Gold's Gym Green Bay, WIpromises of new club not fulfilled

Green Bay Gold's is a disgrace to this fine community. They moved into Green Bay in May 2008. They bought out an small, inferior existing club and billed this as a preview site and sold lots of contracts on a new club that they planned to build across the street. It's now October 2009 and they no concrete plans to build a new club. They have floated a number of plans of development and we still don't have a new club built. I was sold a two year contract on the verbal promise that a new club was going to be built within a few months. A major part of the sales process was the architectural diagram of the new club and all it's amenities. Also the verbal sales job that within a few months the new club would begin construction. Gold's got my money and signature on a contract through deception and possible fraud. Last February (2009) I asked to be let out of this contract because they deceived me in the sales process. They would not take the high road and let me leave and part as friends. No they are holding this bogus contract over me and have sent it to collection. Is there anybody out there in Green Bay who has been victimized by these bait and switch scam artists? I know that I have damages because of the collections being reported on my credit report. If there are more of us out here perhaps we may have a suit against them. It seems that Gold's only responds to the profit motive and not do what makes sense to maintain a good reputation in our community. It's no wonder this outfit has a 'F' rating from the BBB. Stay away from Gold's Green Bay. Contact me if you have been victimized and perhaps we can consult with an attorney. At the very least, make a contribution to this thread and make your voice be heard.

• Ab
    abbyj Oct 21, 2009

I had no problems getting my membership placed on hold for when the new gym opens. I found the staff (especially Amy) to be very helpful. I'm sooooo looking forward to FINALLY having a real gym in Green Bay! Hurry up Gold's Gym we need you!

• Ag
    Agreed in GB Nov 03, 2009

I had the my contract with Fitness America. When it was taken over by Gold's Gym they promised the new faculity within months. Everytime I ask the staff most tell me it will be done shortly.. Everything you mentioned is true. They promised Spring of 2009 completion and it's not even close to ever happening. i really wanted a faculity with a pool and that is why I stayed. Now I just want a faculity that is honest.

• Eb
    EBJGB Nov 19, 2009

I completely agree. I signed up with the expectation of soon having this fantastic gym and instead my expectations have gone completely unfulfilled. When I told the staff that I wanted to cancel my membership, I was treated very rudely and was told that was not a possibility. Why sould I keep my promise of fulfilling my contract with Gold's if they have not kept up their own promises? I would not recommend Gold's gym to anyone.

• Gr
    greenbay2010 Jan 20, 2010

golds gym in green bay sucks they are a rip off have horrible trainers who are out of shape and fat and are never building a new place can you say bait and switch i would love it for them to leave green bay!!!

• Gr
    greenbay2010 Jan 20, 2010

the golds gym in green bay is a disgrace to all gyms they are all used car salesman trying to sell memberships not health and most of the trainers are under qualified and very out of shape the head trainer jay christus is about 400lbs and very out of shape and has no right telling anyone how to train bottom line is dont go to golds gym green bay !!!

• Ke
    KellyA. Jan 24, 2010

I somewhat disagree with all the comments. Yes, they have promised a new gym, but with the economy, some things are out of their control. I will stay with Gold's because they have the best trainers around! Their trainers are very knowledgeable and have helped me shed almost 40 pounds! The other gyms in town just don't cut it, so I believe if we hang in there, we will get our great gym we are waiting for!

• Mi
    mikecarter Jan 13, 2011

The new gym is open, its fabulous, and they are now going to expand it. What do all of you negative nellies have to say now? You idiots get on these worthless blogs and puke out vitriol about good people and good companies with no idea how it impacts the employees who rely on the paychecks they earn from these companies to pay their bills. It's a flippin' $30 gym membership for petesake! Get a life! You make Green Bay look like a small hick town up north filled with rednecks and welfare cases.

• I signed up after the new gym was built, and therefore was not burned by the "new gym coming soon" promises. I do agree though that Gold's Gym in Green Bay Wisconsin is a fraudulent company out to gouge you with bait and switch tactics. They advertise super low rates and then sock you with a bunch of fees and before you know it, you're paying triple what they advertised. My $10/month membership sounded like an awesome deal, but now in my third month I have already paid over $130 including all the extra hidden fees (enrollment fee, processing fee, first months dues, last months dues, and club enhancement fees). Worse yet, what they said the membership included ended up to be a lie. I found out tonight when I brought my son in to work out with me. He just turned 12, and was excited because he was there with me when the the Gold's Gym employee, Ty, said that when he turned 12 he could work out with me for free until he was 16 at which time he would have to pay for his own membership. Ty was very clear about this, there was no mistaking what he said. So tonight, when the ladies at the front desk told me and my son that he couldn't work out unless he had a membership, I was sure they were mistaken and I asked if Ty was working so he could clear this up. Lucky for me, Ty was working tonight, unlucky for me, Ty is a liar. He looked me right in the eye and said he never said that. My son was really upset. A little upset because of not being able to work out with me, but more upset because he heard what Ty had promised and didn't understand how he could lie like that. I spent the ride home explaining to him what "bait and switch" tactics were. I guess he has to learn like I did. When something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you've read this and still want to become a member there, remember - ignore what they SAY, believe only what is WRITTEN. The type is tiny and the contract is long, but DO NOT SIGN it until you've read the entire thing. Get any questions you need answered in writing on the contract itself. I'm not a redneck or a welfare case and I disagree with Mike Carter that justifiably negative comments make people in Green Bay look like that. I'm just a honest guy working for an honest pay that is upset that I've been had. I should have known better, and I hope I can save one other person from making the same mistake I did.

• Gb
    gb1877 Feb 14, 2011

Gold's Gym is a joke. For all of you defending them try and cancel your membership and see how you feel then. My wife and I went in to check into a membership. We had our children put into their supposed "child care". After signing our paperwork for a membership we went back to get our kids. Our 2 year old son was walking around the room crying with his pants down, completely covered in his own urine and toilet water. Their employee there said she didn't know what to do. It's not so much she didn't know what to do as it was, NOBODY TOOK THE TIME TO ATTEMPT TO FIND US. If you don't know what to do wouldn't it make sense to find the parents at the very least? So, we immediatley decided to cancel the membership and off course it couldn't be done on the spot, we had to go throught their whole policy and send written notice to the cooropate office. Fine, we did all that and still) 1. Can't get a hold off anyone who apparently is able to use a computer and cancel a membership. 2. More than a month later we are now being charged for a membership that we BY LAW cancelled. I'm hoping our credit card company will remove the charges and take up this fight for us. If they don't I will exhaust all my resources to make as many people associated with Gold's Gym hate me.

• Le
    Leevh19 Apr 01, 2011

I too was scammed by the new gym ploy. I called every month to ask when the new place would open, and they would always tell me "next month, " or by XX date. When I finally figured out they were moving to another strip mall, I called again to complain and the swore it would be open on July 4th. I got my gym bag ready and decided just to be safe I'd call ahead. Guess what? They were not open yet. I was two months shy of fulfilling my TWO YEAR contract with them. I did manage to get out of only one month's payment. But the only reason I joined was because of the new facility. I was a very unhappy customer!!! And believe me, they knew it.

• Co
    Concerned in Hales Corners Jun 17, 2011

The owner of Appleton and Green Bay is opening a new gym in Hales Corners. They currently have the preview center set up with the architectural diagrams right next to where the facility will be. Unlike Green Bay, the gym has already begun construction and is currently in the duct work stage. They are offering the same month-to-month $10 or $19.99/mo for the Value Plus membership with the $49 processing fee and $29 annual fee. That's the only fees I'm aware of. I've reviewed the contract online from Appleton/Green Bay's website and can't seem where they would "get me". Since it's monthly, I'm confused how I would have problems cancelling. The only thing I can foresee is that they don't stop charging my card which I will then turn it over to my credit card company. I just want to go and loose weight without the high pressure sales pitch. I do not have a "friendly/approachable" attitude and don't think I will have any problems saying "no". I want to get the Value Plus membership (because it comes with tanning) but want to make sure I know ALL the little details & other fees (that I don't know about) that I'm sure they will fail to mention. Any help is appreciated.

• Su
    Susie2445 Jun 28, 2011

I signed up for Gold's in Hales Corners just two weeks ago and it really is just the $49 processing fee and $29 annual fee. I picked the Value Plus Membership though because I love Spin Classes! Love It!

