs work fine. I took the batteries out of the ones that didn't work anput the batteries into the good lights and they worked.I thought mabe the bulbs went bad, so I went out to home depot to see if they had replacement parts and they said the only thing they carry are the batteries. But the batteries are good.I was wondering if I could get the lile board with the light on. please reply. The other 4 are good and I really would like all6 working, because they really light up my walkway

(386038)model number
Sara cline

• Fu
    fustrated one Oct 25, 2009

this is the worst product you could ever purchas, I have already took them back to home depo three times. please don't purchase this product, Hampton bay solar lights.

truck rental

I rented a truck to take junk to the bulky waste center in town and told the Home Depot employee the purpose...

harassment!

My parents have a Home Depot Credit Card and are late on a payment. The representatives call the house everyday before 9am which is illegal not to mention harassment.

• Jm
    j.m. Aug 20, 2008

Its not illegal. They can start calling at 8 a.m.

• Mi
    michelle Oct 14, 2008

The solution is to have an unlisted or cell # and never give it out to creditors, instead front end the number with ring central, if they are abusive you block them by number. Callers who dont provide caller ID can be forced to voicemail only and the can be forced to identify thier number in order to leave a voicemail. You can control the time of day people call the number Plus you can set things up to ring your number when they call you, its all rules based. Very flexible. You can even login to your account so that they phone is called, then yours and they only see your ring central called id info. So you private phone number never gets on thier list.

• Pi
    Pissed Off at Home Depot Apr 06, 2010

Home Depot Credit Card Sucks! We had a credit on our account... Which vanished. They are theives! I will only shop at Lowes now. I hope Home Depot goes out of business. Google "Home Depot Complaints" There are a ton of them! Buyer beware

substandard cabinets

I am writing this post in attempts of resolving an ongoing and seemingly endless issue and hopefully spare...

delivery issues!

I am a builder in NYC and I am finishing up on an 8 family building. A few months back, a gentleman from Home Depot commercial sales approached me and made the world of promises, well I should have been skeptical, because I was the one to pay the price. Home Depot has basically cost me 40% more than what I would have paid the regular competition. I will NEVER do business with them again. It is their lack of responsibility and coordination with the deliveries.

I have lost a tremendous amount of time and salary to pay employees to sit in front of the job site to unload a ghost delivery truck, because it never shows up. It is always a situation where everyone pins the responsibility on each other, and I personally get fed up after it gets so redundant.

In my professional diagnosis, I would say that Home Depot has demonstrated that they are not a company to be trusted, they have a tremendous neglect for customer needs, and therefore, us builders, as consumers, we should not do business with them.

Nelson Nigel.

• De
    Delicious0608 Jun 30, 2015

I purchased a refrigerator on Friday June 26, 2015 at the Bronx terminal market and I was given a delivery date of June 30, 2015 because the item was on back order. I was unable to get a time frame from the associate at the store for the delivery but was told that I would get it on that date and that I would receive a call the day before for the delivery time frame. Sure enough I did get that automated call saying it wil be delivered on June 30th between the hours of 10:30am and 2:30pm. I made arrangements for that day from work to be home for delivery. On June 30 I am waiting and waiting for the delivery, at 4:00pm I decide to give them a call at 201-758-8081 when a nasty customer service female representative picks up and tells me that the delivery was received late the day before and I should have gotten a phone to let me know. Well the automated machine tells you not to call that they will contact you!! Do you think they called? No. Then she says they are going to schedule a delivery for the following Tuesday. What? If I am buying a refrigerator is because mine is not working! Can't wait until next Tuesday. She puts me on hold and left me speaking by myself. Horrible customer service I will not recommend homedepot or buy anything else from them on the phone with the store of purchase and was put on hold after giving the customer service rep my order number. So far I have been on hold for 35min.

home depot accuses me of theft

This is a story of how the failure to listen costs a business its customer's trust. I custom-ordered a...

mail fraud

blatantly falsified documents to avoid paying unemployment compensation..then mailed the falsified documents via USPS constituting mail fraud......real nice people skills huh...

shotty, sloppy work performed!

I have had cabinets installed by home depot, pull out of existing cabinets started november 13th. Cabinet install on november 15th finishing the next day. The following day, we began to put our kitchen back together when we noticed a puddle of water on floor under dishwasher and all along wall of new cabinets. I made several phone calls to home depot, this happened on a saturday, the leak under dishwasher was not fixed until sunday, and they claimed as well as the plumbers that it was my fault. Note that my cabinets and plumbing and appliances all were in good condition just old. I was finally told that my problem was sent to their insurance company in atlanta, ga, which is called i believe chedwick. I was given a claim number and a phone number. That following monday, i called all day and left several messages, that tuesday, i called and left several messages, nothing. So i finally got a supervisor who told me that the person i was trying to reach was infact in his office, and she was not concerned by his lack of response.

I proceed to talk to this man in charge of my claim, who really does not care, does not ask questions and tells me it is the holidays and basically nothing can be done till after thanksgiving ( thanksgiving was still three days away).

So i ask this man again what do i need to do to get an adjuster out to my house to check damages, he asked why did i want an adjuster. I am furious by this time and once again tell him how my cabinets and floor are in a damp surface, he suggested i get a fan.

So i asked if this was something that needed to be handled in a court of law? He asked what it was i wanted and replied that he had 10 days to do his paper work. How can you do paper work without first, talking to me (i had to contact him) second, how can you do paper work and file a claim without an insurance adjuster telling you the damages? I am very disappointed in both home depot and the way they handled their business. To top all of this after my install they never even sent the cabinet inspector out after job was finished, if he would have come by he would and still can see and feel all the dampness under floor, which i assume is also under the new cabinets. Beware of home depot, they do shotty work, are not conserned with customer happiness, they only want your money, they will go out of their way but once they get you to sign , you are basically on your own. Another thing, when my cabinets finally were delivered to my house they sat in my garage for almost two weeks. The installers they hired to put in my cabinets did not even live in my city, they showed up at my house ever day at 11am and worked till 5:30.

I tried once again to contact home depot and resolve this matter by calling the main headquarters. I proceeded to talk to someone, i told them if i could not get help that i would go to military law but i would like to avoid that, at that point in the conversation, they said they would no longer talk to me. I asked why they said if that is the route you are taking we no longer have business with you, i said no i have not gone to anyone yet but i will if i do not get a response today, the lady replied that she could no longer help me.

What has this country come to? I do not understand why things so simple become such major issues for many. I simply wanted new cabinets to improve the value of my home, i had shotty, sloppy work performed that our hard earned money was just flushed away, and i can not even get an adjuster out through home depot. Hey they have my money and that is all that counts.

• Fr
    Franklin Aug 23, 2008

Home Depot put vinyl siding and windows on our 2 story home, 2800 sq ft. 5 yrs later the window sills were rotted out and all around the patio doors and down the walls on both sides of the doors and windows. The upstairs windows leaked through the walls to the down stairs. The top floor warped with water over time. It rains on the inside of the windows now. It has been over a year since they were notified, they had an adjuster come out 10 months ago. Since then many people were sent out from home depot to look at the damages which get worse with every rain. Each person with home depot, installation manager, district manager, project manager all said you have extensive damages. Manager said they cut the vinyl siding wrong and didn't put the windows in far enough. Plus they put the wrong vinyl siding on for this area. (not approved per windstorm inspector) I told them I believe I have mold between the walls. The manager said he thought I should have it tested... which I did...and yes we have mold, the worst case and kind. Then I had a mold Remediator come give an estimate...over 200, 000 dollars in damages "plus". HD said they would redo the outside...replace all rotted wood and redo siding and windows. I haven't seen them. Now they want to send in a consulting group ..structural engineer. What now????? Trying to cover their a.. or get the consultant to help them out of a jam.

solar lights

bought 4 four solar lights at home depot berlin maryland all the stated solar panel was 9/25 x 12/45 only 2 were that size 2 were much smaller thanks carl r seal 101 channel buoy rd ocean city maryland 21842 model 555 208

• Sh
    sharon rose Mar 18, 2008

We purchased the solar outdoor lighting pack of 6 per box. the 3 boxes we bought only one light would not light up upon initial use. after attempting to double check all the possible solutions nothing seems to work, after reading the various e mails of the lack of company response to their telephone numbers and e mail causes us great concern. What is the chances that something will get done with our purchase of solar lighting.???

• Fu
    fustrated one Oct 25, 2009

you are so right why don't the better buisness bural check thes people.

unfair installation charges

I recently purchased a natural gas water heater from Home Depot. The telephone operator that processes phone orders told me the installation charge would be $200. He also said there was the "possibility of more charges to meet code". When I asked what code, he said "building code for your county". OK--so I may have to pay an extra $50 or so. When the plumber arrived, of course he found a myriad of 'code violations' requiring new parts and service. I asked him what 'code' was he referring to and who established these charges? He said the charges are "determined by Home Depot" and the code is "the State of Georgia". OK, so what does this mean? Who knows? I was then told that I had to purchase an inspection permit for $50 so that a building code inspector could come out and validate the job. Do inspectors really visit all the homes that install a hot water heater? "Yes, sir, they do".

The final upcharge was $450. I complained and the plumbing company said "Home Depot doesn't charge tax, so I will discount it $70." Doesn't charge tax? It's ridiculous that consumers have to pay $650 to install a $300 hot water Also, the plumber had all of the upcharges printed on one page---to clarify: the plumber just checked off all of the upcharges from a printed list. He knew (and Home Depot knows) exactly what the extra charges are going to be in advance. Home Depot needs to be upfront and honest about these charges when consumers call in for a job that takes no more than 1-2 hours of work because of some "code".

• Fl
    Florence Such Jan 20, 2008

The prices are outrageous and the charges for these codes even moreso, this is supposed to be built extra correctly and that is why the higher price so why so many codes... I think it is a rip off and there should be a way for persons to put in heat cheaper than that.

With prices so high on food and other things like housing etc. we better use a little insight and make a product that is both safe and less expensive. Also, we should conduc our business wiht a little
    ethics so that people can be treated fairly when purhcaseing something as simple as a water heater.
    Mrs. Florence Such
    Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. 90275

• Vi
    Vince Jun 16, 2008

I happen to be a plumbing contractor in San Diego. Maybe all you cheap people should live in an apartment. You seem to think skilled craftsman should work for peanuts. The company they work for and themselves should make as much or more than lazy customers who have no idea what a blue collar job entails. Also when J. Harris says a water heater install takes 1 or 2 hours, does he or she know what it takes to dispatch, stock trucks, organize, train techs, comply with local codes, etc.? People lets think before we ### about nothing. I would have charged much more so my techs and myself could have a lifestyle we deserve.

it is a piece of crap

I bought a washer just like the gentleman prior to me in I believe February, 2006. Shortly after that about...

check cashing problem

I recently was turned down for my check that was written for $239. It really was not Home Depot, but rather the check certification company they use. Certigy turned down my check even though they was no legitimate reason. This was very embarrassing, as there was a line of people behind me. I happened to have my debit card on me, which went right through. I have never had this problem except at Home Depot, and never at their competitor Lowes.

• Bi
    Bill Stocker May 04, 2008

I had the same issue on May 3, 2008 at Home Depot. They declined my check based on "I didn't meet the computer model for risk." I guess that if you don't meet their criteria, they don't want your money.
    I figure since my money isn't good at Home Depot, I will spend it at Menards.

• Ka
    kathyb5 Jan 06, 2010

Had the same problem. Called the 800 number they gave me and was told that I needed to be verified...which was stupid as I had written probably hundreds of checks to Home depot before and never had a problem.

poor quality product!

On Aug.2, 2007, we bought a Cadet Cub riding mower from Home Depot for $2138.92. It broke after 2 days of use, on the 4th. I called the local manager of the store who rudely told me when it's sold it's no longer their responsibility, call the factory. I placed three calls to the District Mgr. in Tampa, Omar Lopez [protected]),who had happened to be in H.D. the day I bought the mower and had sold it to me in person. He did not return any of my calls. I then called Customer Service on August 7 where a supervisor, "Ebony," told me once a mower is sold it is no longer H.D.'s responsibility and they would not accept its return. She would not give me Lopez' email or a phone number where a real person would answer. On August 8 I emailed the Cub Cadet customer service department. A very helpful woman, Katrina C., [protected])authorized repairs at Tropical Lawnmower [protected]). On August 14, Tropical picked up the mower, returning it on August 21. After 2 hours use, it broke again. They picked it up for the second time on August 22, returning it on August 25. After two hours of use it broke for the third time. I put it in dispute with Discover on August 27 and am waiting for their decision. I am concerned that since we are now in the height of hurricane season, a storm will damage this mower and they will insist that I pay for it.

My advice: buy nails and WD40 at H.D. if you must, but otherwise, go to Lowe's or your local hardware store.

unpleasant experience

This is a letter recently that I wrote to Home Depot:

To Whom It May Concern:

This afternoon I tried to return a new Husky Powerwasher 1800 psi to your Gloucester, Virginia store. It was purchased on June 16, 2007, with Check Number 5675, along with other items that totaled $326.88. The serial number on the power washer is ____, Item Number 18005. Included with the total purchase on the 16th was a floor model upright freezer, SKU 453-946.

On June 17, 2007, I purchased an LG Refrigerator for $2,199 (special pricing), along with the ice line, delivery, etc., for a total of $2,374.45.

The following is a description of some of the mishaps that have occurred during my interactions with Home Depot.

First, my husband and I brought the freezer home on the 17th using our own trailer. We brought it into our garage, moved the food in the old freezer into the new, and put the old freezer on the trailer to take to the local land fill on the following Monday a.m. The new freezer started running; by the way, it also had been running when we bought it at the store.

About midnight, when I took our dog outside, I happened to open the freezer and realized that the food inside was thawing. Upon calling my husband downstairs, we brought the thirty-year-old freezer back into the garage, once more transferred the food, and started up the old freezer. Later I plugged in the new freezer; it would not freeze ice or anything else.

The store personnel suggested that I get the local approved repair person to the house to see if the freezer could be repaired. I called the manufacturer to get a list of approved repair companies. On the 26th, I was able to get someone to the house. The owner of Briggs Appliance had been on vacation earlier, and the other approved repair service refused to repair any appliance that had not been purchased from them. While he was very nice (Mr. Briggs), the repair person said that the freezer was not worth repairing, that it was leaking coolant.

To give the salesperson credit, he did come to collect the freezer, so that we did not have to take it back to the store ourselves.

I made arrangements to have the LG refrigerator delivered on June 25, 2007, making sure that I remained in my home office all day long. When the delivery men arrived and I had showed them where the refrigerator was to go, the driver requested that I come outside to the truck. The corner of the refrigerator was bashed in severely, along with the packing being damaged. My husband arrived home about that time and said that whoever loaded that appliance knew when it was loaded that it was damaged unless the damage occurred on the truck.

The delivery person gave me a damaged products card (MS# ____) and said that I had to call the company to make arrangements for another appliance to be delivered another day that I could not leave the house. The damaged appliance was hauled away. The new refrigerator was finally delivered about a week later; it's a beautiful appliance.

There was a special that was running at the time on energy saving for which I applied on July 4, 2007, via http://homedepot.onlinerrebates.com/confirminfo.aspx. I was to receive a $200.00 gift card for purchase of the LG refrigerator. That has not arrived at the time of this letter (Promotion Number 52907).

I was also to receive a return of the delivery charge as part of a promotion. That check has arrived (Promotion Number 84923).

As I had guests in my home and my husband was preparing for a lengthy stay in Africa, I did not have reason to use the Husky Powerwasher until on or about July 20, 2007. The power washer that I purchased on the 16th of June would not build pressure. I did not return it at the time; I thought that I would let my husband try to operate it when he returned. He came back from Zimbabwe on the 8th and tried the power washer this a.m. It will not build pressure.

Please note the following, when we purchased it, the box that the washer came in was nearly disintegrated, but it was the last one on the shelf, and I wanted that particular model. When I did install all of the hoses the first time, I noted that the water plug had already been removed. Is it possible that someone else had purchased this washer and also returned it?

