Great Clipsawful company

I currently work at a Great Clips and I wished that I didn't. I have worked at many salons but I have never been in a salon that works so hard at stifling creativity. They start their stylists off at $7.50 an hour, Have a Dress code so strict that you'd have to have either a large closet to pull these exact outfits out of or a lot of money to afford the attire just to make less then the outfits themselves are worth.

They work their stylists to death with very little breaks and huge amounts of patrons... that by the way must think they are getting a lot more an hour because they either tip very little($1) or stiff you all together. They pressure stylist to get each haircut done in a small amount of time. Their training is absolutely ridiculous. They have 'Blackout' days when you cannot call off work, normally set around times the average person goes away on vacation, spends time with family for holidays, or have a special occasion.

They are what people talk about when they say Greedy Corporate America. They make so much money off of their stylists and put up so little themselves that I would suggest booth rental or commission work to anyone thinking of working there. Think of it this way If a stylist has to cut 4 heads in a hour each paying $12 a cut you get a total of $48 an hour.

Now multiply that amount by... oh we'll aim low and say 4 stylist are on the floor that day. You now have $192. Lets just say they work an 8 hour day Thats $1536 they've made that day. Lets take out the stylists pay... thats $240 for all 4 of them, Then you have the total amount of money they made off of owning a building and the name of Great Clips... which is $1296, The Schooling and the tools the stylist paid for are as expensive as most tools used in nursing. These people provide none of these.

After the building utilities are paid its pure profit off of someone else's skills for these greedy MFers. Just think of this before you walk into the next Great Clips to feed these money hungry monsters.

• Da
    Darlene gia Nov 14, 2018

Even sports cuts pays $10/ hour. All stylist refuse to work. We need to strike. Once they loose money they'll pay us.

• Je
    jeezlouise Jul 01, 2018

You ALL sound like lazy entitled liberals that have no gratitude for the company that GAVE YOU A JOB THAT YOU APPLIED FOR. No one came to your house and forced you into the location at gunpoint- Grow up- its a job. If you dont like it- quit and go do something else. Losers.

• Wr
    wrong stylist May 17, 2018

I am recently a x Great Clips employee and every thing that has been said negative about this company is TRUE!!! I had to work alone because we were short handed and we did not have a bathroom in our store so I would often not be able to go to the bathroom for 4 hours !!! I am calling the labor dept. I have worked for Great Clips for ten years in two different states the franchisee 's need to be reined in on how they treat their employees we are the ones that make them the money I wish every one would quit in every state !! This was the last great clips I will ever work at its sucks to start over but that is exactly what I will do

• Co
    Courtney7wright Mar 11, 2018

I work for Great Clips currently and have to say it is the best job I've ever had. I make 8.50 and hour but I get productivity bonuses, product commission, PTO, double time for holidays that I'm not even working on. I make more than enough to live.
    Yes I make a lot of money for the company but the company brings me a steady flow of customers. I always have guaranteed money, i never have to worry about if I'm going to make enough for booth rent or if ill profit at all with expenses for products used, tools, etc.
    They work a lot with my schedule, always give breaks, always at least 2 days off a week, good hours, and really extensive training. I would not be as good at cuts as I am today if it wasn't for great clips.
    My franchise owner has like 5 or 6 locations and will hand deliver anything that needs to get to me and shows that he cares about his employees. My manager is the best. very encouraging and we all work as a team to keep the salon running. I dont want to work anywhere else.

charleigh78945 Aug 31, 2017

Great Clips sucks! They dont properly screen their franchisees and dont even require them to know a thing about hair before buying into one. They only care about money. The franchisees I encountered are the most incompetent and [censor] backwards s***cs I have ever seen. They are very evil and racist even going as far as saying they didnt want " a lot of black people working for them." Great Clips needs to have a liaison to report these unworthy, lack of business sense [censor] franchisees!!

