GatewayScam and cheating

I received a letter telling me that I won the 2nd category in the amount of 100, 000.00USD through entry in Northamerican Sweepstakes in July. They said that my tax to the government would be 3, 900.00USD and they included a check for 4900.00USD to pay those taxes.

The balance of 95, 100.00USD would be sent to me after I called the claims person to claim my money. The tax money of 4900.00USD was to be sent directly to the tax person by money order or Western Union. I immediately checked on.

• Cl
    Clay House Jun 27, 2007

I purchased a high-end Gateway at the end of January. The first hint of trouble was a 30-day delay in getting the system despite customer service stating that it was "almost ready". If it had ended there, I would have been a happy camper.

Unfortunately, the computer has never worked since it arrived. When I enabled the Crossfire cards, the machine crashed and, after working with Gateway Support, had to be rebuilt. The tech support rep advised me to not enable CrossFire (why would you buy a machine with high-end graphics cards that can't be used???).

Over the past few months, I've had to rebuild the machine 6 times. I've tried updated drivers, different combinations of drivers, and different installation sequences but they the end result is the same - a quad-core machine that is slower, less stable, and has worse graphics than my 5-year old computer.

I've been working with computers as a hobby and professionally for more than 20 years. I LOVE computers and technology and am generally very good at troubleshooting. However, I'm at my wits end. Despite multiple calls to Gateway, ATI (the video card maker), and complaints to the consumer protection agencies of three states, I can't get Gateway to refund my money or replace the video card (since it seems to be at the center of the problem).

My latest attempt has absolutely nothing on a clean install (number 6) except for Norton Internet security and the game I'm using as a test program. The video is still horrible, performance is poor, and the machine crashes multiple times per day (even when idle - sleep is disabled).

The machine is so bad that I can't use it because I have no confidence that 1) it won't crash and I'll lose what I'm doing and 2) the performance is poor. It just sits under my desk while I use my old machine to write complaint letters. Not exactly a good use of money.

Robyn Lindsey Oct 30, 2007

Buyers Beware!!!! Computer ordered 10/9 with est delivery 10/31. On 10/29 received an email that it was delayed till 11/20, three weeks beyond the estimated delivery date. Explained I would be out of town at that time and Gateway graciously agreed to delay my order even further. Salesman originally said "10/31 but it usually ships sooner". Called to complain, got the run around so called to cancel. Received a message this am that order would be shipped middle of next week. Called again to cancel now told order was "ready to be shipped" but earlier had been told it had to be "tested" first. Got pretty fed up and angry with condescension by reps and no attempt at service recovery. Demanded refund and was told the delay was because my paying in advance had put a hold on the order and I should have called sales instead of costumer service. Now, I was told I would have to wait till the order to cancel was received in Tennessee and sent back to N. Dakota before they would refund my money... in 7 to 10 days after N. Dakota got the word of the final cancel. This is supposed to be a computer company. I wonder if their order and cancellation functions are electronic. They sure were able to take my money in record time!

Beware!

Robert Wells Nov 01, 2007

I have a Gateway laptop 400SD4 which I purchased about 3 to 4 years ago. Recently, because it was taking the battery a long time to recharge, I decided to order a new battery. It cost me about $135. By the time it arrived, my old battery had finally recharged, so I just kept the new one in the bubble wrap. It was 2 months later when I decided to use it, as the old one was again taking a long time. When I went to insert it in the battery bay, imagine my surprise when I saw that the new battery was 25% smaller, had a differently oriented connector, and was short on the current by 1500mAh. Yet when I called Gateway, they stood by their claim that I had the correct battery, since mine was a 400 series laptop. Now I'll admit the fine print said all complaints must be filed within 15 days, and okay, I'm willing to eat the $135. But don't they know their own products? What kind of commercial BS is this? And the senior account guy has not bothered to return my call. I don't trust Gateway any more. Maybe it's time to give the other guy a chance.

Robert Wells Nov 03, 2007

Update - I found the correct laptop batteries (Gateway, plus a generic Gateway Tanya at a lower price) at hqbatteries.com. Meanwhile, the senior guy did call back when I was away and left an acknowledgment of my call. Then I called him and left a message. Anyway, I'm not going to call any more.

• Be
    Beverly Dargo Dec 30, 2007

On 8/30/06 I bought a computer from Gateway. From all most the beginning, I had trouble with it. The flashing screen, and changing color. They sent me a new monitor. No change. I had to send computer back. No change. I filed a complaint with the DOJ and Gateway refused to do as asked. This went on for over a year, and I had to bring a tech in many times to try and fix it. No directions from Gateway techs worked. I became ill and had to have an aortic valve replaced The day after I got out of the hospital, Jodi Knaak from the Gateway executive office called. I asked if she would send one of their techs out to see what was wrong. She said I could talk to one of their techs. I wasn't well enough to do it, and she wouldn't let a tech call my local one. I had to send the computer back for the FOURTH time. No change. Finally, after over a year, I found someone working there that had some good sense. She told me that perhaps it was the cable that connected to the computer from the monitor. I was sent a new cable, put it in my self, and haven't had any trouble at all since. It cost me at least $200.00 to keep calling in my tech here, and Gateway said that wasn't in the agreement for them to pay. This is the treatment they gave a 74 old sick woman. I have a lot of documentation of this from email from the techs and the Department of Justice in OREGON.

• Am
    Amanda Oct 30, 2008

I bought a Gateway laptop about a year ago. Since then, I have had numerous problems with it.

The worst was the CD drive. IT BROKE 3 TIMES IN OEN YEAR! One day it just stopped reading CDs, DVDs, and games. I took it to Circuit City and they didn't know what was wrong with it. I called Gatewy repetedly until they agreed to send me a box and said they would fix it. They ended up replacing the entire motherboard of the compuer, so basically new. None of my files were saved. After about a month it broke again, so I sent it in again. And now, for a third time, it has broken. I give up. It's not worth the time nor the effort.

I am proudly switching to Apple.

Long story short, do not EVER buy a Gateway.

Ron Dec 24, 2008

I bought a laptop online, I checked to see if the Operating system disc worked, and it didn't. I called the toll free number within 2 weeks, the warranty was to be good for 30 days. I was told my warranty was expired, and needed to be transfered to another department to clear it up (not a toll free number).

The first Rep. I talked to took all my information, and transfered me to the other department where I waited more than 20 min. before hanging up. Upon calling back the non-toll free number the next day, they told me I needed to talk to a department that was closed for the night.

I called back the next day and they had none of my info on file. They transfered me to another department, and again I waited close to half an hour before hanging up.

The next time I contacted them I used E-mail and was told I would have to pay least 25 to 30$ for the disc and shipping, which should have worked when I bought it.

• Je
    Jeffry May 05, 2009

Sounds like this is a problem with these computers. I bought my for nearly $1000 at Best Buy (never again but that's another story). It's been in the shop for 9 months out of the time I've owned it. I keep sending it back to Gateway since Best Buy wouldn't take it back because it's defective and a lemon. This last time they erased my information without backing it up and it now has more problems than when I sent it in. They always turn it off by just pushing the button instead of properly. The sound card went out in May08 and they managed to fix that and erased all my information without giving me an opportunity to save it. They had it for 3 months!! Then when I got it back the keyboard was dented and it was all scratched up. Then the keyboard wouldn't work so I sent it back again. When I got it back, the mouse wouldn't work so I sent it back. They replaced the keyboard again but mouse still didn't work. I got on the phone for 3 hours with a tech who did a live take over of my computer and fixed that but my computer now wouldn't turn off. I've sent it back and they didn't do anything to it and said they turned it on for two hours and watched it...the mouse didn't move and so they turned it off. Now I have it back and all the information is erased again, I'm getting a blue screen and it just keep restarting and going through all the sounds the computer makes complete with all my music in little snippets. They now say that my computer is out of warranty and I'll have to take it locally to someone on my own expense. I can't believe they don't back up their product. Also they have actually created more problems than what I originally had. It's like why didn't I just give to a bunch of monkey's to play with, throw around and try to break? The outcome would have been the same only without the shipping costs of sending to Gateway in Texas. The corporate office contact person is completely useless since she says "Oh, I'm not in technical support, just send it in and our great team will fix it for you." Oh if only, lame ###!

• Ju
    Justin Aug 09, 2009

I cannot even believe how low the quality control is at Gateway. Tablet PCs are shipped without a Windows repair disk, and files get corrupted seemingly weekly. The tablet pens stop working after about 4 months because they didn't check if the manufacturer used appropriate materials - the steel spring and aluminum battery get so corroded that the pen stops working. My battery won't hold a charge at all anymore, I have to plug it in to use my computer. I don't know what they think quality assurance means, but to me it means never buying another Gateway.

Matthew55904 Aug 17, 2009

thats how gateway has always been though we bought 1 gateway in 2001 it died a year later some use it was

• Ga
    Gar Aug 19, 2009

On August 24, 2003, I ordered a Gateway Plasma TV, no extended warranty, just the standard warranty. Because I thought these were great TVs and that they would last a long time. But I was wrong. On May 31, 2005 was the last day the Plasma TV worked. I didn't use it any differently from any other day, nor did I connect or add any other equipment to it. I would turn on the TV and see the icon show up just briefly then the picture would go away, following a click sound from the back of the TV. The green power light would then remain on, and I could not turn off or turn on the TV using the power button. The green light remained on. So I had to use the main power switch to rest it just to get the same results. So the next business day I called Gateway customer service to tell them what happened. I was then connected with tech. support. I addressed the problems and they reminded me of the warranty being expired and then offered me the in-home service for a technician to come and look at the TV. They said that it would be $200 for the visit, $250 for labor plus the cost of the part that needed to be replaced. I was told there are only three replacement parts for the TV and if those parts were not defective then I was out $450. But when the technicians came they said that there are 3 parts which were defective and needed a change. It was just 2 years and so much, after all I had no alternative and asked them to replace the part they said that they would be coming the following day with the part, but its been a week no one has turned up. On calling them they say that the parts are out of stock and I had to wait. Now its 1 month the TV is just lying as a show piece in my house.

• Wi
    Wilis Ty Aug 29, 2009

I ordered a laptop computer from Gateway last May. The first week I had the computer I have had many problems with the computer crashing. I called them and they did some quick tweaks. They kept tweaking my computer until the warranty was expired. I sent it into Texas last year and when it came back I was electrocuted twice so I took it to a local tech. Last week I was shocked again and the motherboard caught on fire. I called Gateway and they told me there was nothing they could do because it was out of warranty. Even though I had problems within the first seven days of receiving my laptop. I also bought 2 new batteries because the computer would not charge my batteries because of a short. I have had numerous problems with a laptop that is only a year and a half old. They wanted to charge me $600 for a new motherboard that only cost them $400.

• Sm
    S.M.Jackson Aug 30, 2009

Your complaint supports my belief that Gateway is a lousy company with inferior products AND BestBuy is no better.

• Co
    Coprswife Sep 15, 2009

My husband purchased me a gateway computer on 10-15-2008. Within 30 days of owning the system, the monitor coloring was all messed up then, the hard drive fried. I tried to take it back to the POP Best Buy who informed me it was over 15 days so all that could be done was to have it sent out for repair which could take up to a 4-6 week period for each piece. I was not happy in the least as no one wanted to stand behind this product whether it was the store that carried the products of the manufacturer. I took the system home talked to my husband told him what they said and set the computer aside as some family medical issues arose, figureing they where not going to do much anyway. When I did take the system in for repair I was told after the full 6 weeks that it was a manufacturer defect with the hard drive and that i had to get recovery disk...taken aback by this I asked why it took 6 weeks to figure that out & why if the system had just been with Gateway to be repaired... was it not repaired at that time as IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY USAGE and was the companies defect. They said Gateway wants you to buy the disks to recover it...Ummmm buy disks? Why do I need to buy disks as THIS WAS NO FAULT OF MINE...? Apparently for those of you who do not know Gateway will not release the disks to companies that carry their product as they are afraid they will make copies and basiclly steal the 22.00 disks from the multi billion dollar company. So again I leave the store without my computer, go home tell my husband. He tells me to call GATEWAY and ask them to send the disks. After being run around on the phone with GATEWAYS automated service then bounced between MULITPLE OPERATORS telling me i am connected to the wrong department, i finally reach a lovely gentlemen (who's no offense intented) but spoke very poor english and could not be understood, told us that we had to have BEST BUY call them to request the disks or we have to purchase them. Hmmmmmmmmm well if we didn't break the computer and it was not our fault why should we have to purchase something to repair your defect. Apparently those where our only options. So we called Best Buy and informed them. They said GATEWAY WOULD NOT RELEASE THE SOFTWARE TO THEM. OK so if you haven't noticed we are running in a vicious circle her with neither company wanting to take responsibility, apparently Gateway thinks it was my fault my husband picked a defective computer off the shelf. So please bare in mind we are at almost 4 months into the proccess of trying to get this repaired. So now we are getting calls from BEST BUY TELLING US THEY WANT THE SYSTEM PICKED UP...HELLO ANYONE HOME I WANT IT FIXED FIRST!!! Ok at this point i tell my husband I am done he can deal with them. He calls the numbers supplied by Best Buy for GATEWAY again.. he get the same run around, wrong departments, transfers, then and swith another lovely hard to understand gentlemen with poor english...after a 45 minute runaround telling him they will not release the disks without the 22.00 fee because anyone who owns a computer knows you are somehow suppose to make recovery disks. Apparently we are in the 2% of the population who doewn't know. Long and short of it after arguing we should not have to pay for disks as this was no fault of ours and reiterating MANUFACTURE DEFECT TO THE LOVELY GENTLEMEN my husband says he wants this over and gives him hs credit card information not once, not, twice, but has to repeat it 3 times. THe gentlemen informs my husband the disks will be here in 3-8 buisness days. We wait 3 weeks NO DISKS SHOW UP. So now agravated even more I call back get the usual automated run around then get the personal runaround of wrong department so forth and so on. I get another fine speaking gentlemen who informs me he has no record of the disks being shipped or the order. At this point i will admit I am slightly furrious and demand a supervisor. He tries to offer me other options and i rather loudly repeatedly demand a supervisor. After 5 minutes of me repeatedly demanding a supervisor he transfers me. After several minutes on hold a "NICE" gentlemen named James badge number 25793 get's on the phone and informs me that no order was placed for the disks! I said you have got to be kidding me, what do you think my husband was supplying his credit card number to the gentlemen we talked to 3 weeks ago for? I told him to check the conversation and the notes and explain why on god great green earthwe would hand over our credit card information for if not to purchase the disk, that first of all we should not have to buy. He repeated he has no record of the numbers. I told him if he did not have the record who & what where his emplyees doing with our credit card information. Did he think we just randomly call companies and give out our credit information to whoever happens to answer. He kindly informed me "we have no proof we supplied the information as he has no record of it" I inturn said are you calling me & my husband a liar? his response was "you and your husband could very well possibly be liars" now this, THIS sent me over the edge. How dare he! This was suppose to be a supervisor to deal with complaints not insult & belittle customers. As the conversation went on with his condesending comments which i had informed him I repeat verbatum to my husband...he actually had the nerve to say "he was sure I would color the truth to my husband" at this point I had enough. I asked for his supervisor. DEMANDED a supervisor he told me there was no one higher than him and refused to give me any further information on who i could contact. I again told him there had to be someone above him he said NO and told me to have agood day and hung up. This to me is appauling and dispicable behavior for a company to condone. Still I have no computer, been given the run around and myself & husband insulted.

• Ne
    nedined Oct 16, 2009

I am SO frustated! i just bought a laptop for almost $600 last Saturday. On Sunday, it starts to freeze up and get these blank screens or screens that has lines going up and down. I have to power it back up for it to read a error message stating that "windows did not shut down properly"! i took it back to best buy (thank god it is still within the 14 day range) and they told me that they can see that it is the touchpad not working. They told me to get a new one. I got it Wednesday, and now - WHY IS IT DOING THE SAME THING!!! I have called gateway plenty of times and the only thing they can tell u is to send it back to them in Texas! I am in Michigan! How is it that they have NO authorize dealers here? Come on! I will be back at Best Buy and either going to get the money back or I am just going to switch to Hewlett Packard. Never had a problem with them!

• Ka
    katiejenkins Nov 10, 2009

I totally sympathise with you!!! we bought our Gateway from Best Buy in Oct. of 2008. in the year of owning it, we've had to take it in 3 times!!! The last time was because the charging cord that came with the laptop melted into the back of our computer, charred our carpet and fried the mother board!!! we took it into Best Buy, they said it would be about 2 weeks before it was fixed, after 2 weeks they decided to call us and tell us that it would be a bit longer...so over a month later, we get it back. they did NOT replace the charging cord, we did NOT have $150.00 to just go and buy a new cord, so we were not able to check that the laptop worked in tip top shape. a month later, last weekend, we went and bought a cord, got home...the laptop would turn on but the screen was BLACK!! we took it to Best Buy and they said that because they had our laptop during the time our manufacturer's warranty ran out, we are liable for any damages done to the computer here on out. so WE have to pay for something that wasnt fixed the first time. and now that our warranty is gone, we cant call Gateway unless we pay to talk to somone!!! I tried to contact them when this all started at first, to get someone to replace the charging cord that almost set our house on fire, and of course, I couldnt talk to a real person!! we are at a loss for words right now and will NEVER give our business to Gateway again!!! NEVER EVER EVER!!!

• Ga
    Gaop Jan 07, 2010

In mid July I sent my computer in for service work to repair a defective port that allows my laptop to charge. I sent it from my current address, and within 3 days I had it returned to me and it wasn’t fixed. I called MPC to request that they take my computer again since it was still not holding a charge. In two days they sent a box for the computer, but they sent it to my old address. I retrieved it from my old address and wrote on a form they had enclosed to make sure they sent it to my current address. In addition to that form, I taped a piece of paper to the computer itself, stating that when repairs were complete they needed to send the computer to my current address. In three days time, they sent the computer back to me, but sure enough they sent it to my old address. Since no one was able to sign for it, it was returned to a Fed-EX warehouse, where it got water on it and was completely ruined. I received a call from MPC informing me that the computer had gotten ruined, and that there was a process to get a claim #, and then get me a new computer. I was told this would take 30 days, at which point I told them that was unacceptable, and requested I speak with a manager. When I spoke with a manager, I was told they would try to expedite it, and that they would contact me every Monday to let me know the progress. I was called the following Monday and told a claim # had come in and they would start building my computer, and at the very longest, it would be about 30 days. I was of course upset with the delay, but accepted it. By this time is was the beginning of August. At the end of August, I had heard NOTHING from MPC regarding my computer (even though the manager had stated she would be in contact weekly), so I called MPC and was told that the computer still had not been built, but that there was an expected delivery date of Sept 9th. In addition to this information, I was told that I should feel grateful that I was receiving a new computer (even though they had ruined my other computer) because it was coming with a new 4year warranty and was more technologically advanced. I was shocked at the audacity that their company would take his stance, when they were in the wrong. I hung up, and waited for the September 9th deadline. Sure enough when Sept 9th came around, there was no computer. Today (September 11th), I called again and was told that they still had not started building my computer, no was there an estimated ship date. I was floored!!! I couldn’t believe that they were continuing to treat customer in such a careless manner. At this point I am so irate, I just don’t want to deal with it, and I still am without a computer. I will do whatever it takes to help others not do business with this company!!! Spread the word.

Choss Feb 02, 2010

I have tried to contact MPC for the last 3 months for service to my Gateway computer. I puchased the system direct from Gateway and the service contract at that time. MPC hasn't answered their phone calls or emails for the last three plus months. Only recorded messages. No response from emails. I contacted Gateway support and they stated they couldn't do anything it was an MPC problem. I tried the suggested numbers and email contacts given to me by Gateway to contact them, still no results. I received a work order number the first week of October, and haven't had any contact from them since.

Gateway is the worst company to by systems from direct, they don't even stand behind their systems they sell directly.

• Re
    Remeng Feb 03, 2010

I purchased a MD7820u Laptop for $599.00 as advertised with 4gb of DDR3 memory and an ATI RAdeon HD3650 Graphics card. But actually the MD7820u ships with 4GB DD2 memory and an Intel GM4500HD Graphics chip. Have contacted Gateway and they say that I need to deal with OfficeMax to resolve the issue. OfficeMax says they will not except open box for return. Also would like to mention that this is not the only error the MD7822u, MD7826u, also report different specification.

Mavvre Feb 04, 2010

I bought an Acer Aspire One Netbook computer. A very good computer - until it broke after 3 months of using it. It just wouldn't boot up. So - I went to contact customer service. Now - NOTHING in Acer's materials that they supply when you buy the computer contains a phone number to reach them. NOTHING. In fact, if you go to there website for tech support online (which is also terrible) - you can't find a phone number there either! They purposely hide it! I'm not making this up either - it really can't be found. I found it by googling for it online - and it turns out that a PC Magazine reviewer had been so kind as to post it online after also finding it impossible to find. [It's [protected] by the way.]

When you call it's a good 5-10 minutes of getting through to someone through a maze of entering serial numbers for your machine. When I finally got through, indeed I had a problem that required sending the machine back. At first though, at my expense, I was told to go to Geek Squad or somewhere like that (cost me $65) because Acer would not save or get my data off my hard drive - once I sent the computer back it would likely come back with a reformatted hard drive. So I did that. And then I was told to ship the computer, at my own expense to their repair facility. I'll remind you again that this computer is under warranty and is 3 months old.

So I send it in, and they keep it for almost two weeks before it is sent back to me. During that time there is no way to know its status or when it might be returned to me.
    And when it comes back - I turn it on - and again it doesn't boot up. Just doesn't work. So I call in AGAIN - and am told to send the computer back in AGAIN to them. This time ACER will spring for the cheapest possible (3 day ground Fed Ex Shipping) return shipping - BUT they make it very difficult because instead of providing a Fed Ex Billing number or a shipping label - they provide something called a "Fed Ex Drop Off #" which only authorized Kinko Fedex or actual Fed Ex branch people know what to do with. It's used so infrequently if you call Fed Ex (which I did) they don't know what it is either. AND the Acer reps on the phone don't tell you this - so if you go to a regular Fed Ex location (like a Mail Box etc.), which I did, everyone is confused until on my own I figure this out by calling into Acer support yet again. Oh - and Acer support is run by a separate company that won't identify itself - it's not even ACER. And if you send in your computer AGAIN as I did they don't even expedite the repair - you go into the same queue as first time repairs. So now my machine is on its 3-day return trip to Acer - and we'll see what happens when I get it back in another two weeks. I'm already out $65 + $11 for my original shipping to them - and this is on a $380 machine. This is the worst customer experience I've had in my life and I would highly recommend that you do not buy the Acer Aspire One - unless you believe nothing will ever go wrong.

• Sh
    Shonne Feb 04, 2010

Today my NX500X laptop power cord died, my warranty ends Saturday 2/7/09. I looked up my system on Gateway to see my warranty had been sold to MPC. I tried for hours to contact them via telephone to find they have closed/filed Chapter 11. Called Gateway warranty department and sat on hold for 3hrs, 25min before hanging up. I then called Gateway and selected the option to purchase a new computer, someone picked up in less than 10 seconds. (Nice way to treat already existing customers, Gateway) I vented and now am sharing my anger with you all. Looks like I'll start shopping for an apple/Mac.

• Li
    Linkarss Feb 19, 2010

I ordered a laptop from Gateway in August of 2008. I recieved my laptop in September. In October of 2008 I contacted Gateway to let them know that the pre-installed software for Microsoft was not working. They advised me to contact Microsoft. I have been working with Microsoft since October of last year and they were not able to solve the problem at that time. The other day I was on the laptop registering for school when it cut off. At first I said to myself maybe the battery is loose. When I checked it, it was in tact. I cut the computer back on. The first thing I saw was the Gateway sreen. It never moved off. Five minutes later the Realtek boot screen came up telling me "no operating system found." I contacted Gateway to let them know what the problem was. Like most companies now a days they to have out-sourced employees. Their center is located in India. I talked to four associates in India who kept trying to tell me it was a software issue and kept trying to get me to send my computer to Texas where "it would take 18 days for them to figure out what was wrong or I could purchase a service agreement for $59.99, $129.99, and $199.99" for a software issue that did not exist. At this point I contacted Microsoft via chat online. The representative was more than helpful. She even did a confernce call to Gateway for me. The Gateway rep did not want to hear what the Microsoft rep or I was trying to tell him. After I raised my voice a couple of times he decided to give me what he thought was help. He said, "since your computer is under warranty I can put in a request to send you a new hard drive at no charge to you, but you pay for shipping and handling. You send us your hard drive, and once we get it we will send you a new one." "The second option we will charge your credit card, send you a new hard drive, and remove the charge once we get the faulty one back." I did not understand why I should have to pay for anything when a total of nine representatives from Gateway, including a supervisor and an escalation team member told me it was not my fault it was "faulty hardware" which was covered under warranty. Also why it took Microsoft 2 hours and 29 minutes to tell me what was wrong with my laptop and why Gateway could not figure it out and did not want to believe the rep from Microsoft in a day and a half . I could see if I owed Gateway some money, but the laptop was paid for. They were not willing to come out of their pockets for anything even though it was the companies fault. They were rude, impatient, inconsistent, not to mention their representatives in India were not knowlegable on the companies products or technical support. Basically I have a $900.00 laptop, that is 7 months old, that I have to fix out of my own pocket. I may not even have it by the time I start school. I would not recommend Gateway to anyone based on their warranty agreement, their faulty products, their lack of technical support, or their lack of customer service. I believe that if your going to take jobs from the US and place them in other countries because of cheap labor the least your company can do is make sure the employees you hire have the proper training. I do hope that anyone who has delt with this company or is currently dealing with does not have the same experience I did.

Markonne289 May 05, 2010

I called Gateway to ask about a broken power button on my out-of-warranty laptop, which is two years old. They told me to send it in; they would assess the damage and call me with a quote. I could then either accept the repair work or have my laptop shipped back. First, though, they needed to put a $450 hold on my credit card. If I decided not to accept the repair work it would be refunded. If the repair work was less than $450, I would receive the balance.

A week later, I got my laptop back fixed without ever receiving that call. There was no receipt indicating service completed, but the $450 charge remained. When I called customer service, they denied the policy of giving customers a quote. Why would I pay $450 to replace a power button on a two-year-old $600 laptop? After much haggling, Gateway finally agreed to refund $250. I was upset they wouldn't acknowledge their fault, but this was a reasonable compromise.

Almost five months later, I still haven't received the refund. Now Gateway has no customer service line that will speak to me as an out-of-warranty customer (even though I paid $450 for a repair). I can only send emails, to which I only get the standard response: Your computer is out of warranty, so we cannot talk to you. Your refund has been denied. No further explanation is given.

Gateway's misleading repair service and dishonest customer service has wasted $450 of my money. Instead of a new laptop, I'm stuck with the same, slow running Gateway. Don't make the same mistake I did. Stay away from this company.

• Di
    disgruntled popo May 05, 2010

I have a laptop that got the Trojan Horse. I called Gateway to get the recovery media overnighted to me. They did this for an extra $20.00 but then the recovery media was corrupt. I called customer service back and they did send me out another set of recovery disks but those took ten days. Thus, I did not have my computer for 2 weeks.

• Gr
    Grubive Jun 14, 2010

I wish to file a complaint regarding my laptop purchased 3/01/09. One day before the one year warranty was up my laptop failed. I spoke to customer service THAT day and they told me my warranty had expired. Doesn't a 1 year warranty mean one year or 365 days? Apparently not to Gateway. I loved this laptop. It worked perfectly until Feb 28th. I shut it down on the 27th of Feb and when I attempted to turn it on the next morning I got nothing! No fan, no motor, no lights, nothing. I am so disappointed in Gateway! ONE YEAR SHOULD MEAN ONE YEAR!

• St
    Stefanie G Jun 14, 2010

I have a Gateway, they could not find it in there system, when I called I had a one year warrety, plus paid for an extra 3 years, I have never got it taken care of, they, never offered to help. I purchased the comp. from HSN, i was told it was new, it was refirbished.

• Da
    Daynu Feb 14, 2011

I was sold a brand new, essentially non-working desktop. From day one, there were problems, which culminated in multiple re-bootings, factory re-settings, and service (which I had to pay shipping for--$60--though it was under warranty). When I received my computer back, which they claimed had a replaced hard drive, the cover was off, and after starting normally once, it wouldn't start Windows again. I am requesting a full refund or new computer. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this company--their product is total crap, and you will never have anything but issues and money (and time) down the drain.

• Ji
    Jill4Guy Feb 14, 2011

My experience with Gateway goes back to 1990 when I got a computer from them that had a defective hard drive. I was a nice customer. I allowed them to repair it, but it still would not work. I sent it back a second time. When it came back again still not working, I asked for another hard drive. "Sorry, " I was told. " The part is more than 90 days old and is out of the warranty period." I asked to speak with the supervisor and was rebuffed again. Since then I have never again purchased anything from Gateway, no matter how good the price. I tell my friends not to deal with Gateway. One of my friends bought a Gateway computer without my knowledge and had nothing but repairs done on it. Just what I expected.

• Ra
    Ravana Mar 03, 2011

Hi,
    Iam a microsoft certified technician. I can help you with the problem and get it fixed.
    My Email address is [email protected] you can send your contact information and i can arrange a call to troubleshoot the issue. Services provided to you will be for free as an introductory offer.
    Thanking you,
    Martin
    Ravana The Nerd Squad

• Mu
    Murdake Mar 15, 2011

Their support line is terrible, they offer no solutions, or just leave you hanging after they tell you to re-install Windows. I am still waiting for a response from their "Case Management" department.

I also, out of frustration, asked for the corporate headquarters' phone number and or location and was told, "We are not at liberty to give you that." I did reach someone who told me after I complained about having to format the disc and re-install and write the disc from scratch that, as a consumer, I should know how to do these things. I replied, I am not, nor do I want to be a computer tech --- this is not why I purchased a new computer --- to spend days of my time trying to fix it.

I have 16 pages of documentation of times and dates and conversations as to my problems with this computer and yet, Gateway still continues to try to sweep me under the rug. Their tech support and customer service is HORRIBLE!

• De
    deeann dibble Jan 31, 2012

i bought a gateway laptop computer on jan.31. 2011.i also bought a high qulity warrenty.to coer anything that went bad on my laptop computer. i took my laptop into frys on aug22 2011.my service request order was my laptop was running very slow . ;and also my number keys kept falling off i would snap the keys back on but the keys wouldnt stay on .frys tech told me the problems i was having was my doings .itold the tech for a brand new laptop almost 7 months old shouldnt be having problems the tech said i bought a demo laptop .isaid oh no i bought a new laptop then if i bought a demo then thesefor all my laptop problems i asked for my money back are frys problems the tech said my warrenty is not coverd with these problems frys said i would need to pay 70.00 dollars before my new warrenty would cover any problems with my laptop. they would not work on my laptop .on sept.4 2011. i took my laptop back in to frys for requst service order speakers riht side not working computer dosent boot into users account.unit is in for a restore kb.143258.frys kept my laptop for aweek .i requested a loaner which my warrenty saids this warrenty includes a loaner frys deined me a loaner because i didnt have a cridet card . when i picked up my laptop at frys. they had it for one week frys tech did nothing to my laptop wants me to pay for all my laptop problems . iasked for a re or my money back the tech. response was we cant do thatplacement laptop or a refund . because i bought a demo . ifeel was taken iwas to buy a new laptop i paid almost 200.00 dollars for my warrenty . i have nothing but headaches i dont have the hundreds of dollars frys wants to fix all my laptop problems i should not of had these headaches .now i have no laptop it comes on and shuts off i cant use it at all .i paid for agood warrenty that is useless a computer laptop that wont stay on.and 620.00 dollars wasted. thank you deeann dibble po box 23035 ventura ca 93002 my contact phone is [protected] thank you very much i hope and pray you can give a very good otcome for this problem .

safiye ozuak Jul 17, 2015

Although only once I ordered a sample product from this company they kept sending the product every month and charging on my credit card without permission. I don't even use them. How can I stop it? This is a credit card fraud!!

• Un
    Unidale Aug 24, 2016

Be careful because Gateway has at least one tech that doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground.

The hard drive on my Daughter's 6 month old Gateway crashed and when she finally got through on the toll free support line the tech wouldn't listen. He kept trying to transfer her to the paid ($3.95 a minute) software support line. She hung up and brought the PC to me.

Half the time the BIOS said there was no drive installed and the other half the PC would lock up about the time it was supposed to start loading the OS.

The Western Digital software I downloaded from the WD web site couldn't even find the drive when the BIOS said it was there.

The call to WD took less than ten minutes and it was all at no cost to us.

Western Digital even paid shipping on both the new drive and the defective one I returned.

• Ge
    GeoJ88 Aug 24, 2016

This computer is under warranty and the ENTER key quit working. There were no spills and no damage done to the system. I was a portables engineer at Gateway, so I am trained on what to look for. I contacted Gateway's chat support and this person had me try the key. He/she claimed it was accidental damage and was not covered. They also claimed that if it was a product flaw, the whole keyboard wouldn't work. As an engineer, I know that's absolutely false - I've seen keys fail. They won't do anything, so I need to buy my own keyboard to replace it.

I think that's shameful and shows that Gateway does not back up their warranty at all. I asked what would happen if I bought a system, took it home, and one key didn't work? Would it be covered? I never got an answer.

I'm willing to replace the keyboard myself - I shouldn't have to buy a keyboard though. Gateway's tech support is totally incompetent and of absolutely no help.