Goodwill storescam and theft

I and my fiance and daughter personally witnessed theft on several occasions by Manager Ginger Haase and her coworker Barb in the Thorndale Pa store. To make a long story fit into 100 words. They would go through items donated, take out all the valuables, jewelry, etc. have them prebagged and waiting for a friend Joanne Pacana to pick up on her lunch break. After complaining from bottom to CEO Ron Kratofil, he banns me from the store and ignores this. This woman still goes in on her lunch break and takes the valuable put aside. This is theft and needs stopped now. Where do I go if CEO condones this?? HELp The public has a right to know where there items are really going!!!

• Ca
    c. allen Oct 14, 2008

I HAD A IN-LAW THAT WORKED AT A GOODWILL STORE AND I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THIS HAPPENS.

• Ti
    tina Oct 16, 2008

Your right C Allen. My goal is to make people aware where to donate. It sickens me when there are so many needy families and othre organizations that actually help and I see people donating to Goodwill. Not just the store end, but their estates and 401ks, It amazes me how so many people really do not know Goodwill is in my eyes and many a scam. The higher ups have salaries that are ridiculous as they do not deserve, they do nothing for them. They do not even care or have a clue whats going on in the stores. They do not care about theft of donations, but they are earning nice fat paychecks doing nothing. Goodwill in my eyes is a scam who plays on peoples sympathy's for others disabilities and uses it for monetary gain for the higher ups. When you look at what they bring in vs who they help, it doesn't match up.
    The get the disabled to do menial jobs from the contracts they earn, they treat them differently, been proven, Ginger Haase infact this same one that is stealing, belittles them. I heard her yelling on the floor in plain earview of everyone to a young guy who worked their with a stuttering problem. She is mean, unprofessional, and steals, yet Goodwill turns a blind eye to this theft. Its got to stop, they have got to quit playing on peoples sympathy in order to steal!!!

• Valerie Oct 17, 2008

Please Stop Donations to Goodwill Stores in the Thorndale and all Pa Keystone Stores that are run by Manager Ginger Haase CEO Ron Kratofil Regional Manager April Marconi. Theft is allowed there by manager and employees. We have seen on several occasions Ginger Haase and Barb take out valuable items, jewelry, glassware etc and prebag for friend Joanne Pacana to pick up on her lunch break. Several have witnessed this with their own eyes and asst. manager Becca and employee Sandra confirmed and told us more, however Ron Kratofil and loss prevention Stan McCarty refused to interview these 2 employees who vowed to tell the truth if ever asked. Please find a church or needy family to donate, DO NOT DONATE VALUABLES OF ANY TYPE TO PA GOODWILL STORES UNTIL THE THEFT CAN BE CLEANED UP.

• Gi
    giana Nov 01, 2008

I agree, this store is a joke. I know this Barb and Ginger the manager, I cant believe no one does anything about thisl. The managment needs fired. Well I have seen this myself. Barb also puts out junk jewelry and tries to tell people its sterling to pay high prices for goodwill, then gives the expensive jewelry to her friends. It will stop, one way or another. People including myself are not donating to them, we donate to help the needy. Spread the word. Stoppppppppppppppppp Donations to the Thorndale and Pa Goodwill Stores, they steal and the managers allow. I also know a lady who comes in just to pick up antique bears, it seems this Ginger and Barb have there own thing going on here. Managment you should be ashamed!!! Im writing to the charity fraud, irs, anyone I can

• Zo
    zollar Nov 10, 2008

If this thieft is really going on why dont you film it and post it on you tube. Perhaps then these people will be embarresed and stop this behavior.

