Complaints & Reviews

over priced, poorly managed, and run down

Gold's Gym
www.goldsgym.com
4125 Old Denton Rd
Carrollton, TX 75010
[protected]

My complaint is about the Gold's Gym located in Carrollton, Texas. If anyone is considering a membership with them - DON'T DO IT!! First of all, I pay a higher monthly premium than I have paid with other gyms in the past, and that is with a one year commitment. I figured the premium was worth it because the location was central to work and home. I go to the gym Monday - Friday every morning at 5:00A. The gym opens at 4:30A, so there are many days I am the first to arrive. I will start my complaints with last month, July 2007. The gym has two water fountains, and at one point for over a week's time BOTH water fountains were broke! How does that happen? One broke in June, and it didn't seem like they were going to fix it, but then the second one broke in July and they finally decided to fix them both. For almost two weeks we were forced to bring our own water bottles and fill them with tap water from their refrigerator door if we needed a refill. If this was the only thing that happened, I would be fine, but let me continue. This month (August 2007) there have been two occasions where I got to the gym only to find that it was not open. That's right - I got my butt out of bed at 4:45A and drove to the gym, only to sit in the parking lot for an hour and go home - TWICE! It happened on Aug 8, 2007 and Aug 17, 2007. Obviously this gym does not have their stuff together. There are also little things, like we have not had working televisions at all this week. The entire time I am on the treadmill or elliptical, I am forced to stare at a screen full of static. Did they not pay their cable bill? Also, they offer tanning, but only when the beds are working. It is an additional $29 per month on top of the $49 I pay now. I would hate to be the one paying $29 for tanning knowing that the beds don't work half the time. That about sums up my complaints, in summary - don't go to the Gold's Gym in Carrollton. They are over priced, poorly managed, and run down.

• Ro
    Ron Mar 18, 2008

I agree with this gentleman 100%, about everything. Fortunately, they just announced the other day they are closing down!!! Don't you love it when a business run by idiots goes BK?

poor hygienic conditions

About 12 years ago when I first stepped into the Gold's Gym Club in San Diego - CA located in the vicinity of SDSU, where I was studying, I was fascinated. That gym was huge, sparkling, and gorgeous.

I have recently moved from Aurora IL (a suburb of Chicago) to San Antonio TX.

I got a membership at the Gold's Gym #0782, located at 1602 Babcock Rd San Antonio, TX 78229.

The equipment is OK, although it is never cleaned. When I entered the women showers room I felt like throwing up. The showers are not just dirty, they are FILTHY !!! During the 10 days I've been attending the Gold's Gym at Babcock, I have seen the same trash, in the same position, everywhere on the women showers floor. All the shower drains are clogged with accumulated hair and trash.

There is stagnating water on the floor.

I felt I had joined the third world, ... maybe the fourth one ! I am a sport woman. I regularly attend a gym to keep healthy, NOT TO CATCH A DISEASE!!!

I am going to report these extremely poor hygienic conditions to the Better Business Bureau. They probably can advice on contacting the Bexar County building inspector for an evaluation of this club.

It's a real shame that some clubs in San Antonio are so poorly maintained so as to spoil the reputation of the Gold's Gym that used to be the top of the line!

I wonder whether they are waiting for an outbreak of Salmonella, Cholera, and so on ...

Sincerely,

Maura Edelweiss Monville

terrible experience!

My husband and I came in feb 06 to sign up for membership. The first thing we asked if my husband was to get orders to deploy or pcs will this affect our contract.

They stated it won't be a problem bring the orders in from the army. They put me as primary person knowing I don't have a job and I was a full-time student. They also stated it does not matter they will freeze the acct with the orders. That day came when my husband got deployed to Irag I brought in the order on 12/28/06. The person who took my orders stated it will take 30 days to freeze it for free. Gold's gym took out the money when my acct was suppose to freeze and customer service stated they never received any orders from the killeen business. I called again after talking to the manager in killeen about the situation then they changed the story stating it was deny due to me being the primary person on it. The orders does not pertain to us because my son and I did not get orders to go to Irag only my husband and since he was an add on they can't freeze my acct. When a customer service representative called me back and stated she is willing to do me a favor since my contract won't be up until feb of 08 she will break the contract. Killeen manager stated to her they only sell 1 year contract and what was on the screen is not right. I requested to get a copy of my original contract but they stated it will take a few weeks for me to get it. They also mentioned that since the order don't pertain to me they can freeze my acct for $10.00 a month and have to pay for it up front. I believe they are taking advantage of our military people saying one thing to get us into a contract then when duty calls they back off. I am tired of business here in killeen taking advantage of our military families and especially when your spouses gets deployed.

• Ro
    Ross Marshall Dec 24, 2007

Gold's is pretty well known for screwing their members. GymX has one of the best reputations in the industry.

• Cr
    crystal fraser Feb 04, 2008

Yeah gyms are scammers... im going through the same thing but i just told them that i will take them to court... and the military offers jag for the spouses also which is free legal advice and help.. you might want to try that..thats what im going to do...

james Apr 08, 2008

man i use to work for this company. they dont care bout anyone.go spectrum Xd.

• Gr
    Graciela Barrientos May 07, 2008

I know what you feel, my sister did the same thing in Colorado, she gave them all the information to cancel the contract and the staff "Never got it" Isn't that a surprise.
    My advice to all military members DO NOT open accounts with Gold Gym or Bally, they do not support our troops or their families, get it, they DON'T care for us, my husband has being in the military for 20 years, in which i had travel with him in USA and Europe, and trust me, none of the Gyms off post care for the soldiers they only want their money! We have free gyms on post, take advantage of it, and maybe in the future this anti patriotic business would get a hint, we are sacrificing already enough.

• Sg
    SGTFury Apr 06, 2009

Gym X is no better. Similar stories, similar scams; I have been through the mill with them.

• Fe
    FedS Jul 04, 2009

Gym X is really bad also, I had to show up with a lawyer to these ### to stop charging me.

• Tm
    TMM1 Mar 01, 2010

Although I did not work there in 06 I started in may of 08, I worked for Golds Gym. I was a membership advisor, but I know the whole system. Heres the deal just so you know. They do not scam in fact its super easy, people just dont listen, and if you sign any contract you should always keep a copy. First off, they are right they can not freeze your portion or your sons portion of the membership, why would they you guys are not getting deployed! Just because your spouse is, you are going to stop working out, thats a good plan, NOT! If you guys were going to move while hes gone thats fine all you need is proof of a new place that is not 25 miles from a golds gym corp. Then your memberships are canceled. Your husbands orders can cancel or freeze his account. Golds Gym is not a locally owned little gym is a world wide gym they have over 675 locations so ya, its take 30 days for the gy to send off the forms and the corp. office to cancel or change anything. We are not here to scam anyone not even the army, my husband is in the army, Pretty much all the employees are tied to the army that do wokr in the Killeen location, so thats dumb of you to think, but its a good sympothy card to pull. If they told you they could never find the paper work, all you have to do is prove your husband has not been here, its called back paying they do it all the time when papers go missing, it happens. Everyone and every places miss places things. ALSO when you cancel or freeze a membership you have to fill out a form, yet again you get a copy that can also be used as your proof. If your husband is in the army you should know how to be organized and how to keep up with important documents. Its easy to do things through Golds Gym, they are not out to steal money, the Killeen gym makes millions of dollars its one of the top producing gyms, they dont need to steal money from one person 75 dollars or so is not going to kill them. Its nice to have atleast one crporation ran gym in a town, Killeen actually needs more. They have gym x who seriously is way worse, they went through a total of 5 managers in one year. thats how bad it is. They have free gyms on post, but most want to leave the army when they are off work, and they have a rec. center just recently built, its a nice gym, not as much to offer then Golds but its nice, can only have so many members though. Dont dog a gym when you are also in the wrong. PS Killeen is a corporation gym, all you have to do is call the corporation number and you go over the killeen staffs head. its super easy Killeens Golds Gym, properly ran.

• Ra
    rachmcg Dec 14, 2010

I am going through this with another gym My husband is deployed and I am unable to get to the gym now since I get home at 7pm and my husband always made diner and had my daughter HW work done before I got home and I would take her with me to the gym b/c they had a kid zone for her to go till which closed at 9pm but since he is gone now I am unable to go to the gym b/c when I get home at 7pm I have to cook dinner and make sure her HW is done before we go anywhere which by this time is already 9pm. The gym will not allow me to cancel my membership even when I was willing to pay the cancelation fee give them a copy of the orders and write a letter for them about why I need to cancel but they still say I cannot cancel my membership unless I medically am unable to come for more than 30 days or I move away where there is no gym. What BS. You think they would consider that I am having a hard time as it is that My husband I going to be away from me and my 7 yr old daughter for 13 months and missing birthdays Christmas, thanksgiving and our anniversary. What is wrong with these people anymore? What 911 is long over so they think they should care less about our men and woman that are still fighting and the families that are still alone.

• Kd
    kdb4 Dec 29, 2010

TMM, you are just someone who works there, of course you are going to support everything about it!! Gold's Gym is way too over priced and it definitely rips you off!! Really the only thing that matters is you have more customers unhappy than happy and you are in the customer service business!! Don't tell someone who has a spouse deployed and kids and still has to run a household to be more organized. That is not good customer service. Technically you are talking to the customer and in my book and how it used to be run is the customer is always right. That no longer exists. Gold's makes millions because it goes out of its way to take every penny out of its customer.

• Mm
    MMA World Sep 26, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen. No need to worry. There will be a new gym opening in Killeen very soon. It will be a gym you can trust and a gym you will love. This will be set up for all ages. It will not be a gym for just the men and women but for the whole family. For you fighters out there, please come and enjoy the benifits of work with real MMA fighters from Brazil. The MMA World is coming to Killeen Texas soon. Who wants to try to be the next UFC, or Strike Force Champion. Ladies, don't worry. This gym is not just for the guys. We will have personal trainers for the work out and results you want. We will train and teach anyone and everyone who wants to learn. More will come and just watch for us. Since I am prior Military, I will make sure that my fellow soldiers and family memebers are taken care of.

very bad experience!

My experience with Golds gym in San Diego was nothing like any other gym I have ever been to in my life. The...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices