The complaint has been investigated and
resolved to the customer's satisfactionResolved Geek Squad — geek squad destroyed my hard drive
resolved to the customer's satisfaction
In October 2008, I bought a new Mac Book Pro from Best Buy. Because of the environment that my computer would be exposed to, I bought an extended warranty which included accidental insurance. The contract stated that if my computer needed repair, I must return it to Best Buy (not Apple) so that it could be repaired by the Geek Squad. In December, my computer experienced its first accident which damaged the keyboard. Nothing was wrong with the hard drive and the computer was still functional although some of the keys were sticking. After continuing to use the computer for two months, I decided to take it in for repair. The Geek Squad decided that it couldn't be repaired and that it should be replaced with a new computer. THEY PURPOSELY DESTROYED THE WHOLE COMPUTER, HARD DRIVE AND ALL, since they were replacing it. They never contacted me first to see if I wanted to back up the hard drive. Since I thought the keyboard could be replaced, I didn't bother to back up the most recent data. When I complained, they told me that if I had read the small print, I would have understood that that was their policy (to destroy the hard drive). The day that I took the computer in for repair, there were over ten impatient customers standing in line and one technician. There wasn't time to stand there and read the full contract. With an issue as important as destroying the hard drive, I THINK THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE CLEAR TO ME, VERBALLY! I lost very important data which cannot be retrieved. I realize that I am equally responsible for loosing my data because of my stupidity for not backing it up. But I also think they should have taken the time to contact me first!!! Word of warning, either buy the extended APPLE warranty, or use a certified technician (other than Best Buy's Geek Squad)!
More Geek Squad Complaints & Reviews
- Geek Squad - geek squad - is a total rip off!
- Geek Squad - phone insurance
- Best Buy/geek Squad - tv repair took forever
- Best Buy Geek Squad - the geek squad really sucks!
- Best Buy / Geek Squad - laptop repair
- Geek Squad - repair a virus in my laptop - lost my entire data + fraud
- Geek Squad - did not replace defective part for freezer
- Geek Squad - can't fix my problem
- Geek Squad - moving old info from old microsoft hard drive to newly purchased hard drive work done with geek squad at hutchinson, mn location
- Best Buy / Geek Squad - dumb # geek squad agents!