• Mi
    mir boa Jun 28, 2016

Great Clips at 1838 warrensville center rd, south Euclid, OH, 44121 ( across from Walmart, next to Penn station Subs)
    My son got a hair cut there today and manager Robin, ruined my son's hair and cut top too short, she left right side long and top short and a line on side without fade. She had a nasty attitude and denied my son was explicit about not touching top of head.I hope she gets fired, she should not even have a license.

• Re
    Reviewer69107 Jan 27, 2016

There is no license manager for more than 3 years.The stylist that is acting manager just graduation school less than a year ago. She doesnt even have enough hours to qualify for a state license or test. The owner still can have an operating salon no matter what the laws are WOW !!!

thetruthaboutGC May 07, 2015

Good bye and you have a productive life as well.

GC Franchis Owner May 06, 2015

I don’t want to debate this with you as it seems fruitless. But let me say this. For all the alleged issues this person is enduring, I see one thing that just stands out, that being the desire and/or ability to do anything to correct it. Consider this. Every Great Clips salon and their records and employees are reviewed every six months for quality and meeting the Great Clips operational policy. Great Clips also supplies every employee with a phone number and website address to anonymously note complaints and policy non-compliance. Additionally, each state has a Fair Practice Board that is available to anybody to anonymously report employment and employer violations of workplace regulations. Apparently none of the persons voicing such complaints utilized these options, but instead took the time to complain here. Great Clips salons are franchise owned. I say that because the complainants note such things as Great Clips is a horrible place to work and it’s a monster of a company. That’s just anger from somebody that’s either uninformed or unwilling to take personal responsibility to make things right for themselves, the customers and Great Clips. That logic would tell me the same person that may purchase a lemon of a car and then say that all cars are lemons. If the issues that the person(s) allege are true, then they should have taken action, instead of miring in such misery and self-pity, or just plain quitting. These people are the ones that seem to bring truth to the old adage..."If you're not part of the solution...you're part of the problem". Good bye and have a personally productive life.

thetruthaboutGC May 06, 2015

Have you read the complaints of those not still working there? These complaints are everywhere. Are they all lying about the illegal practices? The problem continues because stylists will quit and move on. A majority won't sue because they can't afford to and that is what management counts on. There is one franchisee who makes the employees sign a contract agreeing to give up their right to sue them.. Of course they have a choice to sign or not work there. They aren't thinking about suing. They just want a job. A contract is ok to have but doesn't protect you from illegal employment practice. The stylists don't know this though. How about deducting the cost of training if the stylists leave them? Does Great Clips corporation know they have franchisees who do this? I saw a paycheck stub that deducted the Academy training time from an employee that quit. They then were told they owed him money because their last paycheck wasn't large enough to cover it. A few bad apples are hurting the company as a whole. You may be one of the good ones but I know these complaints are valid. The stylists don't understand the business part of it. They just want to be treated better and have every right to expect these owners to know the employment laws. Corporate knows about these complaints because Ive seen their responses to them. Six years later and the same complaints are still posted. I say they should hold their franchisees accountable.

GC Franchis Owner May 04, 2015

Lets look at a couple comments the person made.
    "stifling creativity" GC salon model is not that of a full service salon. It's the basics. Think a Four Seasons restaurant vs. McDonalds.
    "They pressure stylist to get each haircut done in a small amount of time" Think a production line vs. hand built.
    "Greedy Corporate America" The same greedy corporation that gave them the job she hates but still works there.
    "After the building utilities are paid its pure profit off of someone else's skills for these greedy MFers. Just think of this before you walk into the next Great Clips to feed these money hungry monsters". Given this statement I see a person with a very negative attitude, totally unaware of business concepts at all and believes that anybody making money off somebody's skills (that's what you need to get a job) is a monster. If I used that convoluted logic I guess that person wouldn't mind if they're doctor didn't go to medical school or that an airplane pilot didn't go to flight school. If GC had such illegal and horrid business practices, I tend to believe she would have sued by now. But instead, they're still working there...taking money from the same greedy corporation they deplore and resent. Wonderful!