• Ti
    tina Nov 14, 2008

your sooooooo right, it does happen, and whats bad is that when the manager Ginger Haase, and CEO Ron Kratofil allow it, thats worse. If they set an example everyone would follow, they know this is going on and cover it up, because in my opinion they are in on it too. There is a reason you could stop this but choose to ignore. Please stop donations to Goodwills, at least in Pa

• J
    j Nov 14, 2008

Met with local Goodwill execs years ago about some business partnership and my gut impression was that management is a bit shady. Same with Salvation Army, not so much the management, but some of the store clerks seem like they need to be watched as closely as the customers for theft. Plus, I know of Thrift shops where policy is that volunteers get first dibs on whatever's turned in. Not sure if the management of charities turns a blind eye to wards misbehavior by their employees out of a sense of charity, but just avoid giving them anything of value and sell it yourself.

marie Jan 09, 2009

I just had a bad experience with shopgoodwill.com. Not my first either. They don't sell honestly, often their descriptions are way of base. On Dec 12 I won an item. I figured the holidays were slowing it down, even though the winning location was no more than 60 miles from my address. I logged on today to find my payment cleared on 12/21, and the item was up for auction again, with a modified, but not enough to realize they did not have 2 of the same item. I emailed and they apoplogzied, but still...I feel it was a scam.

• Ta
    Tammylynn Apr 10, 2009

I understand where ya come from. I supported shopgoodwill.com for 2 years buying on there website. spent over 20, 000$$$$. I started getting wrong items, misrepresented items and sometimes nothing was sent to me at all AFTER I PAID FOR THE ITEM'S, & on several occations I was over charged on shipping. I brought it to the attention of the sellers, wrote letters, called them, the last time I complained to the customer care??? they acually closed my account and will not return my emails. pretty crappy if ya ask me. And I am still waiting on 4 refunds. Chances are I will never recieve them. PEOPLE NEED TO BEWARE OF THIS. THIS WEBSITE IS A RIP OFF...Please read there buyer bidding policy before you bid on this website. It basicly says they will sell what they want. To bad so sad if you recieve junk. its not there problem. Please BEWARE

• Mi
    missmarie253 Jul 27, 2009

I 100000000% agree with all of you!! Here is something I posted on another website.

I frequently purchased items from the GoodWill online auction for several months. Then I noticed several items would reach astoundingly high prices well before the auction was set to close. Similar items would also reach unrealistically higher sales than the same exact item listed on ebay or other comparable auction sites. Then I started to study particular items that would bring the higher prices. Interestingly enough, I noticed that the same items were re-listed over and over again, and the same bidders would continue to win each auction.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that the GoodWill staff were deliberately shill bidding from private accounts in order to fraudulently inflate the prices. When an item did not bring the desired prices, a goodwill staff member would outbid the high bidder, so they would not have to let the item go for less than expected. Who do they think they are? It doesn't take a genius to realize that when the same item at the GoodWill is selling for 3x more than on Ebay that something fishy is going on. Especially since Ebay consistently gets more traffic and should not be outdone by such a small site like GoodWill. What they are doing is fraud! They are playing off the allure of 'helping a charity' yet their entire inventory is free and they still continue to rip people off. They also mark their prices up sky high, which defeats the purpose of having a thrift store intended to help the poor.

To those of you complaining about ebay shill bidding, at least (poor as it may be) they have a governing body that works objectively between the buyers and sellers. ShopGoodwill has all the control and deliberately scams its customers.

It won't be long before other bidders catch on, which will eventually lead to their demise.

• Al
    Al4me Jun 14, 2010

Let me shed some light on this matter! I too worked in e-sales. Yes, management attempts to rip people off on shipping charges and far worse. If it were not for the hard efforts and constant haranguing of me and some co-works (who have a conscience) things would be worse then it is now, trust me! We peons are treated like dirt, mere machine cranking out labor for the ‘mission’; the mission of greed and arrogance. I have horror story after horror story about them knowingly selling counterfeit items. I’m sure Goodwill does do some good, but the ends never justify the means! And, treating customers and employees with contempt and interference is never right!! Buy and give somewhere else, stay way from all things Goodwill!

