Menu
General Motors
reviews & complaints

General Motors
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

1415 complaints
65 resolved 1350 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of General Motors. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
2:06 pm EDT

General Motors - Chevrolet Dealership Service

Had an 8:30 appointment to have my oil changed on my 2015 Silverado @ Sterling McCall Chevrolet in Houston, TX. I pulled into the service area at 8:33. A ported told me my service rep. was with another customer ahead of me and would be with me shortly. I stood there for 25 minutes. I asked twice "how much longer it would take or if another service rep. could take my truck." My service rep. walked through the door at 8:57 with a tray full of Starbucks. Obviously, I had been lied to. This is the third time this dealership hasn't had their act together. I first being when the service rep scheduled an appointment when my parts would be in to replace the air conditioning unit. When I arrived, not only were the parts not in, they had no record of my appointment even though I showed them the email I had received from them. The second time I was called and told my truck was complete. When I got there the service rep was yelling at the service technician because she had said my truck was not complete and they had missed one of the items that needed to done. I waiting 45 minutes for them to finish. She wouldn't tell me what it was so I had no way of knowing if it was ever really done. I have been a loyal GM customer for over 30 years. Until today, I was going to get purchase another Silverado from the dealership and had a quote for my trade in. I no longer want another GM product because of the terrible customer service your dealership's service departments provide.

Desired outcome: I really don't have any desired outcome. I just want to let you know, why a loyal customer for over 30 years will no longer buy General Motors products.

B
11:04 am EDT

General Motors - Faulty radio

I bought my 2018 Chevy sonic new in April 2018 from Advantage Chevrolet in countryside IL. When I took my car back there to have the oil changed at 5,000 miles, I asked them to look at the radio because it was shutting off by itself and the backup camera had gone grainy, not a sharp picture like it usually is. They told me the radio just needed an update and it was fine when I left. I had the same problem at about 15,000 miles and took it back to the same dealership, and same outcome. I started having the same problems again with the radio at about 24,000 miles but it was getting worse, the radio switches on the steering wheel were becoming unresponsive, the radio would shut off and I would have to turn off the car and restart to get the radio back on. This time I took it to Campbell Chevrolet in Bowling Green KY, my local dealership. They also told me it just needed an update and the radio was working fine when I left. Now, at 55,000 miles the radio had been having the same old issues for a while but it was never a big inconvenience until the radio stuck on. I tried to turn it down, off, change stations but nothing worked, not even shutting the car off and exiting the vehicle. When I got home I called the dealership and they said to pull the fuse and bring the car in, which I did on 11/15/21. At this point they told me that my radio was bad and needed replacement at a cost of $986.00 plus labor. I was naturally upset because this was the fourth time I had taken my car in for this problem but now, only when my car is past warranty, do they want to change the radio. They also charged me $106 to have the technician install my fuse and listen to the radio play for an hour. I have a conversation on my dash cam between the tech and the service manager talking and my car sitting there with the radio on and no one working on it. The service manager made some rude comments and told the technician that he was going to give me my car just like I brought it in, without the fuse in it. When discussing the issue with me, he never said that the technician couldn't replicate the problem, that once the fuse was installed the radio seemed to operate normally. What he should have done was advise me on what the tech did, that my radio was now functioning normally and that the problem could return at any time and give me the option to purchase a new radio or wait until the problem came up again. He just told me my radio was junk and needed to be replaced. The radio should be replaced under warranty as I had brought the car in 3 times before with similar issues but no one wanted to warranty it out then, only did they decide it needed replacement when it was at customer cost!

Desired outcome: My radio should be replaced under the original factory warranty at no cost as I had the problem basically since the car was brand new and had to be serviced 3 times under warranty for this issue.

Update by Bruce Good
Mar 21, 2022 11:39 am EDT

I have owned my 2018 Chevy Sonic since new and have never let anyone else drive the car except dealer personnel during service. Since new I have always had my car serviced at licensed Chevy dealerships. My first oil change was at Advantage Chevrolet in countryside IL where I bought the car. I had an oil change done in March of 2020 while I was in Florida at Love Chevrolet in Inverness FL. The rest of my oil changes have been done at Campbell Chevrolet in Bowling Green KY. I had an issue during my last oil change at Campbell Chevy. I had just returned from a trip to Florida and by the time I arrived at home in KY, my oil life monitor was showing 2%. I called Campbell Chevy and scheduled an oil change for 9/22/21. When I took my car there, I watched the dash the whole way to make sure my oil life monitor didn't drop to zero ( 2% was bad enough ). They changed my oil but this time while waiting they tried to sell me tires and new brake pads. I had already replaced 2 of the tires and was a former mechanic so I declined the services as I would complete them myself. When leaving, not even a block away I noticed the check engine light on so I went right back to the dealer. They said it was on when it came in, but funny no one mentioned that to me when trying to sell me tires or brakes, it seems something wrong with the engine would be at the top of the list. the check engine light was NOT ON as I would have noticed because it is right next to the oil life monitor on the dash. They took the car back in and said it was a engine coolant sensor gone bad, I again declined service as this is something easily changed at home, and again told them the check engine light was not on when I arrived. I changed the sensor a few days later and hooked up my scan tool to reset the error code, but it came right back telling me there was still an issue with the temp sensor. Since I don't drive the car much I let it sit so i could research the issue. I recently had to take another trip to Florida and didn't want to take a long trip with a possibly serious problem so I asked a mechanic about the issue and he told me some of the small GM cars have 2 temp sensors, one in the block and one in the radiator, so I went home to check. Sure enough it was there but in taking pictures to figure how to go about unhooking wires and removing the sensor I noticed some cut wires. There is a loom running down the body that is clipped in place and then travels about 16 inches to the radiator sensor. It appears someone tried several times to cut the wires at the sensor connection, as they would be obscured by the radiator hose. When this failed they chose to cut the wires at the loom just below the retaining clip as to also obscure the cuts. My car only had 55,000 miles and this is in an area where nothing could fly up from the road and cause the damage and there are no moving parts that could have come loose, and the wires themselves were still secured in place and not flopping about. Its sad that a dealership will resort to creating work by damaging customer vehicles all because they choose not to have additional services performed when getting routine maintenance work.

D
8:26 am EDT

General Motors - Being charged for a service that did not work in my vehicle

I took my car to Brown Daub Nazareth Pa. My hands free calling wasn't working.They couldn't find anything wrong and charged me 214.26. I left the lot and tried to call my friend and nothing but static on I thank you for listeningher end. when someone calls me its clear. I can't call out. My son hooked up 3 different Iphones and they all did the same thing.I just don't feel I should have been charged when it wasn't fixed.I believe it's in the steering wheel somewhere.

Desired outcome: I'm hoping to be refunded for something that wasn't fixed, I thank you very much..I can't afford to throw money away . thank you again for listening to my complaint

A
1:37 pm EDT

General Motors - A 2019 trax

We had a Chevy trax 2019 and it stalled almost killing us im stlouis took into granite city Weber where we got the car they come out telling us the turbo backed up and now the motor is blown so we reach out to get help with this from gm where it went no where it’s hard to pay a 650 car payment for a car wirh a blown motor and can’t drive it to get to where we need to go work dr appt etc so we had no choice to let them repo it and get a diff car well now they want there money and still have the car

11:23 am EDT

General Motors - Mike Terry dealership Mexia tx

on 01/24/2022 I purchased a 2022 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 from Mike Terry dealership in Mexia tx. They did not have the truck there It showed to be in transit. We were told it would be there in 2 to three weeks, my wife questioned them about what happened if it was not there by the time the first payment was due. We were told by the sells man and the finance person that they would pay the payment until we got the truck. Here it is 03/15/2022 we don't have the truck we have had to make a payment on it doesn't look like the dealership is going to honor what they told us and make the payment. They have given us the run around through the whole purchase of this vehicle, told us many different tales as to where the truck is, we feel as if we are being lied to. Now they tell us the truck is still at the factory? My wife was contacted over a month ago by siriusXM that the radio had been turned on.

Desired outcome: I want the dealership to make the payments like they said they would until they get our truck to us. I want the dealership to quit giving us the run around and get our vehicle to us.

7:06 am EST

General Motors - General Motors customer service

April 2016 we were conned by a GM dealership. They used the GM pre-owned certification to do that. We spent over a year trying to get GM to do anything about it. GM used the excuse that they have no control over dealerships. We found that to be not true. Over time and many calls, we found out GM has a company wide rule that does not allow anybody, dealerships included, to help or assist a customer with this matter. We sent letters to Mary Barra and Jeffery Taylor asking for help. Mary passed her letter to the help center. These people get all the phone calls directed to GM, and by their own admission are not allowed to help. The person Mary sent her letter to is one of many I had spoken to earlier. After going thru the steps they use to make you think they are trying to help, I was told again "we are not allowed to help". Then he added if he had any authority he certainly would have done something. Jeffery just called an outside attorney to contact me posing as a GM employee to stall us off for over six months and then admitted he had done nothing to help. We have copies of all the letters that go into much more detail. There is a lot more info we have that explains how wrong this is. You may contact me at 765-969-4051.

Desired outcome: We just want some form of respect from GM. We would like them to stop lying about dealing with a dirty dealership.

P
11:19 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

General Motors - The factory paint job is defective.

My 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 has paint coming off right above the windshield. It is a 3/8" strip in a perfect line came off and is now receding even further upward. My family's business was automotive paint and detail supplies. The dealer said there was no recall on the problem. My dodge pu prior to the Silverado was 18 years old and the paint was never parked inside a garage and the paint looked new. The dealer also told me it's going to cost me almost $1800 to repaint the roof of my pickup. I'm 70 years old and that is a lot of money 💰. Back when I dealt with the public and painters and the problems the could pop up from time to time the manufacturers would acknowledge problems and try and maintain PR with consumers and would help and split the costs and sometimes obsorb the interest repair. This is a initial application problem where the paint did not adhere to primer or surface.

Desired outcome: At least help with the costs of repainting the roof.

C
12:24 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

General Motors - GMC dealership retaining deposit after new truck order was cancelled

Jan. 18th, 2022, I ordered a 2022 GMC Denali 1500 from Poage Auto Plaza, Quincy Illinois. On February 22nd, 2022, I contacted the GMC dealership to check on the status of the new truck order and I was told it hadn't been ordered but I am now 3rd on the list for new truck orders. I cancelled the order and requested my deposit be returned. Poage Auto Plaza dealership told me they do not return deposits even though the truck was never ordered. I ordered a new 2022 from another dealership and now I am requesting Poage Auto Plaza dealership to return my $500 deposit. I do have a receipt for the $500 deposit and a cancelled check showing I paid the deposit.

Desired outcome: Deposit returned or I am given a $500 discount towards the new 2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate1500 I ordered.

J

General Motors - Lifter failure on 5.3 engine 2019 Sierra becomes complete engine failure

Good afternoon,

I have a 2019 SIerra with a 5.3 engine with 78,000 miles. Up until last week, it was a great vehicle. Out of nowhere, I suddenly had a real bad misfire, scary sounding ticking sound and a flashing check engine light. Onstar then told me I needed immediate service. I brought to the nearest dealer and they diagnosed as bad lifters. Once they had it apart, they said the camshaft was damaged and the engine needed either a complete rebuild or replacement. They opted for replacement. The total bill for the repair is over $12000. This happened 4 hours from home while on a business trip requiring a rental car during the duration of the repair.

GM has offered to help with the cost, In spite of being out of warranty, no one should have an engine failure with only 78,000 miles. Out of warranty at this point should mean an alternator, waterpump or brakes. I have owned 15 GM vehicles the last 13 have lasted over 200,00 miles. That is what I have come to expect.

This vehicle was serviced at a local dealership religiously using the proper Dexos oil. It was properly serviced. The mileage is 80% highway miles. Again, there is no reason for this type or repair being needed outside of a true manufacturing defect.

I would like complete reimbursement for the repair. Rental reimbursement would be nice, but I can live with that cost.

I am in the heavy truck parts business and talk to many, many people with pickups. this needs to be resolved properly, or I will become a Ford or Ram customer and everyone will know why.

Desired outcome: Complete reimbursement for the repair.

11:25 am EST

General Motors - Needing support abroad.

We have a situation where a vehicle was brought in by a user for its very

first service, a 2021 Chevrolet Suburban. Mileage at service submission was

11,175 km, which is 1,175 km over the 10,000 km stipulated by the

contractor, not General Motors. My research finds that General Motors

prescribes that service be completed at 7,500 miles, which is 12,070 km. The

contractor is now attempting to state that the U.S. Government has voided

the warranty on the vehicle.

Any help provided to the situation would be great.

Desired outcome: I would like someone to contact me back as soon as possible

3:06 pm EST

General Motors - 09 Chevy HHR

So disappointed in Chevy and GM in general. I have an HHR where myself and several other HHR owners have had the same problems which clearly indicates a necessary recall but nothing has been done.

My gas line rusted in the same exact spot as everyone else I’ve found with the same problem.

Now also there’s a problem/problems with my manual transmission with the shifter assembly, again countless others having the same issue. The only thing Chevy did about it was discontinue the parts I need. I won’t even go into all the other more minor issues with this car. Truly unacceptable. I will not be buying General Motors products any longer.

Desired outcome: At the very least provide the parts.

N
1:24 pm EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I bought a 2019 Chevy Traverse NEW. It only took a few months for the paint on the hood and front of vehicle to chip in multiple spots. I scheduled an appointment when it started to really get bad and was told that I was just outside of my warranty. I told them that I was not out of warranty when I scheduled the appointment and not my fault that they...

S
7:34 pm EST

General Motors - Transmission

2015 GMC Sierra Denali

Transmission replaced at approximately 52,000 miles under a customer purchased independent warranty with a transmission from GM.. No cost to GM. Within a week the transmission disengages at times between shifts. Revving to 3500 - 4000 rpms. At approx 3,000 rpms it slams back into gear. Does this very intermittently and tough to duplicate so the dealer can confirm there's a problem. GM won't do a dang thing about this issue until the problem is duplicated with the dealer. Great way to treat your customers GM. No wonder you continue to have so many complaints on line about your transmissions. Admit you have a problem and fix it. Anyone else having this issue please message me.

[email protected]

Desired outcome: Fix the transmission

W
3:07 pm EST

General Motors - Cadillac XT5

The black panels that separate the front and rear windows are peeling. The rear window is framed front and back. These panels are peeling, much to my dismay. It started peeling approximately the beginning of January 2022 or there about.

For servicing I take it to Findley Cadillac in Henderson, Nevada 89014.

This is my 3rd vehicle, I love my Cadillac and I take excellent care of it. I’m very proud to drive it and grateful to own it. I receive many compliments on it. People think it’s beautiful and love the color.

Kindest regards,

Toni Lewallen

702-580-9617

Desired outcome: I would really appreciate GM replacing those panels, restoring my car to its beautiful state.

A
10:14 am EST

General Motors - 2022 Cadillac Escalade

I found an escalade online yesterday with an MSRP of $102,475. After being told by their inventory manager it was available for sale, I expressed I wanted to purchase it and would be in at my appt time of 1:00. I arrived, test drove it in the parking lot and requested we begin the paperwork for purchase. After several minutes, the 15 year sales person came in with a new price on a sheet of paper...which was nearly $144,000! After expressing my shock and disgust, I was told it was a market adjustment/supply and demand. The sales person claimed he would speak to his manager but then was told they just sold the car to someone who sent money through a wire transfer. Now mind you, they knew I was there to purchase the car but I refused to pay $41+ over sticker price. Here we are today, the next day, and the same exact car, stock #C38262, is still listed on their website but now priced at $127,475 with an addendum. The addendum lists a $25,000 mark up for supply and demand. I have saved screen shots of everything. This remains price gouging, which GM discourages, and GM said as much on a price gouging story on the Today show this morning but is well under the $41+presented to me yesterday. Consumers can make complaints directly to GM of dishonest sales practices and price gouging. I am not sure why Crest Cadillac would not sell me this car at the listed MSRP but wanted to warn anyone else what Crest Cadillac may try to pull on you. But maybe its just females they do this to. Buyers beware. I checked with other Cadillac dealers in Texas and they expressed only a $10K mark up at most.

Desired outcome: Nothing from this dealership but GM needs to be made aware of Crest's price gouging.

9:41 pm EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I bought a used 2015 Chevy Silverado that I ended up finding out had a recall on a Takata airbag that is, essentially, a shrapnel grenade. In the event of deployment the airbag will launch shrapnel into the cab and potentially cause death or bodily harm to the occupants. A little background info...Takata was fined into bankruptcy for distributing faulty...

G
8:04 pm EST

General Motors - Miami Lakes Chevrolet Hialeah, Florida 33014 for false advertising.

On Sunday 2/14/22, I found a 2022 ZL1 Camaro for sale on Autotrader at Miami Lakes Chevrolet. I went to Miami Lakes website, it showed MSRP, as well as a discounted amount (see attached screen shots). I also went to a calculator based on Miami Lakes price, and had it calculate price with taxes. I forwarded email to Miami Lakes, with my information, saying I wished to purchase the car. I then received a call from Adam Marcus Internet Customer Relations Manager, who informed me that was not the price of the car. He told me it was $10,000 more, which I said that is false advertising. He then transferred me to another sales rep(?), who did not give me his name, he also told me that the price was 10 to 15, thousand more than advertised. I also responded that this was not the advertised price. I asked him why, which he could never give an answer for. He kept changing the subject to shortages of ZL1s, we can sell the car at whatever price they wanted to, car was in transit, which I kept bringing him back then why was it advertised like that on Miami Lakes site. Which he could not ever answer. I hope GM does not condone this type of false advertisement of their product. All other dealers I have looked at either say, price increase over MSRP, or contact dealer for adjusted price, which is the way this should be handled, not advertising in a false manner. I hope GM will reprimand Miami Lakes for poor and actually illegal activity when it comes to advertising. Thank you for reviewing this

Garry Lawson

Desired outcome: An apology from Miami Lakes, and a truthful explanation, at minimum, and new ZL1 at MSPR at the most.

5:48 pm EST

General Motors - Sweeney GM dealership Boardman Ohio

Sweeney Review

This review is for their service dept only. They over book on appointments! Do not offer appointments which are prompt! Keep people waiting longer than any doctors office i have been in before (4 hr.) to change oil and put auto on OBD ll ! Once on OBD ll was told about a sensor being bad but they have to order it in. The female in the service dept arguing with customer and making excuses about why it took 4+ hours to accomplish this with the customer! She was not even the service person I was dealing with ! Never would I recommend having your car serviced there unless you pack a lunch and over night bag! Now we are being told that Sweeney will not deal with us again on any service issue, even the extended warranty~! Was told I was cussing at them, not true! Lying about what was said, not honoring the warranty they sold a customer will for sure make me and all the friends I tell how the Sweeney dealership is in Boardman Ohio. I wonder what Dough Sweeney thinks?

John

330 306 8394

Desired outcome: Not Sure

Update by repairman11233
Feb 14, 2022 5:51 pm EST

Very poor business. Make me and friends I tell to think before buying another vehicle from there or GM

D
1:25 pm EST

General Motors - I'm being charged for my free oil changes!!

i have a 2021 chev 3 liter diesel. i put it in last friday for an oil change, window wipers changed and a rear shocked inspected. i was charged 130$ for my second oil change cause they say it expired.i was told 2 free oil changes when i bought it. even though my truck was still 15 % life left, which is what i was going by. and the fact that when you make an appointment here it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get your truck in. i questioned the service tech and was told there is nothing he can do about it. to top it all off i was charged only 18 $ labour for an oil change but was charged 30$ labour to change my windiw wipers! this makes no sence at all! we live in a remote area {labrador city, nl canada} and there is just one dealer and our service is shit!

Desired outcome: my oil change should be free as said when i bought it! and 30$ to change the wipers?

E
4:01 pm EST

General Motors - complimentary service

we purchased a 2021 Encore last February from Golling and we were told that our first service would be complimentary. We moved from Oxford to Wyandotte and I was told the complimentary service could be performed by any dealer. The closest to us is Moran in Taylor. My wife called and made an appointment. On the day of the appointment they called my wife to make sure the lug nut key was left in the console. After she spent 15 minutes looking for it we determined we don't have locking lugs. Once she arrived for her appointment she was informed that the complimentary service had expired February 1st. Ironically my interest in purchasing another GM product expired at the same time. Interestingly, they waited until she arrived in person to let her know she would have to pay. I hope your profit margin is really high on an oil change . . . .

Ed Schilling