GE Money Bank / Hhgregghhgregg promotional rate deferred interest rip-off!!!

M

I opened this account at Hhgregg to purchase items for our home. I was told by Hhgregg sales representative and managers that GE was an honest and good bank to use, so we trusted them and was set-up for 24 months same as cash financing for our purchases.

For the first year everything was fine. However in January of this year due to medical bills, employment changes, and personal finance issues, I needed to change my billing cycle. I contacted all my creditors (in advance) including GE and requested payment assistance and payment date changes. I told them I was working on refinancing my home mortgage and would be "paying off" all my accounts "in full" in a few months. All of my creditors were wonderful and happy to work with me, except GE Money Bank.

At first when I called GE, the customer service person said sure, we will change the payment date to a later billing cycle cut-off and said they would work with me. But then when got my next bill and sent in my February payment, come to find out they didn't make the change. I called GE customer service (which is a call center in India??) when I got my bill and saw a huge minimum due and a late charge, and the customer service rep said that they had not received my payment yet. I told him the amount I paid (which was the correct minimum required) and the date I mailed my payment. He said that since I had never been late, he would get the late fee removed once they received my payment and my billing cycle would be fixed on my next bill. I then get my March bill and see that my payment is reflected as late and I was charged another late fee. I called GE customer service again and come to find out they had miss-applied or lost my payment, but assured me it would be fixed. And to make matters worse they still had not corrected my billing cycle. The customer service rep then said to mark through the incorrect amount due and to send in my normal minimum payment due for March; which I did. Then at the end of March when my home refinance closing was being finalized, I called GE for a payoff, and they gave me the amount owed. I told the customer service rep that I was very unhappy with the way they had handled my account, and she acted like she could care less. I told her when my closing date was and when I would be sending in my final payoff. She said "fine" and hung-up.

Then in April, I received a "collection notice." I then contacted them at the [protected]) number listed on the letter and told them I was paying-off and closing my account before my next payment was due. I also explained to them how unhappy I was with their company. They assured me that once my account was paid, they would send me a letter confirming that everything was paid in full and closed. By the end of April, I had a letter confirming all was "PAID IN FULL" and the conformation of my payoff.

Now, almost one month later after I paid and closed my account, I received a bill for $529.00. I nearly passed out. With a sick feeling in my gut, I called GE customer service and was answered again by a customer service rep in a call center in India. I tried several times to get to the bottom of what had happened, all she could say is "my account was late and that I owed all of my deferred interest." I was then put on an endless hold and then transferred to a "supervisor." She said "my account had been paid late and that I still owed them for the so called "interest free" interest. Needless to say, I had a few choice words, which fell on deaf ears. I have NEVER, EVER been so dissatisfied with or ripped-off by a credit card company like I have been with GE Money. I will never do business with them and will tell every person I know to avoid doing business with both GE and Hhgregg. I also filed a complaint with the BBB and with the FTC.

• Ba
    BAILOUT Sep 15, 2010

HHGREGG/GE Money account.
    There is no way to update account using Quicken 2010.

Update does not work.

Online...all you can get is their HHGREGG acount website. NO DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE FOR YOUR ACCOUNT. ALL OTHER ACCOUNTS ARE AVAILABLE BY QUICKEN AUTO UPDATE.

YOU HAVE TO PRINT THE PAGE AND MAKE ENTRIES...MANUALLY.

WHERE IS THE HIGHLY RATED GE MONEY BANK UPDATE FOR ACCOUNT DOWNLOAD.

HIGH TECHNOLOGY?

• Mo
    Mona Jun 01, 2009

UPDATE: I wanted to let you all know that I have been contacted by Hhgregg/GE Money Bank regarding my complaint. They are now willing to correct their mistakes, and I'm willing to work with them. They have assured me that this matter will be resolved, and that I will receive a letter via mail that will confirm what they have promised. If I do not hear from them or receive the letter of correction for my account, I will re-open this complaint. Thanks for everyone's assistance, I really appreciate having somewhere to turn to when I needed assistance with these unfortunate matters.

• Mo
    Mona May 27, 2009

UPDATE: I was contacted via phone today by an assistant manager with Hhgregg, and they are in the process of assisting me with my account/billing problems with GE Money Bank. She was very kind and apologetic for the way GE Money Bank had treated me and mishandled my account. She also assured me that it will be resolved by next week. When I receive something in writing, I will gladly post another update.