• Po
    polyesterview Jun 16, 2010

If I ever won the lottery, the 1st thing I'd do is build a store beside my hometown Goodwill store and call it The Better Will Store. I used to donate to goodwill, until I actually went into the store and realised I couldnt afford to buy my own items back. Now, I sort my items and clothes that I no longer need or want, put them in boxes, sit them in my front yard, up close the the road, and write FREE on the boxes. They are almost always taken within 2 hours and are always completely gone by the next day. I also encourage everyone I encounter to do the same. I go to every garage sale in town... so I encounter lots of people with things to donate.
    In defense of the employees, of the store in my town, I've gotten to know, and like them over the last 4 years and they arent happy with the things that go on in their store, but have no voice. And over the last 4 years, the manager is still just as snotty to me as the first time I walked in the door. She acts like she runs an antique or a high end clothing store. I try not to let it bother me and just pray about it. ...because I know that God has a payday and it's not every friday. God bless us all! :)

• Th
    theriotAHDN Aug 12, 2010

The biggest problem I have with Goodwill is that it's obvious that when they get items in, they sort through them, and anything valuable is either stolen, or put online, in order for them to make more money. It's not really charity. It's all one big scam. A lot of people who shop in their stores are less fortunate, and maybe they'd like to get something good instead of all the good things being taken and sold for huge profits online, while junk is put out on store shelves. It's ridiculous.

• Ba
    Barbara444 Sep 28, 2010

I have been a thrift store shopper for years and hit the shops several times a week purchasing as well as donating. This Thorndale Goodwill is REGULARLY one of the worst experiences I encounter.
    1. I tried to purchase a plate (max. $2. item). which was missing a price tag. I asked for a price...they TOOK IT from me, put it in the back, made me feel like I did something wrong by asking to buy it and would not SELL IT TO ME AT ALL! I pushed a little for a price, (I wanted to buy this plate) and received the following information...yes, the manager is in, yes, she prices items, no she will not do it on the spot to sell it to me, no you can not buy it period, it's their policy. Then they made comments to each other behind the counter about me while I was still brousing. OUCH!
    2. Another trip I asked to speak so someone about a reduction on price of an item that was high due to paint on the sleeve of the leather jacket. The manager came out...miserable attitude and extremely rude. In fact, she said if I didn't buy it at that price of $35., she was going to take it into the back and not sell it because it shouldn't be on the floor to sell anyway! WOW!
    Do yourself a favor, skip this place, drive another 10 minutes and go to the Goodwill in Exton on Route 100. You will enjoy the experience much better. They also have much better stock which makes sense according to the other comments. Thorndale does not have any decent interesting items and I have always wondered why...now I know. I do not donate there anymore even though it is 5 minutes from my home.

• Tj
    TJA4 Oct 13, 2010

Goodwill is a SCAM! I work there...at the HQ in the Seattle area. the top ex get a pretty penny and the managers; to get a healthy bonus they verbally abuse the employees...seem it over and over and over and over. They use Federal (and maybe state) money for there CCEP program and claim 'jobs change lives'. Ha, jobs sure change the lives of those on top. THEY ARE A 'CHARITY' SCAM! RUN from them!!! Ya, I've got names if you want to me to drop them... Mrs. Terry and Mr. Mark...

• 58
    583586 Oct 26, 2010

DO NOT DONATE ANYTHING TO THE CHURCHES!!! they get enough of a break with their tax breaks. what was that band in norway that burned churches? oh yeah all of them...heros in my eyes

• Vi
    VINTAGEMONKEY Feb 23, 2011

I HAVE WITNESS ON GOING THEFT OF A FAMILY OF FIVE THAT GOES TO VAN DAM OUTLET PER POUND IN
    LIC, VAN DAM NY AND PAYS FOR TWO CARTS AND SNEAKS OUT TWO CARTS. I HAVE REPORTED THEM AND
    TO NO AVAIL. SINCE THEY KNOW THAT MANY REGULAR CUSTOMERS HAVE NOTICE THEY STILL CONTINUE TO
    STEAL FILLING UP TRAVEL BAGS WITH ITEMS AND CARRYING OUT AS THEIR OWN BELONGING. IT IS SAD TO SEE THIS AS I COMMENTED TO ONE EMPLOYEE AND HE SAID HE CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABUT IT UNLESS
    MANAGEMENT TAKES ACTION. THIS FAMILY RESELLS AS I WAS INFORMED AND ARE VERY AGRRESSIVE AND COMBATIVE AS THEY HAVE HAD MANY FIGHTS WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS INCLUDING MYSELF AS I DO NOT
    LOWER MYSELF TO THEIR LEVEL OF USING VOLGAR SLURRS. THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY FEELING GUILTY AS
    THEY APPROACHED ME WAIVING A RECEIPT THAT THEY PAID. THE STUPIDITY OF IT ALL THAT ALL THE
    POUNDS WOULD NEVER MATCH THE RECEIPTS AMOUNT. I AM IN FEAR AND WILL SEEK ACTION AS FAR AS
    GOING TO THE POLICE TO FILE A REPORT ON THE VERBAL THEFTS AGAINST ME FOR HAVING DONE THE CORRECT THINGS.

• Lo
    lovedolphins Sep 30, 2011

I am in need now, i havent been able to find a job and my girls need school clonthes, they refuse to help me, when I called them, they said they"did not help the needy like that", they are a scam and a rip off", BBB should be involved in this million dollar scam!

• Ar
    army vet 0607 oif Mar 25, 2014

I want to sue goodwill. Why? My mom forgot to remove a shoulder bag that she was holding on to. She purchased what she like. Still in side store. Bag on her shoulder still. Security tells her go to the office. Calls sheriff. Mom gets arrested. Wtf! Long storystory mademade sshort. Who's a good lawyer

• Na
    Naundi68 Apr 29, 2014

This information should be provided to the Attorney General in that state for a full investigation.

• Hollister Evans Jun 27, 2014

If you feel your complaints are not being listened to at the local level, you should contact someone at Goodwill International. Most people do not know that Goodwill's are independently operated, much like a franchise operation.

You should contact someone at Goodwill Industries International, the organization that charters Goodwill's across the nation and the world.

Their website is www.goodwill.org

I hope this is helpfu.

andrew113 Jun 09, 2015

Goodwill is a big scam, I totally agree with all your comments. Ventura County Goodwill Inc Director of Operations and retail is a register sex offender and he oversea all stores in Santa Barbara and Ventura, he has employees selling Goodwill merchandise at the swapmeet in the Ventura County fair grounds. Do not donate anything to Goodwill, do your research, go to Ventura County Goodwill webpage and get the name of Goodwill Inc Director of Operations and retail, then enter his name in http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/ and you will see for your self and it goes deeper then expected, were city officials are sponsoring Goodwill Fraud.

Annette99 Jul 30, 2015

Please be aware that Goodwill's auction sellers (in my case their DENVER store) shipped two junk watches to me instead of the nearly $150 silver rings I bid on, won and paid for and...get this...told ME to try and get them back from the customer they inadvertently shipped them to!
    After reporting to my Credit Card provider, who asked me to send them all correspondence between myself and the Denver Goodwill store, the auction site immediately shut down my account so I could not retrieve or access any of the emails.
    They are horrible, dishonest people to deal with. Not that Goodwill had a good reputation anyway. And, despite what form of payment you choose to use, buyers have no protection against deceit and lies. Reporting them is a waste of time...they do NOTHING!
    Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere! At least you will receive what you paid for, it will be the item pictured and described and you will have some way of recovering your lost money when you receive the garbage they are selling.
    Someone needs to investigate this site and all the Goodwill stores participating in these scam auctions!
    PLEASE DON'T BE THEIR NEXT VICTIM!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices