Menu

G
Author of the complaint
12:45 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Company sent out ad (see photso) of $19.99/month memberships (with some restrictions). Also says "Believe it. No Commitments. No Gimmicks. No Kidding."

I go to sign my wife up for this deal and ask what the restrictions are - the membership person tells us that there are two clubs in the area that she would not be able to use. I ask if that is all of the restrictions and he says yes. So I say I want to sign her up for the $19.99/month special, at which time he states that there is a $300 initiation fee. I show him the advertisement and that it does not say anything about an initiation fee. He responds that "at $19.99 per month we would have everybody working out here." Another membership manager said "we put that ad together to get people in the door. If we put the initiation fee on there, nobody would show up."

View 0 more photos

Gold's Gym - dangerous daycare
6 comments
A
Jul 20, 2017 12:45 am

I have been reaching out to the Gold's Gym in Santa Ana, CA for the past few months and trying to reach someone to sign up has been ridiculous. I actually had to go in physically to ask questions about offers because no one calls back. When I received a competitive offer from another Gold's Gym, they completely ignore my texts/messages.

I then receive a marketing email about a 2 day special for $19.87/month and bring a friend/family for free for 1 year. When calling to inquire about this, I had to try three times at about 1 hour intervals and was told that the consultants were busy. After being a bit annoyed at the situation, the person at the front said that someone was available all of a sudden.

When asking about the rate with the all of a sudden free consultant, he stated that there's a $79 enrollment fee. I said, nothing on the email had any notice about an enrollment fee to start up (no asterisk, etc.). I don't even see anything on their own site about the $79 enrollment fee connected to the promo. All he says is "well, that's just the marketing email... it comes with a $79 enrollment fee". Pretty much not giving a s**t since I'm just another number to him anyways.

So disregard those "FLASH SALE! FLASH SALE!" emails since it's pretty much false advertising I would suppose (going to be looking into that later).

Unfortunately, I am pretty disappointed at the way this gym does business; although, this review probably doesn't matter either. Just another number to them anyways.

View 0 more photos

Deceptive Advertising. The $300 is not going to the $10 month. So, you
get something like this $280 up-front, $39.99 card fee, $49.99 yearly
enrollment fee, and then $10/month ($120/year). So, you are looking at
PROBABLY? $500 / $600 to enroll when they claim $10/month. It's
deceptive and dishonest. They should have to disclose those numbers in
the Billboard ad.

D
Aug 10, 2016 12:45 am

Same thing with me. Says memberships for $10/month, but they don't let you know about the near $300 joining fee, $30 card fee, $50 paperwork fee or whatever. By time all is said & done, you would spend about $600 for first year ($600 - $120 [12 months at $10] = $480 or so). $480 fees above the $10/month. Deceptive advertising and dishonest comparison ads to other local gyms.

E
May 03, 2012 12:45 am

* Weight Training exercises I could do with a Weight Trainer*

E
May 03, 2012 12:45 am

Yeah, they scamed me too! Get this, the GM approached me and told me that it is "required for memebers to get an assessment" . So, I went to my assessment, and he scared me about the health risks because of my weight and then he buttered me up and told me they could help me and they got me motivated and recommened Weight Training exercises I could do. Next thing I knew it was a BIG SCAM to pay that gym more money! Know how much? A grand total or 3, 080.00! I am so pissed at them I have half of a mind to quit that God awful gym! That was very shady of them to do that! I AM A VERY PISSED OF MEMBER!

R
Oct 17, 2011 12:45 am

"I sincerely hope they face a class-action lawsuit from all those people who signed up because of this blatantly false advertising claim." - That has got to be the most ridiculous sentence I have seen in quite awhile.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

390 complaints