Great Clipsemployee treatment

J

I was hired at Great Clips in Tucson Arizona in Feb 2011. I was interviewed by two managers at two separate Great Clips, within a two day period. Keep in mind it's like summer here in Tucson, even in Feb. so, I was wearing half sleeves, both interviews.
I was called by Mandy, and told I had the job. (on a Sunday) Monday, I got a call from my family that my Mom had choked, and was rushed to the hospital, she was w/out oxygen for over 20 minutes. I was told it didn't look good, as she was in a coma, and to get back to my hometown (900 miles away) I called Mandy, and told her what had happened, she stated "don't worry, take care of things, you will have your job waiting when you get back. Before leaving that day, I went to meet a 3rd manager, to fill out my paperwork, I was given no start date at that time, except that they wanted me to start training right away. I filled out me paperwork, and read in the, what seemed like hundreds of pages, no visible tattoos, yet all my tattoos are visible, and were for all the interviews. I told her, and she said "well they must have known, hiring you" so that was that, and I left for my long drive.
four days later, while in the hospital, I received a text to call Mandy, I couldn't because I had not left the hospital for so long, I needed to charge my phone. She said to call her at six. I did. She said, very sarcastically, "oh, your phones charged now, huh?...well, we are no longer able to offer you employment, because you have tattoos" WHAT?! She saw them days ago...now that I'm with my Mom in a coma, all deals are off? Yes.
My Mom passed away, but just maybe she was protecting me from a tasteless, obviously, classless company, that are all about the bottom line, money, with little regard for the pain of losing a parent, or any loved one, for that matter.
I am glad, even though I now have to find another job in this economy, that I didn't settle for a 12 minute haircut company, with obviously terribly trained managers.
Great Clips, in my opinion, is shameful!

• Tr
    Treah Mar 12, 2011

It depends on your state and the company. I once worked for a company that was "family oriented friendly bs." You could have tatoos and piercings but had to conceal them with clothes and take your piercings out or wear a clear one when you were on the job. This was addressed in the interview and at orientation so we were warned in advance. I"ll let you be the judge of if you were discriminated against because you were there in person. I hope you find something that suits you:-)

pobarjenkins Mar 08, 2011

@JPZ I do not know about your state but here it is completely legal. Getting tattoos and piercings are a voluntary choice, and if you cannot perform your work under their required dress-code then a company is allowed to fire you.

• Jp
    JPZ Mar 07, 2011

BTW, it's against the law (discrimination) to let a person go, based on tattoos. I have just found this out, and could be grounds for a lawsuit.
    I'm glad though, that it happened. Home of the 12 minute haircut, is def. not for me :)

pobarjenkins Mar 03, 2011

It doesn't matter though, and that's what you appear to not understand. It's still a legitimate reason even if you worked for three weeks and then they let you go. Maybe the individuals who met with you thought that the corporate office would let the tattoos go, and then they later found out they wouldn't?

I really doubt it's because your emergency. And even if it truly is, which you nor I can ever know, they are well within their rights to do so. It doesn't make them heartless, it makes them a business. What if they waited for you for weeks and were short-staffed and denying customers because of it? What if you turned out to be an awful employee? You were a risk, and you need to accept that they were within their rights to do what they did.

• Jp
    JPZ Mar 03, 2011

As I said, they saw them in my interview, and has no problems with them...it was because I had no idea when I would be returning to town, because of my family emergency...it can be summed up in one word "heartless"...I'm better off.

pobarjenkins Mar 03, 2011

"She saw them days ago...now that I'm with my Mom in a coma, all deals are off?"

I really don't think your mother had anything to do with the denial of employment. I'm so sorry for your loss, but they stated out-right in your paperwork about tattoos. You cannot be that surprised.

pobarjenkins Mar 03, 2011

I don't feel sympathy for you. When you got tattoos, you knew that they could place restrictions on your employment options. It is possible those managers weren't paying attention. It doesn't matter even if they did notice. Tattoos were your personal choice and they can come with consequences. Great Clips (besides being a little rude on the phone) did nothing wrong.

• Tr
    Treah Mar 01, 2011

Things happen for a reason. It wasn't meant to be.