Prior to returning the power washer today, I looked for the sales receipt and could not find it. As you can imagine, I have lots of paper work: sales receipts for the refrigerator and freezer, multiple customer invoices, bill of lading, online rebate forms, the paperwork from the appliance repairman, card from the damaged refrigerator, pick-up confirmation for the freezer, warrantee materials, manuals, and more. It is my fault that I cannot find the sales receipt for the power washer, but, at this point, I hope that you can see that such confusion is possible.

When my husband and I brought the power washer today to the returns desk, the young woman at the desk said that she could not take the washer back, as I did not have a receipt and the sale occurred more than 30 days ago. I asked for the manager, who was short with me, said that she could not do something that Georgia would not permit her to do, and walked away. I admit that I was upset when I spoke with her, but she would not let me finish a sentence and try to share with her some of what is in this letter.

It should be noted that at the returns desk at that time was the exact same model of power washer that someone else had returned today (the 12th). Is it possible that these power washers are defective?

I was told that I would need to send the washer back and pay $35.00 to have it looked at. If the washer was still under warrantee, my money would be returned. If there was further cost, I would be called about the charges. At this point my frustration with Home Depot is about to the maximum. Remember, this is a new washer does not have the first minute of powerwashing timed on it, yet, and I'm paying for a repair!

There was no discussion of I am sorry by the store, an even return for a washer that works, may I see the check that you wrote, or any other amenity.

At this point, I do not know what the answer is for my frustration with my experiences with Home Depot or how that such a situation can be ameliorated, but I have seldom been so upset by a corporation, especially, after having spent several thousand dollars with your company. I know that my business will not make or break your company, but as soon as I get my power washer back, I will not do business with Home Depot, again, nor would I recommend your corporation to anyone else. My experiences with Home Depot since June 16, 2007, for the most part, have not been pleasant.

Regards,
Linda

• Su
    Supermom4jc Aug 14, 2018

3 weeks ago we went to purchase a gas stove. Was told it would be delivered the next week. The day it was to be delivered we were told it was received damage. However they have an identical stove returned that has a broken knob they can replace. We pick it up. When we have someone hook the gas up, they find the cord has been cut off. No stove yet!

Comments

the worst case of customer service

Home Depot
Hampton Point, Hillsborough, NC

In late June 2007 we purchased a dishwasher, followed by stove two months later. "HBI Home Delivery" is the company that Home Depot and Lowes (in this area that I know of) contract to deliver their appliance sales and never have I seen a delivery company so inflexible to customer needs.

HBI delivery would call the night before to inform us what time they were delivering, which we quickly noticed was 3-7 Tuesdays and Friday. Like many people we have busy work schedules making us unavailable so we asked for a morning delivery, which we never got. Finally after only a month our dishwasher was delivered, not in the morning of course, but rather 3-7 after my wife took time off work.

Thinking the first delivery problem was a flook we purchased a stove from Home Depot and of course, ran in to similar difficulties. We informed HBI Home delivery that we were unavailable in the evening due to work schedules that couldn't be changed but would be happy to be present in the morning. Again they told us to reschedule for the next delivery date and they would see what they could do. After rescheduling two times HBI finally told us that due to their route we could only get deliveries in the late afternoon and they would not alter it. I called Home Depot in Hillsborough and they did little to help, stating that unfortunately that's just the way it is.

Luckly we received this stove in only a week and a half due to HBI forgetting to take us off the schedule after we canceled and the truck was so late that they arrived at 9pm when we were home.

This is the worst case of customer service that I've ever experienced and I will never purchase another appliance from Home Depot due to the poor customer service they've provided in both my communication with the Hillsborough store and via HBI that they contract for deliveries. I would like to see Home Depot provide some good customer service, until they do, I'll make sure to inform others so they don't make the same mistake I did in purchasing an appliance from such a place.

polyresin wicker furniture is a rip off!

I purchased my wicker set at Target 2 years ago I have taken very good care of my furniture wrapping it every winter. This year when I took in out I noticed that the plastic resin is popping off an splitting I am very disappointed I thought I would have this set for years to come since it was about $500.00 I feel that this set should be replaced If you think about it it has only been outside for the months of June, July and aug a total of 6 months in the last 2 years I have tried to find a phone number or an address for Hampton Bay but have not been able to find any information on them.