• Gy
    gymlvr Jul 02, 2011

The sales persons do not work on commission at Hales Corners. There is no hidden contract, it is all month to month so you can cancel anytime with a 30 day written notice. The only fee is the one time processing fee which right now is $49, or if you wait to join it is a $99 enrollment fee and a $49 processing fee to join. You also have an annual maintenance fee of $29 every year, and your month to month charge at whatever plan it is you like. I do the $19.99 because I have been a member with Gold's before and the classes are worth it. The Hales Corners staff has walked through the construction and seen the stages of progress and it is coming along great. Perhaps GreenBay was one of the first they built where they didn't realize how long and what obstacles there might be.

• Co
    Concerned in Hales Corners Jul 15, 2011

Everything advertised sounds wonderful which is why I'm interested in joining in the first place. Yes, I know they are not on commission. However, the pressure the company puts on its employees is passed on to the customers. And they, along with their Financial company, are notorious for not withdrawing correctly and is no coincidence that is the ONLY way you can pay. Especially when it comes to cancelling your membership. There are horror stories about continuing charges even after providing written notice and other issues as well. Simply do a google search or wikipedia. I just wanted to hear from someone personally that already is a member and can reference their contract and/or cancelled to see what their experience was at these two other particular locations since it is the same Owner.

• In
    initialsSWH Aug 06, 2011

Don't be fooled by the $10/month thing you hear about in their ads. The business gets off on the wrong foot right away, because the last thing you learn right before you want to sign a contract for membership is that there is a $30 annual fee (???WTH???). There's some sob story about how this goes toward getting new equipment etc. OK fine, but advertise $12.50/month instead. This is a monkey trick.

Their ads in the newspapers or radio state in plain English $10/month... it ends up being $12.50/month w/ the $30 annual fee. OH and this doesn't even mention their other monkey trick of sign up fees. You MUST pay for your first and final month up front, so that's $20. Then there's some monkey trick "sign up fee" that varies, depending on their promotion. Wes (a decent enough human being) offered me the "Student Discount" so I only had to cough up $20 instead of $50. Apparently the Gold's company suffers a lot and has to offset its costs by adding you to their list of donors, so they hit you up for, in my case, $20 for the privilege of tithing $12.50 a month until they either raise the rates on you, or you cancel.

Regarding cancellation. Beware this monkey trick. They'll hit you up for the $30 "annual fee" (the one that for all intents makes your monthly fee = $12.50) preemptively. In other words, not after you've been there a year, but before. In my case they helped themselves to the $30 during my second month as a member. So if you decide to pull the plug, you're already out $40.00 (1st and last month mandatory up front) + $20-$50 registration + $30 annual. Basically if you change your mind within the first month and want to quit, you lost up to $120... Wait there's more monkey tricks.

You need to make up your mind within the first month that you're going to quit, and send them a letter before a month passes, IN WRITING, to their Appleton office. No you can't just drop it off at the desk in green bay. You need to ask them for a form at the Green Bay Gym, fill it out, purchase a stamp, and drop it in the mail with the correct address on it. The monkey trick about paying for your first and final month comes into play here. If you wait more than 30 days after you join, they'll help themselves to $10 more of your dollars, & your fiasco will cost you $130 instead of $120.

I joined Gold's on Oneida after I had been eyeballing it several months. I intended on joining over a year ago, but some unprofessional hack of an employee working the desk really revolted me. I didn't have my wallet with me and she demanded my drivers license. That's a fair enough, honest enough request, but the way she did it was so disgusting that I threw up in my mouth and didn't go back until about a year later. I guess I'm glad I waited because contracts were even more of a nightmare back then. I'd been using the gym @school, anyway.

This time I went b/c I was entering summer break from school so I already had it in my head I was signing up and I walked in early June, 2011 to do so. Lucky for yet another extremely rude and unprofessional hack at the front desk who told me they don't honor the 7 day passes, I already knew I was going to join regardless of how crass these hacks are. What's weird is, I printed this 7 day pass off of their GREEN BAY website, only to have some hack rudely inform me they don't honor them. Other than these gross encounters of the 3rd kind w/ their ghetto unprofessional staff, the gym itself is nice. I like the cardio cinema and their weight room is awesome. I generally ignore the creatures that troll around wearing "Golds Gym Staff" polos, with the exception of a few of them. The night time staff is pleasant: the buff dude at the desk (Brad?) and the Mexican cleaning guy. These guys are the reason I work out @night, they're chill and friendly. I avoid going during the day b/c it's crowded & u c a bunch of unprofessional a**holes running around in "Gold's Gym" polos.