thetruthaboutGC May 04, 2015

Most stylists who have not owned a business don't understand overhead. The real complaint is about feeling unappreciated. Having to clock out in between customers. Not given enough time to eat. Working 8 hours straight without a simple thank you from management. Having to pay register shortages at the end of the night even though it's against federal employment law. Having their times modified by managers without their consent. How many franchisees of Great Clips are allowing these horrid employment practices within their salons? Six that I know of. To hear a manager say, "We can do this as long as no one reports us." Actually I've heard that from a gm as well. If you can't make a profit without screwing your stylist out of their money then I suggest you shouldn't own a business either:)

GC Franchis Owner May 02, 2015

The person with the initial financial complaint forgot to add in the cost of running the salon. Just little things like rent, franchise and advertising fees, insurance, advertising, products and supplies, taxes, telephone, utilities, training, bank charges, computer charges. accounting, licenses and permits, repairs and maintenance and much more. The net operating income from a salon making what she claims is 10.3%...or about $35K to $40K to the owner that provides that person employment. Given the person's understanding of business is probably why she/him is not a business owner and probably never will be.

• Ba
    baile Nov 23, 2014

I think hair dressers need to unionize. Companies like this only think of saving the life style of their customers. Cheap haircut pricing is the issue. In today's world hairdresser are seen a the low man on the ladder. I am a great hair dresser but I have gone from making 50 thousands a year to 23 thousands a year. Wish I could go in to a mechanical shop and say hey the balancing of my tires should be free because I bought a tire. It would be the same as someone saying I want a blow dry because you wet my hair for the cut. Blow drying takes 20 to 45 minutes. We are only allowed 13 to 17 minutes to do the hair cuts. Add a drying and for free Make it take 45 minute to an hour. We are not waitresses we do not sell enough to receive tip based on that. And half the people do not tip. We spent good money to learn this. We are not Mcdonald workers. Because of the lack of appreciations I am leaving the industry. I want to have the importance of a better social standing. And have a life style of some one who is considered to be higher class. If you want better service then treat you hair dressers like they are real people who profession is just as valuable as your mechanic. There will be no good hair dressers at this rate. Will do my friend and family for free even though I am leaving the business because I do enjoy my work. Unionize will help maintain the balance between employers, employees, and corporate.

• Br
    Bruce Jones Jul 29, 2014

On July 26th I received the worst haircut of my life I had to go to another stylist to fix it cost 15.00

Donna Box Oct 27, 2013

Wow..I have worked for Great Clips for over 7 years, before that I worked for the Haircuttery, I have been in this business for over 20 years, and i must say, Great Clips is by far the best place I have worked, and it saddens me to see a whole company getting a bad name because of a few INDIVIDUAL stores, i hope you all realize that Great Clips are independently owed, so in reality your problem isnt really with Great Clips as whole, its certain stores, so please stop bashing a company that has made me stay in the profession that i love and have found life long friends, yes I do know a few stores that are just awful, but that is the fault of management and stylist who don't take pride in their work or want to actually work, If you have a good salon staff and caring owner, it is obvious when you walk into the salon, it breaks my heart that there are stores out there that treat their stylist and customers so badly, but you really shouldnt chastise a whole company for a few stores

• Za
    Zacsblankie Jun 02, 2013

I work for Great Clips and this is my second time working for this company. To me it is sad a company. They pay employees minimum wage for something they went to school for. The company does not pay our tips. They can't do commission of each hair cut instead they pay a terrible hourly wage. It's a corrupt business. Yes with anything you must work hard. Cry babies? I don't think so. Are you from corporate? Must be. This is by far the worst company I've ever worked for. They could care less about their employees. If they appreciated their employees more for what they do and paid a bit more maybe they wouldn't have so many complaints. I have no other choice right now because I have a family to support while I'm back in school. I will never go back to working for a franchise hair business...they rip their employees off. Great Clips works people to death. They have a TON of labor disputes. This should be a red flag and raise attention to whomever can stop this awful business. Personally, I care about my customers but sometimes I don't because I am so burnt out from working my butt off for such little pay and working so much and can hardly take a damn break. I'm not a machine, I'm a human being. I believe all of the top chairs in this company need to stand on their feet for 10 hours at a time cutting hair for little pay constantly and being told we cannot take breaks if we are busy...that means no break because they are almost always busy. I know so many people that have contacted labor board for this issue. STOP GREAT CLIPS

josie71 Apr 20, 2012

The stylists need to find out if their state is an employer state or an employee state. Most states have rules and regulations for regulate breaks if the state is for the employee. However, if the state laws are for the employers, breaks and shut down time are at the managers discretion. Each states constitution is different.

DoublDelightx20 Apr 20, 2012

Great Clips are so full of themselves and lies so much to their employees. There are not any appreciation for the work they do. There are too many favoritism and unprofessionalism going on. They pay you minimum wages. It is a horrible place to work for. They make you feel less of a human being. Too much negativity, goofing around, and gossiping in the room. Too much backstabbing going on.

DoublDelightx20 Apr 20, 2012

by the way "love my hair" shut up you do not know what you're talking about

DoublDelightx20 Apr 20, 2012

We need to report all Great Clips to the Department of Labor.

love my hair Mar 20, 2012

I disagree with all of the complaints, I have been going for years and had one bad hair cut the stylist name was Jessica and she could have cared less what she was doing. My hair was so uneven everywhere! Then she thinks she expects a tip! Try again, you weren't worth a penny! Thanks to the managers and a very caring stylist the corrected all of her mistakes and didn't even charge me a thing. Now was well worth a tip and that is why I continue to go back! Thank you Carmen for caring, you are the best. Everyone has to work, if you don't like what you are doing then quit and let someone else who needs a job work. Sounds like a bunch of cry babies if you ask me! Get over yourselves! Great Clips, you people are awesome and I wills come in to get my hair cut!

thetruthaboutGC Nov 05, 2011

Someone should have disputed the clocking in and out complaints. They must not feel the hairstylist has the means to fight back. They do! The back pay alone will have doors closing and For Rent signs going up. Keep track of time at work...make notes of breaks taken.. (owners or managers cannot modify your times) unless it can be proven you were not in the building. They have low payroll numbers because of this illegal act of modifying actual times worked. They must pay you for setting up and tearing down stations at each shift. A plus if your salon has video cameras!

• Re
    Rebecca Petersen May 28, 2011

I have been with Great Clips for 7 years, I will let all stylist know that you have to be hard workers to work for this company, you have to have strong work ethics, like to please clients, lots of clients, with all different personalities and backrounds, if you want to make money you have to work, The company is open 7 days a week, you work for the clients, they do not work around you, Because we do not take appointments, and the company hires you, be reliable, work your scheduled shifts, if you have a head-ache, take an aspirin, stomache take pepto, unless you are not dying or contagious with a docs note, go to work, because if you do not show, you burn out your co-workers because they have too work twice as hard to cover your ###, for some
    sorry excuse, if you are not a hard worker and do not want to work for your money-DO NOT APPLY AT GREAT CLIPS

• Ex
    ex GC employee Mar 29, 2011

The union for cosmetologist is the same one that Safeway is in. Not sure what it is called, several years ago I worked for Super Cuts and they tried to get it to go. It fell through due to the lack of knowledge some of the stylist had available. There were two states involved and one is a right to work state and they were not allowed all the information the other state had available and their votes were necessary. Good Luck

• Fo
    Former employee Feb 07, 2011

The Great Clips I worked at, my coworkers including my manager, all but me, dressed like prostitutes.

Logic36 Aug 13, 2010

STYLIST, IT'S TIME FOR A ''UNION''. WE SHOULD NO LONGER LET THESE COMPANIES GET RICH OFF OUR talents. With out Us, we're would they be for real. Stand up with me, I'm going to attempt to start the first Union for Barbers, Cosmetologist, Etc. Aren't you tired of when you Use Web Links for Jobs, you often don't even see a Listing for your Field?, Are we not as Important, as a Truck driver, or Cook? No company is to Big To Fall, I'm on Face Book, I'm going to start a Union group first, to share Ideas. Lawrence Mcclellan

Logic36 Aug 12, 2010

To whom it may concern. I since 8/11/2010, am now an X employee of Great Clips. This is not a letter of your "Average common Disgruntle" employee. I'm an African American Barber, that helped open the Trussville Birmingham, Al Location.( Store # 125) The owner who Is Muslim, Has fired me, and Called it. '' Voluntary Termination'', Now that's a New one. Despite being discriminated against due to my Color, and Gender, seeing 30 people fired in 80 days. I have even been told Who I could be Friends with, and who I could not be friends with. I've been told by my "Muslim Owner" that I am to not discuss "Religion", I have been made to go out in ""98-100"" degree weather, to pass out coupons. And I have worked many Hours, with out being Paid. Like the times when she would be 15 minutes "Late" opening the store, but tells us we can't clock in till we have set our stations? Or the countless times, I have been clocked out 15 minutes early, while still cleaning, so that she could finish closing? I asked this owner If I could "Transfer". But since she was in "Fear" that I was going to report her to a higher power, she called other franchise owners, and told them not to hire me, and told me if I transferred, I would not be able to work for 60 days? Well with a family, who can take that risk? Then after the first 88 days, she let me and the Manager work our normal 28-35 hours, but as soon as the 100 day mark arrived, all of a sudden, our hours our dropped back to almost 15-20? If I was hired as a "Full time Stylist", "With no restrictions", how is it possible she can work me at Part time Hours? She uses the Policy like a " Bible", But doesn't even follow it. Every time I would try to compromise, or work something out with Mrs. Naureen, she would always "Retaliate against me" I would have been contacted my Supervisor, but really, how do you complain on an "Owner"?, Just mentioning my supervisor got me less hours, or extra coupon duty. I would ask her, why do I pass out coupons, and clean, Hold the sign, but the white employees don't, she would simply say, "Worry about your self", not Others.( WTF) See this is not about being (Mad) that I lost My job, this is about "Future Stylist" that will have to work at her shop and endure the most Brutal 3rd world treatment known to man. When Mrs. Naureen gets done, she will be responsible for more "Law suits" in the History of Law Suits. Like the one I plan to do. Not only has she violated "Labor Laws", violated my "Constitutional" right to have "Religion" ( The customer can tell me what church they go to, but if I mention Mine I get wrote Up?, but this Lady even had Under Age Children, holding signs for them, then she would not pay them. Got that on video by the way. She's so cheap, she even fired the window man, who only charged $ 15 a month, just to get us to do it for the pay we already make. Wow! I didn't know when I graduated Barber College, that I would be a Stylist, Receptionist, and Advertiser, what do you guys do, make schedules? Even If I don't get One red cent, If you care more for your Customers than your stylist, you are "Doomed". It's the Stylist who makes the reputation of the shop or company, and I'm going to make stylist aware of that fact, cause you guys don't have it. This lady, even retaliated against me, for talking to other stylist about a "Union", another, violation. See I even inquired about talking to my supervisor, Who is named, "Victoria", when I called and Left a Message, not only did she not call back, but Mrs. Naureen told me, she will not talk to me, and that Victoria, worked for her. After I get through Contacting the Labor Board, Equal Opportunity Board, and Contact ever disgruntle Employee that has ever worked for you, I can see the Class Action suit coming. You guys make millions off the sweat of us, and won't even Pay Us. Like Mrs. Naureen told, me, I guess you think we all have "Teeny Brains". But if it takes my Last Breath, This type of treatment towards Stylist, is not going to stand. What would you do, if we got smart, and said, ''Hey, lets walk out, and Demand better pay. I mean you type of company's, pay your window Washers, and Receptionist more than your Stylist. You can't "Hide" behind your "Franchise Owners", and say you have no "Responsibility", because you do, they represent, (You). And I don't remember signing an "Arbitrary" agreement either. This is Not a Threat, But a Promise. All I wanted was an Opportunity to take care of my family, Instead, I end up working for a "Cold Hearted Muslim", who probably has "Taliban Ties", by the way, I reported her to the "FBI" as well. So I hope shes Legal, I would love to hear a Response from One of you Top Dogs Up there, in "New Money Heaven".I often wondered, how can you make a profit, charging such cheap prices?, I get it, by not paying your employees. I know I'm just a mere "Stylist", I know I'm no serious threat to you, But By God, I'm going to give it my best shot. I'm going to get on TV, Radio, Face Book, My Space, ever, Technological devise I can Find, to spread the word, "Enough is Enough". Thank you and Have a Blessed Day. "Voluntary Termination", LMAO

My Question is, If theres this many, people that has worked for Great Clips, who feel they have done a mis justice, why aren't we doing something about it. I mean Pharmaceutical company get sued all the time. Why haven't we sued them?

• Si
    single mom with sick kid Aug 11, 2010

I started working at a greatclips 4 months ago, Im on time I cover shifts I do all my duties, I dont complain. I took family medical leave because my sons brain cancer came back, I called today and asked if I could get back on the schedual I have been at the childrens hospital for 2 weeks, I am a single mom with two kids to raise. I have to work, I was told today that my manager will put me on the schedual however the "girls" feel like with my sons situation Im not going to be reliable, he will need 6 weeks radiation in 3 months, so if I choose to come back to work she will right me up for any little thing I do till she can fire me. I will never work for this company again!!!

• Ei
    eileen hoffman May 11, 2010

i went to your fairlawn office on 5/10/2010 and a women name Dottie did my hair gave me a great new look just loved it. was very personable and as i watched before she had taken me back in get my hair cut i could tell she was great with the public. i just thought you would like to know

• Sg
    S George Mar 24, 2010

This is the first time in my life I'm complaining about my haircut, I had this cut at the grat clips in Thornton, CO by Terri. This rude ### cut my hair in 2 minutes-not kidding!! Now it all looks like patched!! Now I have to go to another place to ix it.

• Mi
    misfithair30 Jan 14, 2010

i unfortunately have been an employee here for years. This has been the most stressful job i have ever been in as well as the most corrupt. A while ago, i was workin in the shop for a few years when i started to notice that my timesheets did not match my paychecks. So i started saving them all and comparing but said nothing. We were a little short staffed at the time and had to work a lot of overtime because my manager was never actually in the store( but logged the hours in for herself anyway), i had a bigger clientell so i had to stay on the floor a lot with no break, due to her hiring a lady who spoke no english whatsoever! So months went by and finally i overheard the asst man talkin to the manager in the office when they didnt know i was there, they were taking time off if you clocked in early even if you were cutting, taking 30 min off timesheets when you didnt take a lunch and taking time off if you worked late!!! This made her payroll lower, which made her bonus higher.I asked her about it and she yelled at me saying it was none of my business and to prove it. I quit that day and called the labor board . They informed me that that was illegal and sent me all these forms. I sent in all my paystubbs and timecards. I filed a claim. A week later great clips called and wanted me back with all the back pay. That made my claim void. Then a couple weeks ago i was informed that the only reason i was asked back was so i would have to drop the claim by my manager.This was not the first time nor the last that this has happened so beware.It is common practice and there is a report that they can print that says all the time they take off individuals. I DO understand that it is a choice to work here but i dont know where to go., or how to start over.

LOL7654 Dec 21, 2009

No sorry we don't have this rule at my great clips. Great clips needs to be very careful becasue Legally if u work more then 6 hours you get a l15 min break right? Not so with this company if u are busy for 6 or more hours at this salon u don't get a break.

• Bl
    blackanus Oct 04, 2009

did the stylist look like this...?

• Pe
    peter piper Sep 16, 2009

I am a Great Cllips employee as well, I love my customers and the concept the Great clips has, , , , however, I do work very hard, never tardy, no absences, very productive employee. They have this 10-2 rule, if no customers come in and 2 or more are sitting you HAVE to clock out, but stay available for when customers come in, and stay late if busy. You will get wrote up if you do not comply. I have complied and did not receive labor day hoiday pay as a result, , , stating l did not have enough hours. I have been there every hour scheduled, but have been cheated, due to clocking out between customers... This is sooo wrong. I don't beleive all great clips have this rule, does anyone know? felling cheated

thin from the g clips diet Sep 08, 2009

I agree. God, i hate great clips! Im on the great clips diet, no carbs, no protein, no nothing because there is no lunch! Unless you want to leave your only coworker alone with 12 customers! They always understaff, but threaten you later that if you dont clock out for lunch, your fired! Huh? Its true, you always feel bullied, and threatened. I come to work always to find nasty notes about what im doing wrong. The nazi comment is true too! You cannot be unique there! I bring in a sack of video games to pass to to the kids, but the manager tried to fire me for it! Only the pure money i bring in saved me. Now ill admit, im currently at a great clips where our owner allows us to wear jeans, and doesnt make us say that God aweful "welcome to great clips" greeting. This is just enough for me to deal with g clips, that and i avoid 8 hour shifts, cause one things for sure... the second you walk in, youll be on your feet cutting until you leave. No lunch!!!

• Je
    Jen Warner Aug 18, 2009

I'm tired of the micro management and warnings, lies, ### that goes on at Great Clips. I'd never recommend any stylist work there! This company does not allow employees to be human.

AngelTeacher Jul 02, 2009

I was about to begin work at a Great Clips, with the operative words being "about to." Then I read postings on this site and realized that I wasn't the only one feeling this way.

The franchisee distributed a handbook that said one thing, then told me a complete different story when I asked her to clarify something I did not understand with regard to this issue.

Franchisee schedules an "open house" and when I arrive during the time frame, it was apparent that it was more of a "class" than an "open house." Worse, everyone was introduced to one another -- except for me! It was obvious I was the oldest person in the room -- and was treated as if I were invisible.

Franchisee expected people to "volunteer" to stock the shelves prior to grand opening -- for free!

Franchisee also loves to text message everyone. When asked to please email my schedule so I could print it, she refused to comply.

I can see working Saturdays -- but Sundays are my only true "family day" and I refuse to give that up. Who in heaven's name gets their hair done on Sunday? I'm in church Sunday mornings!

The earning potential isn't bad for someone who does not possess a college degree. But GC will work one half to death in doing it -- and at least corporate America understands Labor Laws and necessary breaks, etc.

Thankfully, I've now earned my teaching degree and will now earn my income elsewhere!

joe customer Jun 14, 2009

I found this thread because I was curious about how much a Great Clips employee earns. I am a customer and was curious at to how well my stylus does.

If she makes 8.50 plus another 8.00 hour in tips that's not bad for an 18 year old just out of school. She turns 19 this August and will take her cosmetology management test at that time. She's friendly and always smiles. I'm sure she does great in tips.

For someone without a college degree making 34k a year is pretty good. I have a MA degree and work in research and make 40k.

I'm guessing here that those who are unhappy would probably be unhappy regardless of where they work. For me, I'll stick with my happy stylus for as long as she's 'just' cutting hair.

• Rm
    rmcnicoll Jun 01, 2009

Ok, Let me share my story with you. I went to work for great clips and was quickly promoted to manager. I was also pregnant at the time. I found out 2 months before my baby was born that I also had gallstones. I was in a lot of pain!! I still worked up until a week before my son was born. I felt I was very devoted to my job and was told I would return to the same postion when I came back. One week before I was to return the owner called me and said she was demoting me because the store ran smoother and was more profitable while I was gone. She also transferred me further away and I got a $2 dollar pay cut. I was p romised a full time stylist postion at this point. I was in shock and very hurt. I took the postion because I needed a job. but it was not a good choice. I only got like 20 hours a week and was treated like crap.
    I would not reccomend working at great clips. The corporate office needs to take more control of each salon and not allow the owner's to do what ever they want. They treat their people like they are nothing.